Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 12.20.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (4.1 morning miles in 40° temps + 2 post0work TM miles)

Jlynne (6.2 early morning miles in balmy 36° temps with black ice)

Quickadder (7.5 miles without DD at 9:34 pace at 5AM in 64° temps & fog)

C-R (5 TM miles with sore ankle)

Henrun (2 afternoon Beantown miles in shorts in 50° temps)

Holly (4.8 TM miles)

Wildchild (climbing and hiking with DH in temps in the 50s)

Twocat (7 miles with the training partner)

Surly Bill (7.4 miles on the flats with temps in the 50s, at 8:04 pace)

Deeze (1 challenge mile after busy 15-hr shift)

StarrRuns (2.5 post-work, campground trail miles in temps in the 40s)

Evanflein 5.2 TM miles [avoiding bad drivers in snow] with sore shin)

It seems that we have a multitude of bumps, bruises, injuries and wacky weather, so everyone please be careful.

Surly Bill, I'm glad you, intentionally or not, started the discussion on who/what is a 'real' runner. Interesting discussion/perspectives. Regarding trophies, I still don't understand why anyone gets a trophy for finishing a 5K, yet some races do that. Who is fooling who (or is it 'whom')? And I'm still mystified about the concept that 'everyone is a winner.' As Holly said, you can be a serious runner (or serious about your running) without winning races. But you can't be a winner without, well, winning.

I'm excite to be picking up 10 lbs of off-the-boat scallops this morning. We'll divvy them into meal-size servings and freeze them, and we should be able to get through most/all of the winter before we finish them off.

I went 5.2 RW miles in 36° temps this morning. With temps in the 40s yesterday, and above-freezing temps overnight, I would have thought the roads would be clear and dry this morning. I was wrong, and there was still black ice out there. After about 4 wary miles with involuntarily tightened quads (against the possibility of slippage), I finally gave in and just backed way the heck down for the rest of the way home. Not what I would call an exhilarating workout, but I'm still glad I got out there.

Have a greta Wednesday and last day of Fall.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Yum, Jay. I love scallops.

Dave--your poor Sabres seem doomed again this year.  Sorry about that.  My Caps are showing surprising resiliency despite the big offseason changes.  It's been fun watching them, especially the youngsters competing fiercely to stay on the roster.  Maybe that's what they needed all along.

There was a recount in a Virginia House election yesterday.  The Rep candidate had won by 10 votes, the recount put the Dem up by 1 vote, which now makes the VA House a 50-50 split between the two parties.  Strange times.

Speaking of which, that tax bill may end up putting a spike in my plans to rely on Social Security and Medicare a decade from now. 

EZ 5 this morning.

Be safe. Be kind.

C-R

Morning.

I'm with you Jay. The medals for 5ks is just too much. I donate mine to the children's hospital. Watching the kiddo and his team race and compete as well as seeing the NCAA racers, I consider myself a fitness runner in comparison. That's ok with me. I compete against the clock and my previous bests. No medals needed. But I do want one of those belt buckles for a 50 miler. That's a 2018 goal.

50-50 eh. Well I guess someone has to compromise on both sides now. Or not. Strange times indeed.

Did a 20 minute spin workout this morning as we have a Christmas light run tonight with our club. Kicked my butt. I need to cross train more. Ankle is much better today. Happy about that. Hope everyone else get the same healing vibes. Injuries are no fun.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm excite to be picking up 10 lbs of off-the-boat scallops this morning. We'll divvy them into meal-size servings and freeze them, and we should be able to get through most/all of the winter before we finish them off.

Guess  I need to get on the list to get contacted when the boat comes in.  They're a bit pricey, but the size and quality look amazing.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Guess  I need to get on the list to get contacted when the boat comes in.  They're a bit pricey, but the size and quality look amazing.

Kevin - call 'em soon to order and arrange a pick up at Rye Harbor:  https://www.newenglandfishmongers.com/

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

We old timers are generally quite opposed to medals for 5Ks, wearing the race shirt in the race, color runs, etc.  I found Marathon Maniacs and their stunt running (the 4 halfs in 4 days - that was the Half Fanatics) and all the stars and moons quite obnoxious, but I've made peace with it.  There are a lot of lovely people who enjoy doing those sorts of things, and just because I grew up as a runner in a competitive crowd where we sulked for 3 days if we missed a PR by 5 seconds, doesn't mean I need to waste my energy worrying about 7 hour marathoners.

