Masters Running

Sunday, 7.24.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Great berry-picking and streak-setting, Tet. I'd say you are as ready as necessary for today's tri. But your predescription had my heart racing and now I'm all worried about the swim (but not the goggles), whereas before I was just hem-de-dumming my way along. Good luck!

Haller, if you need/want a wide toe box, look at Topo running shoes.

Welcome off the DL, Mariposai!

TW, you are a great example of determination and good humor (not only the ice cream) to other runners! Mind that heat you've got there...

Great job of racing, and congrats on your 16th appearance at the race, Tselbes! I can't imagine 140 working at one shoe store at one time - that is one heck of a big sale!

Good move, Twocat: Skip a race, heal a toe. Run another day.

Good luck today, Evanflein!

Dave - about those beards: Someone asked me earlier in the week how long I've had my beard. I had to think about it, but it is somewhere around 38-39 years. DW, when we were dating, asked me to shave it. So I did. The next day she said I could grow it back. So I did. It used to be brown, but is now grey, going to white in spots.

Here is some info (featuring a local NH runner) for those looking for new/fast marathons in Wyoming, New Mexico or Colorado:  http://www.seacoastonline.com/sports/20160723/eckerson-fast-new-marathons-for-that-elusive-bq-or-time-goal

Just as Holly made it to Cancun (yay!), we also made it to Castine, ME yesterday. There had been a 'plein air' art project going on in town for the last 2-3 days, and last night was the art show/sale. There were about 30 artists who created some extraordinary paintings of different vistas around town. Quite a few sold, and rightly so because they were terrific. There were about 5-6 paintings I would have bought if I was loaded, but we're not so we just enjoyed looking at them. I'm glad we got here in time for the show. After that, we went out for a nice seafood dinner on a deck overlooking the harbor.

5.6 and a scootch (no Scotch) RW miles on the hilly local roads this morning. I'll be used to these hills by the time it is time to go back home to the flat lands. I had my faster shoes on this morning, and was able to keep a decent pace, despite those hills.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Have fun today tet and Erika!

Happy travels Holly.  Your trip is one I'd have enjoyed, Jay.

Congrats, tomS; nicely run.

I'm enjoying being up and having breakfast, good coffee, and the Sunday paper after a lovely run (and sunrise) with friends.

We had rain last night and I managed to get out a bit before 6 am with some early birds, so managed to get in 15 miles all in under 80 degree temps.  Appreciated it enormously.

Happy Sundays, with berries to all!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Good morning Jay, Aamos and all to follow. And thanks again for your in depth recap Jay. Enjoy your vacation - and support those "starving artists, why don't cha?

Nice run this morning Amy. There is nothing better than sitting down with a hot cup of coffee and a big, thick Sunday newspaper. SOOO much better than reading stuff on a computer. I got a chance to delve into the NY Times this morning. I was hanging with my three grandsons while my DS#1 was off on a 16 mile training run. Grandma stopped at Dunkin' Donuts for a hot coffee and some doughnuts with sprinkles on them for the boys. They were happy campers! And some very interesting stories in the Sunday Times about "wall building" on the Mexican border and both vice-presidential candidates.

No run for me today, though I did ride 10 miles on my bike after my visit with the grandsons. Now DH and I are off to play in the annual husband/wife golf tournament. I hope the good golfer pops out of my bag today instead of the evil one!

Good luck to all who are racing today, and have fun in Cancun Holly!

Holly, I'll be interested in how your Cancun vacation goes.  Aamos, nice long run.

This morning, it was in the low 70s and there was a light breeze.  I did 3 miles at an 11:50 pace.

We will be leaving soon to head to our son's so we can babysit tomorrow.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mariposai

Like Aamos, I got up early to be able to fit in 16 miles all under 80f. While I don't live in Florida, our summers here can get very hot.

I hope Holly is having a very nice vacation.

Tammy, is David taking driving lessons now? BTW, how is your garden growing. Mine is not doing so well this year. Maybe it just needs a little more TLC from me.

Now off to can some peaches, 3 boxes of them to be exact Smile

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

...hi guys......

pretty hot here, high 90's

so

I'm Guessing

Heat Index

of 200-300 degrees

================

.........but I digress.........

..................also ''Why they don't let me do the Weather Forecast on TV''..........

50-min HH with 1-lb Trekking poles and 2-lb boots

Ya Gotta Love it........

......................good running to ya.............Hydrate, and Garlic Tabs to keep off the 'skeeters..........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Gold Discovery Run is done, and I've added to my 2016 collection of personal worst times. But, the good news is, my foot did ok! And I came in just under my time goal of 2:30 with a 2:29:29, so overall, I'm happy! Very obvious though that I've lost a lot of fitness, and the lack of hill training was also very obvious. That's the problem with training for flat marathons, it's really hard to get back into running hills! So, I also got 2nd out of 2 in my age group, but that's ok too. Sharon (Bad Bob Baker's wife) had a great run, and she's in great shape so she really deserved that. I started ahead, then she passed me in mile 5 or so, then I passed her on the downhills in mile 13, and when we got to the bottom with about 2 miles to go, I had nothing left. Struggled to the finish but she was a couple minutes ahead by the time we were done.

Now I'm home, cleaned up and took ibu but you know, the foot feels ok! Not great, but much better than yesterday so I'm very happy with that.

Sounds like Jlynne had some good grandson time. I know for a fact that my grandma would never have shown up with doughnuts!!

Nice running in the heat, be careful out there. While we are looking at possibly having the second rainiest June/July on record (the absolute rainiest was 2014), we had a good day today for the race which is nice. Some of you are dealing with some incredible heat, so be sure to drink early and often! (I'll leave it up to you to decide what to drink....)

mrrun

Congrats evanflein on racing and on no hurts! and to fatozzig

Nice runs/walks/bikes for others

Anyone hear from tet?

Happy vacations to those on vacation, those planning, and those back from,

Just some walking for us with music, poetry and museums thrown in for good measure!

stay cool,

marj

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tom - you may not know it but that's better

than what I"m pretending my running is

50-min HH with 1-lb Trekking poles and 2-lb boots

== = = = = = = = =

Did it!
                    In spite of swimming more than I ever have by 2X since 2005, somehow I survived and, in spite of several paddleboarding course monitors wondering if I was okay out in the middle of Lake Washington (I was) or if I wanted to hang on to the edge of their boards for a while to rest (I didn’t), did better than expected by more than 15-20 minutes. yippee.
                    Seafair Spring Triathlon legs (Seward Park - 7/24/2016)
                    1. 0.5 mi - 32:26
                    2. 12 mi - 46:42 (15.4 mph)
                    3. 5K) - 37:35 (12:06)
                    4. . T-1/T-2: 2:06
                    . . . . total: 1:58:49
                    . . . . . . OA - 395/452
                    . . . . . . men - 199/206
                    . . . . . . 70+ - 1/1
                    . . . . . . Transitions - 2/452 (helps not to have to change shirt, shoes, etc. for each of the three legs)
                    Hope ziggie did too passing her hoped 75 miles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

New skirt in town

Bravo Tet and Erika!  A PW with a healthy foot  sounds like a win to me!

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

SteveP

Evanflein, Very good news about your foot feeling OK. Congrats on hitting your goal.

The dogs and I had a run very much unlike any I've had before. Keeping in mind that I started in the late 70's. The temps had been brutal. (Thursday, a co-working was hospitalized, treated to ice packs and a fast drip IV. He was not released until this morning.)

I called DD#3 asking if we could borrow Marley. Then Tag and I hopped in the truck, picked her up, and headed to Lake MI. There was a breeze, but nothing outstanding.

We got to the trail just a few miles south of Frankfort. Except for the H&H, conditions were normal.

We got to the first overlook, and the waves crashing onto the beach was quite audible. I was getting pretty excited about getting down there.

When we got to the beach, I channeled my inner Tet and went shoeless. I thought the surf was powerful. I had no idea as to how much I underestimated it.

At first, the waves went just over the top of our feet. The dogs went nuts!!

As we went further up the coast, the berm was often waist to shoulder high. The waves crashed to the top of my thighs threatening my balance. Though it was all part of the play, the dogs were pummeled. When the waves receded, the power challenged my footing more that when they came in. A resistance training run as well as a cardio work out!

It didn't take long for the dumb animals to adapt and haul tail to various easements between onslaughts of the frothy surf.

I had a hard time wrapping my mind around the amount of erosion that has occurred since the ice age first shaped the dunes area along Lake Michigan. The tallest dune. north of Empire, Michigan has lost a foot in height each year since with was first measured. Though thousands of people climb it each year, most of the damage has been by wind and water.

By the time we turned around, I had picked up on the dog's trick of fartleks between batterings. Every time the waves returned to the big water, my feet would sink below the top of the sand. Becomes extremely solid. Only to be churned up. I'd fight for footing. Then start all over again.

Close to the end of the run, there was a very large bird in the branches of a fallen cedar. I raced to stay ahead of the dogs. From the way it was perched, it was either a great horned owl (highly unlikely) or an eagle. When  it took flight, we were treated to the majestic presence of an eagle.

When we got back to where the trail met the beach, Tag hauled back to the stairs in turbo mode. I ditched the phone and spectacles to cool off before running a mile back to the truck. As soon as I was out of the water and putting shoes on again, I was over heated.

The dogs and I have a standing bet. The last one back buys the ice cream. Today I was 1st!!! Whoot Whoot!!!! Por Taggy pulled in after I got the doors unlocked and the AC kicking. As he forgot his wallet, I had to front him some coinage. The soggy doggies hoped in back and went fast asleep.

I had to wake the dogs up for ice cream!!!

After we got Marley home, I had to wake her up. Though we only went 4 1/2 miles, my legs felt more like 8.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

+1

Bravo Tet and Erika!  A PW with a healthy foot  sounds like a win to me!

--Robin

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

Steve - awesome pics and adventure!

Yesterday was a wonderful day of wandering around and playing in the pools and surf.  Today, an excursion with xenotes, ziplining, and kayaking!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...Proof once again,

Nobody can tell a tale better than steveP..................w0w

and

tet is a TRI-ATHLETE...........double w0w......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....