Masters Running

Gratitude Sunday (Read 34 times)

Thank you to all for your concerns over my physical and emotional pain!!  I am so grateful for all the support we give each other here. Know that I am taking all your advice and well wishes to heart!!

I volunteered at the Fudgcicle Race series yesterday since I had to drop out ..... our 91 yr old runner/walker is still hanging in there now 6/6!!

So hard looking at all the beautiful pictures of this storm because as much as I try to appreciate the beauty, I keep thinking of the 6 yr old girl who was struck by a falling tree as she played in her own yard. I can't imagine the grief her family is feeling right now - her father was right in the yard playing and shoveling and couldn't do anything to stop it. A reminder of how beautiful yet deadly these storms can be.

Sorry to hear others not quite up to themselves right now ...Holly, Henrun, Stumpy and others I'm sure I'm missing

Stumpy - hope we are both well enough for Half at the Hamptons, altho I am thinking my appearance is doubtful

Tselbs - hope your eye continues to show great improvement!!

denise

Sayhey! MM#130

Deez, so true.  One of my AmeriCorps attorneys relocated to NC and set up a practice there.  She was a formerly battered woman who had gotten everything together; daughter at Sarah Lawrence, engaged to a super guy--she was killed when a tree came down on her car in a storm.

We are ready to get serious about the SB, with 39.3 miles between us, on the way home from Melbourne.  DH will confirm I am not exaggerating: the last mile (also my mile 12) was over a bridge (one of 2 on the course--the other one had the grand piano and pianist) and straight into 20 mph winds.  I slowly crawled to the top

, thinking gravity would bring me home.  Wrong!  Leaned forward into the wind as I crested the bridge and the dang wind won, blowing me upright.  Couldn't get aerodynamic and had to fight my way down and over to the finish.  Those kinds of races make you feel a sense of accomplishment, silly as it is over a race.

We (DH, Simon and me) have to stop at the grocers on the way home for the week.  Any SB food suggestions?

grins

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

12:05

45F

5.14 miles of walking/running with Leonidas in the swamp.

70 minutes

Overcast and chilly set the tone for our Sunday afternoon excursion.  Leon sniffed a little and I tried to figure out the meaning of my life.

We'll go to mass at 5 and then a quiet evening watching the Big Game. I want the Carolina Broncos or the Denver Panthers to win. I like Peyton Newton and Cam Manning. I think they are good athletes.

I am going to make a pot of chili.

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

moebo

Deez, great of you to volunteer at the race. And how sad for that little girl and her family.

Nice job toughing it out in the wind, Aamos. I don't have any SB food suggestions you would like, but your DH might enjoy some pigs in a blanket. That's what I am making later today for the party I have been invited to. Gross but so delicious!

Like Deez, I am very sorry that so many are on the DL right now. Holly, I hope you are much better today! And Henrun, I hope your calf trouble heals up quick in the Florida warmth.

The lingering snow and ice kept me inside today. 6 miles on the TM. I wanted to go longer but just couldn't make myself stay on the darn machine any longer than that. I hope I can get outside again soon!

Rose, it looks like we were typing at the same time. Coincidentally, I thought about the meaning of my life during my run today, too. No answer yet.

coastwalker

Hi everyone.

Good for you for volunteering at the race yesterday, Deeze. I'm sure your help was much appreciated. Was the 91 year-old Lou Peters? He is amazing! I didn't see the story about the 6 year-old girl who was hit by a tree - what a tragedy. Especially with a lot of wet snow, those storms sure can be dangerous.

Aamos, that's a very sad story about the NC attorney too, especially since she had worked so hard to get her life right. Sounds like a heck of a finish to your race yesterday! If you were slower (like me), you could always find someone to hide behind when going into a head wind like that. I hope you come up with something good to eat by game time. Whatever is easy and that you like will be perfect.

Good swamp walk and TM runs, RCG and Moebo. Sounds like an interesting afternoon excursion, RCG!

