Masters Running

Leftovers Friday, 11.29.19 (Read 41 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Starr, I'm also very sorry for the issues you are having to deal with. Like anneb, I hope you have a good local support network that you can lean on.

I'm amazed and impressed that so many people got out for runs, walks, and turkey trots yesterday. Kudos to Joe for doing a two-fer!

I hope David is feeling better today, Tammy. Being sick is never fun, and it is even more (less?) so on a holiday.

I wonder what C-R's "life changes" news is??

Great job of helping to serve Thanksgiving dinners to so many at Lambeau Field, Jlynne. That's a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Great photos, Joe and KSA.

Sorry Maggie kept you home, Stumpy. I hope DW brought back a goodie-plate for you.

Fatozzig, you and your DH had a different but great Thanksgiving. Happy hunting on the beach today.

Our dinner was great yesterday, except for the new stuffing recipe I followed this year. It wasn't what I hoped for, but I think I know what adjustments to make to give it better flavor and texture next time. It wasn't terrible, it just didn't meet my expectations. After our late afternoon dinner, we spent the evening in front of a fire with glasses of wine, an occasional nibble of dessert, and good reading material. It was a nice end to a terrific day.

Since our office is close today, I took advantage and didn't head out for a workout till it was just light enough to be able to go without a headlamp (6:00). I went 6.5 RW miles in 30° temps, starting off easy, and gradually ramping up my pace as I went along. It was a nice start to a busy day, with a Trader Joe's run, then splitting and stacking more firewood from a recently-fallen tree that got cut up last week.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Joe618

Good morning, Masters Runners!!   Jay, thanks for the start.    I'm interested in your preferred methods of wood splitting...what kind of maul and wedge combos you find useful. 

Tom, glad you made it out of the Cement Mixer to sleep in your own bed!!  Great description!!  Ugh!!

Relaxing day here...heading out to breakfast in a few minutes with DS3 who is here from Des Moines.    He's the former Army officer now a HS history teacher who is also very erudite on most topics of baseball.   We have plenty to discuss.    Will get ab work done later.

Enjoy your Friday, whatever color it might be!!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

dnaff

Good morning all.

Yesterday's scratchy throat is now a full blown head cold.  In the interest of self-care I ate pie for breakfast and will stay in my pajamas all day.  I have a stack of books and a mug of hot tea.  Please go run some miles for me.

Joe618

I have a stack of books and a mug of hot tea.  Please go run some miles for me.

Sounds like a perfect plan, Dawn...will do!!! 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.

Starr--I'm with others hoping you have IRL local support, too.

dnaff--yuck. Feel better.

Okay - I was raised by folks who grew up in West Virginia, so "Dinner "is lunch and "Supper" is dinner, so we always have the meal at roughly 1pm.  deal with it- that's how we  roll  in the "somewhat south"...

I suspect it's a class thing more than a regional thing (but maybe not?). I grew up in NH with breakfast, dinner, and supper, too.

A beautiful day here after a ridiculously blowy day yesterday. Amazingly, we didn't have any power outage (knock on wood). Out for 20 miles cycling, probably with some holiday decorating this afternoon. Dec 1st on Sunday? Really!?

Be safe. Be kind.

We had a good Thanksgiving dinner, although a bit delayed (is 4:30PM an acceptable time to call it "dinner" Erika?). After years of cooking the turkey with no particular timing problems -- done early if anything -- in the last two years we've had a problem with the bird not coming to temperature until well over an hour past our worst-case cooking time estimates. Both of us being engineers, we're trying to analyze what if anything has changed from previous years. Same roasting pan, same oven, same prep, etc. , still no conclusions.

Yesterday's turkey trot actually has a "Run-Eat-Run" option where I could have run the same course this morning for an additional fee. So they ran the same entire slate of distances from 2-miler to HM, with a special medal and swag for those who were up to the challenge. I didn't sign up for it, but felt like I could easily have done it. Maybe a chance to see what adding a couple pounds does to my time? 

I hope that David and Dawn get to feeling better soon.But hot tea and a good book actually sounds good to me too about now...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Joe618

We had a good Thanksgiving dinner, although a bit delayed (is 4:30PM an acceptable time to call it "dinner" Erika?). After years of cooking the turkey with no particular timing problems -- done early if anything -- in the last two years we've had a problem with the bird not coming to temperature until well over an hour past our worst-case cooking time estimates. Both of us being engineers, we're trying to analyze what if anything has changed from previous years. Same roasting pan, same oven, same prep, etc. , still no conclusions.

Yesterday's turkey trot actually has a "Run-Eat-Run" option where I could have run the same course this morning for an additional fee. So they ran the same entire slate of distances from 2-miler to HM, with a special medal and swag for those who were up to the challenge. I didn't sign up for it, but felt like I could easily have done it. Maybe a chance to see what adding a couple pounds does to my time? 

I hope that David and Dawn get to feeling better soon.But hot tea and a good book actually sounds good to me too about now...

Yeah, I'm an engineer too...wonder if the bird was more dense?  Or not fully thawed?  Or if the space-time continuum had warped causing thermodynamic imbalance around the gizzard ligaments?? 

I'm kinda intrigued by the Black Friday repeat of the Turkey Trot event...I look at things from an RD's perspective and that means a second early morning, second set up, second set of volunteers, a second cold morning.   Any idea how many they have for the second event? 

I celebrated Black Friday just now by taking discounts emailed to me this week and using them to sign up for two marathons and an ultra I would have run anyway in 2020.    But now I have spent less.      I'm pleased with how the winter race calendar is falling out.

Rock on, folks. 

________

Love your dinner table photo, Joe.  Glad your family could be together.    Sorry for the illnesses, Denise and young David.  It's that time of year, unfortunately.

Ken decided this would be a good day to have all our carpets cleaned.  I mean- there is never a GOOD time to uproot your entire house, move everything, lock up the animals and have soaking wet carpets (even with ChemDry) for a day or so.  We have a lot of hardwood, so there are some areas that are OK.   So- that happened this morning.  Of course, the guy's truck blocked my truck in so I decided not to go to the path.  I finally pried myself out the door and got 4.5 miles done.  It's gloomy out there today.   

I've done some online shopping, but I'm already tired of all the ads and emails.  It's just all so MUCH!!!  (and I'm sort of the heavy half in terms of purchasing habits, as they say in marketing class.)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

...w0w..........there's only 3-other things

better

than that First Work-Out after you've had to miss-

1-the first day you get well after a Bad Cold or Flu

2-a Good Night's Sleep in your own bed

and

I think the other one is illegal in Missouri

=========

40s, bitter wind

...60-min RC at soccerfields..

hit

my Old Running Cadence (although I can't Run anymore)

and

Everything just clicked into place................YOWZA////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

Morning all!  
                      I really want pumpkin pie for breakfast, but I'm trying to be good today. Will get out for a run later when it warms up some. For now though I'm actually working - from home, but still working. it's a contract job though so it's extra money for me. 

No black friday shopping for me although I did order David's apple airpods he wants last night, so I guess that's sort of BF shopping.  I noticed on Amazon the price dropped last night. so I debated on whether or not to pull the plug then or wait to see if it dropped more today. Well, this morning the price actually increased to more than it was when the price dropped last night. BF is such a racket. Glad I ordered them last night. 

okay, back to work!

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Wow, so interesting about "lunch" and "dinner."

Maybe growing up in Alaska-land too, I never heard of lunch then, or even to this day, referred to as dinner and, except for some movies and Dickens' novels, I don't think I've ever been around anyone my entire life who has used the word "supper" for anything so, if I'm ever at a masters' reunion with any supper people, I can hardly wait to go to "dinner" at 12pm noon, . . . and then call and tell my sister about it!  Do the "supper" restaurants have "dinner" and "supper" menus instead of the "lunch" menu and separate "dinner" menus out here in the PNW?

As for Thanksgiving, the Thanksgiving dinner was always timed for about the same as Roch's 4:30pm and always just called "Thanksgiving" dinner.  Somehow, Thanksgiving "supper" sounds kind of skimpy.

Easy miler around the 'hood checking out the post-Thanksgiving lighting but no increase the half-dozen that've already been on display since after Halloween and the one I like down by the lake with all-night-long carols hasn't hooked up to the audio yet. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, slept in a bit and got out for a run late in the morning.  Overcast, light wind, temps in upper 40s/lower 50s.  Good long run weather so I got 11.5 in the 'hood.  Then took DW's pups for a walk/jog.

For those interested, the mini chocolate chips in the pumpkin pie worked well flavor-wise.  They did settle at the bottom so maybe the answer is half in at the outset, sprinkle more as the custard is setting.

Growing up in Pittsburgh, there was breakfast, lunch and dinner (very rarely called supper).  Moving to Birmingham, AL I had to learn about breakfast, lunch/dinner and dinner/supper.  I settled on a strategy of just considering the time of day and not worrying about what it was called.

Roch/Joe, also an engineer....and a lot (too much?) time in maintenance management......possible you've got a faulty thermocouple and the oven wasn't actually at the temperature it was indicating?

Joe, preparing a short presentation for our wing's leadership team.  About the importance of allowing subordinates to try their ideas, especially in adverse conditions, and trusting them.  The vehicle I'm going to use is the ideas that came from the field during the hedgerow fighting in Normandy in '44.

Dnaff, I hope you feel better quickly!

Coast, thanks for the start.  I sometimes experiment with my stuffing recipe.  Sausage wasn't too bad (still don't do it very often).  Adding sautéed diced Granny Smith apple was not a good add.  This year I kept it simple: bread (more to follow), onion, celery, egg/milk, poultry seasoning, sage, salt and pepper.  Two types of bread, a Tuscan boulle and Chicago style Italian from our grocery store.  Came out pretty good.

Tramps, hope it was a good ride!

RunnerKSA, hopefully the carpet will dry quickly.

Tom, congrats on a great run!

Tammy, good for you not going after the pie.

Have a greta day everyone!

Henrun

Growing up in Toronto we were very British and the evening meal was supper. Lunch may have been dinner but I can’t remember..

Another sunny windy day and, after morning errands, I went out for a 3.5 mile run with a tailwind turnaround.

Might be getting a significant snow Sunday night. So. Will try to get as many dry runs and walks in till then.

bioguy

2 dog walks then a slow 3 miler.

Tailwinds!

In a "life is precious" moment, my wonderful employee messaged me to tell me that her niece (young adult with 3 young kids) was murdered in Missouri last night.  She did not know the assailant and he had killed an unrelated male before he shot her while she was in her car.  He turned himself in at the police station and said that he had just killed two people.  My employee is heading up there.  Her brother (the father of the deceased woman) is a police officer and 4 officers came to his door last night to tell him.    Just horrific.

Carpet is drying pretty well and we are hoping the animals won't misbehave and we won't have to do this for awhile! 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth