Masters Running

Monday 11/21/2016 (Read 29 times)

Dave59

This forum is like my diet. I try to get back into it, do pretty good for a couple days and then drop out again.

I ran 4 on the gym treadmill this morning.  I didn't feel like facing the damp, dark, cold weather.

This is the start of week 4 (of 14) of my "plan" to get in shape for the Tallahassee Half Marathon. I run 3 days a week, workout at the gym 2 days a week, and have 2 days to do anything (or nothing) I want to do.  My back was pretty sore in the run today which means I need to do my back exercises (from the chiropractor) on a more regular basis.

Marathon Maniac #957

Where is everyone?

Dave - sounds like you have a nice mix going on.

DD's counseling appointment apparently went well - she likes the counselor, and told me to go ahead and schedule another.

No run for me today, just 36 lengths (18 laps) in the pool.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

This forum is like my diet. I try to get back into it, do pretty good for a couple days and then drop out again.

LOL.

No running for me today. Still dealing with my papa Pilo's illness.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

((Posai)) healing hugs for your Papi

((Jlynne)) so very sorry to hear about your nephew

My life is less than dull as well. Worked 40 hours in 3 days - the 3rd of which was a 16 hour shift that had me up yesterday at 2am.

Last night came home to my DH not looking so well. He was saying he "just didn't feel right" and had some chest discomfort and general aches which actually started on Friday - he was trying to brush it off as coming down with something but I wanted to take him to have it checked out. He said no and was just going to take ibuprofen and go to bed - well the climb up the stairs didn't go so well.  I went up a few minutes after him and he was sitting at the edge of the bed short of breath and sweaty. I wanted to call ambulance but he wanted me to drive him to the hospital. We got there and his BP was skyrocketed but his EKG was normal. Over a couple of hours, BP kept coming down, cardiac enzymes just a tad elevated and lipase was up - they were thinking pancreas. WRONG I went home with a false reassurance, ran 6.5 miles this morning to destress and went back to hospital. His cardiac enzymes had more than tripled overnight!! He was transferred from the small campus of Lowell General to the main campus and had a cardiac cath done. He has some abnormalities in the arteries from his heart which we never knew and 1 artery was 100% blocked - they were able to put a stent in that one. Another was 80% blocked but in a spot that they couldn't reach without possibly causing more damage. A couple others were 30-40% blocked - those should all respond to medication therapy. So when all is said and done he was definitely having a heart attack in progress!! Thank God we didn't wait another day to get him to the hospital - life could be very different for me tonight - counting my blessings!!

denise

evanflein

Yeah, um, Deez... that doesn't count as less than dull! Glad you got him to hospital to get it checked out. Lord only knows what would've happened if he just did his plan of vitamin I and going to bed. Yikes.

{{Mariposai}} Hope things go well for your papa.

Hey Dave, at least you're sticking to a plan. Even a casual plan is a plan, so good for you.

Holly, did she say anything about it? Glad she agreed to another, and hopefully more. Might be a really good outlet for her.

Well, like Dave, I didn't feel like facing the conditions outside. Wouldn't have been too bad, really, if I'd had time this morning to pack all my stuff. But we were running late and I just didn't feel like it, so ran on the treadmill tonight after work. 5.2 miles in just over 45 minutes. I think I'll pack my bag tonight for a run outside tomorrow, even though it'll be around zero. Just mark that as another great thing about running in the summer... much less gear involved!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Now I knew that age was bound to slow me down,

but I can really see that the downward slope is getting steeper. 

Don’t despair rochie.
              Everyone’s different, e.g. I’ve been on the north side
              of six hours for the last four years but my nemesis
              for the last 25 years is still able to slip under four hours
              and her AG time would have won the last four Portland
              Marathons outright.
              In the meantime, after twenty-five years of over/under four hours
              or so, my three-somethings finally came in 2002 at age 58
              and rapidly lost another hour to a final sub-five only five years
              later in 2007 (64) and a last sub-six in 2012 (69).
              However, just as a final sub 4:30 did at Boomer Reunion
              in Portland in 2006 (63), last month’s RA-reunion Portland
              gave hope that, even at 73, it’s not all over quite yet (6:00:34).
              Good luck.

ps - Your half mary’s are way ahead of mine.

pps - I’d like to see TomS’s age/time progressions
              in the same races he’s been running for decades.
              ppps erika - thanks. It’s like pulling teeth to get information
              on state plans but it’s my new mission (to be completed before 12/7).
              everyone: it’s sometimes tough enough to take care of ourselves

nowadays but pretty helpless when it’s someone else who’s dear.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

DD's counseling appointment apparently went well - she likes the counselor, and told me to go ahead and schedule another.

Yay!!!!  It doesn't hurt to have an occasional hand sorting things out.

(((((Deez & Family)))))

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez - scary!  But, like Erika said, good thing you didn't let up and got him checked out.

Roch - what Tet said...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."