Masters Running

Need new Garmin or other GPS watch (Read 19 times)

Yikes! I thought this would be easy just to pick one and order at Amazon or REI. I can't find my Garmin 301 and don't really care to look very far for it. It has seen better days. The buttons either rarely work without using a stylus or pen. The velcro on the strap was bad and needed replacing too. It was a gift from the kids in 2005 so time for a new one. I really don't care what it costs, I just want it the new one to work right.

I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages of the devices my friends here at RA use. I am kind of tired of the huge screen on mine, but don't know if the round screen on the Garmin 220 or 620 would be too drastic a change for me. I run, bike and maybe will start swimming (a friend has a sprint tri she thinks I should do!). The FR910XT looks like it has all the bells and whistles. Anyway, I looked for the thread that was on RA last year about this topic and cannot find it. If someone could direct me there or post here, that would be great.

Thanks a bunch!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Starr,

When I started Triathlon training a couple of years ago I bought the Garmin FR910XT.  Yes, it's pricey.  But it does *everything* you could need for Tri training and racing - including using it while swimming.  I don't do Triathlons anymore - just couldn't make myself train in the pool - but I still use the 910 and love it.

A number of Triathletes use Timex GPS's but I know nothing about the specifics or the models.  You might head over to BeginnerTriathlete.com and look through their various forums.  People are pretty friendly there and they'll be happy to help out.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong