Masters Running

Halloween Eve Sunday, 10/30 (Read 31 times)

Ok, it's almost noon (Central Time) and no one has started the daily yet? What, is everyone waiting for Jay to finish his half marathon?

I'll take on this challenge, but don't expect any recaps! Except for the great pictures Steve posted yesterday. What a great Grandpa you are! And I loved all of the Batman costumes!

Well, the World Series is close, there's less than two weeks until the election is over (yay!), and I've carved pumpkins and loaded up on candy for all of the trick-or-treaters tomorrow. I ran a 10k Spooky Sprint yesterday with a good friend from the Y. I'm going to whine and complain just one more time about being dumped into a 60 and over category. Do they think people age 60 and over just aren't competitive and don't care about their times any more? Anyway, there were 4 women in our age group. My friend sprinted ahead at the finish to take first place, and I took second with a time of 1:01:55.  It was a great morning with mild temps around 45° and not much wind. We didn't stick around for the awards ceremony, and they gave trophies for the first 3 finishers in each AG. Oh well...  Finished the morning with a trip to the last outdoor farmer's market of the season and loaded up on squash, carrots, beets, Brussels sprouts and onions.

5.5 miles this morning with 20 minutes of core work. I've challenged my two sons to a chili cook-off today. They're each bringing their secret recipe and we'll all vote on the best. I'll let you know who wins

Have a great Sunday everyone!

Marathon Maniac #957

Jlynne - you are a busy woman!  Congrats on 2nd Ag in your 10K!

Steve - love the pics from yesterday!

Tet - you still have that fishhook in your leg?  Doesn't it hurt like the dickens?

16.1 miles for me today in a breezy and sunny 62 degrees.

This makes 40 miles for me this week, the first week I have hit 40 miles since 5/16/16 - yay!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Nice going on the 10K Jlynne. Congrats on the 2AG.

Way to go Holly, I know what it means to get back to that 40 miles per week goal. Welcome back.

SteveP, those were some great pictures from yesterday's daily.

Yesterday at race start it was 72 & muggy. By the finish it was upper 70s, still muggy, and a strong southerly breeze. Contrast that with today; 52 degrees and a strong north wind. Ah, fall is back. The cool temps made for a sproinky, faster paced 5 miles than I expected the day after a hard race. Felt greta.

Have a good week.

Paul

Congrats on the AG Jlynne!!

Holly - that's a great mileage week!!

Steve's pictures yesterday were adorable!!

12.6  miles on the Minuteman Historic Trail today with a friend. It was a challenging long run with changes in terrain, elevation and the CC kids who liked to run 3-4 abreast and take the whole trail!! The cub scouts were very cute and their leaders taught them about moving over to take up only one side of the trail!! This run put me at 100 for the month- first time in ages!! Feeling good and praying it lasts!!

Have a wonderful Sunday my friends!! Go Patriots!!

denise

Marathon Maniac #957

Paul - nice racing yesterday!

Deez - nice month!

Okay, I did it - I registered for the Phoenix Marathon on 2/25/17.  Now to figure out the rest of the details....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

pfriese

Hmmm. I was planning on the Cowtown Marathon in Ft. Worth at the end of February. After looking at the Phoenix Marathon website I'm reconsidering. Looks like a good course and we can usually get cheap direct flight there on Southwest. Guess I need to decide by the 4th.

Paul

evanflein

Paul, I think the price goes up by $10 on Tuesday... This will be a fun gathering at the rate it's going! Sorry Nancy can't join us, but she has a very good reason. Carolyn, I didn't think this race would appeal to you but it sure would be fun to see you guys!

Holly, yay on the 40 mile week! How did your 16 mile run feel today? Are you going to keep up the swimming? Any thoughts of a tri in your future?

Steve, the baby doll was a little disturbing, but great pictures and fun day with the Gk's! We don't get any trick-or-treaters here, or at least we usually don't. No young kids around here and our houses are apparently too far apart to make it worthwhile.

Yay Deez on getting back to regular running! Like the 40 mpw goal, crossing the 100 mpm line feels so good when you've been out of action.

Jlynne, were they 10 year age groups up to 60, then it was 60+? Some smaller races do that, but if it's anything over 100 runners I'd think they should do 5 years up to at least 70. But then, nobody asked me, right? Congrats on 2nd, you were probably real close to first!

Lots of accidents all over yesterday. That's why we don't like it to warm up too much once the ground has frozen and we've had snow. Even without snow, light rain on frozen roads spells trouble. DS2 and his friend were going out to a Halloween party at a bar a few miles on the other side of town. I asked him to reconsider given the bad roads and heavy patrols for partiers who shouldn't be driving. Well, they left but came back pretty early and had some friends over. Good choice!

Today is warm again, it's 35° here at the house this morning. I only need 12 miles to hit 40 for the week, so will target that.

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, yay on the 40 mile week! How did your 16 mile run feel today? Are you going to keep up the swimming? Any thoughts of a tri in your future?

1.  Today, I did okay, but still took walk breaks.

2.  Yes

3.  Maybe 

an amazing likeness

I ran into Coastwalker leading the racewalkers late on the White Mountain Milers Half marathon course in North Conway NH today. I just had time to grab my phone and snap a photo as he headed into the finish chute:

..and 1st place racewalker at the awards.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mariposai

Jlynne, what a fun challenge! Who won?

Holly, way to go with your 16 miler. It is so nice to see you back at it again.

Deez4boys, look at you!1 12 miles today!

Paul, very nice racing yesterday.

What is not to love about the pictures Steve posted yesterday?

Enkie, how fun going to a concert with Mr BE

Well, I did go out for gorgeous 15 SMILE miles! The Easy Pacer joined me for the last 5 miles. The miles were slow because I embraced a very steep canyon to get to the orchards. I managed a 46 miles total. I am aiming at consistently getting at least 40 miles per week from here on out.

Looking forward to tomorrow. I am going to be a butterfly. And you?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Steve - whew.
                        glad you just do your goofy things for your GS.
                        I thought you were like that all the time.
                        Not that I would know anything about it or anything like that

but it’s nice to have a good excuse so nobody really knows the truth, isn’t it?
                        Getting older helps too: “one of the benefits of the aging process

is not giving a carp about what anyone else thinks.”(Clint Eastwood)

ps - neat dog / creepy baby

Happy Phoenix everyone.
                        However, wildchild, don’t necessarily write off the possibility of doing anyway something you don ‘t think you ever want to do. Being so different from the norm, sometimes those’re the most memorable, and best. <<<(Portland 2016 reunion)>>>
                        milkie - thanks for the photo of our leader’s happy RW $ea$on and congratulations jeanne and friend for excellent 10K times and rare AG awards for us oldies. However, if that’s what happened, not sticking around for your own awards might inadvertently engender the very impression that we don’t care, after all. Fortunately, at our ages, there’s usually no hurry to go anywhere that fast afterwards, anyway.
                        Holly - nice to have you running so excellently again
                        and havin’ an upcoming marathon goal in Phoenix.
                        Today’s fishhook follow-up confirmed it was a little to deep for Friday’s elective minor surgery so they said that, since it doesn’t bother me anyway and probably never will, might as well leave it where it is until it does, which, since its curved and barbed and is unlikely to migrate anywhere else, will probably be never but to check back if it does. We’ll see.

ps deezie - I don’t think it will ever happen much again but if I ever decide to run all the way again in anything,

I’ll check back for a pacer. Your friend is real lucky.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SteveP

Happy 40 Miles Holly!!!!

Deez has 100!! YAY!!

A Milk Truck Sighting!!!!!!

Tet, knowing the fish hook was in there would drive me nuts.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

Tet, knowing the fish hook was in there would drive me nuts.

Me, too!

Jay - nice racing and thanks Milktruck for the pics!