Masters Running

THANKS for everyone's support: it worked! (Read 316 times)

DanL2

It's been a heckuva year, starting with sudden cardiac death last June 1st at the end of a 10K in Steamboat Springs. And even after that incredible episode, we weren't done yet -- as the medical community, in its infinite wisdom, decided I needed an ICD implanted to keep things under control. That went in on November 7th. And on Sunday, February 1st, I finished a Half in Tallahassee in 2:41 and change. I couldn't have done it without the wonderful support, guidance, and help of my most lovely wife Amy (a/k/a Aamos in this community). Nor without the love, prayers, hopes and thoughts of many of you out there. THANK YOU so much for that! It's really special, as I'm plodding along doing my Galloway-esque 4 minutes running/1 minute walking routine, remembering the postings that people have made and knowing that people really, truly are behind me. I've thought of that more often than you know. And a special "thanks" to Pam and John Kennedy, our absent hosts in Tallahassee, who really wanted to be there when Aamos and I came into town. They had a family thing going that took them away, but that didn't prevent them from being excellent hosts even in absentia. Thanks for the tickets to the car museum, and the strong suggestion to visit the Gardens. The latter was especially peaceful and calming, the first place we went to after cleaning up from the race. The race itself was outstanding. It started out cool, but warmed up nicely. It was flat (thank you!) and I didn't even finish last in my age group. I'm looking forward to my next one, which at this point is Ft. Collins; but we'll likely find something else in the interim. In the meantime I've got a long run in my life every weekend, something I've worked up to and cherish my ability to carry through on. I'll remember the power of everyone's support! -- Dan
    DanL2 SCA 6.1.2008, ICD implant 11.7.2008 Still haven't figured out what I want to be when I grow up!
    spacityrunner

Dan, what a great race report....fabulous finish for a trying year! Thanks for sharing your expereince. Hugs to you and Amy.

Trails Rock!

wildchild

Carolyn

Dan, good to hear from you! I'm planning to meet you in Ft Collins in May! My daughter will be running her first 5K that day, too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Most excellent Dan. We've been with you every step of the way. Many prayers and thoughts have gone your way. I am so glad to read the enthusasm and joy for life in this posting! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Maniac 505

I'm so happy to read this dan. congrats on your accomplishments. we look forward to seeing both of you at a race somewhere. Dave
            arf

MM #405

This is fantastic Dan! I was so happy to read this! You sound so excited and pumped to be running again and congrats on the super 1/2 marathon!! I miss you and Amy and you forgot to mention the support and love of your nurse, Frank. He is a very special friend of mine! Big grin Glad you're enjoying your long runs on the weekends... Best wishes to you and Amy and pats for you-know-who. hugs, arf

Marathon Maniac #957

Dan, this is so wonderful to read! You are helping the rest of us more than you know - your progress has been very inspring. I'm very much looking forward to meeting you and Amy again in June at the Seattle R&R.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Beautiful! Very nice to read this report.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    It's been a heckuva year, starting with sudden cardiac death last June 1st at the end of a 10K in Steamboat Springs. -- Dan
                    congratulations, Dan. May every day continue to hold new joy for you.
                      Thanks for the race report and update, Dan. You (and aamos) have had a tough year but have fought back with inner strength and determination. Your example is a inspiration to all of us. Congratulations on your progress and many happy miles to you. TomS
                        It's great to hear that everything is going so well for you, Dan. You and Amy have a lot of guts and determination, and you've clearly demonstrated that we should all wring every bit of joy out of every day we have here. Thank you for that.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

It's great to watch your comeback, Dan!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Just delighted with your great come-back Dan! I had forgotten exactly when your race was was but interesting was thinking about you and Amy several times on Sunday! Congrats on a great race! Looking forward to many more race reports from you.

Head Procrastinator

WTG Dan!! This post made me smile today. You ROCK!! Barb
                              ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                                Awesome Dan, I've been wondering how things were progressing with you and your "ICD". COnsidering all that you have been through you did quite well indeed! Big grin Give AMY a nice hello for me.