Masters Running

Tuesday, 5.3.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I just wrote a long post and erased it before I hit the 'Post' button, dang it. I just can't do the whole thing again.

However, I do want to applaud RCG for mentally and physically committing to (with guidance from her DPT), dealing with the RUQ, and working to resolve other muscular issues. Almost anytime anyone takes charge of their own health like that, the investment pays off.

Leslie, instead of just thinking about asking for support for a raise, let them hear your thoughts. Let them know you are happy to volunteer your time to help them out for the short term, but there has to be something in it for you as well for it to continue. It is only fair, and it is the right thing to do.

7.2 RW miles this morning. I was about 2 miles in when I decided to throw in some fartleks, so I had some well-paced miles. I still had about 2 miles to go when some light rain started, but it felt refreshing, so I didn't mind it at all (sorry Twocat). My shoulder is a little sore from improper posture while working on my laptop at the office, and I also have to get back to working with my stretch bands to resolve some minor hip/butt issues before them become problematic. Other than that, life is good.

Carry on, and have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

3.1 drizzly miles for me this morning.  Could have been a little warmer, but not bad at 46°.  I disappointed Sophie the Golden by not having any biscuits in my pocket today--didn't figure there would be too many foolish people out in the rain.

As a pleasant surprise, i acutally felt like doing more miles, but ran out of time.  Hope that feeling comes back regularly.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Good Morning, Jay, and all who sneak in while I write a dissertation... and all who follow.

I go to Matoaka Elementary and help 3rd and 4th graders with math or whatever on Tuesday mornings. I feel like I am doing nothing, really. Because. The children I usually sit with have such difficulty with simple (as opposed to complex) concepts. However, I also feel like I benefit more from these children than they do from my presence. Children are a gift.

(On Fridays, I volunteer at one of our Saint Bede offices. Here I spend more time with the other end of the age spectrum. It is such a simple job. I answer the phone and greet parishioners.)

Where I have been and where I am heading...

I will actually exercise today. I will go to the rec. center after Matoaka.

However. I wanted to share something else with you. You might have noticed that I have been section hiking parts of the Appalachian Trail here in Virginia. I have been hiking infrequently for the past 2-3 years. This last hike was particularly rewarding due to the young thru hikers we met at Rice Field Shelter.  They had started their hike in Georgia in early March. These kids are good hope for the future. I don't know why. Anyway. I have become obsessed with reading "Trail Journals". I read several of them but here is a link to one of the guys we met on 16 April at Rice Field Shelter.

Read Portage's Trail Journal.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Henrun

Hey, Stumpy-3.1 drizzly miles for me too this morning-also felt like doing more-but this is part of my post PT getting back in shape-trying to run every other day (depending on the weather and appointments). Seeing an ortho tomorrow-not sure what he can do for me but the evaluation might be helpful.

Buehrle-read that journal you posted. It's very impressive and yes, there is hope for the future.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Squeaking in as on top of work, got word this am a bunch of us have switch cubes.  There's some bureaucratic reason given that I forgot already.  I think TPTB just play musical cubes with us as a managerial strategy (never let 'em get too comfy).  So I had to rip down a bunch of runner bibs and medals, as that's how I maintain my motivation and positive attitude here.

Also popped in my Brazil "Music is the Pulse" CD.   Listening to a funny piece (I use ear phones.  I am a polite cube dweller).   Seu Jorge is a singer who covered a bunch of David Bowie songs back about a dozen years ago.  Bowie on Jorge   On my compilation CD, he covers Michael's "Rock with You."  It's like a loungey version, verrrry laid back.    Makes me smile.

Yes, astute observation Rosie.  Love you.

And in keeping with the upbeat reports from our fearless leader and our fearless stumpy, I got in 8 this morning, a little peppier than yesterday.  (I swear part of the slow yesterday was the shoes.  I keep trying to replicate a certain pair of Pumas and got a slightly more current version.....that now (too late, I know) I read has "stiffer" foam.  Yes, I concur.  O well, it's good to run in some support on Mondays.  They'll get their use.)

This has not stopped me from trying again.  I'll keep you posted on the next candidate.

Anyone else like Margaret Atwood?  I'm reading The Heart Goes Last.  Different, in a good way (so far.)

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

Looks like two good links to try and read at lunch.

