Masters Running

The Monday Daily: 3.27.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s sensational workouts:
    RunnerKSA (4 mile final run in SW Florida, for now)
    C-R (4.5 exploratory miles on footpaths and bike ways in Germany)
    Henrun (first 5K in over a year in beautiful weather and on a new knee)
    BerthaSlayer (half marathon - happy, even without a PR)
    Catwhoorg (11 VOX2max, sinus-clearing TM miles)
    Rochrunner (gym workout)
    Twocat (3rd place AG in a shouldn’t-have-been-postponed 4-mile race)
    Pfriese (3rd place AG in the A2A Half Marathon in 1:49:39)
    Holly (14 miles in windy, chilly mizzle, then another 5 on the TM as it rained outside)
    Mike (EZ 6 miles)
    Mariposai (5 miles on a running date with the Easy Pacer)
    Marj (5K [with Henry] with a LaT sighting)
    Spacityrunner (3.5 miles around the hillaged hood)
    Evanflein (10.2 miles with hillage and a fine foot but a complaining calf)

Looks like a great place to run, C-R. Thanks for the photos.

Congrats on your first 5K with your new knee, Henrun! Too bad that your and Marj’s numbers got mixed up. I hope Marj’s extended family will be OK.

Nice mileage on your TM, Catwhoorg - yep, a good investment.

Great photo of a focused runner, Rochrunner. How was Tribee’s race?

Twocat, congrats on your AG award, but I’m sorry for the bad weather and organization at your race. Unanticipated things happen at races, but good communication can help everyone deal with them a lot more comfortably.

Evanflein, sorry about the typo. I have a feeling that no matter what more I try to say about fat/flat, I’d just be putting my foot further into my mouth, so I'm going to just veer away. Maybe you need to warm up your news shoes before wearing them on chilly days? Shouldn’t be necessary, but who knows? I’m glad the NBs are working better. And I hope you got in a good run yesterday.

Congrats on the AG hardware and the way5com sighting, Pfriese.

Good move to move the third half of your run inside ahead of the rain, Holly.

I hope you enjoyed the post-running date movie and buttered popcorn, Mariposai. You’ve earned a break. And I hope that you and the EasyPacer and the Twocats enjoy your wee marathons and halves in Ireland.

I made a beef stew with mustard and cognac yesterday. It took a few hours, but we had it for dinner and DW said she liked it, so what else matters?

The overnight forecast was for freezing rain, with below-freezing temps and more rain this morning. So, even if it wasn’t my SRD, I decided early on that I’d stay in and skip my workout this morning. When I left for the office this morning, it was just a few degrees above freezing, and there was more than a mizzle out there, so I'm satisfied with my call.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

C-R

Hi Jay and all to follow.

Seems like a good call. That kind of weather makes for treacherous roads = injury.

Got a nice 4 1/2 at lunch exploring some new trails. These are mainly used for walking paths, light logging and farm equipment movement (the equipment here is much smaller than US). Fun for running as long as you can steer clear of the tracks.

Nice racing this weekend. Glad the knee held Henry and last or not, you were out there while a bunch of 20 somethings were playing video games on the couch.

Cheers or rather Tschuss.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Dave59

54° and dense fog this morning. 4.59 miles at the park. They opened the gates today which means there can be cars on the roads but I no longer have to squeeze around the barriers.  They close the gates for the "winter".  I don't know why, and for them winter goes from about 11/1 to 3/27.

I like having the gates open. No cars there at 6:00 AM anyway, and I don't have to walk in the mud around the barriers.

2.6 miles before work back in Tennessee.  Tired from getting home late from Florida.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Glad the knee held Henry and last or not, you were out there while a bunch of 20 somethings were playing video games on the couch.

Well said!

Our town built a nice bathroom building down by the river where I run.  The trouble is, it is never open when I run there.  I haven't actually figured out when it IS open.  And because they built that, there are no longer port-o-potties that used to be there.

No running for me today, swimming instead, 44 times across the pool (1100 yards) and about 20 minutes of weights and core.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Well, glad I went to the gym this morning because I just ran my LAST 2.2 miles on the treadmill for a long time, a very long time.

Went to the ortho today for a follow-up from the MRI - have a small labral tear which we suspected, but that's not the real concern. I have a stress "reaction" on the femoral head. It's possible it's already in the healing phase since I have been able to do more, but he said by the way it looks right now he recommends no running for at least 3-6 months and no extra weight bearing exercise at all for now - no squats, no lunges, no carrying grandbabies up and down stairs, not even intense walking. He said my job alone is putting enough stress on the hip joint and any further could lead to a fracture if I don't let this heal properly. I want to scream and cry!!! I know in the big scheme of life this is minor, it's not cancer, it's not life threatening, it doesn't even require surgery if I do the right things, but it is so darn frustrating!!!! I am going to have a pity party for the afternoon, but then I have to move forward - I can swim, bike (altho not intense hills or standing on a spin bike), yoga, upper body strength and I am going to have to tighten my nutrition and clean it up. He did also mention some concern about calcium and VitD absorption that he wants me to discuss with my primary care.

OK thanks for hearing me out. Time to focus on a new game plan.

Twocat - sorry but I am definitely out for the relay at this point.

denise

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 recovery paced sweaty and humid miles.

Should storm later and clear the air a bit

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

dg.

no time to really read & reply but Holly says it's ok to post anyway  :  )

thought you'd all get a smile from this picture.... this is the friend I mentioned.  Ran her first marathon Sunday, the last 2-3 hours in heavy, heavy rain.

....looks like I can't post it.. it copied & pasted nicely but then disappears.  it's on my computer, not on the web.     well.  she's smiling.

beyond that... a quick woohoooooo to Henry & his new knee!

&...aw gee, Deez.    (3-6 months???)   I know you'll get through this but it's hard, & the timing stinks.  I'm so sorry to hear about Justin, but am proud of him for taking the initiative to get help.   ((((( )))))

5 this morning with slopage.

Tramps

Hey.

Great racing weekend.  Congrats to Dave, Roch (and a nice pic) , Lori, 2cat, and Paul. And a special shout out to see Henry racing again!

Mariposai--great run and awesome photo (again!).

Deez--so sorry to here the diagnosis. Being safe makes sense, though. Sounds like time for a new training plan focusing on what you can do.

(dg--photos need to be online somewhere to post...Flickr, Photobucket, etc.)

Just got back from our long (offline) weekend away.  This was a sprint tri (the shortest, with a 5K run) and a try-out of sorts for TriBee, who's continually dealing with back issues.  She--and her bike--did great though.  She got second place in her AG and was just one second behind first!  Most importantly, her back did well enough and she's going to move on to the "Olympic" distance (with a 10K run) in a few weeks.  She'd hoped to maybe do a half-tri (with a half marathon) but isn't quite confident enough that her back can take the training yet. Seems prudent to go with the "Olly." We rented a nice little rustic cottage at a state park and I ran some trails Sunday (13 miles) and roads this morning (6).  Tomorrow, we're off to Baltimore for the rest of the week for a work conference.

Meanwhile, Spring seems to have sprung for real over the weekend. Leaves, grass, flowers, trees, are all exploding.  I'll have to get the lawn tractor out of storage this weekend; the grass is already long enough to cut.

Have a good week.

Be safe. Be kind.

deez4boyz so sorry to hear you are sidelined for 3 to 6 months. I know what a drag that is. But, from experience, I can tell you that you sort of get used to the new routine. Just let it heal. As for the relay . . . never say die! The relay is at the upper end of that 3 to 6 month window. Be nice to your body and you will riding in a van runnin with the rest of us!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

Afternoon all.

Thanks for the summaries & observations as always coastwalker. Always a pleasure to read & see what I might have missed from the previous days thread.

A nice easy 6 mile recovery run around town for me this morning. Feel great after yesterday's race.

