Masters Running

Monday Moanin 11/26/18 (Read 42 times)

SteveP

MikeE gives a brief holiday homestead recap including Flyin Ryan . Don't forget Christmas in July.

Coastwalker not only ignores rule number one, he flaunts his defiance in the face of rain for 9 point soggy 6 miles.

Runr-Nut beats the cold front with 6.8.

TwoCat is getting a little squirrelly of rodents in the bird feeder. Why am I picturing updated versions of Road Runner cartoons?

BioGuy gets his mind out of the gutter long enough to squeeze in 10 miles.

Jlynne knocks out two eggs and bacon fueled miles.

Fatozzig is in search of the mute button on DH and shares some pastoral wisdom.

Holly's foot subsided enough for her to get 8 miles in.

Rochrunner picks up the pace for 4 miles. YES!!!

RunnerKSA gets in 5.2 feel good miles.

Joe618 runs Friday's 20 get er done miles. Take care of the IT.He knocks 5 out of the pack on Sunday.

Dave59 has an hour out and back.

Tramps has an educational 38 miles on his bike. I over dressed for a cycle-mute. I was suffering..I pulled my water proof mitten off with my teeth and my hand froze too the bike frame.

Deez4boyz spins out at the gym. She gets 1.2 on the treadmill and shops with GFs and MIL.

Spacityrunner gets out with the dogs. The run in the neighborhood has her blown away.

Falconfixer has a speedy 9 before tackling a pressing situation.

Wildchild treats us to low cal eye candy, gets in 4.5 miles and shares the vegan delights from DD & SIL.

Mariposai gets in 12 and looking to enhance the quads.

The ever loving Tetsujin209 tears up the track with nearly an hour off of last years 26.2 Seattle Marathon! HOLY WOW!

Evanflein has a very frozen 20.2 miles. Talk about dedication!

I had zero for Saturday and Sunday. Saturday was horrible for marital bliss. The mother of DW's BIL told her she'll never forgive me for calling the cops on BIL. He stole three ATMs out of hotel lobbies and I recognized him from security cam footage from two heists. I told DW in don't blame the lady for being resentful,  I don't have a problem with it and BIL should be removed from the household. A nun advised me not to apologise for something I'd do again. DW isn't as fond of the flooring as she had hoped to be. I told her she has 60 years to get used to it. It's been a frosty couple of days.

Part way through laying the click together vinyl tiles a high school friend got a hold of me on Saturday. His 85 YO dad is in rough shape. I laid tiles while Godzilla movies in the back ground. Japanese military scientists took the DNA from a trilobite/horseshoe crab hybrid, a robot (how a robot has DNA is beyond me) and from Godzilla himself. They made a weapon and then gave it free will. Then the same people wondered what went wrong.

I'm over 90% done with the flooring. I'll take my time and do my best to get it done right the first time. I'm Satisfied with the caliber of our efforts.   All we have left are the technical cuts.  My knees were barking so I put Arbonne muscle cream on them before bed Sunday. I got up three times to wash them because the stuff burns like a "B".

SteveP

Thanks, Steve and good morning.  I'm sorry your wife isn't totally on board with the flooring.  I think you did the right thing with the Brother in Law.

3.1 low HR treadmill miles- sort of a low HR test to see what I needed to run to REALLY keep my HR close to 130 and not over 135.  The answer is S L O W, but it felt good.  Watched the news.  Ugh.    Back to work now.

2 miles after work- still low HR.   5.1 for the day.   Got home late from work and almost didn't do it-  but I did!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the good-as-always start, Steve. Sorry about the rough days at home, and about your barking knees and your friend's dad. You got good advice from the nun, and the BIL is the problem, not you.

Good job of keeping the HR low, KSA. Doesn't watching the news raise your HR?

Great photos of Ryan and Tammy yesterday. It's always good to see smiling runners.

It was DW with whom I had breakfast on Saturday - she was incognito...

I put the new bandsaw blade on yesterday and spent most of the afternoon slicing wine corks. Our first cork wall filled one side of a corner, and this time we're doing the other side. I hope we like it when it's done. We have our wrap-up luncheon for our 5K today. This is when the new RD officially takes over - YAY!

After 2 days of rainwalking, I decided to abide by Rule #1 today and skipped the outdoor shower. Besides, my right ankle was achy enough to wake me up a couple of times last night, so a rest day seemed to be in order for multiple reasons.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning folks. Thanks for the great start Steve. Your wife will love the floor, just give her time. My nephew just got caught breaking into the vending machines where he works. He has a terrible gambling addiction, something that he picked up when he stopped drinking. Now he has no job. I understand what you're going through.

Good work on the low heart rate test KSA. Sorry about the Monday back to work blues.

Can you take pictures of the wine cork wall Jay? It sounds neat. And good on you for taking a rest day.

5.05 miles this morning in 26° but nasty, harsh 18 mph winds out of the NW. Stretched out well and am now heading to the Y for my personal training session. Then, a shift at the candy store. I hope you don't gain weight by just smelling the chocolate!

Marathon Maniac #957

SteveP - Do you wear kneepads when you are laying the floor?  I just bought a pair to wear while scrubbing bathroom floors.  First I tried to talk anyone else in the house to do it.    Did your BIL get any jail time?  Maybe your call stopped him from escalating into more serious crime.

Erika - nice 20-miler in the cold.  I suppose it's a good thing I did not sign up for the Delaware marathon, because with this foot thing I would not have been ready to run it.

4.2 miles for me on the TM this morning.  It is super windy out, with freezing rain/snow/colder temps moving in.

Okay, just one more picture of Rudy.  We are giving Rosie supervised playtime with him, and she seems to be getting more accustomed to him, but I crated her in the kitchen when I left the house.  We have him in a play yard (circle of fencing) on the kitchen floor when we are at work, but I don't want to take a chance that Rosie can get under it when no one is home.  I think she still thinks he is some sort of rodent....

Image may contain: dog

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618

Happy Monday, all.   Good start, Steve, thank you again.    Fully, fully agree with your view on the BIL.   Calling a truth out to a relative is still right.

Tet, awesome job on the Seattle Marathon!!    Way to go and way to enjoy some sunshine there.

When I started my current era of running in 2004, I was looking for sources of info about running and much was on blogs.  I then started my own running blog, just to talk about running and things related.   Alas, Twitter (once called "microblogging") and then Facebook supplanted blogs, which are now largely irrelevant.

I kept my blog going, though, as I wanted someplace on line where I could post race reports and other reference information and it would remain, searchable and linkable.

In the reference mode, I just posted here my experience fixing runner's toenails.   Ended up with 16 month's worth of photos and descriptions of two visits to a local podiatrist to deal with my two very gnarly big toenails.      Feel free to read or pass along.

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Forgot to congratulate you, tet!  Good job.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

mrrun

congrats TET - wait to go - all that training and x-training paid off.....

steve - once again has given super-kudos

Rudy is adorable and perfect size (unlike Henry's DD who has an elephant-sized puppy)

power walked 3 miles to Amazon return center for gift that's no longer wanted.  all other gifts bought or TBD - to be delivered

more walking both as exercise and to go hear Comey talk.  cooking brisket because it was on sale at costco and easier to cook and freeze then freeze, defrost, cook, and refreeze.

happy cyber monday - hope you're not sinking under the cyber and giving emails..

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Rudy is adorable and perfect size (unlike Henry's DD who has an elephant-sized puppy)

When we went to cut our Christmas tree, we met a lovely 9-week-old golden retriever puppy.  I was thinking, though, that Rudy will be at least 4 months old before he reaches that size.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Joe! Thanks for that blog post on runner's toes! I have that very same "A-frame" thing going on with the third toe on my right foot. My issue is always my right foot, it seems, but it's half a size bigger than the left and has a metatarsal deformation and hammertoe that causes problems. But, my third toe doesn't hurt, just looks like hell. Since I've resigned to having ugly feet a long time ago, I don't worry about it too much. But it would be nice to have it grow more normally and not up like it's doing. And bummer about the PF, you were dealing with that and off running about the same time I was with a stress fracture. Hoping 2019 is better for feet, toes and tibias!

Holly, that Rudy is such a cutie with his little black-button eyes and nose. Hope Rosie gets over her nose-out-of-joint issue and accepts him. And we'll sure miss you at Rehoboth. At this time we're planning on grabbing Hally in NY and taking her down with us, as well as a runner friend from Fairbanks.

Steve, I think I remember you talking about the BIL earlier. You definitely did the right thing. And I hope the flooring fiasco settles down soon.

Rest day here. Going to enjoy this two-week taper and rest up a bit.

.......tet TRAINING???????.......maybe he was talking about riding a train.....

Excellent Racing tho'

=========

....26-degrees with WindChill and spitting flurries....not pleasant......

(I was inside,

but

it still wasn't pleasant)

,...,40-min PoolRunning/shoes.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Henrun

Tet-you’re my inspiration!!!

Forgot to mention my 2.5 miles yesterday in the fog (see FB)

Had a sleepless night, so taking it relatively easy today-8.5 miles of indoor cycling and weights.

Tasted some of that brisket- spicy and perfect for my tastes-will be toned down before the grandkids get to it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Tet, I'll add my congrats for your marathon!  Who says you get slower as you get older?

I met two dirt diva running friends for a 6 miler this morning.  Most of the trail was dry but there were some sections of death ice.  Fortunately none of us fell down, but our overall pace was pretty slow.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Holly S. yep, Rudy is very cute.

deez4boyz and coastwalker the rules are there for your own protection.

wildchild nifty picture. Who took it?

tetsujin209 heck brag away! About those squirrels, not sure I want to try bribery as a way to defeat bird feeder raiding. I am thinking more baffling is about as far as I am willing to go.

evanflein I think town street plows are set to go out to maximize the inconvenience they can create. They must have drones. When they see you have cleared your driveway then then come by and block it. For good measure they will also occasionally knock your mailbox over.

SteveP you have my vote to kick your BIL out of your life. I am not sure I have any sympathy for BIL's mom either. She should go as well. I finally got my BIL out of my life. He joins my younger brother. I cannot say I am sorry about either departure.

This morning was a PT session. She told me she might start me on some light jogging on the TM soon. Yahoo! Man that has to beat the recumbent bike! If you think the TM is dull try one of those bikes. You might stop complaining about TM running for say a week or two.  Regarding my battle with the squirrel, so far the WD-40 seems to have it baffled.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Forgot to praise the great pics yesterday (and Rudy again today). Nice.

Steve--not sure what a "cycle-mute" is but that was funny.

Jay--I missed the origin of the cork wall...soundproofing, wine collecting, or just an interesting visual look? Either way, sounds interesting.

Alas, Twitter (once called "microblogging") and then Facebook supplanted blogs, which are now largely irrelevant.

I'd have to disagree there. Plenty of great blogs out there. Given the mess Facebook is in, I'd love to see a revival of more independent blogs.

Had a consult with an orthopedic surgeon today to discuss my knee situation. Useful, I think.

• Confirmed that I'm not a candidate for any type of "repair" surgery; the tears are too complex and are due to simple degeneration due to age, not trauma. (He suspects my other knee is in similar condition, even though it hasn't bothered me yet.) I could get scoped in the future if the pain gets more severe or it starts locking up; but that is short-term pain alleviation, not a fix, and that kind of surgery exacerbates osteoarthritis later on.  Ten or fifteen years ago, he said, there were more surgeons pushing more surgery but with long-term studies showing the negative effects the norm today is to avoid the surgery if you can.
                                • He thought I was "pushing it" with 5-mile runs and recommended cutting back some to 3-milers to see if that would help ease discomfort or, as my sports doc had recommended, stop running entirely and replace it with cycling or swimming. Essentially he subscribes to the theory that your knees wear from the impact. Pile on more impact (e.g. more miles running) and they wear more quickly; cut back on the impact (less running or switching to exercise with less impact) and you can typically expect to lengthen the life of your knees. Sort of a "use it and lose it" understanding.
                                • That led to an interesting discussion of "runner bias"--the idea that injured runners drop out of running groups, online communities, etc, so these places become populated only by older runners who (1) start running relatively late in life and haven't experienced the damage yet, or (2) have extremely good genetics. Either way they tend to forget that running marathons in your 50s, 60s, and beyond is the exception, not the norm and that for most people running does have a downside, though of course it's better than a sedentary lifestyle.
                                • He's also involved with PRP (platelet rich plasma) treatments. He's seen some good pain reduction using it with patients but he made clear it is still experimental, without sufficient research on long-term effects, who's most likely to benefit, etc. 

So there's no "fix" for this, only pain management. Surgery is not in the immediate future. I'm not being totally stupid in continuing to run some but, clearly, more and more of my exercise will need to come from non-running activity. Nothing earth-shattering but useful to get confirmation of essentially what I was thinking.

Be safe. Be kind.