Masters Running

Thu Feb 28 Runs and Workouts (Read 689 times)

btb1490

Good afternoon all! enke- regarding the faker.... BUSTED! I'm very impressed that you stuck it out that long on the treadmill when you weren't feeling so hot. Takes a lot of mental fortitude to do that! Nicely done! Aamos- variety is good in more ways than one. YOu get a mental break, and it helps keep the body well balanced. What running column do you do? Twocat- thanks! I talked about my run below. Tammy- not you too.... Sad Feel better. SteveP- so the foot is doing better? I'm not gonna go into details about having to handle my mom's estate, but I wholeheartedly agree with you about not putting our loved one's through this. Our experiences sound very similar, and I sympathize with you. I'm now 2 years after my mothers passing, and an issue just came up recently that needs dealing with. Good luck with the house sale. Also, you mentioned a job possibility? Anything to report? I wonder if the rodent trick works on people too. SueT- come work here! We have a lot of animals of the human variety that you could work on. PDR- get to bed early and soak up that rest day tomorrow! Look at the forecast, a warming trend is coming. hally- thanks for the heads up, and dtoce- very cool! Cmom- Colorado sound like the place to be if you want nice weather today! That's terrible about the abductions! Sad I hope they get the person. wildchild- speaking of getting lost, see my run details from today. I'm a recycler too, but one concession I have to live with is wearing clean clothes to work.... most of the time. JJJ- you wearing your skirt to the spa? Felt like 8, 5k pace at the end... I think the word around here for that is sproinky? Stay tuned for my next reminder. Loved your ode to February, thanks for that! My first meeting at work started late and ran long. Don't they always. Looked at my watch, it's 1:30. Next meeting was at 3pm. Let's see, 10 minute drive to the trails, 5 mile run, 10 minute drive back, quick shower and change, bite to eat, plenty of time, out the door I go! The trail loop I had planned was 6 miles long, and everything was going well till the point where I detoured in order to cut the trail short to make it 5 miles. I thought it was going well until I came across another set of footprints in the snow. I stopped and compared the footprints to my own, and lo and behold they were my footprints. I went in circles. Crap. My garmin was at 5 miles already, to double back would make it more like 9 miles, so I used my best boyscout senses and headed off in another direction. You could get lost for hours out in these trails. Trust me, I know. Eventually I got back to someplace familiar and got back to my car. 8 miles. Looked at my watch, it was 2:50pm. Crap again. Flew back to the office and there is everyone waiting for me in the conference room. No time to change, no time to eat. For the next hour I laid out our companies strategy for integrating our computer systems with our customers and vendors in my stinky wet running clothes, and the best part was that nobody batted an eyelash to see me like that, they're used to it by now.
    Teresadfp

One day at a time

btb, LOL!! You had me laughing out loud. I think people expect similar behavior from me now, also. I haven't posted much lately, but I'm still doing OK. This week I did 5.3 TM miles on Sunday, 3.4 hilly miles on Monday, 3.5 flat miles on Tuesday, and 3.3 TM miles today. Tomorrow I'm planning 3.0, and Saturday 7.5 (gulp). I'm aiming for a total of 26 miles. I'm so happy my body is adjusting well to the additional mileage! I never would have believed it. HM, here I come!! Teresa
      SteveP

For the next hour I laid out our companies strategy for integrating our computer systems with our customers and vendors in my stinky wet running clothes, and the best part was that nobody batted an eyelash to see me like that, they're used to it by now.
        It's amazing what people get used to.

SteveP

Tramps

Nice to see Hally pop in. Her message reminded me to track her down and ask a computer question. I’m about to take the plunge on a new desktop. (Thanks Hally!) Oh, and to answer her question, I’ve been so busy I barely can skim the posts on this forum. On Dark Horse, there’s no chance of him getting reactivated for Kosovo is there? Lots going on there since he left. Coincidence? Holly, we’ve talked about this before. I love the cooler temps; for me, heat sucks the speed and energy out of my runs. Bob (btb)—you’ve got some amazingly detailed posts. We should make you forum historian. Fun story today, too. I overslept this morning so I got an easy 5.2 miles in this evening (8:34).

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Gravity is one of the three things in life that causes me fits.
            Mind if I ask what the other two are? Maybe the Joker and the Penguin? Big grin Glad that you get along so well with your step kids. They're lucky to have you in their lives, as are we here in Boomerland! btb, that was a good story. I didn't get quite that lost, and it wouldn't have mattered anyway as I had no meeting to hurry back for. Navigating in the front range of Colorado is relatively easy, as the mountains are to the west, and can be seen from almost anywhere. The trail I thought I was on should have gone north, but I found myself running due west, so I just zig-zagged north again till I found the lake.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Sneaked in a 3 miler after work, it was 57F and sunny, how could I not?? Pace 10:28. Plus I had to make up those 2 miles I scratched last night. Still on track for 52 miles this week, which I think might be a record. You snow bound folks hating winter - if I could find a way to bottle some of this 57F and send it your way...I would.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good luck to the relay team this weekend. Should be some good RRs next week. 3.5 healing miles as some here call it. 24 balmy degrees and some sun for the second day in a row. Just makes for a sproinkier run, Don't you think? btb thanks for the support. I now can use your posts for a review as I type mine instead of going back and forth. I hope to start making all my runs more meaningful this year. I have run so many base building miles at "whatever feels good that day pace" that I think maybe a plan for some days of the week will be good for me. I am using Higdons intermediate plan and he recommends MP runs the day before long runs so that is what I will try for now anyway. I really am unsure of my MP at this time but am using a mcmillan calculator based on my recent 10k race it has it at 8:50 pace. My plan for my 1st marathon is to just finish but I know me and I have to be careful with my ego. Good runs everyone

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

GreenMan

.... JJJ- you wearing your skirt to the spa? ......
                  Yep, about anywhere I'm not on business. Spa, grocery store, Didn't get a wink even when I stopped at a truck stop for something. Big grin Testing various MUGs or lack there of. jjj
                  Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                  dg.

dg- what are we gonna do with you?
                    throw me off the bridge again? Aaaaamos. hi -). where is your running column? Tammy, get better! Stevep, good luck with the job. good news re mom's cat & dd3's ex. good job, Dad. pdr, enjoy your rest day. I intended to run this morning & was putting my shoes on and thinking.. pretty talented. sometimes I have reoccurences of the symptoms I had last winter, & had been doing so all morning, I was hoping the run would be ok, & then I realized, just how stupid can you be? do you ever amaze yourself? wonder how things are in Arizona. got to go read Soundie's list at leisure.
                    SteveP

Mind if I ask what the other two are?
                      Numbers and egos. Oncew we can deal with those three, everything else is a piece of cake......mmmm...cake.

SteveP

Yep, about anywhere I'm not on business. Spa, grocery store, Didn't get a wink even when I stopped at a truck stop for something. Big grin Testing various MUGs or lack there of. jjj
                        JJJesse, so tell us more about the MUGs.... Good evening all! I have been too ashamed to post this week because it's like summer here. Plus I am tapering and youse guys don't need to hear all that insanity. Just gimme some girlscout cookies and no one will get hurt. Tetsujin, thank you for your kindness and advice, which I will follow. I appreciate your thoughtfulness very much. I feel very good today, thanks to my personal trainer helping me out yesterday and today.

GreenMan

Well Cotton is ok compress is good but nothing's better than nothing Oh, it's just a saying Big grin jjj
                          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.

Manchild

I ran for the first time since Monday. Treadmill run of 4.6 miles at 1.5 % incline. 142 HR and felt great after the two rest days. Plan to run like 5 tomorrow to better last month's mileage total! Signed up for Vermont on Tuesday, anybody going to Burlington in May!? Chris
                              i'm with everyone who is tired of February - don't know why the shortest month of the year always feels like the longest to me!! went to the gym this morning after work..........took a 10/15 minute nap in the parking lot then went in and did 5 miles on the treadmill.............slept lousy today unfortunately so i'm a little draggy here at work but after tonight i have 3 nights off!! happy almost friday!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #3309

btb - that sounds so cool, going into work in your running clothes! Yes, my little faker is going to school today. She suddenly got better last night when my son went outside to ride his bike - she went out too, riding around. I'll say though that she did have a bit of a limp at times while outside playing, but nothing to indicate she needed to crawl or be carried everywhere in the house all day yesterday. Roll eyes I did 10 out of a planned 12 on the TM last night. It was yuck from start to finish. The first mile my ipod armband was scratching my arm, like little needles poking me. The rest of the time I felt like I weighed 1000 pounds, half of that being compressed gas. Embarrassed Sorry, TMI, but it certainly made the whole run uncomfortable. Tim - glad to hear you had a great run. Go relay racers!!
                                10 miles on the treadmill....I'm in awe of you!!! 1000 pounds or not, lol Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!