Masters Running

South Gate LASAA Mug Run 10K (Read 199 times)

huskydon

Goal: sub 48 minutes, Expected: ~48:55 (what I ran 4 wks ago), Actual time: 48:43 (7:51/ mi pace, PR by 12 sec). 3rd place in AG (first time!) I hadn’t planned on running this race, the 13th (of 14) in the series of LA Sheriffs Athletic Association (LASAA) Mug Runs, but my co-worker wanted to run, and so off we went. I had been feeling tired from work, so I rested for two days before the race. Unfortunately, the net effect seemed to be I had the hardest time going to sleep. Of course, when I finally awoke, I felt sleepy and quite out of sorts. The Mug Runs are sponsored by the various sheriff’s stations in greater LA County. (This one is sponsored by the Century station in South Gate). They typically have 100 -125 runners, not that many, but these are fairly serious runners. Today, we have many sheriffs and some others are from a local running club. Only ten or so runners typically run the 5K, with the rest doing the 10K. I noted that the previous Mug Run two weeks ago had no one in my AG, so I thought I might actually have a chance to snag my first AG award. There was plenty of time to warm up, as the Active web site said the start was at 7, but the actual start was closer to 8:15. One draw of this race was the low cost ($20) and I was able to register on Active.com without incurring any of their “processing fees.” Yes! The t-shirt is a nice color and attractive. We are off. The weather is nearly ideal, 57 degrees with clouds. The course is flat and goes through residential streets and larger streets. I try to hold back on the first mile, but somehow I miss the first mile marker. I discover a line and "2" spray painted in the road at mile 2. I am running reasonably well. Mile 3 is good, I am maintaining a 7:46 / mi pace. I choose not to hit the water station. It thins out considerably here and I am definitely holding my own, passing a few people, while one or two pass me. I start slowing down to just under 8:00/ mi for miles 4 &5. I did have a brief experience of racing another runner. I would surge, and he would cover, and we repeated that maybe three times and it was clear to me who was faster. At that point, it is not looking good for bettering my time from earlier this month. But the stomach feels better this time, and I am able to finish stronger than last time, eking out a 12 sec improvement. I also note that I beat pfriese, who currently owns the best 10K time (in our AG) by 10 whole seconds. Hopefully I can enjoy at least a moment of glory on “best race times of 2008”. Splits: miles 1/2: 15:30 (7:45 pace) mile 3 7:48 mile 4: 7:59 mile 5: 7:55 mile 6: 7:53 last bit: 1:38 (7:40 pace) I finish a few minutes ahead of my co-worker. After the race, I talk to another runner who turns out to be in my AG. He tells me he finished behind me by 20-30 seconds, and I opened up some daylight when I opted to forego the water. When my mind finally clears, I notice three ladies with Lakers jackets helping out, cheering at the finish. Could these be Laker Girls? Alas, I must be getting old, because they seem so very young. They are in fact, Laker girls, and they start signing 8.5 x 11 Laker Girls posters. I dutifully get in line, and so I now have a signed poster to adorn my wall at work. I wait around, and they are announcing the AG winners. They call two names in my age group, neither of them me, and wonder if I will get shut out again. (I have never placed in my AG). But they do call my name for 3rd and people who don’t know me applaud. Wow, definitely a different feeling when you win something. I apologize to my new friend whom I have just edged out. I know how he feels. Thanks for reading. May you have a great run today. huskydon
      Well done!! And Laker Girls too....sounded like an awesome day. Oh, and it must be such nice icing to have a placement in the top 3. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Nice time and great 3rd place finish. Laker girls at the finish pretty darn cool.

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Congratulations, husky, on another solid race. Great pacing!
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          coastwalker

Hi Huskydon, A PR, an AG award, and an autographed Laker Girls poster: Not bad for a race you weren't going to run! Congrats! Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great race and congrats on the 3rd in AG and PR!
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
              SteveP

Hardware!!!! Yes!!!! You did well racing an other individual. Sweet RR.

SteveP

Way to go, husky. Congrats on your PR and 1st AG award. TomS
                    Huskydon, well done! I'm glad you're able to run more and better this year than before! Big grin Congrats on the 3rd place finish. What did your wife think about the Laker Girls? : Tongue
                      Nice running and placing too! Your splits are great looking as well. Thanks for sharing the report. The applause was well deserved and I am glad you were there to hear it first hand. High five! CNYrunner

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations on your PR and AG placement - nice racing! (ahhh...57 degrees...darn near my favorite running temperature...soon now we'll start getting that around here and I can hardly wait.... Smile..)

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

#artbydmcbride

Bah! This pesky marathon training is making me miss some of my favorite races! And I would have been able to cheer when you got your medal! Congratulations! And welcome to the best race times in 2008 list. Smile

Runners run

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

HuskyD - you keep getting faster I'll never see you at the Green River. Maybe you can find one of ilene's marathons someday.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

HuskyD - you keep getting faster I'll never see you at the Green River. Maybe you can find one of ilene's marathons someday.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

btb1490

A PR, an age group place, and a signed poster from the Laker's girls! How can you ask for more? Well done, huskydon!