Paul

Howdy Do, Folks - Not sure what the issue has been, but until today I haven't been able to post while at work (hmmm . . .).  I could get into the area to post, but nothing would show up.  For some reason it's working again.  Go figure . . . .

{{Deez!!!}}  I'm so sorry!  Wish those words were more comforting, but I feel your pain.  Many of us do.  Dang it.  But as Tramps said, focus on what you can do and hopefully it will soothe the pain (mentally, emotionally, and physically).

Tramps - Congrats to TriBee!

Henry - Yay for a healed knee!  And as stated by C-R, you did more coming in last than all the couch potatoes.  Did you get an award for DFL?  I'm still a proponent of there being a DFL award, no matter what race.  I would've "won" a number of them in my running career to date. 

I finally got tired of not doing anything and did about 30 min of core/upper ST this a.m.  So far nothing seems to be overtly irritated, but you never know.  This bursa is a fickle thing.

Yesterday I volunteered at a local 2-mile and 5.5-mile race in the Arcata Community Forest.  Even though The Forest is like a second home, I've never run this race, but this is my 4th (?) year volunteering.  This year is was letting people in the bathrooms (I called myself the Pied Piper of the Toilets) and writing down bib #'s and times at the finish line.

Showed up at 9:00 and left around 11:30.  In the meantime, because it's cold, I'm blowing my nose and such.  I get in the car to leave and look at myself in the rearview mirror . . . and I have a booger hanging off the end of my nose!  And it's not like it's not obvious - it's there!  But did anybody tell me?? No!  How long had it been hanging around?? Who knows!  And no, it wasn't a recent dangler, because almost the whole time I'd been dealing with a running left nostril not a right running nostril and it was attached to the right.  And I talked to at least 3 people from the point of the last nose wiping.  Geez, people!  I'd tell you if you had a booger hanging out - or as someone else said, a bat in the cave.

And on that note, have a great week ~~ 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...howdy.....

too wet to hit CityPark Trails,

so

50-min on GreenWay

worked on Technique,

kept a little bend in the knees,

and did a heel & toe push-off uphill

TheBack

will let me know how I did

...............good running to the rest of ya.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

I'm just dying laughing here, Leslie! Not at you, of course, but the situation! I hate it when something like that happens! Almost goes with tucking your skirt into your pantyhose or having the dreaded toilet paper stuck to your shoe! 

NOT laughing at what Deez is going through, though. I'm thinking the 3-6 months is being extra cautious though, and you'll be so much better in 2 months. I'm betting that the outside will be more like 4 months. Do take the Vitamin D though!

Yay for TriBee and her back! Sounds like you guys had a fun weekend.

Hi Dg.!! So glad to see you here again.

Woot on the race, Henry! And a LaT sighting to boot! So happy to see you getting back to what you want to do with that new knee.

Ok, off to the pool. I figured after yesterday's tired-legs run and the wonky calf (which feels fine now, btw), another Monday of pool running was called for.

ETA: 30 minutes pool running done.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

welcome back, henry's knee.

. . . her first marathon Sunday, the last 2-3 hours in heavy, heavy rain.

....looks like I can't post it.. it copied & pasted nicely .

No problem, dg, I kind of know what it's like, e.g.

the six hour deluge in my avatar. .

However, the only way I could photo post would be

to get a picture e-mailed to me and then copy/paste

but nowadays it disappears right away too,

Easy picture posting was one of the initial RA features

differences I liked better than CoolRunning.

However, great story leslie's nose.

As you know from your trail running,

nobody cares, . . . though I probably

would have said something if it was

at the finish so I doubt that it

was there so long as you think.

Glad men don't have anything like that

we might not know about and nobody tells us.

Tough luck deez but you got it right, though, in the grand scheme

of things, especially since you can bike, swim, etc. that others

may not have even been able to do in their even longer

recovering.  Take hope from henry, twocat's, etc.

Five miles with off-and-on violations of the First Rule of Running

this morning but, since it wasn't when I started,

it doesn't count.  Whew.

ps jay - as you indicate, neither flat nor fat apply . . . .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)