Masters Running

Santa Claus Half Marathon (Read 228 times)

evanflein

This is the only half marathon we have around here, and it's one of our local running club's cup series, earning points for end of year awards. We weren't sure if we'd run it or not because there's been such awful forest fire smoke around here causing lots of activities to be canceled or postponed due to bad air quality. (Last weekend's 8k was one such victim, rescheduled to Aug. 23.)

This was not an A race for me this year like last year (pr'd last year with 1:41:20). In fact, it follows up my first 20 miler of this cycle and my highest mileage week ever. How's that for taper? We were told to check the web site at 7 am for a message on whether the race was a "go" or not. Yep, amidst lingering smoke and heavy fog, we were going to run.

Drove the 16 miles from my house out to North Pole, to the sponsoring refinery (Flint Hills) where the start, finish and post-race barbecue were held. It was really foggy, this is taken from my car looking at the refinery across the road.

We lined up and started a little late because of pre-race instructions re: slight course change from prior years. Ok, no problem. We take off and I'm running along with a few people but didn't want to go out too fast so lots of runners pass me the first couple of miles. By mile 3, I realize this really is not going to be my day. I was tired before the race; haven't been sleeping well lately and lots going on with work and kids. And the smoke has been playing havoc on my running and life in general. Oh well, carry on. 

This race is held in the flood control project built by the Corps of Engineers after the 1967 flood that devastated Fairbanks. We've used it a few times since then, and in the "off season" it makes a pretty good (albeit boring) race course. Last year the course was changed to three 5k loops on the roads and an out and back on the bike path due to flooding. This year we just recently had a little rain, so there was a bit of mud but for the most part not bad. But I really don't like this course. Too much gravel, with lots of large "river rocks" to hurt my feet and turn my ankles. 

First water stop was mile 4.5, and while it was early for a Gu, I thought I could use the boost. Unzipped my bag and... no Gu.  What the heck? Turns out I'd dropped it getting out of my car. It was waiting for me when I got back. So, I was drinking the blue powerade stuff. Started walking through all the water stops to be sure I didn't spill. Figured this wasn't my day and I was aiming for a long tempo run anyway, so why not. Just past mile 6 we climb up a short incline to the top of the dike and run along it for the next 1.5 miles or so. This part sucks. Straight ahead, packed gravel and rocks, tripping here and there. I really wish they'd change this part of the course. Mile 7.25 we zip down another access road and back on the plain.

I've been working on form, and trying to keep a steady pace. End up watching the feet of the runner ahead of me to avoid rocks and mud. Shortly past mile 9, I see a pack of runners coming at me, and a friend yells out "we missed a turn! We've gotta go back!" So I stop, and a couple of us stand there with dumb looks on our faces, huh? Where's the turn? We turn and head back, find the missed turn  and continue on. More gravel, mud, another dike wall to climb up and over and back to the start/finish on pavement. I'm toast. Walk a couple times. I'd added a half mile to my run for no reason, but I wasn't alone so that somehow made it better.

The best thing about this race, besides all the great people involved and the post-race spread, are the funny little mile markers.

This town takes advantage of their name and is the kitschiest little spot around. The street lights look like candy canes, I'm not kidding.

Last .1 mile is a dash to the finish across grass, wet this morning from the fog and humidity (97%).

I dragged my butt across the line in 1:51:52, after 13.6 miles, good enough for 1st in AG (a real surprise). After the race, there was about 15 of us joking about the extra distance, and we all wondered who was leading the pack that had gone astray. We obviously were all zoned out and in "follow the leader" mode, totally ignoring the signs and red spray-paint arrows on the ground. I'm glad this race is done, and not postponed. Now it's just shorter distance races (the rescheduled 8k, and a 5k trail race) till the Equinox Ultra!

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Erika.. Deja vu

Thought I just read this in KR..  I did.. I did..  Congrats again.

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Congratulations on an AG win!   Nicely done despite the challenges.  I thought that was smoke in the first picture....glad to read it was fog.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Renee the dog

What a sweet surprise to snag the AG after having not your best race!  Congratulations!!!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

That race sure sounds sucky with all the mud and rocks but I'm glad you still managed 1st in AG with all the mishaps.  Rest up!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Erika---even if your heart wasn't into it, you ran well and showed that your conditioning is in a good place. It may not seem that way, but you ran strong!

Thanks for the photos too---some conditions!

Congrats on the age group victory and staying focused on your longer term goals.

Tramps

Nice going Erika.  Extra mileage and you still snagged a AG victory! 

All that smoke you've been describing over the last few weeks sounds really nasty.  Hang in there.

Be safe. Be kind.

Reading about your races puts a whole different perspective on the sport!  The obstacles you run through are often just amazing and just as often pretty hilarious!  Well hilarious to read about!  I am not sure I would want to try them out!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

great report Erika!!   so cool to grab the AG when you werent even racing all out -- you are going to rock the Equinox Ultra!!

denise

Well done Erika impressive time for conditions. 

Thanks for the report w/photos

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

no wonder I used to like the events up there so much.

halfies were always few and far between, if any.

however, 97% humidity in fbks? 

i bet the Equinox was the only event in town in 1967

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Erika--Take the AG and be proud of it!!  There's probably been a whole bunch of races where you've deserved one and got edged out by some sneaky fast person    Besides--you take off the 4-5 minutes the "detour" cost you and you've got a pretty decnt  time for an "off" race.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

It sounds like you had a tough race in tough conditions, evan.  In spite of it all, you were tougher than the course.  Congrats on a speedy half under the conditions and an AG win.

TomS

Congrats on the AG win!!  A nice reward for a tough course.  Glad to see you were able to stay tough even though your gut feeling was that this wasn't a good day to race.  Thanks for the RR.

rs

Troy Strawberry Festival 10k - 6/7/09 - Goal 46:xx -->46:18!!; Americana 5k - 7/4/09 - Goal 21:xx-->21:12!!; Brookville 5 miler - 7/25/09 - Goal-->34:xx-->36:21; Crim 10 Miler - 8/22/09 - Goal sub-1:15-->1:14:14!!; Alter 5k - 9/5/09 - Goal 20:xx-->20:32; AF Marathon - 9/19/09 - Goal sub-3:38 (PR)--> 3:41 (BQ)
                              SteveP

Thogh conditions weren't the best, it kinda sounds fun. Thanks for the RR.

SteveP