Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run - w/e 7/11 (Read 473 times)

Queen of 3rd Place

"You have to forget your last marathon before you try another. Your mind can't know what's coming."

Frank Shorter

Heh. Thought I'd take something from Frank to get us started. The frequency at which some of us race is either a testimony to mental toughness or mental deterioration

Jim - WOOT! on your AG WIN! An outright WIN! Nice work, and an easy sub-25. But passing younguns is always my favorite (especially when they're my students)

Leslie - nice workout there, even if not a PR. Bet it was easier that your PR race. Mt. Hood doesn't look quite as intimidating as AR50.

Carol - good on you for sticking with your 10K schedule. We're looking forward to the big PR!

Cindy - "summer projects in full swing" - the thought of you getting any busier sort of makes my head spin.

Got back from the Big Island late Saturday night, spent yesterday with laundry etc. Did no running all week (my first ever non-sickness-induced break in almost 3 yrs) - but did get a lot of cross-training (snorkeling, SCUBA, hiking, kayaking).

Today is Day One of my Official Going-for-the-BQ in Vegas - Dec 6. My fast, ultra-running friend Mark has registered and will be my pacer, so there's no turning back now! GULP! I'm using the Daniel's Marathon Plan A, although with some modifications so I can run a few fun half marathons and a marathon. All of the quality workouts look very do-able to me, and of course if it's too much on any given day I can back off. As Mark says, "It's gonna be fun".

Arla

Ex runner

"

Today is Day One of my Official Going-for-the-BQ in Vegas - Dec 6.

WOO HOO!!!!!!  Go, Arla!!!!

Jim - Nice AG yesterday!  And congrats to your dad completing the mile and being crowned King.

SRD for me.  Spent a couple of hours cleaning The Hub's truck from the smoke-fest in Old Town yesterday/last night, washing dirty utensils, etc.  His ribs and tri-tips were a huge hit.

Now I'm off to get some sun and do a little reading in the back yard.

Later -

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

jfa

Nice race there Jim! Wow 1st place for 2 generations, not too bad. Must be some good genes!

Nice going with your race too Leslie! Watermelon workouts now ,eh?

Arla- thanks for starting us and love the quote. You're going to get to Boston, I have no doubt. I'm going to too, but I don't know about this year.

Hiya All,

Supper duper hot here ,95* all week and it has not rained in 3 weeks. No more lawn watering or car washing allowed. We just went through the hottest June on record. Got in a decent weekend though. Not bad on Fri, yesterday was absolutely cooking( went outside for 5 on the trails, 3 by the beach), and today the gym was opened 1/2 day so got a decent tempo in on the hamster wheel.

Some of the 300+ photos I took at

------------

I'll just add to yesterday's late post:

Lousy night of sleep, so stayed in bed and will get my 4 miles in after work.  You guys have heat and humidity (yuck!), we have wind, wind, and more wind. And if we didn't have the wind, we'd have fog, overcast, fog, overcast and cold.  Ah, summer on the old North Coast.  It can be frustrating.

Leslie
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hey there 40's!

Way to go Jim!!!!  Sounds like you played that one just right, and nice to come out with the AG win too.

Arla, thanks for starting us off.  Sounds like you had a great time in Hawaii!  Nice to have a total change of scene and activities sometimes.  Betting you are mentally and physically refreshed to start your BQ run.

Leslie, good job catching those rays while you can. 

Hey Joe, welcome to Texas!  Oh, that's right, you're still in NJ...but it's starting to sound a lot like our TX weather.  Way to BE the hamster!

Howdy to everyone else!

Finally did the family 4th thing yesterday, and got in a nice outdoor run before they arrived.  This morning was intervals on the treadmill and upper and core lifting.  Did my mile of freestyle in the pool on Sunday, and hubby filmed a bit of it.  Not too bad, but my breathing side arm is coming out of the water higher than the other one.  Thinking I need to return to trying the bilateral breathing to see if that evens me out naturally.  Or maybe it's time to finally have a swim lesson before I teach myself too many bad habits Smile

Progress Trumps Pefection
            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy beginning of the end of summer to all.  Since it's now after the 4th, I saw the first school supply ad already. 

90's and no rain predicted for the rest of the week around boston.  Then thunderstorms for the weekend.  Made this morning's run rather soggy--77 and probably at least that in humidity.  Sunday I was going to do a nice easy 4 or so.  Then since my lake route passes by a lot of the town's parade route, i noticed that the area where we like to sit was getting very full of chairs.  So it turned into a impromptdu tempo/progression 5K--the last mile was 40 seconds faster than the first.  I've got the right pattern, now all I need to do is knock a minute a mile off the pace and I'll be all set .  But I did make it home and back with our chairs to get a decent spot and we enjoyed what we are told is the 8th largest 4th parade in the country.  not bad for a town of 30K.