Jay - We get a percentage raise at the end of each year, which I think is more than fair - and more than I received at most other jobs, so I doubt very seriously they would be inclined to give me one in the interim.  However, they do recognize when you've done a good job and deserve a higher percentage than what they've given others across the board, which happened for me 2 years ago.  I'll have to think on the asking part and see how things play out over the next couple of months.  I found yesterday that the associate I'm working with has been taken off all other cases except for these MMRSA cases - it's gotten that crazy with them.  That should help on my end since he's used to doing so much of his own work, as the associates usually don't have a paralegal to assist them.

I am a very firm believer in using PT to maintain a healthy body.  Just wish I could get The Hub to see things my way re his neck.  Can you say "Stubborn"? 

6 "solid" miles this a.m. on tired but still moving pretty good legs, in shorts and short sleeve shirt, no less!  It was colder when I left for work than when I did my predawn run.

The last two nights something really weird has happened to me - I've gotten extremely nauseated in the middle of the night, to the point where I seriously thought I was going to throw up.  Sunday night, I thought it might've had something to do with the ribs Shorty smoked because his friend's stomach was gurgling before we all went to bed, but neither Shorty nor the wife had any ill effects, and I ate ribs again for lunch yesterday with no issues.  Then last night around midnight, it hit again.  I haven't eaten anything different, done anything different, so I don't know what's going on.  I was really hungry when I woke up this morning, but that's nothing new.  Hope it doesn't happen again tonight, 'cause I was doing some serious swallowing around 12:00 a.m., hoping to keep down whatever it was that wanted to come up! 

Enjoy your Toooosday, friends ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Buehrle-read that journal you posted. It's very impressive and yes, there is hope for the future.

Hi Henry!  Just wanted to add a link... If you liked "Portage's"  Trail Journal... you should hear him sing:

Portage sings A cappella at Yale.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five lovely run-a-mute miles already at 60-degrees.

on the way to high seventies staving of the rain for another day.
                    Increasing other runners as the weather gets better
                    but no one wearing the gloves I witnessed
                    last evening. 
                    Leslie - you’re a gem and they’re lucky to have you.
                    However, draw the line when they want gratis, unpaid
                    overtime that inures to their financial largesse and not to you.
                    ps - skip the stomach part but do tell us more about how you

all went to bed to find out that your and Shorty’s friend’s stomachs

were protesting and Shorty and his friend’s wife’s were not.
                    pps jay - maybe RA can come up with an automatic save function.
                    as my AOL does as does my beloved WordPerfect.
                    ppps dave - maybe at least leslie’s lawyer’ll
                    get her some enhancements but I doubt it.
                    pppps Dr. RCG - if we’re on your disseration committee, you pass.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - you’re a gem and they’re lucky to have you.

+1

Dave - I cannot believe that smoking pot and running really go well together.

I love the trail journal.  A dream of mine would be to take off and go on a walking trek in some lovely place.  However, I would probably prefer to have a hostel at the end of each long day of hiking to have a nice bath and bed.

5 miles for me this morning on the TM.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks for the compliment, Tet, and never fear - As to overtime, I can either choose overtime pay (time and a half) or comp time.  I always take comp time and currently have close to 50 hrs of comp time accumulated.  Comp time is what affords me the ability to do all my running stuff.  Which keeps me happy . . . which makes me a better employee.  

Holly - If you want to try running and pot smoking, come to Humboldt County.  I could hook you up real easy. 

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I love the trail journal.  A dream of mine would be to take off and go on a walking trek in some lovely place.  However, I would probably prefer to have a hostel at the end of each long day of hiking to have a nice bath and bed.

Hi Holly. Maybe you'd like this one:  The Way of Saint James

Camino De Santiago

Dave59

Dave - I cannot believe that smoking pot and running really go well together.

Well, I get pretty bored after 10 miles, so I was intrigued by that part of it. Not that I would ever actually try it.

No running again for me today. I am just treading water until my check-up with the doctor on Thursday, but I do feel completely back to normal and tempted to go out and run a few.

Just popped in to procrastinate for a few minutes at work. Writing code is really, really boring! Let me see running forum, that would mean something about running. It was raining this morning. As you know, or should, according to the running rulebook Section I.1.A.a.i.(a) it says, "No running in the rain!"©. Well it was raining so that  meant doing 5 miles on the TM. My third run in about a week. So far so good on the lower leg. Now it just has to stay that way.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I love Margaret Atwood, and not just because she is Canadian.  I've read ALL her novels, except for I think the last book of the Oryx and Crake trilogy.  I will definitely reserve that new one at the library, or buy it.  I went to a reading she did once at a restaurant.  Cool.  I need to find more time to read (after I fix the water heater, that is).

4.3 slow miles this morning, 60F, lovely cool breeze.  Then BBB to work.  Felt strong on the bike this am.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."