The MidWinter Classic 10-miler is a hard race with a lot of hills, and/or I was undertrained for it. It was, however, a beautiful day for a race, with temps in the mid-upper 30s at the start, and lots of sunshine. I was using this as a training race for a hilly half I have coming up next month. My last 3 miles were my slowest because they were almost all uphill, and I was pretty well fried from having pushed the pace early on. But I stuck with it as best I could. #9 was my slowest mile at 11:03, and I had 2 earlier miles at 10:37, and I averaged 10:45, and I was OK with that. I didn't see Milktruck until I saw him waiting for me near the finish (he was already run and done). It was great to see him, and we did hang together for a bit. But, being as tired as I was, and with a bit of stomach distress, I headed for home fairly quickly. Still, it was a pretty good training race!

Have a greta Sunday afternoon & evening, whatever you watch, and whatever you eat!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Rose, it looks like we were typing at the same time. Coincidentally, I thought about the meaning of my life during my run today, too. No answer yet.

Keep me posted.

And, yes, I was wondering how Holly is feeling today. Lower back pain? No UTI symptoms, right?

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

3.2 exploratory miles this morning once it got above freezing.  The knee let me know it was there, but didn't get worse during or after, so counting it as a success.  Deez--I'm hoping that this will be just a minor distraction.  Nothing like sciatica.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.

As an even sadder addendum to the little girl, I saw on the news last night that a man had also been killed by a branch in the same town, less than 4 miles away.  I think I heard that the same first responders went to both.

Amy--it was awful the way the wind knocked you back--only 3rd OA woman.   Probably a little late for you, but I have a nice pot of Greek style lentil soup simmering on the stove. DW will make a batch of feta chees bisquits to go with us to watch with across the street neighbors. Yum.

Nice race pace, Jay.

Hope Holly isn't a long term DL member.  Feel better, too, Henry--don't want to spoil the nice weather with limping about.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Nice couple of races, Aamos, especially today's battle with the wind.  Holly, I hope your back problem is temporary.  Same with your calf, henrun.  Jay, good job in your 10 mile race.

Nice long runs for RCG (and RS), wild, and Holly.

This morning, I walked 2 miles on the TM at a 14:27 pace.  This afternoon, I went outside and walked another mile in 14:10.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Happy Super Bowl Sunday to everyone. Hope you all have your menus and the meaning of life figured out   I'm sorry that so many of us are on the DL right now. I hope that Deez, Holly and Kevin find relief soon, and that Jay's stomach distress was short-lived.

Way to tough it out today Amos. Congrats on finishing 3rd.

Hi RCG!

I ran a 15k race yesterday. Longest run in quite a while. The conditions were pretty good - not much wind, 26° and overcast. I finished 2nd out of 5 women in the 60-64 AG with a 10:32 minute mile. My friend and I stopped to help a woman who had rolled her ankle and wasn't sure she could get back to the start, so that added a few minutes to our time. When we crossed the finish we got a solid chocolate bar from the candy store that was one of the sponsors, some string cheese and a bottle of water. A very unusual combo for post-race food!

I'm hoping Peyton goes out on top but hoping even more that the game isn't a blow--out.  Oh. And a couple of good commercials thrown in there too.

DS#1 and DIL invited us over to watch the game. I was asked to bring dessert. I got ice cream, hot fudge, that wonderful whipped cream that sprays out of the can and some candy toppings for the boys to put on their sundaes. I'm sure their parents will love me

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I hate hearing about so many people dealing with injuries that are preventing them from running.  I know how I feel when I'm dealing with those issues...it stinks.  To be honest, I probably, run through more injuries than I should...I only stop when I just don't feel like I can run with the pain I'm dealing with...I know that, one of these days, it's going to catch up to me.  Right now...the pains are very slight...and for that, I am very grateful.  I hope all of you who are dealing with issues are able to get back to running soon.

I can't imagine what the parents of that little girl are going through...how do you ever get past losing a child...I can't imagine.

I did 6 miles.  I'm ready for some football.

Gotta go!  See ya!

Just saw your post, Jlynne--I'm rooting for Payton, too.

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

My back was still very stiff and sore (could barely bend to put socks on) so I took the day off today.  Last night it was bad enough that I got up at 2am and took a painkiller I had left from my dental work, and will likely take another tonight.  If it is not better tomorrow, I will go to the doctor to have it checked out, although he will probably say, rest, ice, etc.  The bizarre thing is that I don't have any idea what I did.

Of course, if I call off work the day after the Super Bowl, the office will snicker behind my back that I went to a SB party and got schnockered and was too hung over to come in, when in fact, we may be the only people in the country who do not actually watch the Super Bowl......

TomS - be careful there, sounds like you are pushing a little harder than the doctor had in mind.

Well done to the racers, Jlynne, Aamos, Jay, and anyone I missed.

3 more weeks until March!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Somehow I'd missed Holly's post about her back yesterday. Sure hope it's just a muscle strain that will resolve with time and rest. You are right though that that's probably what the doctor will tell you... after an x-ray that is "inconclusive" and maybe even an order for an MRI. Be sure to ask if that will change their diagnosis or treatment recommendation (most MRIs are unnecessary).

I feel about the SB pretty much as RCG does, although if pressed I'd say I want Denver to win. And for no real good reason, really.

Jay's racewalking pace is so impressive. I can't even imagine walking that fast. Hope the stomach issues are just temporary race-related stuff that passes quickly (no, that wasn't meant to be a pun!).

Get better, Henry! Yay for the mostly successful experimental run for Stumpy! Hope Deez gets relief soon! Whew, the master's lineup is showing some wear and tear around here.

So, Aamos ran another marathon and was only 3rd overall but master's champion? We'd expect nothing less!   Good job, especially with wind to deal with.

Chilly run today! But the footing was (a little bit) better. Only needed 11 miles to hit 50 for the week, but wanted more of a "long" run even though the last couple miles were pretty tough. Mile 5 wasn't really that slow, and I went more than 13.2 miles because I stopped on a back road for a dog who was playfully checking me out. Caught her for her owner ("grab her collar, she won't come to me!") and when he came up to us she just cowered. I don't usually like pitbulls, too many bad experiences with them, but this one was small and very sweet with a big "happy dog" smile on her fact. Poor dog, I hope he doesn't "punish" her for getting caught (owners think they're punishing the dog for running away and not listening, the dog sees it as being for getting caught). Anyhow, I thought I'd stopped my watch when dog came up but I didn't, and stopped it when I started running again. Realized it when I got to the next road, and turned it on after swearing a bit. Lost my right spike at about 12 mile mark and had to go back for it. Other than that, just dealing with the snow and cold, got finished and glad to be done. Nice to feel warmth from the sun though, it's really getting stronger!

Holly, did you lift something heavy recently?  Or do yard work?  I put my back out once just lifting my DD out of a chair leaning too far over.  I was flat on my back for almost 2 weeks because of it.  Just a muscle pull plus inflammation sciatica from that one stupid move.  By the time I gave in and went to the doctor, it was better the next day.

My legs were super sore today. I seem to get really sore after workouts these days, and I wonder why.  Should I eat an anti-flammatory diet, and what would that be?  Or am I just not exercising enough and so anything I do hurts?  Or am I just getting old?

Weather looks great for biking into work next week.

Gorgeous sunset right now...wow...

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Hugs to everyone on the DL!  Seems to be a lot of folks right now.

I just went out for an ez 3 miles in the snow - I don't feel too bad after yesterday's epic fat ass, but didn't want to push it, and I got 50 miles for the week.  It's been really windy here, so I had to plow the driveway to move the drifts, even though it hasn't snowed for several days, plus a little shoveling, which I'll count as cross training.

Other than that, just working on taxes today.  I'm not watching that dumb football game.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

an amazing likeness

The Coastwalker at work...

One the most consistent things when I chat with Jay after a race is the number of people who come by and say to him something along the lines of "...wow, you're fast!", or "...you kicked my butt out there!".

(I'd post a course elevation chart, but I'd be probably able to hear the laughter all the way from Colorado...)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.