I DID try to get outside today and was willing to put up with a light rain.  Had my trucker hat and my windbreaker, and then it started to rain too hard and downstairs I went.  3.1 miles on the wheel.

Went out with my husband for a couple more miles mid-day and it was raining.  Yuck.  2.1 miles.   5.2 for the day.

BUT- celebrating 900 days of my run streak today.  Averaged 5.2 miles a day.   My longest streak is 960 and may be in reach.  One day at a time.  900 days is a lot of damn days of running!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Good morning guys. Thanks for your recap Jay, and nice to see all of your posts - especially talk of scallops! We joined my SIL and her husband for dinner out last night and guess what I had? Yup  And while I'm sure they were no way near as good as "fresh off the boat," I thought they were delicious!

The topic of "real runner" has me feeling both good and bad about myself. I can't run as far or as fast as I used to, but I'm still out there and very grateful for that. So yes, I'm a runner. I agree that medals for 5k's are not needed. I'd rather have the organizers take that money and give me a decent shirt for my entry fee.

The temps dropped significantly since yesterday, but it was still 19° though a bit windy. I took advantage of the last day of clear, dry streets and ran 6 miles, then did 30 minutes of weights and core. The weather forecasters keep changing the snow amount we're supposed to receive in the next few days. I guess it depends on "what model" they look at. So, it could be 3 inches, or it could be 10. Really??? So glad we got rid of our Packer tickets for Saturday night before Aaron Rodgers got hurt, they won't make the playoffs, and the game time temperature is supposed to be 1°

Mike - we need a little Christmas right this very minute! How about that letter?

Have a good one folks.

Oops - RunnerKSA snuck in while I was posting. Good morning ladies AND gentlemen

TammyinGP

We seem to have a trend of our local Southern Oregon Runners' clubs races now having medals for just about every race. 5K, 5 mile, 10K, etc.   Perhaps it's a sign of my age but I find that wasteful BUT we do have more and more people registering for races then there used to be when I first joined the club about 10 yrs ago. I guess having a finishers medal motivates and feels rewarding for a lot of people and if that is what it takes to give people the incentive - then so be it and good for them. I do have quite a collection of medals but I think the only time I would feel disappointed if I didn't receive one would be for either a HM, M, or a challenging trail race. I like the medals they give out at a 30K trail race I try to do each year and that ones takes me near as long as a marathon anyways, so it does feel rewarding to get one. 

Will run a bit after work tonight. We were supposed to get snow last night, but it was only rain. I'm sure lots of kids were disappointed but those of us that have to drive around in it were relieved to wake up to rain and not snow.   I bet there will be some gorgeous snow though for my run on Saturday which will be at about 5000 ft. They got a dumping up there!

Oh, also wanted to add some news about my son.  He received his Acceptance and an offer letter from Willamette Univ. A pretty generous Presidential Award + a grant that totals about 40K. but with tuition/room/board around 64K, it still leaves a significant bill. The package received from Willamette was by far the most impressive and well-put together offer.   
                  His first choice is still Oregon State U - School of Business AND he also just received his acceptance into Honors College. He doubted (and we did too) that he would get into HC. Although his personal resume and GPA scores, AP classes, etc. are impressive, his ACT score was not. only a 25 which fell quite a bit below the average of 31 to get into HC. But I guess the rest carried enough weight and he got in. He was thrilled, as were we.  I still have a feeling he will decide on OSU/HC BUT I told him he really needed to carefully consider Willamette U. It's a very good school and he would receive a top notch education there as well.  Tough decisions to be made. Pacific U was his 3rd choice school, which he also got accepted in, but there business program is not as strong as either OSU or WmU, so they are not currently on the table.

Tammy

Tammy- Congratulations on the great college acceptances and choices.  It will be a tough decision.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

....tammy//............it's Nice to have Too Many good choices..........

==========

mild

but temps dropping when I finished...........

50-min HH

and

20-min x-bike to loosen up

PT lady was

Very Knowledgeable.............I had apparently pulled the ligaments,

so

we worked on some easy Quad and ''Knee Sorta to Chest'' exercises

to increase my RangeOfMotion

..............good Running to ya.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tammy, friend's don't let friends go to OSU. Going through the rest of life as a Beaver would be a traumatic thing for your son.

