Masters Running

Newbies 4/29 and beyond (Read 401 times)

Rindaroo

Hi everyone - Thought I'd start a new one... looks like we're on about 2 threads a month pace. This morning I started the 8th week of the program. 12R/3W I walked 15 minutes, then did two of the 12/3 intervals as per the plan. It felt fine Smile Eliz - yep you are correct! he is in 7th grade. I'm trying to get him to be responsible for himself.. oy! probably going to be a battle for years.
      Linda, thanks for moving us up. I am losing the battle with my 7th grader. I am about to just let them both live with the consequences of their actions. At 17 and 12 they know what is right and wrong. Havent ran or did really anything since Friday morning. I had a sore throat from Thursday night until this AM. Now its just typical cold symptoms that are draining me of all my energy. So a question....Do you run through the illness or just rest? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

dg.

hi everybody. I just posted. really. got 'cannot find server'. will try again tomorrow. thank for starting us Linda. so happy you're feeling better!!
        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Hi guys--been poking my head in here, but not saying much. Still no running, but I'm adding some more exercises in the morning to go along with the shin ones that I haven't been dedicated enough with. push-ups and sit-ups along with some of the PPV stuff. Boy am I weak. started out thinking 2 sets of 10 for each--made it for the sit-ups but not the push-ups. I've got a lot of work to do Shocked the 16 lbs I've gained back since the first of the year surely don't help. Don't you hate when you lose your server? Linda--I'm very impressed with your consistent, steady progress. You're very dedicated to stick with this plan. Spring weather helping? Just doing things slowly? Whatever--keep it going. I was going to write more, but am informed that the computer is needed for homework. So good dad that I am, I guess I'll have the shelve this important stuff. Good night to all. Hope to hear more later. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

One concert down, five, six, oh, I don't want to count how many more to go. This one was at my "old" school - 5th & 6th grade, more in my comfort zone, but nothing's really been "comfortable" about my job this crazy school year. Kids peaked at exactly the right moment and did an awesome job. Gee, nine hours from now I'll be back at school getting ready for another rehearsal! T-minus 36 days and counting! Planning on 5 glorious miles, with a little speedwork thrown in just for fun, tomorrow late afternoon/evening. I will send good vibes to those of you who are living with 7th graders - I get to send "mine" home to their parents! Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Eliz, theres light at the end of the tunnel. Whats your plans for next year? I just started reading a book by Dr. Phil. Self Matters. Its about how to get out of a rut in life. The job youre not thrilled about, living in a place you hate, etc sort of rut. The kind of rut I am in now. Its a great book so far. Kevin, I am right with you with the weight and weakness. But I have gotten stronger with PT and gym workouts. Still cant run much farther than 4 miles. Half of what I was running last year. Dont worry about the numbers. Just stick with your workout and you will gain strength. I swam last week for the first time in months and I was pleased to see how much more arm strength I gained with weight training. Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Me

Good morning Everyone, Kids!, I'll tell you. I'm amazed at how mine grew from mouthy, snotty, constantly fighting with each other and convinced that I don't know anything into a couple of really neat men that seem genuinely concerned about how their Dad is doing (although, I apparently still don't know anything). Kevin, that sucks that you still aren't running. Keep your head up. Eliz, How exciting that summer is almost here. Do you enjoy the concerts? I think that's what I would look forward to. Debbie, you lost your server, I lost my marbles. Linda, It sounds as though you are progressing very nicely. Yay! Laurie, Sorry you are feeling sick. Why would you run through the illness? Are you in a competition to win some money or something? Stay home and take care of yourself. 3 miles for me this morning. I'm starting to feel as though I'm gaining my aerobic capacity and muscle stamina back after my time off. I'm currently waiting for the background check to come back before I can schedule a start date in Tennessee. It looks as though I may be moving sometime in May. One neat thing about this job is that my best friend from the navy is also interviewing for a job at the same plant. It will be wonderful to live close to him and his wife again. Hey to everyone else. Cheers Mike
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Eliz, thanks for the good vibes to those of us with 7th graders! Eek, I'm about ready to throw mine out. He had a big Spanish research paper due today. Of course, he didn't tell me that last week during vacation. Sunday night, he finally did, and said it was to be written in English. Last night, he informs me that he found out it had to be in Spanish! So an hour later, I asked him what he'd accomplished, and he'd written down about 10 vocabulary words to use in the report. Sigh. By the time he'd done that paper and several art sketches, it was very late and he was a bear this morning. When I was in Texas, I talked to a friend of my sister's. My sister's a special ed teacher, and this woman works with kids with attention issues. When I described my son, she said it sounds as if we should have him evaluated. She had a good point - when I told her DH didn't want Cory "labeled," she said, "Oh, he WILL be labeled - as lazy, stubborn, frustrating, etc." I hadn't thought of that, but she's right! Now I have to convince DH... As far as running goes, I ran 6.1 miles yesterday and 5.1 miles today. I got in 116.4 miles in April, another PR (barely). I'm hoping for 30 miles this week, and then I will take an easy week next week, before my Mother's Day 5k. Happy Running! Teresa

