Masters Running

It's Friday! 1.29.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Tet, I have a rough idea of my cadence at different paces: 165-ish will be around 11:30-140 pace; 170-ish will be in the low 11s, and 170-175 will be in the high 10s. I try to keep my stride length the same, although I wouldn't be surprised if I shorten it up just a scootch at the higher cadences.

Tammy, congrats to you, and to David for his successes on and off the track.

Great news about Lucy, Ribs.

TW, be patient with the racewalking thing - you are teaching your body to walk differently from the way you've walked your whole life - it takes a while, but you'll make progress every time you are out there. It'd be great to walk with you, but I don't get to Knoxville all that much. But when I do, you'll be getting a call...

Laurie, sorry I can't help with marathon training, but you've got plenty of experienced and smart people here who are giving you some good advice. Good luck!

RCG, your shins hurt when you try to walk fast because those are muscles rarely used. When we walk fast, we tend to (intentionally or not) keep our toes up just before our foot strike, and that engages your shin muscles. Tracing the alphabet with your feet helps to strengthen your shins, and doing an easy 1/2mile warm-up walk can help too. Walk more and as the muscles get stronger, the discomfort will disappear. Sorry about the nighttime pain in your feet. Could it be dehydration?

Have a great 'surprise' vacation, Deeze!

I'm picking up our niece from UConn this afternoon. She is coming to our town's all-day deliberative session tomorrow (she is a legal resident and sponsored one of this year's warrant articles, and so will be there to explain it and answer questions), and to help with prep work for Sunday afternoon's party. Our guests have been instructed to wear 'wacky' hats, and there will be teams formed, additional props provided and photography involved. Our niece will be the official photographer.

I did a 10K for my workout this morning in 32F temps and under overcast skies. I worked hard yesterday morning, so I backed off a bit today until the last mile, when I got my cadence up to the low 170s and averaged 11:09. Except on my very easy days, I always like to finish a workout strong - I figure it's good race training.

Have a greta Friday and weekend!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

King of PhotoShop

2.5 slow at the park with the Saint on a clear, warm morning. Will hit the 70's today here.  We're going to race a 5K tomorrow at one of our clubs.

For years here I've posted about the park where we run, and some of you have joined me there on visits.  It's all being torn up and remodeled for about $23 million in borrowed funds.  There will be little improvement to the park usage but it will be more modern and attractive, and in my City the focus on property values, school systems and winning awards for best places to live, are very important.

But right now we're all like forest animals trying to figure out where to go when the woods burn down.  I am so attached to this park.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good luck on the park renovations.

Two years ago, it took them eight months to pave

over a dozen cherry trees in a pocket park across the street.

oh well.
        Clearing afternoon skies yesterday afternoon had me looking forward

to a running commute this morning into the western moonset.

Nope, five drizzling-to-rainy morning miles.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Good morning friends and thanks for the congratulatory comments. We had a fun evening on Wednesday. Sadly, in less than 24 hrs, the prevailing emotion amongst our close-knit running group did a 180 as a very dear to us all, ultrarunner in our community, has gone missing. He went for a short hike yesterday morning in the mountains above Ashland and has not returned. His wife of just a few yrs is an amazing pillar of strength and the running community is like none other - they've assembled and organized search parties to cover every inch of the area he went to, along with police dispatched S&R teams. I'm not sure what time S&R called off last night, but several runners were out there til around 2:00 a.m. and resumed again this morning at 7:00 a.m.  Hoping for good news today.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks!

Ribs - that is a bummer, especially is this is probably the nice running weather down there.  Why couldn't they do that in July?  I would be very displaced if they tore up the bike path I run on in my town.

Tammy - I sure hope they find him safe.

This morning, while running on the bike path by the river in the predawn darkness, I was nearly run over by a motorcyclist illegally riding on the bike path at high speed with no lights on.  This is the second time this has happened in the last couple of weeks with what I assume is the same motorcyclist  I couldn't see him until he was almost on me and I practically had to leap out of the way.  I wonder about the folks who walk their dogs out there in the early morning.  Jerk.

7 miles for me this morning in 29 breezy degrees, followed by 30-40 minutes of weights and core.

Happy Friday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Ribs, I would be so very cranky if lakes Park got torn up, that's just sad.  Thanks for the book tip!  I'm reading Once in a Great City by David Maraniss.  NYT Review

If I threw balled up sox at the kitkats in the night,  my two would think "O good, she wants to play!" and start tearing around.

Brilliant!  I get to run with the whole Rosie fam!

Keep us posted on the lost runner, Tammy.

Holly, you need a retired good citizen volunteer who will park their car near the bike path, camera ready to get a photo of the errant speedster.   You be careful, as I bet my first idea isn't going to happen .

Cut my run last night to just 4 miles as it just wouldn't stop raining, and you know how when it rains at night, it's darker than usual.  And just 6 this am.  Looking forward to tomorrow, which should be dryer and maybe even coolish.  This is supposed to be dry season, but it hasn't been so far and may continue in this vein.  At least I don't have to scoop it!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Tammy - Who's the missing runner?  I'll be keeping him in my prayers.  Hopefully, he simply got disoriented and is staying put until he's found.

Holly - I'd call the cops and alert them to the moron before he ends up hurting somebody.

Tet - Paved over a bunch of cherry trees??  Was this a beautifying project??

Ribs - Boo hoo!  about the park.  Hope the improvements are worth the time, money, and anxiety to the runners.

Jay - Pictures.  Pictures, pictures, pictures.

SRG - Duck walks and toe raises also helps strengthen the shins.

A late evening with some lady friends (well, late for me) and too much Mexican food led to me sleeping in this a.m.  The salsa was soooo good, I was still experiencing it this a.m., even after brushing my teeth.   I was contemplating swallowing a tube of toothpaste to see if it would help. Instead, I opted for adding coffee to the mix.

22 trail miles on tap for tomorrow, sans new running friend.  She has the audacity to be going out of town with her sister to get a new pup.  Some people, I tell ya! 

Have a great weekend, friends ~

MTA - Howdy, Aamos.  We posted on top of each other.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, it's Todd Ragsdale. Maybe you've heard the name? I know he's run SOB - he pretty much runs all trail races and ultras in the area. he's now been out there 24 hrs and was only dressed for a short day hike/walk. there are 12+ teams scouring every possible trail and off-shoot from where his car was parked, helicopters in the air, etc.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks for the update, tammy.

do they have any SAR canines in the area?

i think any dog would be okay; they can sense a lot

With all the weather you've been having down there,

let's hope it a twisted/broken something and they get him out today.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

...jay//.....yeah, it's a little easier today

I've decided to go for ''Smooth'' and forget ''Fast'' and whatever else I was trying to do

===========

.40's

60-min street  RW attempt

..............off to knoxville tomorrow to take Claire out to a German Resturant

this could get interesting

............................good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

TammyinGP

I believe they do Tet. They've requested that no one bring their dogs up there who are helping with the search and I believe that is because SAR dogs are there. He's now been missing 27 hrs and that is not good. He was not dressed nor equipped to be gone for more than a couple hrs and even though we are fairly mild down here (mid 50's during day), it's very wet and rainy, so doesn't take long for hypothermia - especially if he slipped, fell, got knocked out or otherwise unable to move.

Tammy

moebo

Tammy, I am so sorry to hear about your ultra friend--I hope he is found safe. Also, I have been wanting to congratulate you and your son on your awards--very cool!

Holly, that is scary. I had to jump out of the way for a bike this morning, but at least I was able to see him coming...

Jay, I drove right past the UCONN exit on my way to NH this afternoon, too! It sounds like you are gearing up for a wonderful time this weekend.

A little too busy to post this week, but I have made it out a few more times. 5 this morning on the bagel trail, but no sightings.

Good night!

evanflein

Tammy, I sure hope they find him, and soon. As experienced as he is, you can't help but think something happened to him to keep him from coming back.

Holly, we have that problem here with four-wheelers and motorbikes (like dirt bikes) on the bike paths. It's not that you can't see them (not dark in the summer) but they kick up dust like crazy, and throw rocks all over the path. I don't know how anyone rides a road bike on our bike paths in a lot of places, all those little rocks are just waiting to give you a flat tire! The highway department comes out in spring/early summer to sweep the paths, but in two weeks they're a mess again. In the winter, it's snowmachines chewing up the top couple of inches, making it almost impossible to run on.

GL on your 22 miler tomorrow, Leslie. I hope the weather cooperates. You still getting rain? Must be hard when you get so much rain: you really need it, but don't want it when you have to run!

I took the afternoon off, and ran 8.8 miles in nice mild temps today. I usually run that sort of distance on Saturday, but had the time and the nice temps today; tomorrow will be a little cooler but still not bad. I'm aiming for 15 on Sunday, so we'll see how that goes.

TammyinGP I too will keep my fingers crossed that they find him and in relatively good shape. It has happened before. People fall and slide away from a trail, break something and cannot move. Hopefully, that is the case here.

I think I am going to throw in the towel on my New Orleans marathon. Earlier I took off a couple of weeks from all aerobic exercise. My foot felt great, I tried running and no go. This time I am going to see if a full month off helps. No running or hopping on the elliptical until March. Such is life.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Twocat}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."