Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 4.24.17 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Sunday’s seismographic workouts:

RunnerKSA (12.1 miles in Naples, FL)

Holly (7.1 morning miles in 44-46°Wink

dg (5.05 tough miles with hillage on a ridiculously beautiful day)

Tramps (11.5 morning trail miles)

Pfriese (8 old-fashioned, sproinky, morning miles in IRC)

Flats (7.5 cloudless miles with rolling hillage)

Catwhoorg (10 TM, rain & thunder-avoiding miles)

Dave (1 hr walk for the corporate team)

Tomwhite (20 min standing X bike while it rained outside)

Spacityrunner (4.5 snake-free trail miles in pic-perfect weather)

StarrRuns (Run around the lake in almost IRC)

CMDan (3.1 miles, too fast to be easy, too slow to be fast)

C-R (8.4 sunrise trail miles with the running crew, leading to sore calves)

Wildchild (10 trail miles in Golden Gate Canyon State Park in sunny 60° temps)

Mariposai (4 heart-pumping miles with the EP)

Evanflein (11.4 sproinkless, good enough miles)

Good for you for getting out yesterday, RunnerKSA, and for the resourceful hydration along the way.

I’m glad you had a good time dining on the train, Holly. Bummer about the furnace, but that is why we have sweaters and blankets and other heaters. I agree that is is much easier to deal with than a broken AC in summertime heat.

Thanks for the extra stretching resources, Tramps. And good quote from Ed Whitock. Good luck with your osteoarthritis. I agree with you that it is important to address issues as they come, but not to get used to looking for them without good cause.

Nice score on the cinnamon roll, Dave. I hope you answered that call.

Good closet purge work, Starr. And congrats on having the purple martins back.

Congrats on the impactful sermon, Mike. I agree that the easiest way to replace your watch band is to go online. I still like to support local (not mall-based) brick-and-mortar businesses when I can, but sometimes that just isn’t an easy way to accomplish a shopping goal. Don’t commit to no more days off before your marathon - take them as you need them, and you’ll be a lot better off.

Isn’t “too fast to be easy and too slow to be spadework” what we generally call ’tempo’ pacing?

Like Evanflein said, Wildchid, you’ll readapt to the lack of oxygen pretty quickly.

Evanflein, I guess it is all perspective, but for me, a 43-mi week would be amazing.

I don’t know why it is that my back doesn’t like yard work, but it doesn’t. And it proved it yet again yesterday when it was complaining loudly after just 2-3 hours of cutting back, digging weeds, picking up more downed branches, and spraying the day lilies that the deer have started munching (they’ve never gone after the lilies before). So instead of more yard work, DW and I went for a very breezy walk along the ocean.

My hamstring flared up again during yesterday’s workout, and stayed flared all day. So I did some more TENS work before bed last night, and took this morning off. So far today, it feels fine. I’ll give it another go tomorrow morning.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

2 1/2 treadmill miles before work-  recovery day.

2.1 treadmill miles after work.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Jay--Sorry to hear the hamstring isbothering you again.

Mike--you must be a helluva preacher. Nice job. And, Erika's right, look online. You'll find more options, at a better price, and save time.

Marj--interesting. A meniscus tear was actually one of the things I suspected...and may still explore with an MRI.  We'll see. The doc's not trying to get me to stop running, just encouraging me to find ways to reduce the strain on the knee, thus the gait analysis, stretch and strength work.

Wildchild--yep, stretches for hips and glutes are among the things I'm now doing.  For example, I'm supposed to do this hip abductor butterfly stretch, which I tried yesterday.

Hilarity ensued.

EZ 6 miler in a light drizzle this morning.

And then there were eight.  RIP Bruins.  Go Caps!

Be safe. Be kind.

pfriese

Ezpz tapering 6 mile run around town.

Paul

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

I missed you guys too!  You are all so nice.  Somebody should have blasted me for not visiting more often!  I'm like the prodigal son, but none of you acted like the older brother.  Wow!  I definitely get where the older brother is coming from...

So I've read the past 3 days' posts, but I'm sure I've missed a lot.  Can someone give me a readers' digest version of the major plot lines?

And I'm finally back to training.   I'm about to create my 20 week schedule for the Marine Corp marathon in October, but until then, I'm ramping up!  Yesterday was a 17 miler on the airline trail. - average 8:30 miles.  Legs were tired after that.  Today was fizzy lifting and spinnerooni.  Deb, the spin instructor, takes requests, so she played Enter Sandman for me.  What a good day at the gym!

So I've read the past 3 days' posts, but I'm sure I've missed a lot.  Can someone give me a readers' digest version of the major plot lines?

....this sounds like it's a job for SuperJay////////////

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...nice to see ya back PBJ.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Deb, the spin instructor, takes requests, so she played Enter Sandman for me.  What a good day at the gym!

I love that song!

Busy day for me, working from home this morning so the stair-bannister-installer could finish ($1971)  and the furnace-repair-guy could fix the furnace ($519) - YIKES!, then went to a Medicaid hearing in the afternoon.

No run for me, swimming instead - 50 times across the pool (1250 yards) and then about 20 minutes of weights. My sore back/waist/hip muscle is doing better, but I figured I should wait a while longer to do core work.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I also missed the weekend goings-on and will try to catch up as I can. I did get out yesterday for about an 11-mile ride with my DW -- her first since last summer since she couldn't ride a bike while recovering from the hysterectomy and then the weather closed in. She did better than she thought she would.

Ran 6 miles today on the Paint Creek Trail, which is becoming a somewhat regular thing on Mondays. If I don't do more than 8 miles, the timing is right to get back home, shower, and then head over for my Meals on Wheels delivery. I'm substituting right now, but it could become semi-permanent since the guy I'm subbing for may be on extended "medical leave."

I've been having a strange knee issue the last few days. It's sore just below (not behind) the kneecap area and I feel it mostly when going down stairs or other walking around the house. When I run, there is no pain whatsoever, and afterward it actually feels a lot better for most of the day. What's up with that? I have no chronic knee problems and this is on what is usually my injury-free leg.

Tomorrow is my weekly ride with the seniors group. I just signed up for a bike tour in early June again, so have to get some miles in between now and then.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

dg.

PBJ,   that's great.   
                      Was it you who had the spin instructor who kept asking you how long your marathons were?   Seems there were 3 fairly close together, & she (?) would say, how long is this one?

Weird about your knee, Doug.

First appt with the new PT together & I think she is really, really good.

Mike I hope your heel's ok.

all for now.

evanflein

Jay, my back doesn't like yard work, either. I used to be able to spend hours in the garden and be ok. Now I have to limit it to 2 hours, and I'll have to work up to that.

Tramps, I have a lot of arthritis in my lower back. My prescription (which I need to be better at following) was for intensive core work including glutes and hips. I would think it's the same thing for knees: work on the supporting musculature when the internal skeletal structure starts failing. From what I recall from my knee issues in a prior (non running) life: quads are key in supporting the knee. Hey... that rhymes! Must be good.

PBJ, can't tell you how much we've missed fizzy lifting and spinnerooni reports around here! Glad to see you getting on track with a plan.

I haven't been running on Mondays lately, but today was just too nice out to miss. Well, that and there's the chance of some rain showers or snow flurries later this week, get my run in when I can! And I feel like I'm every-so-slowly gaining on that pace bunny! I figure 42 miles a week average will do the trick. The helpful goal tracker in the running log says 41.1 miles so I rounded up. Smile

4 miles super easy this afternoon. And mile 2 still felt hard (gravel path, slight uphill).

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Sunday's seismographic workouts...continued:

coastwalker (10.3 hammy issue visiting RW miles.  I hope it's a short visit, too, Jay)

Tramps--feel free to share your stretching examples anytime you want.

Why is PBJ getting all the attention?!  He's been gone forever!  I never left, and I get nothing?  It's just not fair!  (Feel better?)

It's a good thing you signed up for Steamtown when you did, Holly.

Hope the knee feels better soon.  Have fun on the bike ride.

Nice to see you getting your miles in, Erika.

I went 11 miles with 4 x 1.5 miles at "strength" pace.  It did not go well.  My heel is hurting worse than I think it ever has.  Am I concerned?  Yes.  I'll just do the best I can.

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

catwhoorg

Labrat

My daughter spent the night throwing up. So off school and I stayed at home with her AND the baby.

Needless to say I didn't get any working out in.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

spacityrunner

3.3 miles around the workplace to get this week started off on the right foot   Easy peasy pace was just fine with me!  We are predicted to get lots of storms starting Wednesday and continuing on till Sunday.  Hope I can squeeze a run or two in between some thunder and lightening events.

Trails Rock!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

nice to  have you  back pbj.

during your sabbatical my marathons

slowed from between four-and-a-half

and five hours to six-and-seven

and sometimes even more, . . way more.

Other than that, I'm still pretending I can still run

but know I can't but that doesn't stop me.

ps - do you remember to rinse

out the shampoo now before

getting out of the shower

as, unlike some of us,

it still looks like there's

something up there

to rinse it out of.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)