Masters Running

The Time Has Come (Read 577 times)

Slo

To say good bye.

I've debated long and hard about posting the following here. The Masters Thread is such an uplifting place I don't want to tbe the guy posting some kind of downer.

But.......

I'm posting this to ask that you take a little time and join your prayers with those of my family.

My Dad has been battling brain cancer. He was diagnosed with a giloblastoma stage 4 tumor back in October of 2008. He had surgery at that time and the prognosis was 12 -14 months. Fast forward 20 months and we feel very fortunate to have had the extra time.

He's under gone radiation and chemo treatments. He had maintained a very long term outlook and continued to work on his health. When he could no longer ride his bike he walked. On June 15th, after his last MRI it was decided that his course of treatment would be discontinued. We were told we could expect a rapid decline in speech and motor skills. Our last very Schmitty weekend was over Fathers Day.

During the last 20 months I feel like we have been given a gift. We have shared so many laughs....a few tears...but we really made a lot of memories in those months. We were already a close family...this has only brought us closer.

Today he is at home under hospice care. He is unable to communicate, has lost most all motor skills on his right side and is sleeping 20+ hours /day. We have been taking turns staying at home. It takes two of us to move him...and as long as he wants to, we'll get him from his bed to the kitchen.

The out pouring from my small home town has been unbelievable........we could set up and feed a marathon finish. There has been a constant stream of vistors and each one has been greeted with a big smile.

There are signs that his body is being to anesthetize itself. The aspiration, sleep apnea....etc.

We are praying that his remaining time is comfortable, peaceful and that he understands that he has truely left a legacy. We are also praying for Mom....that she continues to be as stong as she has and that she too can find comfort.

I thank you in advance for you sympathy and condolences. Your prayers a greatly appreciated.

Steve

Spring Hike

Grand Marshalls.....June 19th

evanflein

You've had some extra time with your dad, which is truly a gift. I'm sure your dad feels loved and cared for, and can go in peace. Hugs, prayers and comfort to you, your mom and your entire family. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures of your dad. He looks like a truly special guy.

Marathon Maniac #957

Oh, Steve - Absolutely I will send out some prayers for your dad and for you and your family.  Thank you for sharing this, and don't feel like you are posting a downer.  This is what life is about, family, love, and eventually, loss...hugs and comfort to all of you...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your dad, your mom, and the rest of the family during this trying time.  You've done all that is possible to make the last 20 months as meaningful as possible.  The support of your town is fantastic and a testament to the type of person your father is and the life he has lived.  Take comfort in your memories and your family.

TomS

Don't ever hesitate to post these kinds of things here.  I like to think we are all Friends (or more!) even if we haven't actually met.

Prayers and thoughts go out to you, your Dad, and your family.  Every day is a Blessing.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

coastwalker

Hi Steve,

Cancer can be such a nasty disease to deal with, yet you, your family, and apparently your town have helped your dad deal with his with grace, dignity, and love. I have no doubt that what has made the extra time you've had with your dad such a gift is the love for him that you've felt and shown during that time. Your dad and your mom are very lucky to have you in their lives. I wish you all the strength to work through the remaining time you have with your dad, and to fill the void he will leave behind.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

SteveP

Slo_Hand

You, your friends and family our in our houshold's prayers. Though it may be 40 years or so before your see your father in perfect health, he'll be well (as will you) for an eternity.

Personally, I hope your departure from this forum is short.

SteveP

SteveP

...slo//.......My Mom passed away this March, I know the feeling.....

Our Prayers are with you.

but don't feel like you have to quit posting, sometimes it helps........

Strength and Peace to Your Heart.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

((Steve))   your post was a far cry from a "downer"  .... i found it very beautiful, compassionate and inspiring. It sounds like  you and your family have truly lived life to its fullest especially these last 20 months and your dad will live forever in your hearts and your precious memories.  I love the shirts your parents were wearing as grand marshalls - how wonderful........if only we could all live every day with faith, hope and love.   I will certainly keep you all in my prayers as you continue on this journey.  xo

denise

Renee the dog

{{{Slo}}}

It's never easy to say goodbye.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

A Saucy Wench

I'm so sorry Steve, even when you know it is coming, it is impossible to be fully prepared to say goodbye.  I am so glad you had that time to share with him. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A fitting memoir.  May your strength match your compassion.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve -

What a deeply moving tribute that was, . . . to both of you

What a lucky guy, . . . both of you

God bless you all.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Steve,

There are no words....be strong, grow from the experience and keep your father with you in your deeds and pass his legacy to your family.  Take care and God bless.

Karl

Thank you for allowing us to share in your family's life. It does you and all of us good to talk and to hear of such wonderful full lives . Good luck to you and yours at this time in your lives.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down