Masters Running

It's finally Summer in New England Tuesday runs and sweats and other fun activities (Read 416 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Since I'm starting the daily, I'm sure there'll be at least one other one by the time I'm done, but we'll give it a shot

I know Byll scoffs at this weather, but it was 70ºF and 88% humidity at 5am this morning.  So of course I decided to do what passes for a tempo for me today.  3.1m in 29:48 for a 9:36 pace.  I also got my HR up a lot higher than previously:  134 AHR and 151 max.  Probably dropped a couple of pounds of water, as I was still sweating a little when I got out of the shower.

Hope everyone else's runs go as well.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Slo

Mornin Stumpy.......I think Bill was holding back waiting for someone else to open this morning. Saves him from going back and deleting his thread

HUMID......Geesh. I was as wet as a bar rag after two miles......my interval / tempo run was bagged.....I tried but it wasn't going to happen. So I'll log 5.5 miles with a total of 2 miles at a harder effort but certainly not even close to plan.

I got a great swim in after work last night. Went to the outdoor munciple pool. I usually don't because I already pay a membership for an indoor but it was so nice out.

Today is just going to be Hot and Sticky and Stormy later........

I see we have all the H&H wimps up early this morning. 

3.5 recovery miles at 10:23 min/mile pace. Avg HR 120. Tempo mile repeats are on tap for tomorrow.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

9.0 miles at 10:20 pace.  It is also warm and sticky in the mid-Atlantic.  It's a good thing we are morning people.  Problem is - I already feel like the day is half over and I've still got 9-10 hours of work ahead of me.  Bleh.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Humidity must be the word of the day. Don't you love those runs when you come in and there's not a dry spot on your body. 4 sticky miles at a 9:14 pace at 5:30. Saw lots of rabbits running around - at least those weren't in my garden! Off to Michigan for a few days to play some golf and hopefully find some great new running spots.

BE GOOD KIDDIES WHILE I'M GONE, OK?

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good morning boomers from Maine to Florida and CA to AK and Texas

and thanks for the joy of running, . . . and living, in your faithful daily postings.

Perfect minimalist running here as Seattle gets ready for record temps in the nineties.

Welcome back to SF boomers especially from those of us who’ll probably never get there

<<<(RR’s/pics)>>>

ps - I have a new avatar.

pps - say hello to the beautiful dunes and lake if you get over there lynnie.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Morning, gang!

Kevin - you are so right about it finally being summer here in New England.  I've had enough now, it can stop any time ;-).

Jlynne - we'll miss you - hope you find some great places to run!

This is supposed to be a cutback week for me.  DH suggested a track run this morning, and I planned to do easy mileage.  It turned into a progressive run with the last mile or so at half marathon pace.  7 soggy miles @ 9:50 average pace and 160 AHR.  Temps in the mid-70's with nice cloud cover the block the sun - could have used a little breeze.

I came face-to-face with the flower-munching doe last night when I was letting Jesse out.  I was on the front porch, and she totally ignored my efforts to shoo her.  I put the dog back in the house and walked to within 10 feet of her before she deigned to move, and then it was only far enough to hide behind the bushes and peek through to see what my next move would be.  I chucked a large rock at her and she finally got the idea that maybe she wasn't welcome in my yard.  I won that battle but probably not the war ;-).

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

Nice job sticking it out in the swampy weather, people.

We've had the same around here.  On Sunday, I didn't adjust properly and cut it short after 9 miles.  Today I tried again and did 12.3 on a trail with a couple of walk breaks up steep parts.

Hang in there.

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

stumpy, you and your run sent good mojo my way!

Was scheduled for a 6 mi base run (:30-1:30 off marathon pace) this morning.  My sister's visiting again, so once she was up I got out there around 7 a.m.  Weather was perfect: 73-75º F and 88% H.  Love that as soon as I step out the door my bod is all warmed up. 

Indeed.  Took off by myself and couldn't hold to the faster end of base pace -- was at marathon pace or better.  After about a mile, I decided heck, let's go with this for the first half and rearrange the schedule as necessary for the rest of the week.  So, I had a fun time running roughly 9 min/mi the first 3 mi, then stopped myself and started a new run at base pace for the next 3 mi.  Picked up Renee at 4.5 mi in and finished up with her.

Simply awesome morning out there!  I was a bar rag too but I don't care -- I love that good sweat I get in the summer heat. 

Hope everyone else has a fantastic day!!!

P.S.  Sue, you threw a rock at Bambi's Mother?   LOL

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Breger-- yup.. H&H wimp reporting

Jlynn-yup.. not a dry spot

8 miles with 2 doggie miles at 10:46 pace followed by 6 miles (GA effort) at 8:56. Legs pretty dead but no knee pain so I enjoyed the whole soggy mess.

I got a new laptop with lots of memory (3 GB) so I go to load my 400 MB history file into Garmin Training Center and I get "out of memory".  Geesh.. don't think I like this Windows Vista.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Marathon Maniac #957

Today’s workout was not fun.  The FIRST plan called for 3 x 1600m @ 7:11, with 1 minute recoveries.  Yeah, right.  I’ve run a 7:11 mile maybe 3 times in my life, and I think at least 2 of them were downhill.....

But I did better than I expected, although one minute was not nearly as much recovery as I wanted, and after the second mile I took 2 minutes instead of one because I still didn’t have my breath back.

2.67 mile WU @ 10:14

1 mile @ 7:17

1 mile @ 7:23

1 mile @ 7:07  (!!)

3.5 mile CD @ 10:18

9.3 miles total

This was TOUGH, TOUGH – the last mile repeat especially, finishing with me in severe oxygen debt, gasping for air, legs quivering.  I was glad I wasn’t wearing a HR monitor, because I don’t even want to know what my HR was....

Just to make the day even more torturous, I followed the run with my usual lower body workout...and now my legs are toast...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Very well done Holly !

I see no reason why you couldn't run a sub 7:00 in a 5k.  That workout was both mental and physical......reach around and pat yourself on the back !

Well done Holly.  Don't be afraid to add 30 seconds to those recovery times.  I usually did to account for H&H.

I get to do my mile repeats tomorrow at Tempo pace.  Whew.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Mariposai

Wow Holly I bit your legs and lower back are toast! Great pace there sister.

Is timbo still happy?

Nice SML Predawnruner. How is your garden growing.

Craneium, my prayers and butterfly hugs are with you today as you defend your master's theses. Relax, relax, relax.

Yesterday's post spoke to my heart deeply. I love this running world.

With a pager on my hip (today is the end of a 6 days on-call party) I drove to the track at 5 am. I ran 3 miles to w/u, which included 2x100m striders then did the following:

1k @4:34 (7:21 pace) 90 sec rest

1k @4:35 (7:23 pace) 90 sec rest

I ran around the track for c/d for a total of 8 miles for the day and drove back home.
                              This is the fastest I have ever ran a 1k. I guess I am a bit surprise how achievable this pace was today. I was working hard, but not pukingly fast. The only new thing I did was to start incorporating 2x100 striders before the sets.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

Nono, I think I sent you my mojo too, because I couldn't find it.   I looked and looked.  I'm glad you had such a great run Smile.    (my turn next, ok?)

Tet, that was a very sweet post.

Where is Mary? 

Kevin, nice to have you start & very nice run!  No problems?

Perch, I don't like Vista either.

Sue, maybe you could just talk to her.   heart to heart.  share a glass of dandelion wine.   

Jlynne, have fun!   I'll wave to you.   Too bad you won't be a little closer.  

Nice drippy runs, everybody!

Holly, Nancy,  :O :O    (I'm using google chrome. it won't let me eek)

Not a dry spot.   I rung out my pony tail before I got in the car.  :-),  7.02 miles this morning, average pace 10:14, max 8:51.  AHR 162, max 173.   Nono had my mojo.  It was still better than I've been doing, but was dragging.   The plan called for some drills but they're things I shouldn't be doing, so I just included parts of the path that are hillier a couple of times.