Masters Running

Ultimate Palindrome: 6.16.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I ran home from work today. 10.1 miles on totally tired, fatigued and sore legs. I don't know what's going on with my legs. I'm just not recovering like I usually do. And I'll smack the first person to point out that I'm getting older....

Evanflein, at the risk of getting a smack (please!  ), there is nothing wrong with getting older. As I always tell my friends, we've been getting older since the day we were born. We've adapted to changes in our bodies all along the way, and we (and you) are still doing that. Running a little over 10 miles on the way home from work is awesome, and that is where your focus should be. I don't recover as quickly as I use to either, and I need more stretching. And I figure, "so what?" Just deal with it and move on.

Tet, don't worry - you won't have that nightmare: I had two meetings yesterday, and am leaving for today's meeting in a few minutes.

Our town's "leaders" are getting me very, very upset. I won't bore you with all the details, but they are, in my view, acting irresponsibly, and in some respects child-like, and are risking a protracted, lengthy negotiation by our conservation commission that will, if completed, protect 13 acres of wetlands, uplands and a pond in an otherwise unprotected watershed in town. But I'm trying to stay focused, and not let these nonsensical actions get in the way of what we are very close to achieving. Dingbats...

6.6 RW miles in nice 55F temps under clear skies this morning.

OK, gotta go.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Folks should care as much as you and be as actively involved in what's going on in their community as you are, Jay. Dingbats indeed!

You're not getting older Erika, you're getting better!  Did you ever really take much of a break after running those two marathons within 6 days? Maybe that could be the cause of the lingering fatigue.

Is 61 a magic number Mike? With your physical abilities, I can see you kicking a$# running marathons for years to come.

Dreams? Well, I have the one everyone has where you're getting ready for a race but can't find your shoes, bib, etc. But a scary one I had for at least a year running was when I was 4 or 5. There was some kind of a monster coming after me and the only way he couldn't find me was if I crawled in bed with my mother. That poor woman - every night around midnight I'd get in bed with her and ruin her sleep thrashing and kicking around.

Had some more cancer spots dug out on my leg and arms yesterday. Doc says no running for a day or two to give the stitches some time. So, 5 brisk walking miles this morning in overcast skies and 56°

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm at the airport heading to Oregon for the relay! I had to get up at Jay:30, and I'm afraid the rest of the weekend will be just as sleepless...  but I'm looking forward to it!  Hey Erika - maybe you're getting older?  (ducking!)

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy relaying, Carolyn.  Sleep is overrated.  Better adding running to that ducking!

Because no one here would ever say that Erika is getting older.  I'm not, so why should she?

Child-like is not always a good thing, is it Jay?  Guessing this is more petulance than innocence?

Hope you heal quickly, Jeanne.  And also that there be very limited future digging.

3.1 miles this morining.  Felt hard, but based on my milage lately, shouldn't be very surprising.  Nice and cool, though, so still pleasant.  Tomorrow into Saturday, my DW will be participating in the Relay For Life in our town.  I'll be busy with helping to set up at the track where it takes place, but since i'm not on the team officially, i get to go home and sleep.

Happy weeknd running to all.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

Erika - That is the problem with being a lean, mean running machine. You notice when you go slower.

Now me, I just plod along and barely notice a bad day from a good day anymore. Today I plodded through a humid 5 miles.

Henrun

We're all getting older but, not always wiser. Saw another ortho today. Ordered more X-rays and it showed that my "good" knee is in worse shape than my painful one. The bottom line is that injections and Tylenol may help temporarily but eventually I may need a knee replacement . Have another appointment to discuss that. Meanwhile, running is probably out but I can walk. May take one of Jay's clinics and bite the bullet of reality.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

good morning jay and all.  Until now, I never thought

there was anything elegant about this year's June 16

Ultimate Palindrome: 6.16.16

ps jay (twocat too) - is that five meetings already so far this week
                What’s your PR?
                Lifetime total
                How many states/countries?

dreams

I have no idea what triggered ‘em but three

consecutive vivid dreamares last night starting with
                (1) a big, window-breaking, earthquake
                with lots of screaming and crying, then
                (2) the ancie. . , great one sitting on a sofa with arms
                crossed over an olive green vest sweater stubbornly
                shaking his head about going for a barefoot run this time,
                and
                (3) an old flame, properly aged and in a bright red dress
                trying to get me to attach brass hinges on a new door
                and hang it on the front door frame
                of her cute little cottage. She must think I'm Mr. BE. .

The latter dream is the one that finally woke me up.

Tried to shake it all off  this morning’s five mile cyclemute, . . . didn’t work.
                ps erika - sorry about whatever it is that’s going on with your legs

and not recovering like you usually do.  However, no need to admit it

until your next decade, or as I did, the one after that.
                pps - maybe you have to get old and slow to appreciate it but, though the scenic running up there is much more devoutly to be wished, there’s nothing boring anymore about chasing a 26.2 mile goal by running and/or walking around loops, repeated out-and-backs, etc. especially with other maniacs regaling each other in past glories.

Henry - after so much pain in my shoulder after a little fall in January, I got three X-rays of each shoulder in March and was told I have crippling arthritis that’s worse in the good shoulder.  I declined all the pain-killers they prescribed and now, for some reason, both shoulders are back to normal motion without pain.  Have faith.  

amy - how's it going down there?

How close are your to Orlando where everything's happening?

The Seattle Rock'n'Roll that you AG'd when it was the Seafair Marathon and which was the 2009 Boomer reunion run I missed is this weekend.  However, with no marathons since last year's Seattle in November (6:07) and Portland in October (6:17), I don't think I'll pay the $150 last gasp entry just to miss the six hour cutoff.  At four hours, the half marathon is a little more forgiving but the price is the same $150.  weird. oh, the expo price for next year is $59.  Unfortunately, it's still a six hour cutoff

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

We recently spent about $1000 buying two new full-size mattress sets for the kids, and that stupid dog Daisy peed on both of them immediately!  Why would she do that?  Normally she sleeps with DD and Dexter sleeps with DS, but that weekend DD was away one night, so she slept with DS one night, peed on his bed, then slept with DD the next night, and peed on her bed.  Marking her territory?  I thought that was the end of it, but she peed on DD's bed again last night, when DD had a friend over and they were sharing the bed.  Daisy jealous of DD's friend?  I don't know, but I am PO'd about it.  Heading out to buy waterproof mattress cover right now.

No run again, just about 50 minutes of weights and PT exercises.  Why does my knee hurt even more when I do the PT exercises?  I feel like I am aggravating the problem, not making it better, but I will continue to do as I am told and see the sports med doc again next week.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

H

No run again, just about 50 minutes of weights and PT exercises.  Why does my knee hurt even more when I do the PT exercises?  I feel like I am aggravating the problem, not making it better, but I will continue to do as I am told and see the sports med doc again next week.

Happy Thursday!

Do what your PT says...or my wings will come to hunt you.

Erika, hugs, it is not you getting older...it is the marathons you just ran back to back and the workload you have. Relax...Breathe...take a few days of rest.

So, at the last moment I decided to join this lady's boot camp for 6 weeks, I am finding out that I am needing to sacrifice my running in order to get back my firmer muscles Smile. 2 miles today plus boot camp at 5am Sad. Then 2 miles for cool down.

I am looking forward to the relay team and their stories.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard