Masters Running

Sunday 7-21 Daily (Read 41 times)

Nice story yesterday, Mike.

And nice pic, Mari.

13 miles this morning.  The weather seemed a tad better and it went fine.

Last night I did an odd little local race…1 mile!  But wait, we’re not talking about four laps at the track. This is on the street with two hills, a 180-turnaround, and a 90-degree turn.  Not exactly a PR course. And did I mention it started at 6 pm and was 91 degrees?  I got a 6:26, which was a little better than I was expecting under those circumstances.

King of PhotoShop

Sunday is generally supposed to be my long day, but allergies really had the best of me today and I packed it in after 6 miles.  It was 78 and breezy at the start at 7 a.m., so weather was not an issue.  I had to laugh yesterday when the Saint and I had on the national news and they said people in NY were really suffering from the heat:  5 consecutive days with temps in the 90's!  Oh, call an ambulance!

Three things I'm going to do today: Watch the British Open, read, make a pizza.

Hey Karin, how did Amy do?   Spareribs

Finally!!

Tramps--that sounds like everything you love in races--short hot and late.  But a nice time nonetheless.

I skipped my Sunday run for the first time in a long while.  the tendon (patellar?  haven't looked it up yet) above my right knee has been sore for the past few day.  While it doesn't seem to hurt much while running, it's not comfortable afterwards.  i'll let it rest for a few days and see what happens.

I think I need to figure out someplace to run a race.

Nice story Mike, agreed!

Amazing day yesterday and into the wee hours this morning at the VT 100 endurance run in Windsor/Woodstock VT. This year's event was the 25th anniversary (one of the oldest 100 milers in the country). Amy finished 19th overall, 3rd woman and 1st in 30-39 age group---off her goal of 18:30, but in 19 hours and 53 minutes (with a 4 am race start---that's just b4 midnight). It was tremendous to crew for her and pace her for about 22 miles (she can have pacers from 70 miles onward) Her hamstrings were extremely tight from racing hard at Worlds (in Wales)--50 miler-- just two weeks ago. She recovers extremely well, but she was a hurting pup from miles 10-39 (long time to be hating your race). She rallied though and ran tremendously from 40 miles onward. She is always focused, never gets that delirious chatter thing going and reassessed her goals and overcame disappointment to finish on the podium and get her 500 mile buckle (5 straight in less than 24 hours). Her husband won it last year and was fifth this year with a 16 hour time---beast!  I got home at 3 am and just got back from an easy 8 mile run...and I am tired, Ha!

How did your friends do Ribs? My hat is off to anyone who finishes that beast----wow.

I didn't see Francesca or at least not knowingly. It's hard to find people as the runners get strung out along the course. There's also a 100k and a 100 mile horseback riding event going on at the same time---lots of the same course. I hope you had a good day Francesca.

I love road mile races, but it is a wild experience. Good running Tramps

MM #5616

Congrats on a speedy mile race, Tramps!

Karin - nice run for your friend Amy!   I looked up the results online and Francesca finished in 27:25:33, 2nd of 8 in her AG and 149/200 OA.

I went out early for a trail run in Centennial Cone Park.  13.65 miles in just over 3 hours.  Mike ran a whole marathon in that amount of time last week!  At about mile 9, a hiker coming the other way told me she'd just seen a rattlesnake in the trail, but she got it to move off to the side.  I didn't see it, but it's almost worse knowing it's there lurking in the grass by the trail somewhere!

Happy trails, friends.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - nicely done!

Ribs - Big grin

Stumpy - wise move.

CNYrunner - wow!

Wildchild - I will call you soon to discuss Moab logistics.   Renee and I want to book our flights sometime in the next few weeks and have to figure out what Tara is planning to do as well.

19.25 slow miles for me this morning in 70-80 degrees.  When the air is this humid, my bushy hair becomes a giant snarl, and even with handfuls of conditioner it takes me 15-20 minutes to brush it out.  I may have to try a braid, but then the heavy braid tends to whack me on the back as I run.  Hmmm....cut it off?  Prolly not.....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice racing Tramps, and crewing CNY.  That 100 miler...wow, whole different ballgame.

I finally got around to running this week, so much carpy stuff to deal with, but it will get better.  5 miles at Cougar Mtn.  Boy am I out of shape.  Now I am worried about my 10K trail race next weekend.

On the plus side, I have my minivan back, yeah!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Karin, that's great how your friend Amy did... wow. And Francesca, too! Nice job!

I didn't read yesterday's so will have to go back and find Mike's story.

Nice mile race, Tramps! I like how Stumpy put it, everything you like! Still, that's a really nice time, well done!

I ran the Gold Discovery Run (16.5 miles, half trails, half roads) today, and it went well. Didn't run yesterday because it got late and we ended up adopting a CAT instead! (heh, long story...) I only planned on 2 miles anyway so no biggie. With all the rain we have had the past couple of days, we were expecting a muddy course with big puddles and we got it! What a mess... some of the puddles were so big there were trails into the woods to get around them. Still, I love this course and the screaming downhills it has. Mile 9 to 10.5 and 12 to 14.5 is almost all steep downhill and I love it! Passed a bunch of other runners, including a woman who usually beats me and finished 8th overall (women) and 1st in age group with 2:17. Sort of right in the middle of my historical times, and given the conditions out there today, I'm very happy with it. And I wore my old Nike Pegasus that I've started wearing again this summer (used to not like them for whatever reason), and my feet were very happy throughout: no blisters or black toenails... well, no more than I already had. Beer and burgers at the end!

Came home, changed shirts and headed out for 2.2 more easy miles down the road, DH picked me up and drove me back up the hill. 18.7 miles for the day, and 51 miles for the week.

Wow on that 100 miler!  Amazing stuff.  CNY, you paced for 22 miles?!  That's got to be tough, too.

Stumpy, hope things improve.  Rest is wise.

Some nice long runs today for Holly and Carolyn.

Erika--that sounds like quite a race!  Nice job.

Just checking in to see what folks did today.

Wow....... Erika, 2.17 and an AG, you are one speedy runner. Nike Pegasus, you are happy with them? I am shopping for new shoes.

Wondering how MikeE's wife is doing with SpeedyOne not running today Big grin.

Karin, you are one good friend and your 100 miler runner is one tough runner!!!

Francesca, is another amazing runner, isn;t she?

WildChild, great 13 miler! Ready for your daughter's visit?

Ok veggie growers, what is your secret for keeping your garden weed free? It seems like I am always loosing the war against the weeds!

No running for me today, but I sure had fun doing some heavy duty XT.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard