Masters Running

Saturday June 7th Daily (Read 404 times)

Good morning everyone. The warm weather continues but at least it is the weekend and maybe you are able to use this to your advantage to enjoy some pool activity. Locally there is a lake where I plan to get to for part of the day. I know that Rose and the Rocket Scientist have been there and most likely jjjessee too....Smith Mountain Lake. I realized this morning that the noon time run in the heat wore me out more than expected. That is a good lesson and I will adapt. I am going to run an easy effort 3-4 miles this morning. Good luck with your runs today, as well as any who might be racing. We look forward to your reports. Enjoy the day and the weekend. Vista
    Vista

The Jogger

Thanks for starting us vista, enjoy your run......... Went out for a long, slow one this morning, so did a half marathon distance 13.1 I always add the .1 to a 13 miler....... It is a beautiful morning here and I had the pleasure of MrsRoy and woody for the first 3, then was out along an undulating road and the Centuian Way, HR was good, then 2 girls past on their bikes in bikini tops, HR shot up, where was woody when you need him Tongue Anyway, 13.1m 02:22:52 @ 10:55pace AHR 147 68% Good Runs all Roy Need to get more training in, if I want to run with Spareribs in August Smile
        I got out of bed at 5:00 for an easy run this morning, looked at the temperature and it was already 82! Decided to use this as a rest day from running. Will hop on my bike later. Now off to the public market to find lots of nice fresh produce. Stay cool and hydreated today, or as a friend of mine likes to say: "Be cool but don't be cold."

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Roy, nice run today...good to see you back. It's a little "warm" here also in NC...80F this morning and going to probably 100F today. 8.03 miles of hills @ 9:02 pace - no stoopid HR strap again this morning... Big grin I'm not into the technical aspects of running but I was experimenting a little with turnover today. I noticed that shortening my stride and increasing my turnover made me run faster down hills and was easier on my quads. All in all, I felt that the run this morning left me feeling more energized than normal and I'm not tired. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Good morning everyone. I would have liked to skip my run, but there is no end in sight to the heat (well, it'll be for the next four days anyway), so run I did. HR was up, of course. I wonder what the model is for HR, pace, temperature and humidity. There must be some way to add up these numbers to give some idea of overall fitness. (And this is what I think about when I run?) Anyway, I did slog through a drippy seven miler in 74-77F temps, and 98% humidity. Yuck. Workout: 6.1 miles, 8:36/mi, AHR 156 Overall: 7.1 miles, 1:01 Have a great run.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Dave59

Dow 5k - 8:15am Sunny and humid but also a nice breeze; 74° (dew point 69°) Time: 27:20 Splits: 8:53, 9:00, 8:40, :47 I took another step towards being in shape and knocked 1:30 off my 5k time from early April despite the warmer, more humid air. I've managed to knock off 6 pounds since the last 5k which probably helped some. (Only 30 or so more pounds to go.) This is a big event in our small town. I saw friends from church, work (my wife's work that is), and Toastmasters. I left immediately after the race so I could get home and help with baby duty if needed, so I don't know about placing, but no doubt there were more in front of than behind me. But if I continue to improve, I can inch back up to the front of the middle. Big grin

Okay,you can quit complaining about the heat now...In the PNW it's Junuary...expected high today with showers...53 degrees
                Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                  This isn't a running day but I logged on to see what had happened since I posted yesterday. Alas, I didn't find my post from yesterday. I wonder if I wrote it and then, in my old age senility, forgot to click the "post" button. I don't want to recreate the whole thing but send my best wishes and thoughts to Aamos' husband. Thanks to DrDale for sharing his wisdom and experience. There were a number of nice runs. TheJogger, nice 13.1, part with MrsRoy and Woody. It is hard to stop a run at 13 miles. Dave, congrats on a nice 5K this morning. It sure is warm and muggy but you did well with such a big improvement since April. A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                    Good morning everyone. 6.46 miles in 1:01 - warm, humid and very windy here. I was going to complain about having to run in muggy 67F temps, but it's a fridge here compared to what some of you are dealing with! It is supposed to get to 90 here with strong winds and thunderstorms this afternoon. We're definitely not used to this kind of weather yet. Good hot weather runs Peter and WRFB. Dave - congrats on the 5K PR and weight loss. Keep up the good work! Lyndenrunner - what happened to the heat wave in your part of the country? 53F and showers - sounds like perfect running conditions. Hope you have a good run. Took a trip to the local farmer's market after my run - first one of the season. I picked up some fresh asparagus and spinich to go with the steaks we hope to grill tonight. Enjoy your Saturday, Boomers. Jeanne

King of PhotoShop

Rose reminded the group on Kick about complaining about the heat and humidity, so I dug out this old post of mine: "Okay, the Eddie Stanky story. When I first joined CR I noticed how often people whined about the heat, so I wrote a post in which I threatened to fine people for complaining about it, as Eddie Stanky did, and that post started the whole notion of fining people. Here is the Eddie Stanky story, I think recounted by either Jim Brosnan in "The Long Season" a great baseball book, or by Jim Bouton in "Ball Four", another great baseball book. Stanky managed the White Sox beginning in '66 and they played a doubleheader at home on a very hot, humid day. Before the first game all the players in the locker room were complaining about the heat and how awful it was to play two games in it. Stanky had had enough. He said, (paraphrasing here), "I'm tired of you guys complaining about the heat. It's the same heat the opponents have to play in. Forget about the heat and just play ball. The next guy who complains about the heat, I'm fining him $50!" (a big fine back in those days). So they start the game and the Chicago pitcher has a very tough top of the first, taking a long time to retire the side. He is soaked through as he returns to the dugout, and he says when he gets to the top step, "MAN IS IT HOT OUT THERE!" and then remembering Stanky's threatened fine, he finishes with, "And that's just the way I like it!" After I posted this, many Boomers would post, "It sure was hot today when I started my run, but that's just the way I like it..." We had fun with this thing all summer, but in fact, the complaining really did abate after that." Dave, that was an encouraging third mile you ran in your fivek. Well done. Same goes for you Roy, nice 13'er. See you soon. I had a weak week of running. This is my second week of 3 at 35 miles a week and because I ran poorly the last two days I needed 8.7 today to get 35 for the week. So I did 8.8 and got it done, albeit slowly. Spareribs
                        Not that I am simply trying to comply with Spareribs on this "that's exactly the way I like it" concept, but in reality I know I DO run easier and better in warmer temperatures than the cold. Mind you, the temperature for my 5.18 mile run this morning (BEFORE the heat) was 90 degrees and humid. That was a bit more than even I would prefer.....but it is "exactly the way I like it". That is a good story about Eddie Stankey and certainly applies. We did have fun with it last summer and it goes to show how attitude plays a big part in performance and results. I know we need to be careful about running in extreme heat. The thread of suggestions the other day on "How to stay cool" was just excellent. That being said, perhaps it IS good to learn to run (smartly) in heat in preparation for the days when we find ourselves in a race that is accompanied by high temperatures. Joey
                        Vista
                        munchkn883

4 sweet miles for me in the scorching heat. It felt great!! What's a little sweat among friends?!
                          Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Rain and more rain the the PNW, 50 and not expected to go up by much...good for running though!!!! My first run in a whole week. After I forced myself to rest my ankle/leg by staying off my feet as much as possible and therefore made myself fall back with work, housework and more I just could not stand it any longer and went out for a4 mile run with no watch , just see how I felt..better than expected I would say. Tomorrow I might join in the training run Seafair has planned in preparation to the Marathon and Half on the 29/6: 20 miles on the Marathon course with pacers and water station, what a treat!!! Tet:...I got my number....MM 985....!!!!! Good runs and Happy Saturday !!!!! Francesca
                              Good Afternoon Everybody! Gordon 53 F sounds very good right now Smile 7.4 miles w/DW 82F & high himidity at 8:45am Shocked slow pace as she was having a lot of trouble with the heat. Umpired double header last night of college summer league. Both games went 10 innings Roll eyes Home past midnight a 6.5 hour ordeal & it was still 81F at midnight. I used G2 for 1st time it seemed perfect in between games. Jeanne I'm going to try to find some fresh asparagus, sounds so good. Smile Amy I'm praying for continued blessings for you & DH.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

0601 76 F 87 % 13 drippy, drippy miles with the r.s. I made him run with me for three reasons 1. He always goes out with our "elite" group and then drags his sorry beehind the last few miles and is good for nothing the rest of the day. 2. He needs to learn to run slowly (irunslowly) to train the different muscle fibers (he is competing in a half ironman in Sept). BUT. The real reason I made him stay back with me (I was the last one in the long run group).....I DON'T KNOW how to get through Ford's Colony (a neighborhood I have gotten lost in and spent HOURS trying to find my way out) ANYWAY. I digress. Vista, have fun and stay cool at SML. Beautiful area. Lots of STRIPERS. HEY CRANEY, Today it was 76 F and 87 % when we started running... just flip those numbers (trading the F and the %) and that's what it was when we finished. Not running was not an option. Peter, 102 is forecast for us. I bet you'll hit that, too. ROY! Hi Roy. We ran the same distance today. Hi Lou. What are you doing 26 June? Dave, Excellent 5K! Hi Munch Hi all you goofy PNW's stuck in February. Lucky dogs. Gordon, How's the sore throat? Did you follow my advice?
                                LaVita