Masters Running

"Just Not Enough Time" Wednesday, 1.30.13 (Read 48 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just a fly-by today. No racewalking this morning, just more stretches, exercises, and planks. I'm going to see an acupuncturist tomorrow for my hip. It worked a decade ago, maybe it'll work again.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Tall—I always liked how you laid out your goals ahead of time.

OM—I’m curious, what do you use Garmin Connect for? Download interval workouts?  Something else?  I never took the time to explore it; maybe I should.

I have an educational post today:

A 10-step refresher lesson on how NOT to do a training run

1. Ignore the 64F temp at 6:30 a.m in late January for which you are completely unacclimated.
      2. Plow forward with your planned 10 mile run with 7 @ MP
      3. Don’t bother bringing water; you never do for just a 10-miler
      4. Ignore the fact that you’re sweating profusely after the 1-mile “warm-up”
      5. Don’t adjust MP pace for the weather
      6. Ignore the unusually high effort-level you’re feeling after just a couple MP miles
      7. Keep hitting that MP pace as you struggle through the third and fourth MP miles.
      8. Ignore the protests from your stomach
      9. At the halfway turnaround point, suddenly realize that it’s too late; this isn’t going to happen today.
      10. Turn off the Garmin and take the jog/walk of shame home for the final 5 miles while you ponder the lesson you’ve learned and marvel at your own stupidity.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

You've been watching me train, haven't you, Tramps?!

3.5 easy peasy miles with my RP...

Tramps...I did the same thing on Sunday...set out to run 13 or 14....shut it down after 9.5 and phoned DW to pick me up...

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

Enke, I'm sorry to hear of your situation, but I have a feeling things will work out for you in the end.

Arf!! Welcome back! It has been a lo-o-ong time since I saw you posting regularly -- maybe all the way back to the original C-R days. Perhaps some time you'll let us know about your adventures in all that time, Marathon Maniac that you are.

Tramps, BTDT.

Last year was the best winter running I've seen, and this year is one of the worst: either bitter cold or raining and/or windy. Likewise my run last Saturday with the club was the carpiest in recent memory, but today was really great. I did 5.7 miles with the temperature at 51F, going out at 9AM just after the rain finally stopped for a while. I could/should have worn shorts, but my 66-year-old pasty-white legs had best stay hidden at this time of year.

I crossed Paint Creek and the Clinton River a couple times on my route; both were about as swollen as they get, and I had to take one detour due to the Main Street trail underpass being flooded by the creek. Standing on a bridge back in the woods, I was watching the river flow under when along came a soccer ball floating along. Where did it come from? Who lost it? And what are the chances it will make it all way to Niagara Falls?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

...mornin' guys//.........mikeE  Big grin

been crawling around

UNDER the house to un-stop some stopped up drains......then trenched 'em out into our woods.

got a TON of rain last night and today

.........probably

NOT a work-out but everything hurts.

............going to The Miracle PoolRun to see if the Magic still works.

don't think a BikeRide is in my immediate future

(since

I probably Can't get ON it)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

(and if I could, I probably couldn't get OFF it)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

Well done Tramps. You sure can write.

Just 4.4, still no energy. I tell myself it will come back any day now!  Wouldn't care but for my five mile race Saturday.

Well, my friend was a hit on the NFL Network yesterday commenting on the media day hubbub.  Good for him. All those years staying in the background and helping others be good in front of the camera, and he did an awesome job himself.

Today's special Dallas Morning News post is a tribute to a local runner in his 80's who passed away this week.  There is no running advice or training commentary in it, just something I felt I wanted to do as he was a very kind man. Sometimes I think we take these older runners for granted as we see them at every race, they volunteer all the time and act as ambassadors for the sport.  Then one day they're gone.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/robert-cunninghams-great-gift.html/

Spareribs

TammyinGP

Sometimes wisdom comes from observing others, sometimes wisdom comes from our own experieces. Today, I'm glad I gleaned some wisdom from Tramps' experiences. Thanks for taking one for the team Tramps Wink

We have a mild, maybe even 50 degree, day in the forecast, so I think I'll work work work til about 3:30, then head over to the HS and run with the group participating in winter training (a few middle schoolers and the HS track team). Today is distance road run and I'd like to get in about 5-6 miles.

David is being featured as Prep Athlete of the Week in our local paper that comes out this afternoon. DH spent quite a bit of time on the phone with him yesterday talking about David's academic and athletic achievements so far. I emailed a photo and a summary of his races and placements he competed in last year. Anxious to see what all the sports editor puts into the feature. If I'm able to, I'll link the article, or do a copy/paste job.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Just a fly-by today.

Wait, let me guess - Just Not Enough Time, right?

Big grin

Tramps - like Roch said, BTDT.....

63 degrees (!) when I woke up at 5am had dropped to 53 by the time I left for work, and 24 degrees predicted for the low tonight, 12 degrees tomorrow night......weather never gets boring around here.....

Sadly, the morning's lovely temps were also accompanied by strong storms, so I stayed on the TM with the garage door open, watching it come down as I began Season One of Justified.

4.6 miles total

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat I do let my Garmin autoload my runs into Garmin Connect.  But, like Training Center, I find Garmin Connect rather limited.  If it were not for the fact that my Garmin watch autoloads to Garmin Connect I would not bother.  SportTracks is just a far, far better piece of software in my opinion.  Until the SportTracks plug in for creating workouts came along the one and only reason I ever used either Training Center or Garmin connect was to create them and load them into my watch.  Now I do not even need them for that.  All I would say is just try SportTracks.

Location:  No, not a handle but part B of my note back to OrangeMat.  Yes, I am in the town next to Norwalk CT.  On a typical day our weather is 5° cooler here than in NYC.  Yesterday, it was a bit below even that.  Hard to believe given the seemingly small differences.  My guess is that it must have something to do with the LI Sound, but that is a pure guess.  To finish up the story, when I woke up it was about 34° and damp out.  In my book that is cold and miserable!

Tallrunner need to work on your HTML tags there.  Wink

mainerunnah outstanding time on that workout!

arf mine all mine!  Well, actually I give away a lot to anybody that pops over.  How far are you from SW CT?

evanflein here is hoping the weather lets you get outside.

Tramps nice workout!  Big grin

rochrunner and Holly S. I would have gone with BYTM. Wink  Just saying.

Holly S. interesting way to set up your TM.  I take it the TM faces the side of the garage.  Is your garage heated?  It obviously has a TV.  How about a car?  Joking

Off for 7 1/3 miles today.  Mission accomplished.  I got up at 5am with my DW.  Put on my night running gear and headed out.  Headed out into pea soup thick fog!  I have this really good headlamp.  It puts out so much light you would think you have your car's brights on lighting your way.  In the fog?  You would think you have your car's brights on blinding your way!  I could not see a thing.  Just a white misty (although well lit) blob in front of me.  I rotated the light up a bit so that it no longer shown down directly where I was going to step (where you would actually like some light) and that helped.  Still, a pretty weird run until the sun started peaking up.  On the good news side I am finally gaining some confidence that my ankle will hold up enough for me to train to the point where I can get all through Boston without the aid of the T.  I am, you should know, a long time member of the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club after all!  Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps, what part of "64F" did you not understand?  Wink

Mild here to, 47, misty inside a cloud kind of thing.  Only 2.77 miles because something is hurting on the inside of my knee.  I know the downhill running on the trails pounded it too hard last weekend.  I will have to wait another 2 or 3 days to test it again.  Oh well.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Nice article, Ribs--one of my favorites.

Congratulations to David!  Somehow, I don't think this will be the last time we see the boy in the sports pages.

Enke--have you had your knee checked out?  Did I miss that?  Take care of yourself.

I took advantage of the 35o temps, yesterday, to run 12.3 miles outside...a lot harder than it should have been.  Now, the bottom is dropping out with 14 below by Friday.  Looks like I'll be back on the treadmill, tomorrow.  No run, today--just 40 minutes of weights and 6 dang minutes of those doggone planks.

I am very ashamed of myself.  I feel like a complete idiot.  I have been here, now, for almost 2 years...and I really hate to admit it, but...I can't figure out BTDT.  I'm sorry...I'm a failure...

Okay...I gotta go...I can't stand being laughed at...

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly S. interesting way to set up your TM.  I take it the TM faces the side of the garage.  Is your garage heated?  It obviously has a TV.  How about a car?  Joking

Twocat - my TM faces the front wall of the house, i.e. looking out the garage doors, but is in a 6-7' nook to the side of the doors (next to the door into the house).  I have a shelf in front at about 5' with a 24" flatscreen TV (with cable), and DVD player, and a fan.  Really, for a TM, you can't get much more comfortable.  The garage is not heated, but warm enough from the house overflow.  And yes, two cars fit into the garage as well.  In the summer it doesn't work as well (too hot) but I'm running outside then.

Mike - BTDT - Been There Done That....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

OrangeMat

MM #6177

Here ya go Mike. This link will solve all your problems.

I'm woefully behind here, once again. But I'm still doing my planks. It's the little things....

10.5 miles today, effortlessly. Tomorrow's a rest day and I feel like I don't even need it. We'll see how I feel for my 15 on Friday though....