Masters Running

Monday, 2.20.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Yesterday's excellent workouts & races:

C-R (5 trail miles, conversing with a friend and looking at owls)

Tramps (sweating through a recovery 3-miler in crazy warm weather)

Holly (12 miles in 45F temps with windy, misty/drizzly conditions)

Dave (1.12 zipped miles after a core workout)

Henrun (3 miles over the Brooklyn Bridge)

BerthaSlayer (13 speedy miles in IRC)

TomWhite (40 mi. pool run, then hitting balls with sprained wrists)

Mike (6 miles with a beat-up body)

Deeze (15 min. on the recumbent bike then quad stretches)

Rochrunner (18 miles with screaming quads on the earliest bike ride in a calendar year)

Evanflein (61 min. pool running while battling inner demons)

I'm sorry about all the injuries that a lot of us are dealing with. As always, and even though it isn't always easy, we have to step back, figure out how we got there, and figure out what it'll take to get us healthy again. If it mean rest, then do that, even though you'll hate it. If it means skipping a race or two, do that, even though you'll hate it. Haven't we learned that if we don't give ourselves time to recover, we won't?

I can't speak too much to parenting, not being one. But I do know ( as some of you have pointed out) that kids don't come with manuals, that almost all of them present their challenges, that parents do the best they can for their kids, and that the kids of parents who care turn out fine just about every time. Speaking for myself, I don't think I was an easy kid to raise, and my folks didn't have a manual either, and I think I turned out reasonably OK. So have faith in yourselves and in your kids, remind them that you love them, and you and they will be OK too.

So we started the party at 2:57 because we could, and because we do things like that. And people work hard to arrive exactly at the designated time, and that's fun to see. Salad-on-a-stick is Cherry tomatoes cut in half with a piece of fresh basin and mozzarella in the middle, with a toothpick run through it and a few drops of Balsamic Glaze on the assembled 'salad.' Easy to make, but it does take a little time if you want to make a lot of them (and we do make a lot of them). We made 7 teams of 4 people each. Their challenges were taste tests. There were 6 different salts (Lemon Citrus, Ginger Root, Espresso, Iceland Sea Licorice, Burnt Applewood Smoked, and Wild Porcini) that they had to taste and identify. There were 3 cheeses, all the same kind but each from a cow, goat, or sheep, and they had to tell which was which, and what kind of cheese it was (Gouda). And there were 3 different Port wines, 5-year, 12-year, and 20-year, and they had to tell which was which. Only one team got all the salts right, and only one team correctly identified the kind of cheese. At the end, there was an overall winning team, but a tie for 2nd, so we had to have (of course) a tie-breaker. So we had 2 reps from each of 4 teams, and one person from each team had to tie a bow tie on the other. We got some interesting tie jobs! We went through a ton of food, at least 12-15 bottles of wine, plus beer, and soda/juice for the kids. After everyone left (the party was supposed to end at 6:33, but there are always a few folks who linger for a while, and that's fine), DW and I finally A) sat down, and B) had something to eat. We decided that it had been a fun and lively party, but we were once again disappointed that we didn't get to chat with everyone there. We're a pretty efficient clean up team so we had the great bulk of the work done in about 90 minutes (thank goodness for dishwashers!). I didn't get to sleep all that much later than usual. but I was a bit more tired than usual.

No workout this morning - I was too tired for some reason, and caught a little extra sleep. I have a chiropractor appt. at noon (still bent out of shape from my falls), and this evening our half marathon race committee is meeting to select this year's beneficiary from about 15 non-profits that submitted applications.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

4 miles this morning.  39° and very foggy.  TV weather gut said the fog was thicker than pea soup.  I don't like pea soup so I was worried about the smell, and also worried about drowning in fog that thick, but it wasn't too bad.  I could see where I was going just fine and there was no pea soup odor.

