Masters Running

Saturday in the Park (or somewhere)- July 15 (Read 33 times)

Starting us off-     Happy Belated Birthdays to the birthday kids!

6.2 this morning.  Humid.  My own personal 10K.  Some thunder in the area, but around here they sound alerts if there is lightening in the next state, so I made it back to the car without incident.   Went to Sonic for a large iced tea afterwards, which is my treat to myself that doesn't involve donuts.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Holly--now you're getting the hang of vacation!

Paul--that's kind of cool that we've got the same bike.  Glad to hear it's worked for you.

Out for 20 this morning before we go.

Have a good week!

Be safe. Be kind.

Henrun

We're in the Berkshires for a long weekend to hear my DBin-law in a choral performance of Mahler's 8th symphony tonight. The are about 450 in the chorus, a children's chorus and an orchestra of 85. It's a weeklong choral camp. On Thursday we went to a dance performance at Jacob's Pillow and tomorrow to Tanglewood for the BSO before we head home.

We did run a couple of hilly miles yesterday (in honor of Carolyn's birthday).Today a lot of walking and will run again tomorrow am.

Would have loved to attend 2cat's BBQ but too much on our plate already🍔

Sounds like several here having greta vacations! Somehow hard to picture some of you actually relaxing with all you seem to be doing. Not naming names, though.

Won my AG in the Gopher the Gold 5K this morning -- a charity run for Special Olympics -- in 28:20. The course is about 50/50 asphalt/trail and I almost managed not to trip over a root and fall. But no real damage except for a skinned knee (makes me feel like a kid again).

There was one guy my age who was almost 3 minutes faster, but he was awarded tops in the Grand Masters category. That's a classification for over-60 like the Masters awards are for 40+. He was a college track star and NCAA record holder back in the day, so not surprising that he's still that fast, and obviously well out of my league.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

flats

turtle runner eximious

Running 20 miles never gets easy for me. I even stopped a few times on my trail run this morning. I also attempted some of the bridle trails, but they proved to be very challenging. We had 3" of rain the other day, and I was slipping and sliding all over the place. Yet, I didn't fall on my butt. Amazing, I know.

I have always struggled on how much to drink on a LR. Throw in some heat and humidity, and I really suck at it. I did weigh myself before and after my run, and to my surprise, my weight didn't change. I consumed a gallon of fluids on my run, so it looks like I drank enough water on this run. Next weekends LR, I'll try it all over again.

Michael

flats

turtle runner eximious

Sounds like several here having greta vacations! Somehow hard to picture some of you actually relaxing with all you seem to be doing. Not naming names, though.

Won my AG in the Gopher the Gold 5K this morning -- a charity run for Special Olympics -- in 28:20. The course is about 50/50 asphalt/trail and I almost managed not to trip over a root and fall. But no real damage except for a skinned knee (makes me feel like a kid again).

There was one guy my age who was almost 3 minutes faster, but he was awarded tops in the Grand Masters category. That's a classification for over-60 like the Masters awards are for 40+. He was a college track star and NCAA record holder back in the day, so not surprising that he's still that fast, and obviously well out of my league.

Michael

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Congratulations, Doug!

We had our cross country picnic, last night, and it was fun.

Today, we had our cross country fundraising races, which I have whined written about in the race reports thread.

So--I went a total of 7.3 miles, today, and am heading out, now, to mow my lawn.

That's all I got.  See ya!

...YAY roach//....Nice Racing.....

===========

raining Buckets here..............apparently I should be Riking my Bike........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

spacityrunner

3 miles in the heat and humidity of the afternoon.  Took myself to the cedar creek trail here in the village.  Only place that I would get any shade...and its fairly flat.  By the end I was toast(ed).  Come on winter!

Way to win there Doug!

Trails Rock!

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks for the birthday wishes yesterday!  I had a great 16 mile trail run with 3 friends up to the divide.  I posted an "event" on FB for this run several weeks ago, and invited something like 50 local running friends.   I know lots of folks had to work, since it was a weekday, and several others had races or were volunteering or pacing at Hardrock.  Anyway, 3 people actually showed up, which was a good number!  (50 would have been a bit too many!)  The wildflowers were gorgeous, and the weather was great.  Then we went out to a late lunch at an amazing Indian restaurant.  When I got home, I took a shower and a nap, and had a nice family dinner with my DH, and my DD and DSIL, and a college friend of theirs who was in town for a visit.  I think I like being 60 so far!

Nice racing for Roch, and nice long run, Flats!

Sounds like some good vacationing going on for Holly, Jay, Tramps, and Henrun & Marj.

This is a picture of our group up on the divide at Devils Thumb Pass:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

C-R

Nice pic Carolyn.

Great racing Doug

Enjoy that performance. Mahler sounds nice. Some of the Austrians sure could compose well. The other M from Austria is my favorite.

I'm with you flats. I need 19 tomorrow and oh boy.

Good luck on the fundraising Mike.

Walked 18 this morning (didn't play too poorly), did some yard work and frankly was a little tired but still managed 5k and 30 minutes biking (~9 miles). Now I really want a nap.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

catwhoorg

Labrat

20:57 in my 5K (meeting that sub 21 target)

plus warm-up and cool down for about 6.5 miles all told

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Marathon Maniac #957

Nice racing Roch and Catwhoorg!

Carolyn - beautiful!

Rough day here....

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, swimming, outdoor, water and nature

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good job, racers!

Carolyn- that looks fantastic.    Holly- what a huge float!  That is wonderful!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mariposai

Holly, playing in the water is also what I had in mind for the weekend, the kayak is loaded in my car, but the emergency fire at one of the affordable housing complex in the county had me working this weekend.  6 miles with the easy pacer was the highlight of my day.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard