Masters Running

Clamdigger 8K RR (Read 264 times)

coastwalker

This race was the USATF-NE 8K racewalking championships. It isn't often that I get to race against just racewalkers, so it was worth the 2 1/2 hour drive to Westerly, RI for the race. There were about 20 racers, which, believe it or don't, was a pretty decent turnout for a racewalk race. I keep trying to tell people that there aren't a lot of racewalkers, and that opens a lot of doors for anybody with some talent! The course is a house-lot away from the ocean, but the sand dunes and homes obscured any water views on the course. The racewalkers did 2 laps of a flat 2.5-mile 'out and back' (making it easy for each of the the judges to see each walker 4 times on the course). It was sunny and probably in the upper 40s/low 50s. There was a head wind going out, and it was warm both times on the way back without that cooling breeze. I'm still used to my early morning workouts at temps in the 30s. I did a 4-mile race a few weeks ago, and averaged just under a 10:30/mile pace. My goal for this race was simply to do better. Well, I blew it and got below that pace for only the first mile. My time was 53:04, giving me an overall pace of 10:40. I tried to make too many adjustments on the course, and blew it. I also got what turned into a very annoying blister in mile 3, but that shouldn't have slowed me down. I placed OK; 3rd male and 1st among those 60+ (for which I got a nice plaque with a photo of the beach), but I was really disappointed with my time. So it is back to the drawing board, and try again at another race. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

wildchild

Carolyn

Jay, sorry you were disappointed with your time today, but congrats on 1st in AG and 3rd male, anyway!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Just 20 racers ? wow ! But what an opprotunity for you racewalkers to have a race all your own. Great race and thanks for sharing I learn so much here at RA and meet so many interesting people. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Henrun

Not bad for a disappointing race. You're quite consistent. We expected to see you today at the 10 mile water station. Where were you?
          RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Jay, Sorry you are disappointed but, to us mere mortals, you are a smokin' fast walker! Congratulations on winning prizes!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

Talk about getting screwed. Post your RR on Boston Marathon day! As you know, I have tried to walk fast during injuries and have enjoyed much of it, to the extent one can enjoy being injured and having to walk. But it did give me an appreciation of how good you are. I can't even imagine your paces. Good for you Jay and may you continue to succeed at this sport and help others. Spareribs

Renee the dog

Coast, Congratulations on snagging that plaque! I'm sorry you didn't get the race pace you wanted. Sounds like it wasn't an easy day, but still placed well. I always appreciate your reports. I have a friend who would be an excellent racewalker. I need to keep encouraging her. Your report reminds me to do that. Thanks!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

SteveP

Jay, it's kewl racewalkes have their own event. Hardware rocks. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

Congrats on the fine racing. 3rd OA and 1st AG......very nice!
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    coastwalker

Thanks for your support and encouragement, even after a poor performance. I'd be willing to bet that you all know how it is easier to cut someone else some slack after a disappointing race than it is to do the same for yourself. Well, that is where I am; I'm not going to dwell on it, but I am disappointed that I didn't walk the race that I was capable of. For any of you who are considering racewalking, or know someone who is, Dave McGovern gives clinics all over the country, and he does a great job of helping people get started, as well as helping those with some experience improve their skills. Here is the link to his web site (where there is information on his clinics): http://www.racewalking.org/ Maybe it's time for me to sign up for another clinic... Henry, I was at the 10-mile checkpoint, not the water station. We were about a tenth of a mile before the water station. After we finished our jobs (logging times and bib #s for the wheelchair athletes, as well as for the top 100 male and female runners) I was scanning the field for people I knew, but also talking to other volunteers and spectators, and trying to help tired/injured runners, so I'm sorry that I missed you. I hope you and Marj had a great day, and that the headwind didn't cause you too many problems. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Henrun

Jay, sorry I confused your 10 mile spot. Marj and I both accomplished what we had set out to do-finish in under 6 hours. Marj ran with me for the first half and reined me in when I wanted to increase my speed. It may have cost me a couple of minutes at the end but I did not hurt and ran all the way. Marj, unfortunately, started hurting and she only finished one minute ahead of me. Nevertheless, we both enjoyed the run.
                          I am my own toughest critic, so I know how that disappointment can settle in. You are smart not to dwell there though as you did well even if not right on the target you wanted. I have always been in awe of race walking ever since one of my high school team mates devoted herself to race walking. There were never many competitors at that level, but those who did it looked so smooth and focused as they circled the track (with the officials following their every step to ensure they weren't lifting or running). Nicely done Jay and good job snagging the AG win.
                            sorry you're disappointed with your time, but a BIG CONGRATULATIONS on your awards!! I find that pace amazing and hope your next race is everything you want it to be!!

denise

#artbydmcbride

Congrats on sticking with it, you are as always a tough competitor! I hate wind ...it really is hard to deal with. Good job!

Runners run

Marathon Maniac #957

sorry you're disappointed with your time, but a BIG CONGRATULATIONS on your awards!! I find that pace amazing and hope your next race is everything you want it to be!!
                                Denise said exactly what I wanted to say.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."