Willamette is a fairly prestigious school. One thing to consider regarding cost of education is attending a community college to get all of the basic courses out of the way; math, science, literature, etc. that are required for degree completion at a major University, and them transfer for the final two or three years (and the degree) from the major University. Research to make sure those classes ARE transferable and count toward the desired degree program at the desired University, and also their policies regarding transfers (some limit the number of transfers because they want people to attend all 4 years). Since basic classes are all the same everywhere (algebra 1 and 2, physics 101, English Literature, Psy 101, etc) there is no reason to pay $64k a year to take them rather than $3k.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

Surly,  He has several college credits right now with all the honors and AP courses he took. and as a friend who is in her freshman at WmU found out this past year, hardly any of them transferred to WmU, so she was a bit disappointed in that. BUT they do transfer to OSU. Plus, he'd likely do the dual enrollment at OSU/Linn Benton CC which will allow him to take the core classes for not only much cheaper but also have smaller classroom sizes.  And since my son is motivated to attend a college with priority on academics versus partying, then OSU would be the natural choice over UO, dontcha think?   Actually, he's wanted to be a Beaver since he was in grade school and we, as parents, as much more comfortable with the campus life, location, etc. that OSU offers.

Tammy

evanflein

Congrats, Tammy, on David's college acceptance decisions! That's a nice problem to have. My niece went to UO to play softball. She graduated but I don't think she saw much game time. At least she got the scholarship though. I'm sure whatever David decides will be the right thing for him, that kid is pretty smart that way. Smile  Although I sure miss hearing about his running and especially his coaching plans for you!

Medals: Yeah, um, no. Not for 5k's or 10k's, that's just silly. And the trend toward bigger and bigger medals for marathons and halfs is just stupid. I got this huge disc of a medal for the Mayor's Marathon a few years ago that's so heavy it's ridiculous. What's the point? I think it was the Nashville Marathon (maybe?) that has a medal shaped like a guitar that's so big you can almost play the damn thing! And then there's the downright ugly medals like the one from the Vermont race I did this past October. Bleh, what's the point? If you're going to give a medal, make it nice! See the Napa Valley Marathon or Wineglass marathons for inspiration.

Jlynne, your snow forecast is sort of like ours, but they usually give ours as "can expect 3" to 8" between now and three days from now." I think they're just hedging their bets. But we did get at least 3" and it's snowing again now.

Scallops: Yum. Just love 'em. When we were in New Zealand several years ago we ordered scallops, and they came "untrimmed" which kind of set me off a bit, but the main scallop was still yummy.

Tramps, thanks for the sobering article on Social Security and Medicare. To call these "entitlement" programs, when people pay into them their entire lives, is just revolting. Although I've worked over 27 years now in a job that doesn't contribute to Social Security, so my 40+ quarters from previous work won't amount to anything anyway. But I do think it's going to be a bad move to try to reduce, limit or cut those programs. Time will tell, right?

Running: well, I brought my running bag full of all the attire and equipment needed for an outdoor run, but the way it's going I'll probably just head home for the treadmill tonight. We'll see what happens.

Actually, he's wanted to be a Beaver since he was in grade school and we, as parents, as much more comfortable with the campus life, location, etc. that OSU offers.

teasing about the Beaver thing, obviously. It's a fine college...for studying farming and quilting 

Go Ducks

I'm encouraging the girl to get college credit for her high school classes that offer it, so she has fewer courses to take in college, and won't have to REPEAT classes she's already taken! There is a fee to get the college credit, but it's less than the cost per class at CC. I'm also a fan of MOOC and similar programs for basic classes. Our education system is unnecessarily complicated, and is more and more a business, which requires users to be savvy consumers to get their money's worth.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

TammyinGP

I know you are teasing SB   and I'm teasing about the UO partying lifestyle - - or maybe not 
                                With David's school, we only had to pay about $60 for him to take the final exam in his AP classes for college credit. So getting 3 or 4 college credits for $60 was sort of a no brainer.  and even if there are a few that don't transfer, I think the experience of taking college level exams is valuable for HS students also.  

I agree with you Erika that the size of medals is getting out of hand also. Bigger is not better.  some of our local races have options of paying a extra for a shirt, or just paying registration only. Since I have too many shirts as it is, I rarely get a shirt. I wish races also offered a pricing tier if you don't want a medal. I imagine that that would be more cumbersome to track, especially for races when they give you a medal after you've finished. But to save a few $$ on registration and skip the medal for short distance races would be a-ok with me.   Since we have a new Pres and VP of our running club for 2018, and I'm friends with the Pres I might even mention that to her. She thinks medals for all races are dumb too, but has always left that up to each RD to organize and do what they want for their own race.

Tammy