Arla--I could learn to go without running if those are the X-T options.  Best of luck on the BQ special--I think you'll nail it!!

Leslie--did you actually get any of the ribs or tips to make the cleaning not quite so bad?  Nice watermelons, too.

Jim--not sure I remember you saying something like "I took the rest of the day off"  before.  Glad you got a little natural irragation at least.  I was thinking it was a little early to be harvesting anything yet, but that was winter wheat?

Off to work--lunch hour is suddenly gone--have a great week all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - I have a friend who does tri's and swears by the swim lessons she took at the beginning. I think she just had a few and was ready to go.

Joe - sounds nasty, almost makes the TM fun I'd bet. BTW I see you're closing on 2000 mi pretty quick, I'm guessing you'll get there sooner this year vs. last year.

Leslie - LOVED the pics, and can't believe the snow that's still up there. Did they have to do a boat crossing at one of the creeks??? I don't remember that being a normal feature of that race. Also - PM me and let me know if you'll be around this weekend for a run when I pass through and we'll see if it works out. I have myself scheduled for a 6 and a 14 on the two weekend days. Cool, gray, foggy sounds pretty good to me right now.

Stumpy - I hear ya on just having to knock a minute off the pace.

Whaddaya know, for days 1 and 2 of scary BQ training, had a tough couple of runs right of the bat. It was HOT yesterday, and my pace slowly degraded. Ugh. So went out at 6 am today to  beat the heat. While the temps were much better (66 vs 86), I hate running first thing in the am - always feel sort of creaky and old. Second, I left without having any breakfast - big mistake - my body has definitely forgotten how to run on empty.

Hope you all have good runs or rest days today!

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Hey Folks, 9pm and it's still 93* out! No matter, sweated it up at the gym with the ladies tonight. Half hour abs class (instructor was the only other male present ) then a 5er on the mill.

Great pics Leslie. I was watching the leaders online while doing a little Google Earth tour over the course.Incredible. And all the snow!

Carol- seems to me that when I used to swim regularly,and read up on form, a bit higher breath-side arm (right for me) was good form while freestyle swimming. Better check with the experts though.Really nice going on your mile swims. That's not easy!

Wicked hot Stumpy as they like to say up your way. Not much relief in sight either. It's amazing how much it saps us. Even while drinking enough,the energy level plummets for me.Parade sounds cool.

Arla- I'll second you on the early morning stuff. It doesn't agree with me either.Good job gutting out the heat as well. Have you been getting any motorcycling lately?

C ya's

Got in my 4 miles after work - 1 EZ, 2 RP, 1 EZ.  Average pace was 9:40 and included a good climb in the middle of Mile 3.  I'm the opposite of Joe and Arla - I'd rather run in the early a.m. than in the afternoon or after work.  I don't particularly like getting up but it definitely puts a little more zip in my day than when I don't workout.

Thanks for the comments re the pics.  It was nice that there were 3 of us most the time, which allowed me to get as many pics of Kate as I did.  I think I need to start hiring myself out as a personal photographer for runners.

Arla - I PM'd you.  Unfortunately, this weekend is SOB in Ashland.   . . . . and it's suppose to be a hot one.   And yes, at Rucky Chucky River, they transferred the runners from one side to the other via rafts.  The water was too swift and deep for them to cross on foot.  The rafters were very fast and very efficient.

Just got off the phone with Karen.  She and Charlie Dog were running a rarely used logging road near her house and ended up being bookended by two bears that wouldn't go away.  Said it was probably 10 mins before the bears left.  They even came closer to her and Charlie.  Said she started yelling and got Charlie barking, she was barking - making any kind of noise they could before the bears finally went away.  She had to go home and clean out her underwear.

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Joe - as a matter of fact, I'm leaving Friday for a nice motorcycle ride through northern Cal and the Oregon Cascades. Looking forward to cooler rides and grabbing some cooler runs. We have not had a very hot summer (for us) but it still gets old. I'm glad I'm not the only one who's creaky in the am.We can't all be Little Miss Perky like Leslie

Leslie - aww, too bad. Well good luck at SOB! I assume you're doing the 50K? Should be a piece of cake compared to AR50.  Unfortunately I have to bee-line it home on Friday to go backpacking starting early Sat morning in the Sierra. SCARY story about Karen! Stupid bears! Usually they run away, maybe they felt more comfortable being that there were two of 'em.

Looks like I'm stuck with another run in the heat today. I did some reading and found out that slowing by 1 sec per mile for every degree over 60 is recommended by some. So say if it's 90 and and 10:00 - 10:15 is easy pace you need to be going more like 10:30 - 10:45!!! That doesn't even account for humidity very well.  The problem with humidity is that the "heat index" is for someone just sitting there - so "80 feels like 90" doesn't work very well.  I guess the best thing is to be like Joe and hit the TM

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

We can't all be Little Miss Perky like Leslie

Now that's funny! True, and funny. BTW Leslie, foggy, windy and cool,mmmmmm.

Arla- once again I envy you your leisure activities. Darn, I need to visit California again. Absolutely slow down with the heat. It's cumulative effort increase too,to keep a pace, so keep it ridiculously slow in the beginning.

That is scary with the bears Leslie. Do you see many on your regular trails?

This week's theme is " try different stuff" at the gym sooooo

on the mill- 4x800m @7:24 pce w 200m cruise @ 9:58 followed by my first ever Spin class (that's tough) then

4x800m again with the last interval @ 6:58 pace. Throw in 200( 10 sets of 20 ea) pushups along the way

and I think I'll sleep well tonight 

We can't all be Little Miss Perky like Leslie

. . . just kidding

Re bears - We don't see bear in the Community Forest.  Even though the logging road is about half a mile from there, the forest is so busy it keeps the wildlife away.  A couple of weeks ago out on an old logging road in Trinidad, we came up on a bear.  It was startling,but not surprising.  Last year we had a problem with rabid fox.  A number were killed, a few people were bit and ended up having to have rabies shots, including my neighbor, which I just found out this past weekend.

With the exception of the Community Forest, we definitely have to be on our guard on the trails around here.

Didn't get my 3 miles in after work.  Too much to do.  That's one of the reasons why I like to run in the a.m. - too  many excuses can pop up after work.

Well, Little Miss Perky Poppins is off to finally post her crewing report.  Later, gators!

Leslie
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

3.1 tonite in a blazing 39 minutes, holy crap I am sore (but a good sore), nothing I can call injurous. I plan on boring you all with a race report  when I get to it, beings it was a goal race and all.

Arla good luck on your BQ training, you are ready you will do great. I am for the record boycotting Vegas Rand because of the $$$ entry fee but we shall see if I can hold out.

Kevin and Joe wow I feel for you with that heat in the east. Good going to get runs in however. Joe nice track workout on the treadmill!!

Carol the only advice on swimming I can give from my experience is to stay in the shallow end and stand up when your knees scrape the bottom(in other words I swim like a rock). Seriously a good instructor can take years off the learning curve. Good job on the wts.

Leslie rabid foxes scare me more than black bears. I am with u on the morning runs.

Hi to Ev and Cindy and anyone else I am missing.

Hot and windy last week, harvest weather but wheat wasn't ready now it is getting close and we are cold and rainy, some quality concerns with the wheat, just have to wait and see. I got a few things left to get ready but seems like I have slept a lot during the rainy time, thats the way we roll round here I guess.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Hey, I seem to be missing something important here....where are Leslie's pic's?

Leslie, have a blast at SOB!!  As for the bears and rabid foxes, that's scary.  Definitely good to run with a buddy on those more remote trails.  Preferably a slower buddy 

Stumpy, nice Tempo run/parade spot grab.  Now that's multitasking!  And if you find the magic speed button, please let me know.

Arla, don't let a couple of sucky runs get you down.  The H&H makes such a big difference, but sounds like you're working your way around and through it.  We are all looking forward to the day you BQ!  Hope you have a great time on your ride. 

Joe, sounds like you are getting your money's worth out of your gym.  I haven't tried a spin class (yet), but if you say it's tough, that kinda really worries me. 

Jim, glad you came out of your race with "only" muscle soreness.  Sometimes I think the lack of injury is almost as good as a PR, but when you can put both together AND and AG award, that's just as good as it gets! 

Hey, where are Ev, Cindy, Jewels, and any other fab 40ish peeps??  Helloooo out there.

I just wanted to stop and say how much I appreciate you guys.  You are some of the most positive and encouraging people I know, and I love coming here to chat with you.  Even when I run short of time to post, I like to pop in and read just to get a little inspiration. 

Thanks for the encouragement on the swimming and possible lessons.  Yesterday I cross trained for 3 hours on yard work (does dripping sweat kill weeds?), and today is a run day, so off for a 3.5 miler in the H&H.  Hoping the clouds will maybe sprinkle me with a little rain. 

Progress Trumps Pefection

Carol - Here's the LINK to my photos.  If you click "Slideshow" in the upper right-hand corner, it does a nice presentation.  I also finally posted my crewing report in this forum.  It's looooong.  Re swimming - I can keep my head above water and that's about it.  And Karen is slower than me on the flats and downhills.

Jim - Will be waiting to (not) be bored by that race report.

3 EZ miles for me this a.m. in 10:40, which is about a 10:40 ap - imagine that!  My legs felt fairly sproinky, so I had to work at keeping it slow.  Hope they feel just as sproinky Saturday at 6400' and higher.

Later ~

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance