Masters Running

June Bug Daily, 6.1.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:

Holly (6.3 miles in 56° temps)

Jlynne (5 miles with the Y girls)

RunnerKSA (3.1 San Fran Bay miles)

Tramps (8 sweaty miles with a couple of test intervals)

BerthaSlayer (massage + 1 mile)

Catwhoorg (5 post-speedwork-achy-legs miles, plus 16 post-work bike miles)

Marj (20 bike miles)

Fatozzig (45 min of core/ST)

Tet (5 dry miles)

Henrun (1.5 mile walk + yoga)

Wildchild (5 miles for prime)

Spacityrunner (3.7 hot, sticky, humid, loving it lunchtime miles)

StarrRuns (2.5 lunchtime power walk miles, then 7 bike miles)

Evanflein (10.5 post-work, sunshiny miles)

Steve prompted some interesting comments about care-giving spouses and familial ethics yesterday.

Interesting comments also about diving into cold water. Never again…

Welcome home, RunnerKSA.

Nasty weather, Tramps. I’m glad you and your power survived.

Sorry about the 10 miles vs. 10K, Evanflein. Interesting connection between gardening and lifts/squats. With gardening, you get the added benefit of being able to enjoy those plants all season.

Marj - yes, I’m planning on race walking the Market Square Day 10K. Will you and Henry be there this year?

Interesting way to deal with Halloween, Fatozzig. We just leave the lights off.

Nighttime gardening, Tet? Headlamp?

I hope you and Marj have a great time on the Cape, Henrun. It looks like most of the Masters forum wants you and Marj to adopt us.

I don’t know if it is a good or bad thing that you got your internet fixed, Wildchild. Congrats on the monthly prime.

Do take it easy with that injured leg, Starr.

Tough family situation you’ve got there, Steve. I hope things calm down.

I'm still achy, so I'm still TENSing and resting. So another morning off.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. I'm sorry you're still not 100%, but you're smarter than most people (that would be me) by listening to your body and taking a few days off when you need to.

Lots of interesting posts yesterday. And I think Marj and Henry have really figured out this retirement thing!

Well, a new season of House of Cards is streaming on Netflix. Started on May 30th.  DH and I are 6 episodes in. Between that and Genius and a few other great specials on PBS, I'm maxed out on my television viewing time.

A little over 5 miles this morning in IRC. 48°, bright sun and no wind. Two - count 'em - two days of school left! I think I'm going to make it

Rest up, Jay.  You seem to have a lot of sense!    I'm glad to be home but I'm very tired-  it's like travel hangover.   2.3 miles this morning and 2.2 after work for 4.5.  (math skills....)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning Jay and all to follow. I'm sorry you're still not 100%, but you're smarter than most people (that would be me) by listening to your body and taking a few days off when you need to.

Lots of interesting posts yesterday. And I think Marj and Henry have really figured out this retirement thing!

Well, a new season of House of Cards is streaming on Netflix. Started on May 30th.  DH and I are 6 episodes in. Between that and Genius and a few other great specials on PBS, I'm maxed out on my television viewing time.

A little over 5 miles this morning in IRC. 48°, bright sun and no wind. Two - count 'em - two days of school left! I think I'm going to make it

When does the hour and minute countdown start, Jeanne?

Site visit in CT for me today, so some walking around a construction site.  3.1 lake loop miles yesterday for a basic easy day.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

A disaster of a run this morning. My quads were sore from yesterday's yoga and I put on new shoes. After 3 miles I was hurting- had to call Marj  who had just returned from her walk to rescue me by car. I could have walked the extra mile home but "more pain, no gain".

Jay, I am far from ready to run a 10K, so no Market Square this year.

We would be glad to have all our potential adoptees join us on our travels✈️

Dave59

Good morning. I went to the gym for a workout this morning.

Monday I ran a 5k over in Ironton Ohio.

27:39, 8:55 pace, best 5k so far this year by 6 seconds.  But until I quit eating too much that is about the limit I guess.
              6 of 15 AG
              96 of 197 male
              133 of 428 overall

I signed up for a 5k this Sunday which takes place at 2:00.  It will be 80° with a good chance for thunderstorms. I hadn't planned on another 5k less than a week after the Memorial Day 5k but this is a benefit for a young woman with breast cancer so I signed up and threw a little extra into the registration fee. 

Going to ask my manager for tomorrow off. I think I'll drive somewhere new and do a run. Get my mind off work for a while.  Thinking about going to Logan State Park by route of a windy back road.  I've never been there or traveled the road to it.  Hopefully it will work out.  (If my manager says no, I'll call in sick tomorrow and go anyway.)

We would be glad to have all our potential adoptees join us on our travels✈️

I  may need to have some discussions with The Hub. 

Good job listening to your body, Jay.

Opioids - My dad was heavily addicted to opioids and had been for decades.  In the later years of his life, his doctor wouldn't take him off of them because she said his body would react too negatively.  It didn't send him into a spiral of other drug use, but his life revolved around watching the clock for when it was time to take his next pain pill.  He lived about 30 min south of us, but it was hard to get together with him because of his work schedule. He would come to town a few times a month to do his regular shopping, go to the drugstore, etc., so we were always asking him to stop by - even if just for an hour - and have dinner with us. I can't even begin to count the times he refused to simply because he didn't bring his medication with him. When we cleaned out his house, we found a large stockpile of pain meds he'd managed to pull together because he was so terrified of running out.

I refused to get up this morning to run. Will do so after work.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

..fatozzig//..it's sad, Fear of Pain is a REAL problem when you have Long Term Pain.........

=============

.........40-min PoolRun with letters

off to see Claire,

the place we usually fish was Destroyed by weekend Tornado

so we're looking for new spots

..............good running to ya............will check in mid-week

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

My MIL (now passed) was on a plethora of meds too, each one causing a side effect that resulted in her doc giving her something else to counteract that side effect. vicious cycle. I imagine if the medical industry made money off prescribing good diets and exercise to their patients, maybe there would be more people doing that under the advisements of their docs, but easier to write a Rx. and more money to be made. 

Will leave the office about 4 today, get in 5 or so miles, then tilling up an area in my garden to plant my beans. I'm way behind this year but hopefully I'll still get a good crop of green beans. Also have had lots of volunteer tomato plants pop up, so will try to carefully replant those  in a different area, since they are popping up in my lettuce/spinach area from compost I had in that garden bed.

Tammy

That's the downside of streaming when it's all available at once: you can binge-watch your way through it and then have to wait basically an entire year to get more of it! The benefit (at our age) is that it makes it easier to keep up with a complex plot and/or multiple characters' names. We gave up on Cards a couple seasons ago, but this year have binged the new season of Bosch  and Mozart in the Jungle (both on Amazon Prime). We'll probably end up doing the same with Bloodlines, which is its last season, and have to go looking for something new. We've been stacking Genius episodes up on our DVR for later watching.

After two straight carpy runs over the weekend, today's was exceptionally sproinky -- if not fast -- with 4.5 miles at my usual mid-10s pace. I even detoured through a new park that the small college along the trail (Rochester College) recently opened to the public.

Good day and good runs to all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Interesting topic on opiods. They are too easy to obtain IMO. I see the misuse of them among some of my coworkers who have pain from injury from work. It's sad. Not sure what the answer is.

3.3 glorious miles in my neighbourhood.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Marathon Maniac #957

My mom fell off a balcony to a cement driveway when she was pregnant with me and fractured her back.  She spent most of the pregnancy in a hospital.  She told me they had her in a body cast that had to be re-done periodically as her belly expanded.  At any rate, the resulting arthritis in her older years and degenerative disc disease meant she had years of chronic pain.  And the years of chronic pain and nonstop pain meds changed her, I think, although I did not know her when she was young.  When she was still living she was prescribed Vicoden in bottles bigger than soda cans.

It looks like a lot of rain coming in this weekend, and since I am using some PTO tomorrow I think I will get up early and do my LR then, since the forecast is ideal - upper 50's-low 60's.

3.6 miles for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Nighttime gardening, Tet? Headlamp?

jay - no, no, sunset now at 9pm and light enough to stay outside for another 45 minutes. Nothing like Erika-land where the sun doesn't even pretend to go down until the next day (12:09am) and, even then, only for about three hours but I doubt that it ever really gets dark any more, does it, Erika. as the sun is mostly only creasing along a little under the horizon?

five miles in off-and-on showers before supposedly sunny afternoon.  We'll see.

Tell the twocat/posie crew to send me any rain if any's in the forecast

for their marathons over there but, since it's summer, at least, over there,I doubt it. .

I'm definitely appalled at the opioid lies and perfidy

and look forward catching up on all yesterday's

hot links. thanks.

Henry - good call. ,

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

That's the downside of streaming when it's all available at once: you can binge-watch your way through it and then have to wait basically an entire year to get more of it! The benefit (at our age) is that it makes it easier to keep up with a complex plot and/or multiple characters' names.

Yeah, but after a year of not seeing the show, I'm usually, "Wait, who is that guy?  Have we seen him before? And why does he hate that other guy so much? What happened to... ?"    They really need season recaps on all these shows.  Some have them, but many don't.

Despite most in my family having physically demanding jobs that take their toll, I'm unaware of any opiod use/abuse, thankfully. Tough situation for many, I know.

Rest day for me. I went in for my prescribed gait analysis at the running lab at my university.  That was interesting.  You've probably seen these (like this) even if you haven't done it. They attach a bunch of small balls to you joints and key spots.  Then you run on a treadmill while the cameras track the movement of the balls, once at an easy pace, once at a tempo pace. The software analyzes the recorded motion at several dozen points and flags anything that is out of normal range. This info suggests weaknesses that can be addressed with targeted exercises.  I do seem to have some weaknesses around the left knee that's been bothering me and I got a few exercises to start immediately.  I'll have the full follow-up with my doc next week to discuss where to go from here.

I'm a little skeptical about some of this.  Running on a treadmill, for example, feels really different for me than my usual running.  And I did no warm up at all before a short burst at tempo speed.  It seems to me these things, among others, would affect my gait. Still, I'm hoping to learn from the analysis and have it be a part of a rehab plan.

ETA: Apparently, it's "National Go Barefoot Day," not that anyone would ever run barefoot.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ETA: Apparently, it's "National Go Barefoot Day," not that anyone would ever run barefoot.

whew!

thanks.

Fortunately, unbeknownst to me this time

(as it used to be in May), I already celebrated it.

However, that won't stop  me from celebrating it again,

. . . including every other day of the year too.

thanks again.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)