I'm the one that needs the slap, not MikeE. I have the best job set-up you could possibly ask for but I turn on my computer in the morning and my brain rebels.  It says it dislikes the work and refuses to think clearly.  Every minute is an effort in sheer willpower to accomplish enough to keep everyone off my back.  By the end of the day I am so wasted that I have literally walked into walls and dropped dishes.  And everything I drop seems to explode in all directions when it shatters making it take forever to cleanup. (I may switch to paper plates for a while.)

Tramps

Jay--sounds like a busy and successful party.  No wonder you were a little tired this morning.

Henry--I've never run the Brooklyn Bridge but it was one of my favorite walks when I lived there (and wasn't a runner yet).  Glad you got a nice day to do it.

Lori--that photo is worth the price of admission. 

Erika--you're right, of course.  I forgot how cool desert nights can be.

Enke--there are issues, but I don't think dementia is it.

Doug--nice ride. Tribee keeps tempting me to get a bike so I could go out with her from time to time.  I can't bring myself to spend the $$ on a decent basic bike.  Maybe this year.

MikeE - you are one of the most amazing people I know - smart, funny, kind, giving, amazing athlete, incredible father and grandfather, etc.  We NEVER know if what we are doing is right, but I have confidence that, if anyone is doing the best, it is you.

Mike--yeah, well, I don't know about any of that (we've never actually met, after all) but I thought your other idea was a good one.

Tough love.

Federal holiday so lots of folks around here with the day off (but not me).  Family Day in Canada, no?

Out for my 8 mile trail loop.  This is a new trail and it's quickly become a favorite.  Nice varied terrain, a couple of water views, and a good round-trip distance from my house.

Have a good week.

ETA:

I'm the one that needs the slap, not MikeE.

Dave snuck in while I was posting, so....okay.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - no wonder you were tired today!  Sounds like a great party!

Dave - it's just entropy...

Tramps - 

Yesterday at Dicks, I picked up a lacrosse stick and nearly dropped it when I saw the price - $149.    We ended up getting one that cost $100, but with the goggles and ball I ended up spending $140.  I have a call in to the orthodontist to figure out how to get a mouthguard that will fit  over her braces, and we still need to get cleats.  I sure hope she likes lacrosse.

5.2 miles for me this morning.

Holiday?  What holiday?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

C-R

Morning Jay, Dave and Tramps and the rest of ya'll to come.

Jay - I think you deserve a day off. Especially for salad on a stick.

Real foggy for us too but I left that behind for 82 and sunny in Florida for my business trip this week. Got my 3.1 at 4:30 am prior to my flight. Channeled my inner Jay. Very quiet at that time of day.

No worries Mike. Everyone has some introspection time once in a while. You'll bounce out of it. There's a good family around you and that helps. + running.

But just in case

Heal up people. Too many injuries in here for February.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

.loved it CR//.............Words to Live By.........

actually

the Sprained Wrists are NoBigDeal, more of a nuaisance really

but thanks

for the Kind Words

====================

.........70s again here

40-min HH on GreenWay

debating a PoolRun

....................good running to the rest of ya

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...OK, Indulge Me......

NPR had this cool article on Poetry

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/02/20/514558968/can-poetry-keep-you-young-science-is-still-out-but-the-heart-says-yes

which reminded me

of a Poem

My Dad

once told me-

=============

Each time you see a Little Church,

Always stop and visit.

So

if they bring your DeadAss in,

The Lord won't say ''Who Is It??''

===========

eta-

....Poetry Fulfills Many Needs......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

When I posted my depressive thoughts, yesterday, I was not fishing for compliments...but they sure were nice.  I really appreciate them all!

Tramps--how did we get along without you for so long?

I called the therapist that Eric saw a while back and, although, he was not able to say anything about Eric because he's an adult--he reassured me that I have done all that I can do at this point.  I'm not sure if that is good or bad--it seems that, if somebody needs--somebody should be able to help him before it is too late.