Me

Wow Teresa. Great job on the mileage. that's terrific.
                      Bailing on running today. I'm really exhausted from last night's concert, another music dress rehearsal this morning, and a drama rehearsal after school today. Hatched a plan to do a trail run at Valley Forge Park tomorrow between school and the concert. I'm pretty psyched! Haven't been there since about 2nd grade (even though I've worked about 15 minutes away for 8 years!) and have never run on a trail before. Laurie - no clue about next year. Have to pretty much live day-to-day just to get through the next few weeks 'til the end of concert season, although I do peruse a few relevant web sites daily. I read Dr. Phil a while ago. Am now into Martha Beck's "Finding Your Own North Star." Her writing style is just hysterical sometimes and I like her advice. Believe it or not, there are some good reasons to stay put job-wise, but if I do, I need to get serious about putting some balance in my life. And being intentional about making music for myself, separate from work. Mike - love the description of your now-grown kids. Sounds like you did a super job with them. If it's any comfort, my mom still thinks I treat her like she doesn't know anything! One of the cool things about my job this year is that the kids I first knew at 5th graders are now seniors. It's nice to get to see some of them and realize there is intelligent life after middle school for most of them. Smile Teresa - you're a mileage maniac, girl! Keep up the good work. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Rindaroo

Funny how a few of us have 7th graders. Teresa - What are you expecting to get from a diagnosis? medication, being put on a IEP plan because he's having a some organization problems. I don't know, why don't you try a tutor - I hear that there are study skill tutors. We are going to figure out how to get that going. My son was diagnosed with ADHD in 1st grade and was on medication for 6 years. It did wonders for the hyperness, and focusing when he was little, but it was extremely hard on his body. He has now gained 40 pounds in 1 year since he went off meds & is a normal weight - the meds made his stomach hurt all the time & made him not grow very much. Now its more the lack of organization, study skills, listening, etc.. like a normal 7th grader, but on a bigger scale. I have always fought an IEP plan because than they are labeled special, and that brings about a bunch of other issues, social and otherwise. I believe my son needs a little help figuring out the study skills, organization & planning, and some responsibility too.. my main focus is helping him become a functioning adult at this point. Sorry, I don't mean to bombard you, but I just wanted you to see another viewpoint. It sounds like your son is getting the work done on time with some struggle. I wish I was in your shoes honestly. I find out about the assignments after they are late and not turned in. The kid is an A/B student but has gotten C's & D's because of missing work the last 2 trimester Sad He's driving me completely nuts, I tell ya. His 'tude was better first trimester & he was actually on the honor roll... but I think 7th grade is quite the adjustment for kids. I'm trying to remember that. Eliz - how cool about seeing the transformation. it actually happens?? lol so do you see a big difference between boys & girls in middle school? I tell yo my 7yo DD understands, handles things much better than my 12 yo.. it is amazing.
                          Both of mine still go crazy on Sunday night realizing they still have homework to do. Its been the family rule since day one that all homework gets done on Friday after school before anything else. But they still forget. So theres living proof that girls can be just as disorganized. Eliz, why do the schools always make so many commitments at the end of the year? My daughter is going crazy with concerts now but it was quite throughout the school year. You would think they would spread them out more. Which relevant web sites do you go to? I was able to workout and run the treadmill yesterday. Cold is finally gone. I guess I didnt have it that bad. Only a week. Mike, no contest, I am just stupid. There are days when I just feel yuck that I run anyhow and was glad I did. Just trying to figure out where to draw the line. Laurie

Hey, Teresa - was just looking at the Intrepid Racers thread - your HM is the same day as the Philly Distance Run. Now I'm feeling even more peer pressure to make it my first HM. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Me

Good morning Everyone, 3 miles this morning. I've felt really good this past week (no achilles problems), so i'm going to add another mile to each of my runs. Laurie, I'm glad you are feeling better. I wasn't trying to say that you were stupid for running through it. I just think I would have taken the day off. But then again, that is one of my faults that I constantly battle; my willingness to sit down when I should be pressing on. So, it looks like I'm flying to Tennessee next week to get a physical and sign some paperwork for my background check. I asked them to schedule enough time for me to drive around the area and check it out. Big grin Cheers Mike
                              Teresadfp

One day at a time

Rindaroo, for some reason I missed this thread for a couple of days! Thanks for your comments about your son. A tutor might be a good idea. I'm just tired of being frustrated with him all the time, and losing my temper! It seems like it shouldn't be this hard. I'll talk to DH about it some more, I think. Eliz, it would be cool for us to run the HMs the same day! We could think of each other while we're running, in order to spur us on! I'll keep pressure on you to run it! My runs so far this week: 6.1, 5.1, 10.0, and 5.0. I was excited that my 5-mile run today was so easy, the day after my longest run ever. My body is definitely getting stronger. Have a great weekend! Teresa