Masters Running

Wednesday's Month-ending Daily, 5.31.17 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Tuesday’s workouts:

Tramps (5 muggy morning miles with drizzle)

Jlynne (a hair under 6 morning miles with windage)

RunnerKSA (4.7 chilly Livermore miles)

Holly (1150 pool yards)

Catwhoorg (3.5 abbreviated thunderous, rain-dumping miles)

Deeze (2000m swim, camper-cleaning, and 60 min of upper bod sculpt & core work)

BerthaSlayer (1.3 misjudged-loop miles)

Tet (5 mainly morning miles)

Tomwhite (40 min pool Run with letters)

Fatozzig (4 morning miles on thinking legs)

Rochrunner (34 bike miles with the guys group, with windage for 12 miles)

Flats (7 sweaty interval miles)

Mike (1.8 testing miles)

Evanflein (10 post-work miles)

I’d like to see Fences, Tramps, but we almost never go to the movies.

Good luck with the last 4 school days, Jlynne.

Holly, what would happen if you stopped working OT till you could get something back for it? And do take those half days till your July vacation!

That’s the problem with short loops, Cat.

I hope you had a good run yesterday, Tammy.

Deeze, I’m so glad you are starting to feel better!

Congrats on getting back into the rain, Tet. 

Tomwhite, the last time I dove into a cold pool, about 50 years ago, it literally took my breath away.

I’m glad you had fun with DN and girlfriend, Fatozzig, even if they made you stay up late. Good luck to both of them with their move. Great job on the 4-miler!

Thanks for your ketchup, Rochrunner.

I’m glad things went OK on your test run, Mike.

Steve, I’m so surprised that you prefer quirky movies. Tough times for your FIL/MIL, and for your BIL’s family. I’m sure it was hard for you to make that phone call. I assume things are really tough for your BIL to have to go that route - sad.

I've still got some weird, lingering pains up and down my right leg that started before our trip, and aren't any better now. I did a lot of TENS work last night, but it didn't help all that much. So I thought that stressing those muscles, even a little, on a workout wouldn't be the best plan for today. So I'm ending May with a rest day.

Have a greta Wednesday!

jei-san

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Marathon Maniac #957

Tough times for your FIL/MIL, and for your BIL’s family. I’m sure it was hard for you to make that phone call. I assume things are really tough for your BIL to have to go that route - sad.

+1

Steve - according to statistics, 40% of the care-giving spouses die first, because the strain becomes too much for them.  Does Michigan have a Medicaid Waiver program for Assisted Living Facilities?  It sounds like FIL may be too much for her at this point, and her own health may be at risk.

6.3 miles for me today in 56 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Steve - according to statistics, 40% of the care-giving spouses die first, because the strain becomes too much for them.  Does Michigan have a Medicaid Waiver program for Assisted Living Facilities?  It sounds like FIL may be too much for her at this point, and her own health may be at risk.

Definitely agree Holly. As healthy as my sister was, I think the stress and worry about dealing with the long-term issues of my BIL who has Alzheimer's was party responsible for her early death. I'm sorry about all of the issues your family is dealing with right now Steve. And you did the right thing IMO.

Take care of that leg Jay!

5 miles with the Y girls this morning. And 3 more days until retirement

''Tomwhite, the last time I dove into a cold pool, about 50 years ago, it literally took my breath away.''

yeah,

my first thought was

''gee, I wonder how cold this has to be to Stop Your Heart''

my second was

'' well I'm already dressed up for this''

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Gorgeous run along part of the San Francisco Bay from my hotel right at the Oakland airport.  Who would have thought there would be such a great place to run?  Views of downtown SF across the bay.  Crushed gravel path and asphalt path next to each other.  I highly recommend the Hampton Inn at the OAK airport!     3.1 done. Flying home.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Jlynne-I’ll have to check out Genius; thanks.

Tet—we’ve got your rain; way above normal for May this year.

All you swimmers are impressive. I can barely flail my way across a pool...once.

Leslie—you must be an early-bird if you’re out by 8:00.

Doug—enjoy your bike tour.  That’s pretty country.  I hope the weather cooperates.

Steve—wow, that’s some tough family issues (and an ethics class case study!) I hope you’re all able to work it out. Holly's point re: caregivers is a  good one.  (Interesting taste in films, too!)

BTW, we’re not much in the way of movie theater goers either.  We stream or get DVDs via Netflix.  Fences recently came out on DVD, which is why we saw it.

Potent little thunderstorm yesterday evening took out the power and left a covering of debris this morning.  Hail was hitting the windows on all four sides of the house simultaneously.  How’s that possible?  Fortunately, power came back on during the night so I could run this morning.  Out for a sweaty 8 with a couple of tempo interval miles to test things again.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Hail was hitting the windows on all four sides of the house simultaneously.  How’s that possible? 

That can happen when your house is spinning.  Have you looked out the window to see if you are now in OZ?  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

That can happen when your house is spinning.  Have you looked out the window to see if you are now in OZ?  

That would explain a lot.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Had a nice 5.5 mile run last night after work. 5 with a friend and then another quick 1/2 mile with the dogs when I got home. 

no time to run today though. Spring Sports Award banquet at school after work that usually lasts about 2.5 hrs - sometimes longer. 

didn't have the mileage I wanted for May though. only 80 miles. I thought this might be a 100 mile month for me 

Tammy

evanflein

Wow, Steve, that's a lot to deal with. I also second (third? fourth?) Holly's comment on getting some assistance. And yes, you did the right thing but that must've been hard.

Jay, 10k last night, not 10 miles. Although 10 miles is on tap for today after work. And we actually should have a pretty nice day. Like Tramps, we had hail last night too, right after I got home. This has so far been a relatively carpy May, weather-wise. Hope the rest of summer is better.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Not much going on here today. But I did have a massage and ran my one miler.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

catwhoorg

Labrat

Legs had that wonderful second day after speedwork ache this morning, but I did get my 5 miles in. They feel much better for it.

Hopefully I can ride this evening, weather forecast is OK right now.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

mrrun

we're having the carpy weather also - so much for the merry month of may. possible t-storms tonite - hope we don't get the hail

ran 5+ yesterday, so today biked around 20

((steve and family))

jlynne - are you really retiring this time - seems to me you've said that before...

jay - rest this week since i assuming you're race walking market day

SteveP - My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family and the extraordinary amount of issues you all are dealing with right now.  With regard to your BIL, you did the right thing.

If it were up to me, I'd go to the movies at least once a month if something worthwhile was playing.  Usually we only got on Halloween so as to avoid any potential trick or treaters, however, we went a couple of weeks ago and saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 since The Hub recently saw 1.  It was a hoot!

I hate cold water.  I've always admired Erika's ability to get into a garbage can of ice water after her races.

Roch - Well now, you and your wife give me hope that the age difference won't mean much!

45 min of core/ST this a.m.  I only did one day of core/ST last week.  Unacceptable if I don't want to wind up in the same condition again that I'm currently in.  I need to refocus!

Okay - Lots to do, not enough time in which to do it all ~~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I hate cold water.  I've always admired Erika's ability to get into a garbage can of ice water after her races.

Not as far north as Erika but maybe growing up a little southeast of there helped me too as it's amazing how much easing into a garbage can of ice water can revitalize the quads, etc. on the loop courses. I don't know anything about horses but got a Trail Runner Magazine photog once published me in what-seemed-to-be-a-very convenient water hole at the start/finish of a hot, dry and dusty 12-hour race once that turned out to be a horse watering trough. Hey, there weren't any horses around but those who were more equestrienne oriented thought it was pretty funny.

http://www.endurancebasecamp.com/corrections-cold-water-cowabunga/

However, instead of the heart, cold water usually traumatizes the diaphragm and can result in drowning by a frantic. instantaneous breathing reaction resulting in gulping in lots of water.   That's why I limit my triathlons to 62o and don't go over my head in Polar Bear Plunges, except for once one at 28o off a dock into the similarly-cold salt-water inlet but there were paramedics, police and firemen on hand.  For some reason, everyone else cancelled.  I bet Steve would have done it with me.   No wonder I'm starting to like summer so much.  I hope the last 13 days weren't it for the year though.

Five cloudy but dry miles.

Perfect for more gardening tonight.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)