I was also able to talk to Eric, today, too.  He sounds good and he agreed to let me come over, this weekend.  So--I think I feel a little better...although, my boss said he's coming over at 2:00, so this is, probably just a temporary feeling.

I also scheduled a doctor's appointment to have my first physical in 5 years.  I used to have them every year, before the insurance stuff went crazy.  Now, I just have to go and make sure I don't tell him anything that is bothering me, otherwise, it's no longer a "well-care visit".  How I long for the days of $25 Co-Pays which covered the whole dang thing.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!   Thanks again, everybody!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Glad your boy is nearby, Mike.

Tom - we always said a prayer for no avalanches, no broken bones,
                    no DNF’s, etc. when we went by the little mini-chapel on the way

to skiing in those days. 
                    It’s still there.  So are my bones, . . . and me.  whew.

Tiny church - Wayside Chapel.
                    Wayside Chapel - a tiny place of worship. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/9417

No ‘muting today as nothing to ‘mute to on President’s Day
                    Maybe Jay’ll give me credit for Friday again.
                    Thanks.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

good luck mike - whatever you decide

jay  - interesting party. we bought one of the salts when we were in florida - very distinctive taste

ran about 4 this morning before we left - still in brooklyn, but in the dumbo area not brooklyn heights.  wore shorts & long sleeve shirt at 40 which is too cold for me, but i had no other option.  most folks were in long pants and jackets. it was a weird run, because i kept hitting dead ends and zig zagging around but wonderful views of manhattan and bridges.  back home now to reality - food shopping, cooking, cleaning, and of course archeology...

Mariposai

Heal up people. Too many injuries in here for February.

This reminds a lot of those fun chat nights we used to have with Coolrunning friends in the chat room that Mustang Sally created for our group.

A day off for me today from work, our son David came to visit us over the weekend, plus our dear friends the  Yellands. We did a lot of Xcountry skiing, playing board games and just relaxing and having fun. Running wise, I did go out hoping for a 6 considering the hard cord skiing I did over the weekend, but I felt good so I went 10 miles with 4 at MP.

Marj, great picture and run.

MikeE, praying for you and your family.

Taperboy, aka Tetsujin, cool picture. We were thinking of you as we cross country skied over the weekend.

BerthaSlayer, great 13 miles yesterday!!!

Deeze4boys, hugs to you my beautiful sistahhh.

I am already excited about the get together in the AZ marathon next weekend

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker sounds like you hosted an awesome event! You did not mention how many got the port tasting right? That, to me, sounds like the most interesting.

Mike E well we all wish you and your family the best.

SteveP happy to hear your dad is recovering well. Bummer about the leaks. Have you heard of something called a WaterCop? It is easy to install. You place these WaterHounds around the house. If they detect a leak (i.e. get wet) they send a radio signal to the WaterCop and it shuts off the central water valve. Works like a charm and has saved me thousands of dollars in water damage over the years.

BerthaSlayer amen!

The results from yesterday's 20k were posted. They apparently have a pretty neat setup at the finish. A video camera records everyone coming through and time stamps it. When you go to look up your results you can see yourself running into the finish. If you want to see me look for bib 7234 at https://results.chronotrack.com/event/results/event/event-25546#. Then click on my name. This race attracts a tough crowd! I thought I ran really well and came in ahead of quite a few people have not beaten in a long time! Still I just 15 out 45 in my AG.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Today is a rest day so just a cute little one miler on the treadmill.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

flats

turtle runner eximious

6+ sloppy miles for me. I forgot it was a holiday today, and it sure made my commute easy.

Michael

evanflein

32 minutes (3.66 miles) on the elliptical. I did run easy one 200 meter lap on the track. Foot felt just ok, not great. Not sure what this weekend will bring. BUT I will say I'm glad to be getting out of town for a week as we're looking at getting a big dump of snow and colder temps while we're gone. Getting a little tired of winter, to be honest.