Masters Running

Sundaily, 4/7/2019 (Read 43 times)

Joe618

On Saturday, much fine running and assorted other goodness.

Steve got us started with a 6 mile run with the dogs in icy/muddy trails, rewarding all with ice cream this time.

Coastwalker gave back to the sport with 6.45 miles of indoor race walking instruction.

fatozzig checks in

Jlynne did 6.75 sluggish feeling miles, plus a gym workout and hoisted lots of candy.

Tramps ran 4 miles and picked up more trash.   You inspired me...I picked up quite a bit of trash on my run this morning!

Twocat continues good progress on the recovery front with 5x1000m repeats.   Impressive!!

BTY was Better Than Yesterday and tells us of much excellent swimming and thinking about swimming.

RunnerKSA was gear-down for a runway 5K and was pleased with the race and the cookies.

Anzlo got in 7 miles and is encouraged with training progress.

mrrun burst victorious across the Boston Marathon finish line (oh, wait, you mean the race is next week?) and did 4 miles, also reporting a Michael Dukakis sighting.

Henrun did 3.1 miles, singing all the way in various languages.

tomwhite's knees are better and got in 75 minutes.

Holly cranked out 8.2 miles then hit the road. 

dnaff got in a solid 5 miles, longest for her in a while.   Well done!!

anneb did 9.4 miles in perfect temps on a paved trail in a forest preserve.   Sweet.

Tet weighs in on the philosophy of wearing race shirts in the race..as did others of us.   Inquiring minds want to know.

SurlyBill got in 6.5 miles.

Mariposai gets in a lovely 7 mile run.

Falcon laments Auburn's narrow loss.  He coaches his boss to PT success and runs 5 miles to boot.

evanflien does 10.1 miles as she gets set to mess with Texas. 

spacityrunner was a one-armed bandit at the gas station, hoping to take credit where it was due.

MikeE spent some quality time with his son and a pal doing very muddy Minnesota trails for 11.53 miles   And no more. 

rochrunner biked for 12.86 and had a sundae on Saturday.

Terrific work, all, enjoy your Sundays!   And maybe even your sundaes!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for getting us started Joe.

I won't wear a race shirt on race day either. Unless it's a really nice shirt, I'll only wear it for workouts until it wears out. If I don't like it at all, I'll either not take it, or will give it away.

25 lbs. is a BIG chocolate wabbit, Jlynne! Candy cigarettes? Why?

Thanks for picking up the trash, Tramps. It is a real shame that you have to do it at all.

Joe - terrific photo of you and GS#1!

I waited till I could go out headlampless this morning, and then cruised across borders into 2 other towns for 8.7 RW miles. My well-taped ankle did fine. I have to go buy some more KT tape today.

I also have to spray our barely-emerging daylilies and other flowering plants for deer today. I learned last year that they'll eat anything now, and if I don't spray early and often, we'll have no flowers at all this summer.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Joe618

Got in a clunky 6 mile run this morning.   But who cares??  Temps are getting milder and a LS t shirt is a perfect layer.

Enjoy!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

bioguy

Ran the Salisbury, Maryland marathon yesterday in 4:22:53. Probatwont write a race report. Felt ok till mile 23. Given how poorly this training cycle was I’m not terribly disappointed.

jyst got in from a 12 mile bike ride with Mrs bio. Tailwinds

Thanks, Joe.  Good recap.  Glad you got to cross some boundaries this morning, Jay!

Sometimes the running gods need to remind us who is in charge!  Today's run was NOT good.  The one plus is that I beat the rain- it started just as I got back to my car after 7.1 rough miles.  I was tired (I guess the days of bouncing right back from a 5K to a longer run the next day are over) and my HR would not stay where it should have been.  Got it done, though. 

We are supposed to have our company spring outing (Sounds minor league baseball game/picnic) today and the weather for this even has been terrible every year.  I'm pretty sure we will be rained out and I'm hoping so.  The first year it was so hot people could barely stand it (first hot day of the year), the next year it got rained out in the third inning.  Last year it was 50 degrees with a wind and was just miserable.  Doesn't this sound fun?  Fingers crossed that I don't have to go  in town to get this thing rained out again.

It's our 35th wedding anniversary.  We barely remembered!  We plan to get together with our daughter for a little while (after the game- or the not happening game). 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday, all.  I'm on my day off of my 12 day sojourn in NC.  Of course, the main reason I had to stay over the weekend was to supervise my electricians, who informed me on Friday that they weren't working on Saturday.    So played paperwork catch up and did a little bit of corrective wiring, just to keep my hand in.

And as a special treat, I actually ran this morning!  A whopping 2 miles on the TM, but I didn't die at my burning pace of 10m/m.  Finished up laundry around a trip to Waffle House for breakfast to counteract my run.   Now to see if there's something touristy to do around here.

Nice race, Bio.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Thanks for the start, Joe.

Happy Anniversary, Karen! I hope your 35 years have been as good as our almost-38!

Well, folks -- time for me to wake up to the fact that the days when I could run 5-6 times a week are long since in the rearview mirror . After a good run on Friday and a strong bike ride yesterday, my legs were trashed for today's run out at the lake with the club. And tomorrow my DW and I are planning on a longish (but easy-paced) bike ride. So, 3.8 miles that felt like a lot more walking then running, although with an overall pace of 13:49 it appears better than it felt.

Feeling like Spring is here, I made up my annual list of chores, which looks pretty daunting at this point even though there's nothing new on there. But with 1-2" of snow predicted for Wednesday, maybe I'll postpone "Spring" for a while yet.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Thanks, Roch.  Not every minute of the 35 years has been great or easy, but we are still hanging in there!

Bio- congrats on the race.  Nice time!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618 there can only be one Rule #1. That is why the copyright symbol is there in the running book of official running rules which lists Rule #1 as "No running in the rain!"© <--- See there it is! 

Jlynne that is a BIG rabbit. Before your post I thought the 10 pound Hershey chocolate bar was the biggest chocolate whatever in regular production. But I guess not, since it sounds like that is a commercially produced rabbit. Might make a great chocolate fondue post Easter!

coastwalker man you have my sympathies! Two days in a row with a almost start to the daily.

Went out for a "recovery" run. More like a pathetically slow run. My legs were trashed after yesterday.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...twocat//........Pathetic Runs beats No Run At All.......

Happy Anniversary KSA

==========

Storms all day here

......40-min x-bike......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

anneb

Good day all.

Happy Anniversary Karen!

You guys, I’ve missed nice weather so much. This morning the H and I went to the diner for breakfast so I didn’t run until 10- already 58 degrees! Sure, it light rained the whole time but I’ve decided that the whole rain rule doesn’t really apply once the temps approach 60 (sorry Twocat).

So, a 10k for me in forest preserve again, not many other runners out there. I literally was running along thinking about how much I LOVE running. I’m such a dork.

Really only a couple days of spring expected as temps are to nosedive by Tuesday. Then back to the 40’s.

Enjoy the day 😊

Anne

Marathon Maniac #957

Ran the Salisbury, Maryland marathon yesterday in 4:22:53.

Well done!

KSA - Happy Anniversary!

DH and I and three other couples we know went to a Shadowbox Live show in Columbus last night (sketch comedy and rock-and-roll show).  We stayed the night and I brought my workout wear, thinking to get a run in the morning, but realized this morning that I had forgotten my running shorts.  Well, darn it.

We drove there with another couple, and did not get home until around noon.  I am mostly an early morning runner and pretty much lose my mojo if I wait too long, but I couldn't resist the warm temps (60's), so headed out for a short run.  4.2 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Joe--thanks. Apparently, I've finally found my calling: inspiring people to do yard work and trash pickup. Could be worse, I guess.

Congrats, bioguy!  Bike ride will be a good post-race exercise.

38 mile ride on a picture perfect Spring day.

Be safe. Be kind.

Joe618

Ran the Salisbury, Maryland marathon yesterday in 4:22:53. Probatwont write a race report. Felt ok till mile 23. Given how poorly this training cycle was I’m not terribly disappointed.

jyst got in from a 12 mile bike ride with Mrs bio. Tailwinds

Bioguy, that's terrific!!    If you felt good thru 23 with modest training and went 4:22, that's a solid performance.   Congrats!!   The bike ride is very wise today...low impact but working out the lactic acid.   Happy for you!!

Karen, congrats to you and Ken on 35 years!   That's nothing to sneeze at and we've all had our ups and downs.   Hope you enjoy the time with your daughter. 

Roch, on running six days a week:   I thought those days were over for me as well and had cut back to 4 days per week.   But one of the massive "ah ha"s of using Hansons since early December was that I could hold up, and even thrive, on six days of running each week, even at age 65.   Maybe not for everyone but the way their program eases you into it and creates a lot of variety has made it very possible for me.

TwoCat, I regret my copyright violation of your much-admired Rule #1 !!   I'll restate my views on race-shirt wearing some other time!!!!!

You guys, I’ve missed nice weather so much. This morning the H and I went to the diner for breakfast so I didn’t run until 10- already 58 degrees! Sure, it light rained the whole time but I’ve decided that the whole rain rule doesn’t really apply once the temps approach 60 (sorry Twocat).

So, a 10k for me in forest preserve again, not many other runners out there. I literally was running along thinking about how much I LOVE running. I’m such a dork.

AnneB, I'm a card-carrying co-dork with you on this one.   I've done this many times.    Well said, I'm fully with you!!

Holly, sounds a fun outing, glad you got to enjoy it with some good friends!!

Fun stuff!!!

________

dnaff

Joe, thanks for the recap, fine job!

KSA, happy anniversary, cheers to many more!

I'm breaking my rule#1 which is no coffee after 2pm.  But it is a dreary day and despite nice temps outside it is still darn cold in the house.  The coffee has promised to warm me and cheer me.

I spent a couple hours raking the yard but don't really think I should count that as today's workout.  Yoga after coffee I guess.  Enjoy the winding down of the weekend everyone.