Masters Running

FRIDAY, July 30 Daily ....... (Read 516 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Happy, Happy Friday!!!

Rest day for me .... ya right.    I didn't run, but was awake at 4:45 and never could go back to sleep.   Why is that way when you don't have to get up???     Last night I made two loaves of zucchini bread and DH took one to work with him.   I told him not to share it until he tries it first!   I made a slight error with the baking powder and tried to scoop some out ..... might have been the wine while mixing?   Hmmmmm..........

I feel so unprepared for tomorrow's 10K.   At leat the weather looks cool for the start which isn't until 8:30.    My plan is to just run and enjoy.

Deb - where are you????

{{{Erika}}}  A tragedy like that is very hard to cope with.   My daughter's good friend was killed a few years ago and I had a terrible time dealing with it.... mostly from the standpoint of what his parents had to have been going through.   I'm not sure I could handle it either.

Dave59 - good to see you out on your bike for a ride, other than to the candy store!    Smile  

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

BlazinCajun

Erika - Sad tragedy. As runners this should remind us to look both ways while crossing intersections. Also, when cars are pulling out of businesses trying to turn right they never look for a runner coming from their right - I had to slap the hood of a pickup truck just as he was pulling out - never do that again.

Jon - great discription of the White River 50-mile Endurance Run that you gave in Wednesday's Thread. 

Welcome back Francesca

Wasn't able to post yesterday. Yesterday, ran about 3 miles at recovery pace and ran 1/2 mile barefoot.

Today,  ran a 1-mile warm up; next 4-miles ran 1-10sec strider every 1/4 mile@6:00/mile with recoveries run at easy pace (8:49/mile); 1-mile cool down. Total workout 6 miles.

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

Erika's story yesterday struck a nerve with me.

A week ago Monday just before 7AM a local runner happened across a young man and woman hanging from the rafters of a park pavilion.  Fortunately it was not me or DW who happened upon them, though we live no more than 3/4 of a mile from that park.  DW runs there sometimes - I normally do not.  The 22 yo man died immediately.  The 24 yo woman lingered in intensive care for a week before passing away Tuesday.  They apparently had a history of recreational drug use.

My DS is 22 as well and I worried that he may have known the 22 yo man but when they released the names several days later he did not.  The woman left a note that read "Mom, it's not your fault".  I fail to see how that could ever make her mother feel better.

4 very slow recovery miles at 10:17 pace.  Average HR 119.  Everything hurt this morning.  It's funny how the recovery runs are often the worst runs.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Erika - yes, quite a sad thing.  My next door neighbor's son was killed when he  tried to cross the street in front of the elementary school about 8 years ago.  I think about him every time I run past the spot.  His mom has never really recovered.

No run this morning - just fizzy lifting, stepperfication and spin cycle.  Tomorrow the beach, and Sunday filets on the grill for Long-Suffering's birthday bash.

Mary - sometimes the races with the least amount of expectations going in are the most enjoyable.  Have a great 10k!

Marathon Maniac #957

Mary – I commented to DH recently that by the time I can sleep in as long as I want (when I retire), I’ll likely be an insomniac...

Breger and Erika – sad, sad...it’s true that once I had children of my own I became deeply affected by these incidents as I never did before....

60° this morning....ahhhhh....and wouldn’t you know it’s a non-running day for me?  Well, a little bit of running...30 minutes of upper body and core, followed by 2 recovery miles....

This is my last day of work for 10 days (YAY!) because we’re taking a vacation next week.  We’re taking the whole week off work, but we’re only leaving town from Tuesday through Saturday, heading to Pipestem State Park Resort in West Virginia.  DH and I had originally planned to go away for this weekend, too, up to boat races on Lake Erie, but at the last minute we opted for a relaxing weekend home instead.  We've been much busier this summer, and need some rest from all the fun we've been having...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

jtv

Byll/Erika - terribly sad tragedies.

Mary - Good luck in your 10K

Holly - enjoy your vacation.

4 easy miles in 43:40 this am.  What a beautiful morning.  Since it's been sooo hot lately, it almost felt cold.

evan, so sorry to hear of the terrible accident in your community.  deez, continued thoughts going your way as your son keeps getting the treatment he needs.  Keep us informded as to what's going on.  CNY, thoughts going your way for Super Granny and the rest of the family.  holly, I hope you enjoy your vacation.  You deserve it.

Nice long runs for evan (with consistent pacing) and CNY (with speedwork).  Good job on the speedwork for Blazin.

This morning, it was about 60° and almost calm.  I got in 4miles in a bit under 40:30 for a 10:06 pace.  This afternoon, I'm off to get my daughter and go to Peoria to look for an apartment for her internship this coming year.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Have a great time with your daughter tselbs and happy hunting for an apartment.

Enjoy your vacation Holly and....NO working around the house...relax girlfriend!!!!

Slept in a bit this morning, then 8 miles with a 5 minutes negative split. This run included 5x4minutes at a faster pace.

Once again I came back home from a run with some bleeding thighs...it seems like not matter how much glide I use I am still having problems there...any suggestion?

Enjoy your Friday and tell your friends how much you love them. Today is "Friendship Day" in South America.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Hi Mary!!   Thanks for asking about me!    I decided this morning to just  stop worrying about catching up.  But I hate being so behind.    It's harder & harder to post at work, my tendonitis still makes it hurt to type very much,  & I'm just overall-overwhelmed.     Sorry, that sounds whiney & I didn't mean it that way at all.  It was just an explanation.   Sorry you didn't catch up on your sleep this morning!  I do that too.   though I love getting up early & just having the time to relax a little while it's still quiet.     Have fun tomorrow!

Andrew, I just noticed your marathon post the other day.   that sounds exciting!

Where is Sue?   I was glad to see Enke post,  

Holly, I'm sorry about how that whole 'interview' thing turned out.   After all you went through to make it there.  Sorry I've missed... did you ever call them or anything?         Yep 60º (thanks Andrew.  we'd talked about that before once, but I"d forgotten..)   this morning here too!   Yesterday was IRC but not a running day.   I did get out today.

So glad you get a vacation.  Hope you really relax a little.   you do so much I think it could be hard to slow down.

jtv, are you injury free now?

TomS... that is a relief about your re-do on the blood tests!   

tw... still no flare-up?    ...  is it still insanely hot there?   Congrats to Sandy.   Hope you find a nice place for her.

Erika & Byll... hugs to you & to your communities.   It's hard even from here but I know it hits harder for some reason when i'ts closer to home.     Very sad.

better stop.   This morning went pretty well, & I'm so relieved because I might have broken one of my toes, wasn't sure if I could run.  1 mile w/u, 4.5@ 10K pace, 1 mile c/d.   As usual I just guessed at pace, & targeted more the effort.  am battling with my Polar  to get it calibrated correctly, but I think the numbers were right.  Didn't wear my hrm just because.  Av. pace was 9:34.   I think!

mta:  'morning Nancy!   Nice run, but ouch!!  I don't have any suggestions.  but I can join you a little, lately I kick my right ankle with the heel of my left shoe and since I keep doing it doesn't heal.

Erika and Bill - Very sad, indeed.

Mary - I would have to get rid of Wilson in order to sleep in.  So far, I haven't been willing to part with the little tyrant.

Holly - Enjoy your time off! 

Usually an SRD for me, but due to tomorrow's highly anticipated notary class, I'll be running my 16 trail miles after work.  Even talked Karen into changing her schedule to run with me, and Coach is going to meet up with us at some point.  "After work" isn't too bad, since I'm leaving at 3:00.  Figured since the notary class benefits the office and I'll be there for 7+ hrs, they can give me the 2 hrs in the afternoon.

Last night did about 50 min of core and upper body work.  I've been using a Swiss ball ever since I watched the videos of that Ridgeline Fitness.  Watched some more the other night and have changed some of the moves to make them harder.  I can definitely tell a difference in my core strength.  Too bad it's all still hidden under what I think I will now lovingly refer to as the Premenopausal Layer.

Have a great weekend, folks.  Stay safe ~

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Erika, I could calibrate my watch to your splits.

Bill - If I really hauled a$$, I might be able to meet your recovery pace

Holly - enjoy the vacation

Day 2 of stomach flu, but getting better.  At least it is negating all the cheeseburgers I ate on vacation.  Thanks for the advice TW.  I will pick some up incase my DH and DS get it, or for future infections.

I hope I can run tomorrow, but feel it is not likely.  What a low mileage month this has been.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Enjoy your vacation Holly and....NO working around the house...relax girlfriend!!!!

No can do...we have a friend who will be staying in our house to take care of the critters while we are gone, and no way am I going to let someone come in and see the dust that I have allowed to gather of late....serious house-cleaning will ensue...

Nice run for you today, but OUCH on the bleeding thighs.....can you carry some glide or Vaseline with you and re-apply during your run?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I might have broken one of my toes, wasn't sure if I could run. 

What's this?  Details, young lady!

{{{Enke's tummy}}}

wildchild

Carolyn

So where's Walt?  He said he'd see us in the Friday daily, and I want to know what's up with the 15 minutes of fame?

Deb, good to see you. Nice run!

Holly, have fun on your vacation!  Did you mention a while ago that this trip is just you and DH, or was that the part of the trip you aren't doing?

I was looking forward to a long-ish trail run last night but had to cut it short at only 2 miles because of thunderstorms. I'll try again tonight. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Nice run there Blazin!

Erika and Byll.. sad events nearby.

But that got me thinking... What ever happened to Jenny Crain, the Olympic hopeful who, in 2007 got hit by a car while training for the Olympic Trials.

Coincidentally... this is a big weekend for the wonderful wheelchair bound, brain injured, former elite runner:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/lifestyle/99592389.html

As they say.."Life Comes at you fast"

Careful out there!

This morning I ran a nice 6 miles in 52:30 (8:45 pace, AHR 153).

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova