Masters Running

Tuesday, 8.9.16 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Pretty scary situation, Leslie. Good for you for trying to organize the neighbors to get that nasty stuff out of your neighborhood.

Congrats on your mini-streak, Tammy. Keep up the easy and steady work.

Welcome back, Slo. Sounds like you had a great time on your vacation.

Sorry about your sore foot (and your flat tires), Evanflein. Good for you for trying to find other ways to be out there and active.

X-Trackster - OUCH! Good luck healing up that shoulder quickly. And stop diving into puddles - If you want to dive, go to a pool.

Holly, efficiency consultants are usually anything but. Sorry you had to waste your time with one. But I'm glad that DD gave you an excuse to leave early, and that her hand isn't as bad as you feared.

Good for you for being out there, Henry, and also for not giving up your wine! Have a good time in the other Hampton.

That's a lot of paddling and running, Larry. I'm sorry the old Huffy left you huffing and puffing. Seems like it's time for a trade-up.

I'm glad that DD and DSIL2B went with you to work at the Silverheels 100, WC. Sounds like you all did a great job, and had a good time. Nice run on Sunday too.

Nice work on the 18-miler, Twocat. I'm glad you had good weather for it.

Good luck at the blood test, Dave. I also hope you don't start to pass out again.

Post those pics, Tet!

We had a terrific time at the Lyle Lovett concert in Freeport (ME) on Saturday. I never saw so many lawn chairs in one place! Someone estimated a crowd of 3-4,000 people. It was a great concert on a beautiful night. On Sunday morning, I went for a 8-mi RW workout, and there was nothing but hills, which made this flatlander work his little butt off. The guy at the B&B where we stayed was concerned that I was going to get hit by a car on roads with no sidewalks. Nah. Just about every driver gave me extra room when they saw me (or were scared and wanted to get away from me).

I took yesterday off (SRD), but went out for 8.3 RW miles this morning in 63F temps and a pleasant dew point. It was a good workout, but it sure was dark when I started at J o'clock!

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Hang in there Henry; sounds as if you have a good perspective.  Ou ok Mike?

Did Lyle sing the Penguins song, Jay?

Ouch!  XC.

Thinking of you deez.   ANd here's this: so DH went to his doctor yesterday, who said it's probably part virus and part bacterial, prescribed 2 sets of pills, looks like one is a steroid, AND a cough syrup with hydrocodone in it.  Really???

Halloo Tammy, Leslie, Slo, Erika.    Leslie, whoa, that's close.  Good luck with your efforts to work on the problem..

Holly, I HATE that kind of c*@& at work.  It makes me anti-team, or whatever.  Yecch.  Glad DD is ok with the hand.

Nice Carolyn,  volunteering at  Silverheels.  One of our Speedsters just did a Burning something in Ohio this past weekend that was 100 miles.  Another of our crew went up to support him, and it was a good thing, as Cortland was shivering, without lights, and pretty tuckered at mile 87.  Chuck bolstered him and got him going so he finished.  Beauty of friendship and runners helping runners.  They really only know each other from our little group; Chuck only moved here a year ago or so.  Flew up to Ohio on his own dime to help.  We're good people, ain't we?

I've just got to adjust to being slower now that into my 60s.  8.35 this am, felt good at least!  A little overcast so nice running.  If slow.

What do you all think about Lilly King?  I ask as when T&F starts, I'm rooting for Justin Gatlin, the sprinter (w/ some grey in his hair now), who did his suspension time for a hot test he protested in vain.  I love her teen age certitude and positivity, just feeling a little wizened I guess.  And once a PD, always a PD. 

Speaking of Speedsters (I was), I've been playing hooky, first due to the conventions and now due to the Olympics.  O, maybe there's the correlation with my slowing down???

I'm an eejit.  grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Dave59

I survived the blood test this morning. I showed up when the lab opened and I was the only one there so they let me sit in the recliner and relax.

Then I headed to the park for 3 easy miles of mostly walking.

lamerunner

Good morning.  Good to see some more folks popping out of the woodwork-Henrun, Xtrack, Tammy. Sorry again for all our aches and pains. Beautiful morning here. Upper 50s, dry. . I ventured out for about 6, most on trails, and my knee survived. I iced it afterwards. I wish I could have gotten an appointment sooner than September 6; the worn out brace thing is annoying. I mixed it up on the weekend; ran about 8 on a soft rail trail Saturday, plus swam 3/4 mile. Sunday I biked a couple of hours, about 28 miles.  We stayed in a B and B in Freedom, NH along with my SIL and BIL--the younger generations occupied the lake house. Freedom is just a few miles from the Maine border, so I biked into Maine. Yesterday was just yoga and a walk in the evening. I am not sure I will be able to run tomorrow; we shall see what the old knee says. I have only been able to get out maybe 3x a week.

I have watched a little Olympics; I wish the good stuff (to me) was on earlier.  From Stowe I can get CBC, which often has better coverage than U.S. stations, but last night they were featuring rugby and volleyball, so I switched back to U.S. station.

I enjoyed the stories about baby teeth. My DH is into them. In fact, he had earrings made for me with kids' baby teeth. I haven't worn them much and may have used them at a family Yankee swap one Christmas... I don't recommend that form of jewelry gift.

Happy Tuesday!

Jewelry out of baby teeth??  Not sure I would wear those much either, 'lessn' it was to a hoedown of the type Slo goes to. 

Don't know where the Portland thread is (read: I've been too lazy to dig for it), but looks like The Hub is going to come with me.  If room is an issue, we can bring a blow up mattress.  He wants to visit some friends who live north Portland, and I want him to get out of town and relax, even if only for a few days.

Carolyn - I always have so much fun volunteering at trail runs, especially working at aid stations.  Giving back to a fantastic community.

When I worked for my previous boss, we had someone come in and do a seminar (for 4 of us) about how to be more efficient.  Craziness since the only person who had problems with being efficient was my boss!  I don't know how much money she paid that woman, but nothing changed.

Dave - Glad the blood work went well.

I slept terrible last night.  I slept in.  I didn't workout.  And that's that.

Have a great day ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jewelry out of baby teeth??

! ! However, I've seen fish teeth necklaces, bracelets, etc. before

It looked like a blessed taper day, . . . until DD wondered if I could take GS and two friends

to the Fieldhouse for three hours.  There's a walking/jogging course around the upper perimeter

plus lots of chairs, benches and other sitting opportunities.

We'll see.

ps marj - I liked the Olympic vs the world comparisions.

ps robin - gs liked your son's RW

pps ads - I don't mind them a bit but, with all the mention of knees herein,

one of the pop-up ads I get keeps featuring them.

Free Knee Pain Relief Kit
              Get Free Info On Osteoarthritis Knee Pain Treatment Today
              Just take 60 seconds to fill out the form below
              and get your Free Knee Pain Information Kit.
              Have you ever been diagnosed with osteoarthritis of the knee?
              . . Yes
              . . No
              What kind of doctor do you see for your knee pain?
              Which of the following treatments have you received
              or are you currently receiving for your knee pain?
              (Please check all that apply)
              . . . Synvisc-One® (one injection)
              . . . SYNVISC® (hylan G-F 20, three injections)
              . . . Hyalgan®,
              . . . Supartz®,
              . . . Orthovisc®,
              . . . Gel One® or
              . . . Euflexxa®Steroid injection
              . . . None of the above
              Do you have a doctor’s appointment about your knee pain in the next 30 days?
              . . Yes
              . . No
              Get The Kit

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

when I worked for a firm up in Seattle, we would do those all day - off site - team building exercises. While it was nice to get out of the office for the day, and essentially play games, I never saw any dramatic shift in office dynamics. We just basically got a reprieve from working files for the day, and a free lunch.  I prefer what my office does now - we are a split office, with each office serving a different county, so once a year we close down and have an office bowling tournament and then in the summer time, we shut down for the day and hit the river for either rafting or the jetboat lunch cruise. No team building exercises, just some fun and of course alcohol. and that my friends, makes certain co-workers far more tolerable than any team building yahoo-ness. Wink 

ran 3 miles last night in about 80 degrees. Normally, we are in 100's, so this has been a very easy summer so far! only a couple days where we were in 100's, and no wildfires smoking us out.

Tammy

Hi All,

Leslie, wow that is scary.  Hope you can do something about the neighbours.

Jay - Lyle Lovett concert sounds really nice.

Yesterday my quads were absolutely killing me from the trail race (with steep downhill) on Saturday.  I could barely get up off the couch and walk down any grade.  Today they are much better, so I hope to get out there for an easy, flat run.  Gotta start thinking about Portland, and getting some longer runs and tempo runs in.

I checked the race results, and I came in 3/7 in the F50-59 age group, not that there were any age groups, in this small race.  However, a 61 year old woman handily beat me, like by 30 minutes, so it is more like 4/8, right?

I am tempted to go away Friday to Sunday, by myself.  It's going to be sunny and warm.  My son did a lot of kayaking on the weekend on a smaller lake near the cabin, now I am thinking I'd like to do that too.  Pack a lunch, and paddle around the lake for a few hours.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

We're back from a great  family reunion extended weekend.  Now to catch up and get back in the normal routine.  stumpy, I like the shutters.  Starr, continued best wishes for MrStarr.  Twocat, bummer about the sinus issues and good racing under the circumstances.  Aamos, I hope your husband's cold and cough are improving.  Holly, sorry to hear about your daughter's broken finger but glad it isn't worse.  jlynne, neat breakfast with the grandkids.  tet, even though the tooth saga sounds funny, I don't suppose it felt that way when it was happening.  Dave, it's good to get in grandkid time.  evan, nice half.  enke, good racing.  deez, continued hoping for your son to get help with his problems.  fatozzig, what a scary thing to happen in your neighborhood.  XT, bummer about the shoulder.  I hope it heals soon.  hallar, it sounds like a fun time in Port Austin.  It's a neat little town.  The farmer's market is good and I do an annual 8K race there.

Nice long runs for Aamos, mari, DrRobin, Hallar, and Twocat.

While in Ludington, I got in one 2 mile run at a 12:00 pace.  This morning, I woke up tired, achy, and lacking in desire.  It was in the mid 60s, humid, and there was a light wind.  I decided to drag myself out and try for at least 3 mile.  I ended up doing 4.  I thought I was running slower than usual and it felt hard.  Therefore, I was surprised at the end to find my pace was 10:54,

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

. . . . just some fun and of course alcohol. and that my friends, makes certain co-workers far more tolerable than any team building yahoo-ness. Wink 

Enke - Your idea to get away by yourself, etc., sounds wonderful.  And massage those legs.  It'll help with the achiness.

Nice run, Tselbs!  It's always fun when we surprise ourselves like that.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

..fatozzig//.......that was scary yesterday, glad  you're ok......

.....tet//..........yep, BigBrother is monitoring our Medical Info,

when

you see

''The Frontal Lobotomy Kit'' please let me know.........

it's so hard

to buy Christmas Gifts for family anymore

===========

..but I digress......

low 90s today,

2-hours FlyFishing caught 6

and

40-min PoolRun nb, cf, ris

..............good running guys........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

..fatozzig//.......that was scary yesterday, glad  you're ok......

.....tet//..........yep, BigBrother is monitoring our Medical Info,

when

you see

it's so hard

===========

..but I digress......

low 90s today,

2-hours FlyFishing caught 6

and

40-min PoolRun nb, cf, ris

..............good running guys........

So waht are you catching?  Do you have trout that far south?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

when

you see

it's so hard

LOVE Tom's posts - they always bring a laugh or two.

It's no wonder you didn't sleep well last night Leslie. Kind of un-nerving, all of the things going on around your house...

Welcome back from the family reunion Tom, and welcome back Slo and Dave. Glad your blood test went well, and Slo, you don't have to wait another month before you post again. Your FB pictures were really good, by the way!

I'm with you on the wine thing, Henry. Glad to see you're still getting out there and doing what you can.

Thanks again for the great recap Jay. In case anyone hasn't told you (like 10 times), we miss you when you're gone.

And Aamos complaining about being slow? Really? Give me a break! I thought Lilly King was spot on. And wow, can that young lady swim!

The heat and humidity is back. Ran a slow 3 miles this morning, then played 18 holes of golf. I can't string two good nines together lately. I shot a 51 on the front, then a 60 on the back. I was really tired today. I woke up at 1:30 last night and then couldn't fall back to sleep. Still up at 3:00 AM watching Frasier re-runs. I refuse to take sleeping aids because I always feel like a zombie the next day, but this has been going on for over a month now and I'm tired of being tired...

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

his website is under heavy load

We're sorry, too many people are accessing this website at the same time. We're working on this problem. Please try again later.

Whew, it’s a good thing I opted for the sitting at the Field House.
                              GS wants to take his two other 7-yo for a four mile afternoon
                              walk to the Glacier Visitor’s Center, . . and they want to go, . .
                              and DS says it’s okay for me to take them!. . . .
                              pssst stumps - trout would be nice but it’s neither trout fishing
                              nor fly fishing, . . . .it’s fly fishing!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

No team building exercises, just some fun and of course alcohol. and that my friends, makes certain co-workers far more tolerable than any team building yahoo-ness. Wink 

Absolutely, although I make a point of not drinking with people I work with for the most point. Same with FB... I don't like to "friend" people I work with. Gotta have those lines, right? But I couldn't agree more on the team building crap, so call me not a "team player." I've got work to do.

Jlynne, sorry about the sleepless nights. Definitely avoid the sleep aids though. There's been enough published about them doing more harm than good, and many just plain don't work.

Yeah, that Amy has gotten so slow. I just don't know about her anymore.... 

I keep saying that one of these years I'm going to not race at all, or at least not locally, and volunteer at all the races. This probably would've been a good year to do that, but I didn't figure that out until too late.

So... no run yesterday, just a walk around campus (hey, there are three goats behind our museum! I had no idea!). Foot was very sore yesterday, somewhat better today but still painful and I think I've self-diagnosed a case of tendinopathy (ie. tendinitis in the foot) which explains the ache in my ankle as well. The alternative was a metatarsal stress fracture and I really don't think it's that. I also really don't feel like plunking down another $500 to get a diagnosis of what I think I already know. So, to the gym with me today, along with DH. If there's a silver lining to any of this, it's getting back to the gym together! 20 minutes on the elliptical which almost killed me, than 10 minutes of various free weights work like overhead press, bicep curls, tricep press, double arm rows, squats... that kind of thing. I can't believe I used to do this stuff for 1 to 2 hours a visit, 4 to 5 times a week!