Masters Running

Saturday, 4.23.16 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sorry, but I'm on a tight schedule again this morning, so this is a P&G (Post & Go).

14.25 RW miles this morning in 56F temps, under overcast skies. There was rain to the south of us this morning, but it never made it up this far, which is OK by me. It was a real slog this morning - I tried to keep an even pace in the upper 11:40s, but I couldn't get into a groove, and was all over the place (mostly slower). It is only because I finally got focused, and a little mad at myself, in the last 2+ miles that I got my pacing down into the 11:30s for those miles and finished with an average pace of 11:55. Not what I wanted, but it'll do. Now I have to gobble some breakfast and then get out for our monthly conservation commission site walks.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice ultra-half this morning, Jay. I, however, slept in.

Tet--glad your friend is OK and the reunion is back on.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I am happy if that is my running pace for a LR of 14 miles - nicely done.

Today I went to a race in our team series.  I admit that I am still tired from the Xenia Marathon two weeks ago (boy am I out of shape), so I planned on making it a nice tempo run.  I didn't look closely at the website but I knew it was an odd distance, 5.69 miles or something.  The weather was good, breezy and 47 degrees, and I set out at what I thought was a strong but smart pace.  When we got to the turnaround at less than 2 miles, I asked another runner, "This is a 5 mile race, right?"  Nope, turns out it was 5.462K race.  I suppose if I knew that, I might have started out faster, but maybe not.  Still a good workout.  My Garmin said I did 3.43 miles in 30:58 (9:02), and that was actually good enough for an AG placement, but only because they generously went 5 deep into each age group.

Plus CD makes 5.7 miles for me today.

Golf with DH and DD later, then The Martian is on tap for Saturday night movie.

A good day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

Quiet day here.  I went out to run 6 but started feeling out of it around 4 miles.  So the last 2 were a walk/jog. Being 2 miles from my car, there was no option but finish up. Anyone ever get an ache between their shoulder blades and/or tingling in one of their feet while running? My back has been pretty sore lately and I think something got pinched or compressed or twisted the wrong way.

Holly, good job in your "odd distance" race with AG award.  Nice long runs and walks for Mike and Jay.

This morning, I did the 5K race I planned on so I have my race for the month. My wife drove me to the race since she didn't think I should be driving the approximately 40 miles with my questionable vision.  (I've been driving the mile to town and back but I'm familiar with the route and there isn't much traffic here in the sticks.)  My Garmin gave me a distance of 3.11 miles, time of 32:34, and a pace of 10:28.  I'll be interested what my eye doctor says I can and can't do when I see her Monday.  Hopefully, I can avoid telling her that I raced today because I don't think she'd approve.  I ended up 2/2 in my AG (70+).  I don't know how I did OA as results haven't shown up on line yet,

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

TammyinGP

10.6 mile run, a little over half way around the lake that I was supposed to run the entire distance around today. first DNF but it's okay I suppose. I can still walk and didn't push myself. Once I hit the 10.6 mile aid station where those that were doing the relay had their exchange, I had a decision to make. Either get a ride with someone heading back to the start/finish area, or fully commit to the last 8 miles. My IT band was getting tight, but not hurting at this point. I knew it wouldn't get looser if I kept running, so it was one of those 'leave it to run another day" moments.

It was a nice 10.6 mile run today. took a little over 2 hrs . it's a good trail run but with recent rains, many parts of the trail were pretty mucky so made the going slow.

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Way to slog your way through your workout, Jay.

Way to sleep in Stumps.

Congratulations Holly!  I've been in a few races where I wished I had found out it was shorter than I thought it was.

Dave--I've had the tingling in my foot, before but I've never had the ache between my shoulder blades.  I hope you get it figured out.

Tom--tell your doctor about your streak, then laugh at how fast her jaw drops.  Congratulations on another one!

Well, I woke up with a headache and it hurt the whole time I was helping at the church cleanup day.  I came home and took some Excedrin and laid down for awhile with an ice pack on my forehead...it didn't work.  I figured if I could get through a 16 miler feeling like this, I should be able to handle the "challenge" in 3 weeks.  I was very surprised at how easy it, actually, was.  But--the head still pounds.  And I still have to finish up the sermon for tomorrow.

Ryan sent me this text:

I was at the bar the other night when suddenly the waitress yells out, "DOES ANYBODY KNOW CPR?"  I said, "CPR?  I know the whole alphabet."  Everyone laughed.  Well, except this one guy.

I hope it was just a joke...

Okay--gotta go!  See ya!

Hey Tammy--you posted while I was posting.  Sorry to hear about the DNF, but I'm glad you didn't push it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five midnight miles on the red baron and the reunion banquet. The several I talked into the black cod entre (aka sablefish) couldn't have been happier.  Joyous, but also very sobering as two classmates who received some of the accolades spoke candidly about their conditions that will be making it impossible for them to be with us at the next one.

I asked another runner, "This is a 5 mile race, right?" 

Nope, turns out it was 5.462K race. 

Congratulations AG Holly

We also had a background CD of the melodies of all the top hits from 1956 - 1961.  However, I'm trying to forget the airline industry classmates who were telling about the pilot thinking the refuel had been in gallons but it nearly turned into a disaster when it turned out to be in liters.  Oddly enough, neither of the classmates like flying that much anymore.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

TomS - great racing!

Tammy - some days it is better to run smart - good choice.

Mike -

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

However, I'm trying to forget the airline industry classmates who were telling about the pilot thinking the refuel had been in gallons but it nearly turned into a disaster when it turned out to be in liters.  Oddly enough, neither of the classmates like flying that much anymore.

Mike E

MM #5615

However, I'm trying to forget the airline industry classmates who were telling about the pilot thinking the refuel had been in gallons but it nearly turned into a disaster when it turned out to be in liters.

Great!  Thanks tet!