Masters Running

40s 50s 60s and More On the run we 10/17 (Read 432 times)

jfa

"Without friends no one would choose to live, though he had all other goods."

- Artistotle

That, was one smart fellow.

Quick reveiw from last week-

Snow for Cindy, vagrants for Leslie, Good race and video from Ev, Fussy sighting, Nice cold lr for Jim, and waiting for HM news from Arla. Carol's Tri must be near too.

Hi to all. Hope it's a Holiday for most tomorrow,regular work day for me.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday, Folks.  It's probalbly cheating to sneak in so early in the thread, but I have this awful feeling I missed all last week.  I did notice several big milestones--I think they came with a lot of altitude and rocks, too.

altoghter too much snow already.  as much as I like running in cooler, even cold weather, mid-October for that much snow is TOO early.

Out this morning with 40º that warmed up to 46 by the time I got back.  my shin has been tightening up about a mile in, so I need to dig up what I did the last time I got shinsplints.  They suck.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Very Late Sunday Evening, All -

Stumpy - Shin splints take lots of ice and rest.  And yes, they suck.  I've been flirting with them for the past few months.  Decided I needed to be more diligent about shin exercises, so I stuck a note on our bathroom mirror and do them while I'm getting ready in the morning.

Joe - Very nice quote.  I'll have to print that one out as a keeper.

Jim - Sorry about the wheat planting.  Keeping my fingers crossed this upcoming year treats you better than this past year has.  And I don't envy you - any of you - the coming cold winter running.

Ev - The Cowboys won, didn't they??

Fussy - Hi'ya!  Don't be a stranger!

Was suppose to do 11 miles this a.m., but only managed 6.40.  Slept too late, tired legs, and lots to do at the house kept the run short (and I think those are all quite excellent excuses).  Got the cable run to the workout / painting room, TV and disc player in place - Score!  Now I won't have to drag my laptop out there the mornings I do stationary cycling and strength training.  It's gettin' down right homey out there.

My pops came for dinner tonight, and I must say I out did myself in the comfort food department: meatloaf, smashed taters and mushroom gravy, steamed broccoli, and garlic bread.  Sent my dad home with a good sized care package of food, and wrapped up some leftover meatloaf for a friend of mine who absolutely love it.

Okay - Gotta hit the hay.  Nite.

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Ev - nice video, really neat. Good to see that you got so many walkers out, I think sometimes our local runs don't do enough to encourage the walkers.

Leslie - I think 6-something is pretty good after 14!  I'm wondering if you're going to start back-to-backs maybe you want to lighten up on the cross-training? Does your coach know you're doing all that extra work?

Jim - YIKES that sounds like a cold run. It's that wind thing...

Joe - still kickin' butt...

I've posted my Long Beach report in the Racing section of the general list. I had a decent run but was disappointed in how tired my legs felt. I guess to be expected after ramping up the miles so quickly the last few weeks.

Arla

Ex runner

Does your coach know you're doing all that extra work?

Yeah, he knows.  He's the one who set the schedule.  I gave him crap about it this weekend while we were all running, and he says, "Well, who's the one who decided to do a race in December then go on vacation in the middle of training?" Oh.  I guess that would be me.   The good part is I've finally gotten to the point, mentally, where if I'm feeling too tired, I will pull back.  It's taken me awhile to get to where I can do that and not feel guilty - although there was nothing to feel guilty about in the first place.  Just my own brain.  And I'm not even Catholic!

Rest day for me, which felt quite divine.  And even though a couple of the cats were going berserk, I refused to get up until 6:30.

{off to look for Arla's race report . . . }

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Yuk, 45* for last night's run. Gotta keep reminding myself that I ran outside all winter long last year and I'll get used to it.

Hi guys and gals and dogs and cats and birds (did I miss anyone?),

Joe, thanks for starting the thread.  Guess you have to acclimate to the cold as well as the heat since you have a pretty full range of seasons there.  Like the quote Smile

Ev, very nice race and thanks for sharing the video and letting us see your speedy self!

Stumpy and Joe, sounds like your weather is about the same.   Stumpy, hope you can get those shin splints before they get you!

Leslie, that workout room is really coming along.  Great place to lounge and watch a movie exercise.

Arla, sounds like a really nice race.  Sorry your legs felt tired, but you still had a nice performance AND some fun too Smile. + you are on track for your marathon.

Podiatrist appt went well.  Basically, I am overpronating in too wide shoes, which caused tearing in my middle arch (fascia). It's a form of PF, just in a less common spot.  So I have some temporary inserts, tape, and new running shoes w/ more motion control (Brooks Ariel).  Probably making you barefooters cringe, but right now I'm happy to have something to prop me up for my tri in a little less than 2 weeks.  Komen 5K is this Saturday, and I'll probably go and lope along w/ my husband and support my mom, who is back to running.  Now if it will just stop raining so I can get a bike ride in!

Progress Trumps Pefection
                stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Joe--45º is about where I start feeling comfortable again.  another 10 and I'll break out the tights.    I have a feeling it's getting the stares and comments while out running in the snow and cold that is part of what makes it enjoyable for me.

Leslie--could you give me some idea of what you do for shin exercises.  I still haven';t dug into my pile of stuff to see what I did last time.  I won't say my meomory is bad, but ........................

Carol--hope the new supports keep you on the road.  have a good lope.

Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Carol - great news on the foot front. Sounds like you're all set up and ready to go!

Leslie - so, if you feel pooped, do you lighten up on the running, the xtraining, or both? I can't imagine having to let some of the running go, that would make me nuts.

Stumpy and Joe - you can take that cold stuff. We're just now getting into our nice running weather, I shall feel free to gloat (see below).

Joe - a few tough weeks coming up for you, I'd guess. Take no prisoners!

Lovely, exhilarating short run in a light rain today. We don't get much rain here, so it's really a treat when it happens. It's probably been 2 or 3 years since I've run in the rain (and that was when I didn't know any better about cotton - lemme tell ya, wet cotton sweats = worst chafing ever).

Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Yea Stumpy, I guess I should stop whining about it.Pretty soon 47* is going to sound Good! Hope your shins are feeling better. Do a search on this site and there's a ton of remedies for them.

Leslie -good going on recognizing when you have had enough. Overtraining doesn't do us much good. That lounge you have out back sounds nice. When does the hot tub get installed?

Carol- that's Great about your Mom.How's her wrist?As far as your feet,hey they're your feet ,right?Whatever makes them feel better. I have delt with mild PF before.Mostly the first 10 steps in the morning and then it loosens up.

Good Luck this weekend to your Mom and Hubby!!

Arla- 2 or 3 years since a rainy run!?! That's incredible! I guess it never rains in Southern California. Someone should write a song about that. You have been very consistent with your running.

Hi to Everyone

I'm finally, after about 2 1/2 yrs of steadily increasing my mileage,reaching a saturation point. I'm on my peak week now for Nov's marathon (called "Hell Week") in my training plan and looking forward to tapering off. I guess 8 weeks of over 70mpw is enough.Also, two speed workouts a week and let me tell you, when I hit the bed at night, it's lights out!

I guess 8 weeks of over 70mpw is enough.Also, two speed workouts a week and let me tell you, when I hit the bed at night, it's lights out!

Good grief!  I need to rest just thinking about that kind of mileage.  Re the hot tub - I'm still working on that one.

Carol - Glad you went to the doc!  Shows ya that proper shoes are extremely important.  Hope everything starts to improve and you have no trouble with your tri.

Arla - If I'm feeling completely pooped, I just take a day - or two - off.  There have been times when I've gotten up, fed the cats, sat down on the couch and thought, "There's just no way.  I really don't want to do this."  That's when I just crawl back into bed and say enough's enough.  Doing absolutely nothing on those days really helps rejuvenate me.

Stumpy - Re the shins, 2 exercises:

1.  Lean against a wall with your feet approximately a shin's length away from the wall.  Raise and lower your toes up as far as you can toward your shins then back down 15 times, then raise and lower them halfway 15 times.  Repeat 3x.  As your shins get stronger, you can rest weights on your thighs.

2.  Duck walk (Ev knows this one).  Walk around on your heels with your toes pointed up as high as you can.  Your knees will be slightly bent, and your butt will stick out.  Yep, you look like a duck.  If you can, start with 1 min, and work your way up to 3 mins.  If your shins are really hurting you, don't do anything (even run) until they're feeling better.  They will get sore from the exercises.  I do these 4-5 times a week.  When I'm consistent, I have zero shin problems.

No workout today.  Had severe stomach issues right after I went to bed last night that plagued me all night.  Bad nausea, pain - nothing that I haven't dealt with before, it's just been awhile.  The REALLY bad part was I would dream that I was vomiting and wake up still nauseous.  Now there are some good dreams!  Needless to say, I was in no mood to workout this morning.  {sigh} Time to lay off the chocolate again for awhile.  Bummer.

Hey - when we go back East, if we get to Burlington, VT, we're gonna try and hook up with Kelly and Jack for dinner.  I would finally get to meet a cyber pal!!

Okay - Off to do transcription ~

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Did short 5 in town tonite with some tempoish portions. 31 degrees with an east wind but you barely feel it in town, really nice to run in. Most of our 8 in+ of snow is gone but more rain today and our country roads are hog slop muddy so we headed to town after work to run. Both of us had really nice runs tonight. Poor Dessa had to kennel up tonight, just wasn't gonna work to take her but she had a big day playing in the mud on the farm.

Holy cow Joe them's some serious marthon training miles this week!!

