Masters Running

VCM RR (Read 190 times)

Goal #1- finish............................done.

Goal #2-sub-3:30.......................done.

3:29:27 chip time, 1:45:04, 1:44:23

FR: White Singlet, Grey Pants, Asics Gel DS Trainer 14's...an excellent training shoe for me.

Funniest Pre-Race: Driving through rural Vermont while listening to Ice Cube: me, a bald and WASPy 43 year old, passing antique stores and being urged to "pop the man with my 9 double M."

Funniest Post-Race: Looking for a souvenir for DD #2, at the planet's most expensive teddy bear store. (The "Vermont Teddy Bear Store.") I wondered briefly if they had a "factory blemish" section, maybe with headless bears, or a bear with a stitched-on scowl, for a discount. Surreal moment: Rufus and Chaka Kahn were being piped in over the music system.

Vague training goals make for a vague race.....I sorta haphazardly based my workouts on a "something under 8" pace, and, well, ran a fraction of a second under that pace. It's a 12 minute course PR for me, but 45 seconds off my PR time. It rained for a while......kept the temperature down but made for squishy footsteps. No blisters to report.....hurray!

Also...never roof a house during your taper week. That activity gives you all sorts of aches-n-pains, and sun exposure, to worry about. Not fun.

Finally....around mile 11 my right arm started to tingle....I was obviously having some circulation issues and the tingling persisted until the end of the race. Anybody experience the same?

Thanks for reading. Walt

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow, Walt - I had no idea you were so fast!  Nice racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Nice going Walt.  You make a great point about limiting pre-race strenuous activities too.  Those were nice splits, a strong even pace for you..  Well done.  Spareribs
        Slo

Most excellent race Walt !

I just stole a look at your log. I betcha you can be much faster than you ever thought.

Renee the dog

Walt,

Excellent report, and yahoo on the PRs!  Also, yahoo on no blisters!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Walt, congratulations on your speedy marathon and PR.

TomS

nice job Walt!!  awesome splits!!

denise

Nice racing, Walt.  Congratulations!

let me rock you, let me rock you Chaka Kahn.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                  dg.

Congratulations Walt!    I enjoyed your report.  

Thanks for the taper tip!

Great race Walt!  Funny thoughts you had too.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

I had no idea you were this fast either!  Congratulations to you!

Tammy

evanflein

Oh, I knew he was that fast! Always read his posts with interest because he's so quiet, but very fast. And I liked your funny moments... ever find the headless bear? Your comment about the roof was very good...
                          busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Congratulations Walt!  That was a strong run, but hitting your goal with a negative split shows maturity as a runner.  Enjoy your recovery!

-2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                            also on Twitter
                              Busiman, didn't you run? Where's the RR?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auIoYypGibA

^^that's the Chaka Khan tune which was played at VTBS.....music to buy bears by?

Thanks for the nice words, everybody. And thanks for not mentioning the "BQ" word....that'll have to wait 'til the fall.

Walt