Masters Running

Thursday Dec 3 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 405 times)

A strange morning for me so far.

I woke up and glanced at the clock.  Figured I had 5 or 10 minutes to lay there before I needed to get up to get in my planned 7 miles.  Laid there a few minutes, got up, got ready and out I went.

This was one of those "just get it done" runs.  Had no energy and felt tired.  Started to wonder "Why so much traffic this morning?"  More so than normal.  Then I wondered why it seemed so light out.  "Must be the really clear sky".

Got back home glanced at the clock ... Huh?  I was a half hour later than normal and now have to scramble to get ready for work.  I must have fallen asleep and didn't realize it before getting up.

Anyway, 7 miles in a slow, tired 1:06.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, Bill and all!

Bill - hope your next run is better - strange morning indeed!

Twocat - I think I ran the same race as your DW.  At one point I looked back at DH (this is the only race of the year that we run together) and he was power walking.   As for the smoked turkey - we used to smoke a turkey breast periodically - loved it.  We gave our smoker away when we made our last move - may have to think about acquring another one........

Carolyn - wow - can't even imagine running in that kind of weather.

It's unseasonably warm here this morning - temp in the 60's and feels downright tropical, but we had torrential rain and winds that precluded a decent run.  6.75 miles on the TM at 10:10 and 157 AHR.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Tramps

I'm waiting for Amy to explain "Don't feed the monkeys." 

I'm also waiting for Walt's pumpkin-filled tortellini.  Yum.

Following Byll's lead, I had a terrible run today.  No energy whatsoever.  I felt bad from the start so, first, I did a route to avoid hills, then I bailed early on a scheduled 10-miler.  It was about 25 degrees warmer today, which didn't help either.  Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

7.76 @ 8:46 (middle 6 @ 8:14)

Speaking of no energy; the front that moved through last night downed trees all over and the power's out.  Thank goodness for our generator.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai- Things are good at home, thanks for asking. I can always count on you to be caring, thanks! Want to come in and guest teach with me at school some day?

Bill and Tramps- Here's to better runs for you both on your next run.

I ran 4 easy this morning. Today was our last training run for our 5K group before the race on Saturday. It should be a fun day.

Just curious, anyone here ever run the Pittsburgh Marathon? I am thinking about making that my marathon debut in May. Would welcome anyone's thoughts.

Wildchild- I thought of you this morning when I heard on the Weather Channel that Denver could get 7 inches of snow.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good morning!!

I didn't get a chance to post yesterday, one of those days I didn't get to sit down with my laptop much , but at least I had a nice run in the morning with my speedy friend. Cold and sunny, wore double layers to begin with but I peeled off hat and gloves after a couple of miles, I managed to pretty much keep up with her pace for the 7 miles..OK maybe she slowed down a bit for my sake ,..next race will be a 5K , haven't done one of those in a long time and I can't wait to see how that goes!!

I'll be stuck at work all day, probably won't have time to run but I will write my RR.

Happy runs to all,

Francesca

Marathon Maniac #957

After 2 days of not getting home until after my (admittedly early) bedtime from the tax training sessions, I felt tired and wimpy this morning.  I got dressed to run outside and then changed my mind, switched to shorts and sports bra, and got on the TM in the garage.  Popped a movie in the dvd player - Race to Witch Mountain – and started a bleh warm up at 10:00.  But you know what?  I started to feel pretty good after a mile or so, then at 2 miles I started some intervals and for the first time in a long time, the intervals didn’t seem so tough!  Even after 40 minutes of intervals (not counting a bathroom break), I didn’t feel wiped out.  First time I’ve felt this sproinky in a while.  Very very kewl.    (Byll and Tramps – sorry.  I think I must have gotten your portion of sproink today.)

Here’s how the workout went:

2 mile WU

(2 min. @ 8:20/1 min. @ 10:00/1 min. @ 7:30/1 min. @ 10:00)  x  8

1 mile @ 8:57

1.3 miles @ 10:00

9 miles total, followed by 120 lunges, 120 bench step-ups.

DH’s birthday is today.  I had one hour at home yesterday between jobs and baked a quick birthday cake while I was cooking dinner.  I put icing on it when I got home after everyone was in bed, so DH could wake up to a big chocolate layer cake in the kitchen with all of our birthday cards around it this morning.     We had planned to go to a wine tasting tonight until I remembered (duh) that I had tax training, so we’re going to take off work at noon tomorrow and spend the afternoon together, probably Christmas shopping for the kids.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Bill - I'm glad to see you have your priorities straight:  scrambling to get to work on time, but still making time to post and tell us about your run.  Smile

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Tramps

I had one hour at home yesterday between jobs and baked a quick birthday cake while I was cooking dinner.  I put icing on it when I got home after everyone was in bed...

I feel like such a wuss after reading Holly's posts. 

Great run today, too.

BTW, "Holly's Beef Burgundy" is in the crock pot today.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tamps - it was just a box mix...

ETA - I hope you like it! 

Mariposai - did you like the Char Sui Pork?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

dg.

hugs to bill & tramps & anyone else who wants one!

Holly, very cool how your run turned out!   How did DH like his morning greeting?   Tomorrow sounds like fun.

Tramps, she always makes me feel like a wuss too.   hmm.  I thought I understood the monkey thing until you said that.    Well.... I still agree with it!!  & about Tiger too.  sheesh.

Craneium, I thought of Carolyn while listening to the Weather Channel too Smile.      I don't know anything about that marathon, but yay!  :-)

Sue we had that rain last night,  I kept thinking how glad I was that it rain & not, well, that other stuff.

a gym day for me, 1/2 hr. on the elliptical, 1/2 hr. on the recumbent bike, back lifts, weight machines, and stab. ball reverse crunches & russian twists.   I did a few pt things yesterday, & other things last night.    but not 120 anything!

-)

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday, so need to go back and look at the daily.

Bill - Had to smile at your post.

Holly = Super Woman/Mom/Baker/Chef

3 easy peasy this morning. 'Nother bad night of sleep, which should be helpful with a long drive this afternoon to late at night.  I'm really looking forward to my run on Sunday.  With the exception of some irritation in the shins, I'm feeling really good.  Will just have to ice, ice, baby! once I get to my aunt and uncle's.

My running buddy Karen - Her sister, Kate, runs 100-milers and has put her name in the hat for Western States.  She should find out today if she gets in.  If not, she is considering doing the Bighorn Trail 100 in June.   And that's just for the crew! (Which, of course, I would be a part of if I can get the time off work.)

Later gators ~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

I have been salivating over that smoke turkey ever since I found out about it. Do you need a special smoker to get the job done?

Pumpkin tortellini sounds heavenly too. I may have to cook the pumpkin I have so I can spend the weekend experimenting with these recipes.

Holly, the pork was very tasty, we all loved it. I served it with some quinoa, a spinach salad and fresh pineapple for dessert...yum.

Cranium, I would love to be a guest teacher at your school...just send me the airplane ticket then we can run with your  kids.

I have a meeting in the Methow this afternoon. I will leave from here early so I can run some trails before my meeting, I will run very, very slowly so I won't be so stinky at the meeting. I think the river water is too cold now for a skinny dipping.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

dg.

I have been salivating over that smoke turkey ever since I found out about it. Do you need a special smoker to get the job done?

Pumpkin tortellini sounds heavenly too. I may have to cook the pumpkin I have so I can spend the weekend experimenting with these recipes.

Holly, the pork was very tasty, we all loved it. I served it with some quinoa, a spinach salad and fresh pineapple for dessert...yum.

Cranium, I would love to be a guest teacher at your school...just send me the airplane ticket then we can run with your  kids.

I have a meeting in the Methow this afternoon. I will leave from here early so I can run some trails before my meeting, I will run very, very slowly so I won't be so stinky at the meeting. I think the river water is too cold now for a skinny dipping.

Nancy, that reminds me.   I've been meaning to ask you, have you heard from FjordSusan?

evanflein

Yeah, I think of Fjordrunner Susan whenever I hear Methow (which isn't all that often, but I loved her stories of runs with her dog... sort of like Nono and Renee).

Pumpkin risotto sounds wonderful... anyone got a recipe? I had butternut squash risotto at a restaurant not long ago, and I remember thinking "I could do better than this!" I love trying things in restaurants and then trying them at home with improvements!

Don't feed the monkeys! I love it! Sort of like don't feed the trolls when it comes to online stuff. The monkeys here being the attention-hounds who are getting exactly what they want with this excessive coverage. Enough already!

Holly, is that one of your preprogrammed treadmill runs? I have two programmable workouts on my treadmill but have never used them. I'm too lazy to set it up, and it wants to do it by time instead of distance which I find annoying. But it would be good to use them... I've had the thing almost two years and mostly just use the Manual setting!

Byll was in a time warp this morning! Hope your run is better tomorrow, and you too, Tramps.

I had a surprisingly sproinky run last night, too. 5.28 miles on the treadmill in 45 minutes. Started at 8:50, then the rest at 8:34 and threw in a couple of 1/4 mile sprints @ 7:30 in the last mile. Foot feels good, really, but still having some lower/inner ankle/arch tenderness. I'll head to the gym at lunch again today (I'm liking these "doubles" with a gym session at noon and a run after work), and thinking 4 miles or so tonight. Probably pool run on Friday. Making this up as I go along...

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, is that one of your preprogrammed treadmill runs?

Erika – the 40-minute interval portion is one of the two programs I have set up on my TM.  While they are programmed by pace, in 1-minute segments, the TM also records the distance.  I do my WU first, then switch the TM off and on and set it for whichever interval program I want.  Then when I’m done with the intervals, I switch it off and on again and do my CD.  I just have to remember to keep track of my distance for the 3 parts.  (Being somewhat brain-dead, I usually write them on a scratch pad.)

Mine is easy to set up – I can change the paces as I’m running them, and it saves the changes for the next time I use it.  Amazing how fast the TM time goes when I’m doing these, rather than just running a set pace.