Masters Running

Sunday Dailies 9.24.17 (Read 28 times)

Starting us off with my 2.1 miles.

Very tired due to the heat yesterday at the music festival.  Learned that I am NOT a music festival person when it is hot and crowded.  Took 2 hours to get 6 miles there and, did I mention, it was very hot.  2 years ago we went to this in its first year.  It was cooler and way fewer people (still plenty) and more country acts.  Yesterday was miserable.  It got a little better once the sun went down some around 5:30.  Food and beer lines were long, portolets ran out of TP and people waited up to an hour to fill water bottles.  Still a pretty venue and we survived.  Will attempt a return today but shortening our day.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Henrun

You're a real trooper to get out there-at my age music festivals are much more sedate and their either jazz or classical.

Sunny warm morning and I got in 5.2 miles slowly mixed with race walking on the Charles.

spacityrunner

Up oh so early for a trail run with friends, sadly there was no beating the heat today.  Oh my it was humid at 7 am.  But got 8.3 miles done and it was hard, hot, sweaty and FUN!  Saw 2 deer and 1 turtle.  I poured some water on the turtle.  I hope he liked it.

Trails Rock!

Marathon Maniac #957

RunnerKSA - I admit that I do not have the fortitude for an event like that.  The heat is one thing, but the crowds would do me in.

Spacityrunner - I am betting the turtle liked it. 

With the forecast for brilliant sun and 91-ish today, I did manage to get up early enough to have some coffee and a snack and get out the door by 6:40, so most of my run was in fairly comfortable temps, although the last hour was a bit tough, especially as that part of the run has little or no shade.  What I did discover was that spicy Indian food is not a good idea for the night before a long run, and I made SIX (!) port-o-potty stops on my run.  Thank goodness they still have them out there about every 2-3 miles along the bike path at this time of year.  In another month they will be gone, and I will have only the McDonald's at mile 6.5 in one direction or the gas station at mile 1 in the other.

21.05 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

coastwalker

Afternoon, everyone.

I took Marj's advice (I always do what Marj says...) and drove to Gloucester, MA this morning for the Lone Gull 10K. I'll post a RR later, but suffice it to say that the race was a challenge for me, more because of a little heat and intense sun with little shade on the course (which is a beautiful coastal course). My Garmin time was 1:09:52 for 6.28 miles, which isn't impressive, but I knew it wouldn't be. Official results haven't been posted online yet. I wish I had done better, but I did as well as I could in the conditions, and I'm glad that I went.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Afternoon, everyone.

I took Marj's advice (I always do what Marj says...)

I wish my DH did likewise  

Ran just under 11 along the Charles - next week's half is going to be a disaster but DD promised to wait for me!

marj

catwhoorg

Labrat

11.6 miles total

Was supposed to be 7 VO2max intervals, but cut the last one short due to my wife needing help with the kids.

(The whole reason we have a TM is for such cases. This is only the 2nd time I have had to cut a workout short)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Afternoon, everyone.

I took Marj's advice (I always do what Marj says...)

...so, if Marj told you to Jump Off A Cliff.........

(hey,

we were ALL thinking it)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Yep, I've never been a music festival kind of guy, either.  Give me the dive bar or jazz club any day.

71 miles on the bike on a rather hilly route. At my pace, that's pretty much the whole morning for me!  It was warm, too; hitting low 90s today.  I rode 10 laps in a state park that I've run in before, part of which features a bike/run path.  It was interesting to experience things from a cyclist's perspective for the first time. Most people were fine but some of those runners were all over the place, ignoring the direction signs on the bike/run paths, running three abreast and taking up the whole path, running with two dogs on leashes heading in opposite directions taking up the whole road.  What is it with you runners?!

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I wish my DH did likewise  

Ran just under 11 along the Charles - next week's half is going to be a disaster but DD promised to wait for me!

marj

You do know he reads this, Right?    Or is that the point?

3.8 miles around the lake this morning.  Not really hot, but boy, was it humid.

Holly--I've learned that lesson with Mexican.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

90-degrees

,,,,40-min RC with trailboots

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps - I try always to run on the edge of the path, to allow plenty of room for bikers and/or runners to pass.

Somehow I was thinking that today was 3 weeks out from my marathon, but only just realized that the race is two weeks from today.  Oops.  I really prefer a 3 week taper, but 2 weeks it shall be. 

Tramps

Tramps - I try always to run on the edge of the path, to allow plenty of room for bikers and/or runners to pass.

I knew you'd be one of the good ones.

Be safe. Be kind.

evanflein

Holly, I just figured you were doing a two weeker like I usually do. Although with Equinox last weekend (wow, was it just last weekend?) that is sort of like giving a three week taper, but today I did kinda long so next week will be like a taper week.

Tramps, that drives me nuts too, but around here it's the walkers who do that stuff. The runners usually are pretty good, IMO, staying to the side for the most part. But yeah, the runners and walkers with the dogs on the really long leashes (retractable, but usually at full length) who seem oblivious to the fact that fido is criss-crossing the path and running up to sniff runners... that really is annoying. Nice ride, by the way. Almost a century!

Mariposai, is that fall run one you are RD for, like Orchards in Bloom? That's a lot of work... Nice job on helping the other runners.

15.3 miles today, mostly in mid-8:20's for pacing until that last mile up the hill where I walked a bit. I think my legs thought it was going to be a half marathon distance today, because when I hit 13 miles it was pretty clear my legs were done. Gets me to 50.2 for the week with a 25.4 mile weekend. That feels like enough.