Masters Running

Breger and y'all other Floridians (or FL-wanna-bees) (Read 301 times)

Sayhey!  There's a marathon (and half and 5K) in Clermont, 22 miles west of Orlando, in December (the 19th) and then there's the "Grouper Run" in Sarasota March 14 [that conveniently coincides with Spring Training].

The Clermont one advertises itself as the course in Florida most like Boston, as there are some rolling hills near the end.  And some one tall Floridian Flatlander is heading to Boston, I happen to know.

SO, who's in for either one?  Erika's weather note about snow (and we've had some this month already as well as a hard frost) makes me know I need to do something positive about warding off gloomy winter doldrums.

ANd maybe there will be whole bellied clams available in the environs.

A.

Masters 2000 miles

Aamos,

Right now I'm in a holding pattern.  I'm trying to fully recover from Columbus and then I need to decide what I want to do over our upcoming racing season.  Part of me is thinking "Maniac" with perhaps WPB in Dec. and Disney in Jan.

But I don't want to lose sight of training properly for Boston.  Running Fulls may hinder that.  Soon I will be contacting Tinman and getting his plans to get me safely over those hills in Boston.  He's given me a few clues - He asked if I have access to a TM (Yes), and if there any races in Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar (Heck yes!  A bunch of them.).

Stay tuned Darlin'.  We'll meet up some time soon!

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

I'd love to get to Florida in January (and Byll, I think that's a perfect time for a marathon without hurting Boston) to get a break from Winter!! But... I'm sending junior to San Diego next month and Phoenix in February for soccer tournaments and *poof* there goes all my travel money.

Well brylly, there are HALF marathons at both those races I mentioned.

I'm seriously looking at both, so let me know:

http://www.usantc.com/event_list.php?&eventid=340

--here's a review from a runner on marathonguide: 

This was my first marathon and I had a great time! It was pretty, the weather was great and there were lots of water/Gatorade stations. The last few miles were hard due to the hills, but that just adds to the challenge! I loved the 8 a.m. start, since I had to drive 1.5 hours to get there and I don't like to get up too early.

Here's the site for the Sarasota one, which is being updraded, but  you get the ideaL

http://www.sarasotamarathon.com/srq/

--here's a review from someone who used it as a training run for Boston--you can run it easy!

This is a wonderful marathon! I have traveled to run it 3 years in a row - primarily as a training run for Boston. The course is wonderful, with challenges of the causeway bridges, but otherwise flat. Sarasota is beautiful.

What can I do to convince you? 

And Erika, make that boy sell cookies or something for his travel budget.  You DESERVE FLorida in the winter.  There's sunlight, and you would just fly over the course!

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

As someone who vacations every year in Siesta Key (island off Sarasota) , would recommend the Sarastota run.  The Clearmont race I have heard is a tough one with some hills and and a pretty small race (like 150 - 200 people).

The Sarasota area beats the hell out of Orlando any dayu of the wek and twice on Sunday.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Thanks Robert! 

........think of Sarasota as a long run before Boston, BB!

Masters 2000 miles

Thanks Robert! 

........think of Sarasota as a long run before Boston, BB!

Great ... Get there a few days early and head down Siesta Key ( 5 - 10 min of downtown sarasota) , Once you hit the Siesta Key Beaches, you will never want to go to another beach ... ever.    

Plus I think March is when the Sea turtles come and nest on southern end of Siesta Key.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Siesta Key is beautiful!

My brother lives in Sarasota - so this might be a possibility for me.   Free room and board.    Definitely something to think about.   Training in snow though.   Sad

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

dg.

aw, Mary, you can do it.   I hope so, at least, because I'm signed up for a full in March.  am in a bit of denial about the season ahead.      we can whine together.

Big grin

Aamos what  good idea.  

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

dg - you are?   Which one?

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

dg.

the Shamrock, in Virginia Beach.   with the missing Nono!  a long time ago Jdmom was talking about it.  (I hope she's ok..)

Aamos...sorry for the hijack!  umm, howabout Virginia! :-)..   I guess it won't be quite as warm.   and..Sea Turtles!    though what they say is the typical temperature is IRC for running, I think. 

Florida

I live in Bradenton so either one is really close for me.  But the timing of those is a bit off for me as I'm thinking real hard about the Bataan Death March on March 21.  Check out the Florida Running & Triathlon Calendar...there are quite a few Florida marathons.  Maybe Miami on January 31?

Mary, dg is such a luv, I would understand you going to VA (but free room and board and Sea Turtles!!).  COme to Florida!

We've pretty much decided we need a Dec. trip to stay sane this winter, and if we can swing it (frequent flyer miles), we'd go again in mid-March because we could also get in a few spring training games.  (Sarasota is only 71 miles from Ft. Myers!)

I'm thinking sand while I shovel the white stuff here this winter.

grins,

Masters 2000 miles
                            Henrun

We just signed up for the Gulf Beaches Holiday Halfathon on Dec. 13th. It'll keep us sane also.
                              dg.

Aaaamos you've earmed sand & sun & SEA TURTLES!      last night I was thinking of you & svelte Frank stuck inside with all the snow outside...  hey even if you'd  had a shovel, could you have used it?  stick it through the 2" door opening & fling? 

yay Henrun & Marge.

staying sane isn't exactly my issue.