Masters Running

Friday 2/15 Boomer/Masters Runs and whatever ... (Read 536 times)

3 very easy recovery paced miles at 9:55 min/mile pace. Avg. HR 129. The forecast is not looking good for a PR attempt in my HM on Sunday. It's supposed to be quite warm and humid - the day before another cold front is expected. The days before those come through are unusually sticky and hawt. I guess an MP training run is in order. I hope everyone enjoyed their Valentine's Day yesterday. TGIF! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good Morning! Sounds like you have a good plan for your half-marathon Bill. Good Luck! 10.4 miles for me this morning at 5:30 AM--27F, overcast, lots of icy patches, but I was light on my feet and avoided wipe outs. 1 mile wu in 10 minutes and then 8 miles in 59:11, 1.4 to cool down. Charged the hills. Spareribs---sounds like your dinner with Soundrunner was wonderful! Happy Friday to all CNYrunner P.S. My run today followed an eastward direction as the sun was climbing. Even though it was overcast, the clouds had fuschia and purple underbellies. It was spectacular!

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Breger – I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, hoping for cooler weather Sunday. You are in such great shape right now, it’d be awesome to see what you can do with it. Nice charging, CNYRunner... Smile As I was telling CNYrunner, I got a call yesterday that they have cancelled my rock-climbing class, scheduled for this Sunday. Not enough people signed up for it, so they are postponing it until later in the spring. Darn, I was really looking forward to it. Well, they said they'd call me when they do it again, so maybe it will work out later. With no rock climbing on Sunday, I will revert to my normal plan and do my 20-miler then, instead of on Saturday. It works out better that way anyway, since temps are supposed to be 29 on Sunday morning, as opposed to 18 on Saturday - much more comfortable. On the advice of some wise people around here, I decided to give my legs a complete rest day today. Light upper-body x-training instead: Dumbbell presses, lying hammer curls, flies, lateral raises, and a 14-minute ab/core video. Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

10 miles again last night in 1:25:01 - 1 mile warm up - 6 miles just running - 3 miles tempo...7:02 - 6:55 -6:58. Felt good considering 6 straight days of running, and the weather was nice at 32 degrees but it was real windy which made the last 3 miles pretty tough. Good luck Bill in your race - sorry about the forecast....maybe it will turn out better than expected. Good job on your 10. 4 miles CNY...and not busting your butt on the ice Holly, I have been rock climbing quite a few times, and it's a real blast - rest day for me today too, as I have quite a few miles in this week, and have a 16 miler planned for tomorrow....if my legs allow because that would be my longest run since last Oct during my Marathon training. TGIF....hope all have good runs, and a great day!!!! Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Rarely do I post here without a run first...but have had a light case of the flu and no runs (I mean I have not done any trainng runs as in the runs that you do outside or maybe on a treadmill....oh nevermind) Good luck Bill on the HM. Holly, I took a rock climbing class in college many moons ago. At the time, it was the most physically and mentally challenging thing that I had done. Talk about a lower body workout. Actually a great full body w/o. And very challenging, mentally. I hope you get the chance to take that class...I'm sure you'd have a great time, and will probably be good at it too! Anyway, feeling much better today...I may venture out later this afternoon for an easy 3. We'll see. Good running to all today!
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

Getting ready to catch a 6 a.m. flight out of Sea-Tac to Dallas. Will walk this afternoon if I don't fall down dead first. And as to last night's mystery woman, I still ain't tellin'. First thing you know, everyone will be asking her out! Breger, maybe you'll get an unexpected cool breeze. Good luck. Spareribs
                I was supposed to do 6 this morning but an overenthusiastic TP had us out for 7.68 with a few hill charges thrown in for good measure. I still plan to get in 4 very easy miles this afternoon. Holly the good news is that if you are looking to get faster for the marathon the lighter weights and subbing in a 20 miler for rock climbing will help! Smile The bad news is that I suspect the rock climbing is a lot more fun than a 20 mile training run. Sad Bill good luck with the weather. I know what a drag it is to train for a race and then have heat and humidity hit. On the other hand, if you "real" goal is the marathon then having the HM as a training run is not so bad.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good morning, all! Bill - best of luck for the Sunday half - looking forward to reading your race report. Evryday - sorry about the flu derailing your run - get better soon! 6.66 wonderful hilly, windy miles this morning. The wind was howling off the sound this morning. Core and upper body weights sheduled for noon today. Tomorrow is rest day - well except for the 2 hour hike I am planning with the puppy. Good runs, good racing, and a good weekend to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Good morning Boomers. Scheduled rest day for me today, but the sun is out, the plows have gone through and it's supposed to get to 10F. Might have to do a quick 3 or 4 through the neighborhood just to keep the blood flowing (and, work off the chocolate cake from last night!) Bill - keep your fingers crossed. If your weathermen are anything like the ones around here, they can't predict what's going to happen today much less three days from now. Maybe the front will get stalled and your conditions will be okay. Hope so - we know how hard you've been training for this. Holly, too bad about your class. That's weird that there wasn't enought interest from other people to hold it. Sounds like a lot of fun to me. Spareribs, from CNY's post, sounds like your secret is out! Glad you had a good time. CNY runner, don't you love running into spectacular sunrises? What's that old sailor's quote: "red skies at night, sailor's delight - red skies in the morning, sailor's warning." Watch out for the weather - a huge storm just passed through Wisconsin! Good runs, all Jeanne

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Hoping for good wether for Breeeger! Nice speedy w/o's Tim and CNY! I entered a new AG today! (First time since I started racing). Not a graceful way to start though, after my hilly run on Wednesday, I had knee AND foot soreness on my right leg. The foot is some irritated nerves I think. I did my normal recovery run yesterday really slow and did another 6 Magical Healing Miles today (bagging my 13 miler) with the goal of completing it with zero discomfort. That was successful and it is better today than yesterday so I'll go easy on it until it disappears. I'm excited to do some racing in my new AG and bring home some hardware, it makes me feel younger. On the other hand, maybe I should feel old. I renewed my driver's liscense yesterday and if you are 55 or older they will renew it for 5 years instead of 8 years! Why I ask? 1. Saves you money in case you don't make it more than 5 years 2. Your vision will be uncorrectable in more than 5 years 3. You won't be able to remember what those traffic signs mean in more than 5 years 4. You won't be able to remember where the DMV office is in more than 5 years Any other reasons? Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Good morning. 3.6 mile recovery run @ around 9:10 pace. I had planned to run 3, but I guess got a little confused with my division trying to figure out how long to run one of the legs. And I was a math major in college Roll eyes I'm taking today off to brew some beer - an Irish Red this time. That way I'll keep the weekend free. They're sending me email that I need to take more days off or else I'll lose vacation, so I guess I should take advantage of it. Holly, my brother does rock climbing -- indoors only I think -- and he's pretty serious about it. He uses 50# dumbells just to make his fingers stronger. He also fences pretty seriously (epee), but I know nothing about rock cliimbing or fencing myself. Nice tempo run, BT. Best of luck on the weather, Bill. CNY that was pretty fast! TC, what's a TP (training partner?) Good runs, all.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Happy Birthday and Happy New AG Perch! (Thinking to self: "Dang. Another faster runner has entered my AG. Gotta get faster ...") Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Yep, TP = training partner.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Too late Ribs,I already asked her out for Saturday night... Another 5 mile progression run today,purposely took it easy at the start and tried a higher gear for the last mile...6:47...7:55 avg... Bill,Good Luck in your race on Sunday!!!
                              Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve – Happy Birthday! In Ohio you renew your license every 4 years, whether you need it or not. I’ll be doing that myself next month. Annoying, too, since this was the first time ever I actually got a decent driver’s license photo. My eyes were open this time. Big grin WRFB – my DS was telling me just last week that your fingers have no muscles in them. I didn’t believe him, so I looked it up and he was right. Yet people do things to strengthen their fingers, like your brother, so I guess you can make your tendons stronger. Just another strange factoid. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."