Masters Running

Saturday 6/11/16 Sunny Runs and Whatnot (Read 32 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

So nice to see LaT and Lamerunner checking in.

After three very busy weekends (Green Bay, then FIL visit and SD wedding, then MIL visit with out of town trip), I am way behind with home care and weeding. I did promise to go help my SD's new wife today as she packs and moves in with him, but I told her I only have 3-4 hours to give, so I can get some stuff done around here.

4 miles briskly walking for me today.  I will see if that aggravates the knee, and if it does not, I will do it again tomorrow.

Happy Saturday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

I ran 3 this morning before the sun was up, then I took Cindy out to breakfast. Today is anniversary #33.  You may be wondering what famous athletes wore #33. Here are some:

Sammy Baugh
      Larry Bird
      Patrick Ewing
      Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
      Eddie Murray
      Scottie Pippen
      Patrick Roy
      Honus Wagner
      Tony Dorsett

Sayhey! MM#130

Afternoon!

very interesting about #33, and Happy Anniversary.

fingers crossed the walk goes well, Holly.  And that's awfully generous of you re: stepdad's wife.  Didn't you say she has grown daughters?

got in 14 miles around the 5K, kinda chopped up though, so I'll try to get in a more fluid effort tomorrow.  The RD of the 5K is a very good triathlete so I got her recommendation for local bike shops and stopped at one on my home.  Maybe we'll go shopping later..

Enjoy your Saturdays, as if I have to say that!

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

holly - sorry that your knee's giving you so much time off.

Good thing you have so much else to do, . . .

that, . .  as one of our Iron-goddesses,

you'd be doing anyway.

Dave - add Jimmy Trip to the "33" list.

We were the shorties vying for the last guard

spot on the high school basketball team in 1957..

He won out and went on to win two state championships

while I switched sports and got to do the same in skiing.

We had a great time at our 55th reunion last month

he attended with his cheerleader DW of 50 years.

Jay - I bet you're on the way for PR level RW today.

I'll think of you fondly in my 10K tomorrow

as I wistfully admire all the RW'ers

passing me by too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Hi folks,

I'm glad you got some walking in to your busy schedule, Holly. Even if you won't be race-ready for a while, you will stay fit. I hope the move goes/went smoothly today.

Happy 33rd to you and Mrs. Dave! Numerically speaking, you are in good company. Matrimonially speaking, you appear to be in good company too!

Nice mix of racing and training, Aamos. How'd you do in the 5k?

No PR today, Tet, but at 1:06.30, it was my 3rd fastest 10K as a racewalker. It was a little warm and muggy for me, so I dunno if I could have gone faster or not. I feel like I should be able to improve my cadence over the length of a race, but I'm having trouble making it happen. So that's something to work on before my next race. After all the runner awards were announced, the announcer called the walkers over to him. He told us he didn't have the walker results, handed me the medals for the winners, and asked us to go to the timer's van to find out what was going on. So we did. They had the walker results, and we got it all worked out.

Good luck and have fun in your 10K tomorrow, Tet!

Cheers,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Nice to see Lamerunner pop in.  Scary about your son Lame, and the running trails sound nice.

I've been having a bumpy past two days.  Yesterday my boss irritated me in the morning, then in the afternoon I found myself picking little fights with her.  She is narcissistic and has taken credit for ideas or things I have originated - she honestly just tells the upper management they were her ideas.  This happened in a meeting yesterday.  I put forth an idea, then 5 minutes later, she repeated it saying it was her idea.  I was incredulous.  I can only hope other people are picking up on this behaviour.  So anyway, I was in a craptastic mood the rest of the day, came home and accidentally shattered a glass plate while putting away the dishes, because I was still so flustered.

Then this morning I wasted 3 hours driving to and waiting at a government office to get my son's learner's permit, which ended up not happening because the driving school hadn't submitted a waiver for him yet.  So I will have to take time off work next week to do this, yet again.  Then, I came home to fix my plugged sink drain, and as I was trying to remover the U drain, it cracked.  So hardware store tomorrow...  Plus, lots of house work to get ready for a birthday party my daughter is having today.

All petty stuff of life, but I was at my limit of frustration today after the long and pointless DOL office visit, and broke down and cried in the car on the way home.  Ok now, kind of laughing at it all actually.  I am kind of afraid to touch or doing anything, in case it breaks!

In good news, it was mine and Mr. Blue Eyes' one year anniversary yesterday.  I'll get to see him tomorrow when we go to the hardware store to buy a thermostat for my broken water heater, and also that new U pipe.  Romance at its finest!

A run would help, but not sure I can fit it in today.....we'll see

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Enke, hang in there, and happy anniversary!  One year already - wow. Congrats.  He sounds like a keeper!  Maybe you'll make it to 33 years, like Dave!

Hi to Lamerunner.  How far from home is your new job in  Vermont?  I don't think I'd like only going home on weekends - how's that working out?

I'm at my in-laws in NJ. I ran 5 miles yesterday - it was warm but not too bad, and they have nice trails around the retirement center where they live, which are mostly wooded and  shady.  Today it's 90, though, so too hot to run.  My father-in-law took me over to the fitness center and I did some weights.  He goes there 3 times a week to work out.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Howdy and happy Saturday everyone. Sorry you've had a couple of bad days Enke, but Happy Anniversary! And you romantics - celebrating one blissful year with a trip to the hardware store. Be still my heart!

You are a very generous person Holly. Hope your SM appreciates that.

Hi Aamos! Did you guys buy a bike?

Glad you're running again Carolyn. That's a really neat way to spend time with your father-in-law, btw.

Hi Dave! Hi Tet!

Awesome 10k today Jay. I ran a 10k today as well, but didn't do as well as you. I knew it was going to be a hard race. It was 85° and very humid at the start. My first 3 miles were nice consistent splits at 10:00 but then I hit the stretch with no shade and I had nothing left in the tank. I don't run well in heat and humidity, but managed a 1:07:31, good enough for 22 out of 255 in the 60-64 AG. The race I ran today starts in front of the hospital (Bellin) where my sister passed away 2 years ago. I got a little teary eyed because the room she was in faces the street we start on. So as I waited for the race to start and wishing she was here to run with me, I thought about some of things I love about running races:  In a crowd of almost 17,000 people, runners are the friendliest folks and will start conversations and share their stories with total strangers.  I love how runners are loud and laughing, yet when they start to play the National Anthem, it's so quiet you can hear a pin drop. I love all of the shapes and sizes and age groups of people who participate in this wonderful habit of ours. I so appreciate all of the volunteers who give their time to make sure the race runs smoothly. I'm in awe of the Team Triumph and Team of Angels who run these races on hot days pushing folks who wish that they could run so that they get to be a part of the day too. And I'm grateful to be able to put one foot in front of the other, even if I'm not as fast as I used to be...

lamerunner

Hello again.  Trying to actually post more... Today after taking DS to his tennis lesson, I ran about 9 miles on our favorite southern NH rail trail. Cloudy and humid but not too hot. DS then went to the Y and did his weight workout; ski season coming; he is trying to put on some muscle, plus his coach gave him a training program-running, weights etc.  It is nice to spend some time with him.

Yesterday I ran about 7 on the Mountain road and Adams camp trails in Stowe.  Absolutely gorgeous.

Home on weekends is sometimes fine and sometimes not. We have been married a long time; it is not all bad to have a night or two alone, but there are things that get lost in the shuffle in terms of communication, so we need to take care to keep in touch. I can and sometimes do go home for a night mid week to deal with car issues, dentist etc.   DS is based in Vermont during the week for a while too, so it works out to have me there.

And on the hearing thing, my DH has both hearing and attention issues.  he has looked into hearing aids but is procrastinating. I find that important communications usually get done, but there is a lot of banter he misses and I get sick of repeating. And that can be a loss. I wish he would just get the damn hearing aids. He would enjoy them I think.  He cannot hear song lyrics often at folk concerts, for example, and struggles at noisy venues.

Eventually I guess...

Just popping in to congratulate Jay and Jlynne on their 10 K races.  Jay, 3 rd place sounds great!  and Jlynne, that must have been a huge race to have that many people in your AG.  Also, that was a very touching commentary about runners.

It's nice how a house full of 10 bubbly 13 to 16 year olds has cheered me up.  I'm glad my DD has so many friends, and she is clearly in her element today - playing a creative game with the other kids, being in charge.

Wildchild - will be sharing a van with you soon!   Glad to hear the fracture has healed and you are getting some runs in.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Lame, it's good to hear from you.  You've had a lot going on.  Dave, happy anniversary.  Jlynne and Jay, nice 10K races.  Aamos good job in your 5K and 14 miles.  Enke, what a lot of frustration.

This morning, it was about 70 and there was some wind.  I had a hard time dragging my sorry butt for 5 miles at an 11:58 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Come on Dave!  How could you not include Jimmy Trip on your list?  That was a great story tet...thanks.

Congratulations on your one year, Enke.  Sorry about all the other stuff going on.

I cannot agree more with Jlynne about out our sport.  I went for my first run in 3 weeks, today.  I loved everything about it!  I loved changing into my running shorts.  I loved walking down stairs and doing my pre-run warmup.  I loved the feel of my running shoes back on my feet!  As I was about to head out the door, I loved it when Debbie asked, "Are you really going to run in this heat?"  And I loved saying, "I wouldn't care if it was 300 degrees--I'm going running."  I loved my run!  I didn't have my Garmin because...funny...the battery some how died after the last run that I did, so I didn't really know how fast I was going until I reached my first mile marker.  It was a little too fast for a first run in three weeks, but I didn't care.  I allowed myself to enjoy my run...and I did.  I only did 4 and that was just perfect.  When I got home, I told Debbie that I wished she had a hobby or an activity she enjoyed doing as much as I enjoy running.  I love everything about it.  And, yes--the people I have met through running are the best I have ever met.

Sorry...I could go on and on and on.  I was brought back down to earth, though, when I was reminded that we had to go to dance recital.  And I have another one tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow...if you're in the neighborhood, drop by my church.  I will be playing "Super Faith Man" in a little skit that I wrote for the service.  Yep--I'll be a super hero dressed in tights.

Okay--I'd better go rehearse.  See ya!

I would love to see the skit, MikeE, please put it on YouTube ok?

I am am just checking in here to let you all know that I haven't dropped off the form, just taking a little break from running this week. DS came to town with two of the grandkids on Thursday. He has a Kettlecorn stand at the windsurfing Regatta here in town this weekend. The Daily Globe did a full page feature on him in today's paper with a little video too. That was kind of a neat surprise.

http://www.dglobe.com/lifestyles/people/4052128-jumpin-jake-standafer-returns-hometown-food-vendor-festival

Brody, age 5 and Addison, 2 have been keeping me busy. Walking to the park, swimming at the beach, picnicing at the Regatta, swimming at the indoor/outdoor pools at the Y, not to mention making cookies, reading books, having snacks, picking asparagus at the farm, picking eggs at the farm, being scared of the chickens at the farm,  having yummy nutritious meals at grandmas, I think they will want to come again to play again ... We didn't even take naps! Church tomorrow is just down the street, then back home for beach time with daddy. 95 today on the way to the pool. It felt so good! Maybe we will get the speedboat out to pull the little tykes on the super big berth Mabel tubes and those that can ski will have a chance to do that.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

Marathon Maniac #957

I thought about some of things I love about running races:  In a crowd of almost 17,000 people, runners are the friendliest folks and will start conversations and share their stories with total strangers.  I love how runners are loud and laughing, yet when they start to play the National Anthem, it's so quiet you can hear a pin drop. I love all of the shapes and sizes and age groups of people who participate in this wonderful habit of ours. I so appreciate all of the volunteers who give their time to make sure the race runs smoothly. I'm in awe of the Team Triumph and Team of Angels who run these races on hot days pushing folks who wish that they could run so that they get to be a part of the day too. And I'm grateful to be able to put one foot in front of the other, even if I'm not as fast as I used to be...

Awesome post!

Jay and Jlynne - great racing!

Dave - Happy Anniversary!

Starr - love the video of Jumpin' Jakes!

Mike - Pictures, please!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."