Kevin nice to see ya, toe taps are another easy shin exercise, like 50 left center right ea. foot.

Arla glad u got a little rain, kinda nice to cool things off and settle the dust.

Ev you got a football trifecta this weekend.  Big 12 loooking goooood!

Carol have fun with Komen. If ya can pick up a Strassburg sock at a run store (don't need that big ugly boot thing just that little elastic looking sock to hold you toes up during sleep). Worked wonders for me, and doesn't have to be very tight, recomended to me by JB for the pf .

Leslie hope your stomach issues smooth out, tha nausea is the pits!!

Cindy hope things are working out with the big move. Weather wasn't very cooperative for ya, but no hill for a climber eh!

Loaded 2 corn trucks today that fought their way thru the mud to our bins. Trying to get the last of the 2008 crop shipped to make room for whats left of the 2009 crop. Supposed to get 3 more trucks first thing in the morn tommorow. Crosstrained cleaning out one of the bins, lots of sweeping/scooping. They got the roof on our new bin but didn't work on it today in the rain. Spose they did some fab work in their shop in town so still making progress. Don't think we will turn a wheel in the field til next week, have plenty of fix it work to do in the meantime until it dries out.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Ultrachick

Hi Everyone!  Looks like everyone is OK-I quickly skimmed through the posts.  Big news...I finally posted my race report over on the ultra thread, here's the link  http://http//www.runningahead.com/groups/ultra/Forum/c272567f78514bd0b3719d2d70889a94  It's rather long.  A shorter version will appear in Ultra Running magazine soon.

Guess what?  I'm not an indestructible superwoman!  I was feeling good since the 100 and even signed myself up for another 50 miler in November!  Well, my right Achilles/calf started talking to me and I ignored it as another little ache that would go away.  Now I have some swelling at the top of my achilles where it's the bottom of my calf and my PT says no running so I haven't this week.  Ice, elevation, some massage and I'm hoping it will go away soon!  I already decided I'm not doing the 50 I signed up for not knowing how long this will take and not wanting the pressure to get the miles back up.  It's been a harsh reality but I'll still go the race because Jack is running and the guys field is loaded with some of the top easterners so it will be fun to watch.  It doesn't hurt to walk and I rode a bike yesterday and will do more today and generally stop eating too. I told a friend on Facebook that every challenging race brings out a weakness to overcome and makes us a stronger competitor for the future.  I'm going to go cry somemore.....kidding!

Have a good day everyone and I'll try to check in more often-good luck to anyone racing soon!

Kelly

If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

every challenging race brings out a weakness to overcome and makes us a stronger competitor for the future.   

Kelly

Ultra....very true.   Take care of that AT....I'm sure it'll heal up before you know it.

Joe....What a training cycle you've had (having)!    Just awesome!  One more week and the hard part will be done....then on to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Stumpy....take care of those shins.  A little exercise I've learned is, as you seated or even laying down, extend you leg with a slight bend at the knee.  Flex your foot, bringing the toes up and back to you.  This will stretch the calf.  Hold the stretch for awhile.  The do the same, but this time, "draw" the letter J with your toes.  Draw the J to the left and right.  You'll feel the shin working.  This has helped me to some degree.  Rest has proved to be the most effective medicine. 

Leslie....I loved the story of how your "pops" came over and you fixed him supper.  So sorry about your nausea...get well.

Carol...please take care of the foot. 

Arla.....I'm so glad you got to run in the rain!   Nice HM and RR btw.  Joe's right about it not raining in southern CA.  But it pours, man it pours.

Jim....yes the big 12 is looking good.  And the Huskers are looking strong.  Boy, Pelini can sure chew that gum!

good luck with Texas Tech this weekend.  OSU plays Mizzou this weekend for homecoming...should be good game.

Got a nice 6er in the drizzle again yesterday evening.  I love running in the cool drizzle.  Scared up a small buck on the trails.  A very young 6 pointer.  I scared him up, then he stood and looked at me as I ran past him.....about 20 yards away.   See lots of does where I run, but it's rare to see a buck.

Later my friends.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

Hey folks!  

Just a quick check in for now..

Looks like I've got a couple RR's to read! Kewl!....get to that in a bit...still getting the kids settled in - that'll take a bit.  Still not running. That'll take a bit too. not as swollen, much less painful, significantly more mobile now, pretty colors though!  & I gotta quit eating so danged much~!! Holy Cow I feel chubby!!!  Was supposed to pace a friend for a leg of a 100 miler this Sat...Doug is going to do that for me...& we're both on deck to volunteer @ the Denver Marathon on Sunday...I was supposed to be "running in" some of the "back of the packers" w/the TNT group..uuhhmmm, yeah! guess I get the cowbell instead. ..The good news is that the weather is going to come back into more moderate Fallish stuff for a bit...

.....off to chase toddlers!

Cindy

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group