Masters Running

Wake Up West Coast Style - Saturday, Feb. 6, 2016 (Read 33 times)

Looks like a beautiful day for a race here in good ole Humboldt County.  Hope it's the same where you're racing.

{{{Deez}}} Hang in there, lady.

Enjoy your weekend, friends ~

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

coastwalker

Mornin' Leslie and everyone to follow.

Good luck finding a quick and long-lasting solution to your sciatica issue, Deeze.

Good luck in your race today, Leslie (and you too, Tammy)! I'm glad you've got good racing weather.

We got about 8" of wet, heavy snow yesterday. A couple of minutes after I got home for lunch, the power went out. So, while it was still light out, I set up the fireplace for the evening and got out flashlights and candles. I also did some snow blowing before I headed back to work. The snow had all but stopped by the time I got home later on, and it was beautiful out, except for all the stressed tree limbs hanging over the road and everyone's property. But, fortunately, our power had been restored. I took the time for my evening snow blower and shovel workout.

I had a bachelor's breakfast at our favorite dive this morning, and then headed to today's racewalking training session. Only a few women showed up, and they did ladders while I did an easy 'stay loose' 3.25 miles ahead of tomorrow's race. I'm having dinner tonight at a neighbor's home tonight with a small group of other neighbors. The hosts want to talk politics ahead of Tuesday's NH primary. Should be interesting...

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

......Good Racing leslie//..........and we're due for Snow tomorrow and Tuesday....ugh

===========

.......40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, ris

plus

60-min HH walking today just in case

.........................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Nice long runs Slo and fatozzig.  Deez, I feel bad for you and your sciatica.  Having been there ( a week in the hospital 30+ years ago), I know how painful it can be.  I hope you find a resolution quickly.

I think my eye is doing ok.  The doctor said that, because of the glaucoma part of the surgery, it would take several weeks for my eye to settle down.  I can tell that, even though my eye has been traumatized with the glaucoma part of the procedure, the cataract part has improved my vision in that eye.  It is good enough that I see better uncorrected than I did before and too good to use my old lens so I took that out of my glasses.  The stitches for the glaucoma procedure make it feel like I've got some sand in my eye most of the time. Most of the time I go around with that eye closed because of this.

The doctor said I could drive and I have made a few short jaunts.  I'm not sure I should do too much before my vision gets better in the eye that was operated on.  The doctor said not to run until she gave me the ok but I could walk.  I told her that on my nonrunning days I usually walked 4 miles at about a 14  minute pace and asked if that was too aggressive.  She said it was and to not do that much.

Yesterday, I dropped my car off for an oil change and walked a mile+ to get a haircut, then the mile+ back, and about 2/3 of a mile when I got home to give me a total of 3 miles at a 15:04 pace.  This morning, I did 2 miles on the TM at a 14:30 pace.  Just a few minutes ago, I got back from a mile outside at a 14:47 pace.

I'll try to keep on doing a little strolling, see what the doctor has to say Monday, and keep hoping for noticeable improvement in my vision.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Glad to hear the eye seems to be progressing well, Tom.  And a 15 m/m pace is not exactly crawling along.

Another cautious day off.  Everything feels pretty good.  Sort of sorry I missed today, though--bright sunny day in the mid 30's and everything around the lake looked well plowed.  It may not have been early--it was 17° when i got up, so black ice would have been a distinct possiblity.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

glad to read you are already seeing improvement Tom!

Deez - hang in there. I hope you find the right fix for you soon.

enjoy the run Leslie - that is one I've always wanted to do but seems to conflict with another favorite race here so haven't yet made the journey over there for the race.

Our race had a phenomenal turnout which was to be expected. Even Hal Koerner and wife came out (with their two kiddos) and raced the relay in tutu's in fine form. A few guys wore kilts for Todd and most everyone did dress up in some way. The fundraiser shirts for Todd were sold out quickly, but Hal is having more printed up this week, so I'll be sure and get one. It was a nice gathering of the running community and a great day for it. very mild out today. I didn't push myself at all and actually didn't want the race to end when it did. Felt good to be running out there and you could definitely feel Todd's presence there today - probably laughing at the guys wearing kilts and calling them cheaters because they wore spandex underneath.

Tammy

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

28F

Calm

Very big group this morning!  We had a "guest" runner join us this morning from Raleigh-Durham. She contacted one of guys via our website and he sent out a blast asking for someone to accompany her because she specified a pace and a mileage. Fortunately, Janice replied and the two of them went off on a shorter route than the rest of us.

Ralph had spent the 0400-0500 hour at St. Bede. That's been his hour once a month for well over a decade. Anyway, he ran 5 miles before the rest of us showed up at 0600.

So. When Carol said, "Let's go run the trails!" while we were at the first water stop, I was surprised when the rocket scientist said, "I'm in."

I had already decided I was going with Carol. Bob reluctantly agreed and the other 5 or 6 folks said, "We're going back in to town."

So our 10 miles run turned into 14 miles and you can do the math for Ralph's mileage.

But we four were thrilled to run through the swamp at that early hour. The morning sky was a pale pink which prompted Carol to say, "The sky makes me want to have ice cream for breakfast."  Can't you see why we love Carol?

Thanks for starting the weekend from way out west, Leslie!

I smiled when I read about your day so far, Jay.

tomwhite, I appreciate your clever humor.

TomS, it is great to read about your recovery.

Deez. We're hoping for a diagnosis and a treatment plan for you. Feel better soon.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Dave59

I struggled in my run this morning. 5.7 miles. I took a turn up a trail to see where I would come out and I ran out of energy. Ended up walking a lot. Probably should have eaten a little something in the morning before I went out.

I see on Facebook that most my old Michigan friends ran the Groundhog Day marathon in Grand Rapids this morning. Seems like they all did well. It's a 4.4 mile loop you do 6 times so you're repeating things just like in the movie.

mrrun

TomS - nice to hear the improvement.  I'm probably having the cataract surgery in a few months.  that's a speedy walk by most standards (not Jay of course)

((Deez - feel better soon))

Nice runs for rcg, dave and races for tammy and I assume Leslie and walks for Jay and tw

stumpy - didn't go out this morning because of the ice, so ran this afternoon and it was a slog.  about 2 of the 8 miles felt ok, the rest sproinkless.  did get hit by blobs of snow intermittently and some roads were blocked because of downed trees.  fortunately we didn't lose our electricity although parts of our town did.

fleet feet to tomorrow's racers!

marj

Deez - hope you get some relief soon!

I ran 4 miles to the hardware store, picked up a wall switch for my DS's room, and 6 miles back via a different route.  FYI - that particular Home Depot has really nice bathrooms!  The last few miles of the run were not particularly fun.  I had to walk a lot, and walked 90% of the last mile. The ligaments around my knee were complaining too much.  It was also windy, and pretty much the whole run was on concrete sidewalks.  Nope, my legs and feet did not like that.

The crockpot did not survive.

Going out to a fundraiser dinner tonight.  What to wear, what to wear?  Mardi Gras theme.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Enke, bummer about the crockpot.   And your knee.

Tom, glad to hear your eye surgery went well.  Your walking pace is faster than my running pace was - today, anyway!

I did another fat ass run with my ultra group.  The conditions were less than ideal, with some wind, and a lot of loose unconsolidated snow.  I ran the whole thing wearing microspikes, and even with them on I slipped and slid around in the snow quite a lot.  The route was supposed to be 2 laps of a 15.5 mile loop up to the top of Bergen Peak.  I was running with a new friend, Joanna, and it took us 5 hours to do the 1st lap.  We didn't have 5 hours of daylight left, and neither of us brought a headlamp, so we did an abbreviated 2nd lap, and finished with 23.1 miles in just under 7 hours.  That was TOUGH going today!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

evanflein

Deez, it was sciatica that took me out of the 2009 Boston marathon. It can be excruciating! But, it also responds very well to PT concentrated on correcting your form and posture and core strength. Cannot emphasize that last one enough. Most runners could really improve their core strength, including glutes, hamstring and lower back as well as abs and obliques. I hope you get relief soon.

Good to hear the improvement, TomS! And it sounds like you're just barely under the wire of what she said was too much. Hey, you gotta do something right?

Nice race, Tammy. Always good to hear you didn't want it to end. And so good to hear there was a good turnout for Todd and all the kilts, spandex or not!

Hang in there, Stumpy. Maybe get out for a light test run tomorrow and see how it feels.

Carolyn, that's a lot of slipping and sliding. You are way more determined than I am and I'm pretty darn stubborn.

We got some snow this morning! Only about 1/2" to 1" depending on where you are, but it's the light dry stuff that's like running in cornstarch. While I'm sure it was a much easier run than Carolyn's (I was on the flat, after all), but it sure felt harder than I was wanting it to be. 8.65 miles of that, trying to follow other footprints and fat tire bike tracks. At least the skies cleared and the sun was so bright, it felt warm even at 13°. (That's a really good sign, by the way... the sunshine feels warm again!)

Mariposai

Carolyn and Erika are two tough goddesses I admire deeply.

Dear sistahh Denise, praying for healing for you!. I too had my sciatica woes after the Eugene marathon. This also shall pass. Be patient.

Tamster, it made me smile to read your post about the race today. When I die, I hope people have a run in my honor and a mariachi band at the end for everyone to dance.

Great job to all the racers.

A lovely day here. It was sunny and the snow was just right for our X country ski date with the DH. We were the first skiers and we felt grand!!!

Then it was time to come home, take a little nap, eat and go out for my run. 13 miles total.

Life is good!

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Ok, I watched the debate.  In comparison, tomorrow's marathon would be a breeze, but for the predicted 20 mph winds predicted.

Managed the 5K without embarrassing my mentee.  Lots of turns on the course, lots of Speedsters too.  All fun.

Keeping up on y'all (some crazy race, WC, but that's why we call you wild!).  Should go to sleep now tho.

get better soon all you on the DL!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

get better soon all you on the DL!

+1

Yesterday was LR day.  It started out well enough, but as the run went on, by lower back became more and more sore.  I must have done something to it the night before, and it was slowly showing up as DOMS, but I have no idea what I did. I ended up quitting at 11.1 miles, and was extremely stiff and sore the rest of the day, so much so that I spent most of it on the sofa watching TV (unheard of!) and still am today.  I have no idea the cause, but if it is still this sore tomorrow I suppose I will go see the doctor, just to make sure it is nothing serious.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."