Masters Running

Sunday's Daily 6.4.17 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Morning' everyone.

Saturday's workouts:

Marj (road & beach miles in Cape Cod sunshine)

Tramps (5 EZ morning miles)

RunnerKSA (10.1 morning miles with sun and shade and a snake)

Stumpy (free fishing cross training)

BerthaSlayer (1 streak-preserving mile)

Tammy (10K race - without timing)

Holly (9 miles)

Mike (4 miles)

Congrats to Spinach for 1st place AG, and especially for 183 straight months with a race!

Sorry about my error yesterday, Tammy, and about the lack of timing at your 10K, especially because you think you did well. Nice pic of you and the kids. Peruvian food and wine is an interesting post-race combo.

Good luck with the hip, Tomwhite, whenever you get it done.

Free fishing is good fishing, eh, Stumpy?

Another slow, do-nothing day for Holly.

Starr, we used to love summer Sunday mornings on the front porch with coffee and the newspaper and the windows open and the stereo on. I don't know why, but we never seem to have time for that anymore. I'm glad you had DD look at your leg, just to be sure.

Good job on getting a mower for Eric, Mike. Now, will he use it?

We got a ton of work done at the town forest clean-up yesterday, cleaning up 6 sites, including a target shooting range (illegal), a fire pit and a 'party' pit. We pulled out an old fridge, lots of tires, scrap metal, and bags and bags of gun shells, beer cans, and other assorted trash. DPW loaned us a 1-ton truck and we filled it 3 times with all the carp we collected. A great 1st step to reclaiming our town forest. I covered 3 miles during the process, and was exhausted by the time I got back home.

I was still achy when I woke this morning, and debated whether or not to go out. I decided to go just a couple 'o miles just to loosen my muscles up. But I got to feeling better as I went along, and so did 5.7 RW miles in 48° with a rising sun. I'd love to lay low for the rest of the day, but there is too much to do, and we've got rain coming for the next 2-3 days. So it goes.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

2.6 humid miles.  It felt harder than yesterday's 10.  The humidity was as bad as we've had.  Glad I'm tapering this week.

Glad you felt better once you were out there, Jay!  That's always a nice thing- and not always the case (at least for me....)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning all.  It's a beautiful day in Maine.  Still cool, which probably annoys a lot of people, but very nice for running.  It was a short sermon at the church of the long run this morning, more of a homily, I guess, at 4.7 miles.  Subject was "Hills--Good or Evil.  Discuss".  At the moment, I'm tending towards the Evil, but I hope to revise in a couple of months.

Hope you're not shoveling against the tide in the forest Jay.  (Mixing metaphors as I go)  That's why we can't have nice things.

Nice race, Tammy.  You ran right along with the HS boys, right?

Happy taper, KSA.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I have been told that I am still in recovery mode and that my long run is 4 miles. FOUR MILES. OMG. I sorta behaved and ran 5. Because I had to for sanity sake.

HAve a fantastic Sunday everybody.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Jay, we did a trail clean up last fall. I got a tick bite for my troubles. Freaked me out. But we cleaned up a lot of junk as well. So much tires and car parts and miscellaneous crap. But other than the tick, it felt great to be giving back. Thank you for doing what you did.

Lori

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

flats

turtle runner eximious

Today was a good run. I went to my local park and did my mile loops while watching 4 softball games. I had to stop my runs about 5 times due to popcorn showers. Most of the rain stopped after a few minutes, but the last downpour at mile 12 lasted about 15 minutes and included thunder and lighting. So I hung out in the public restrooms and waited it out. Oh, I almost got hit by 3 foul balls, so that increased the difficulty of my run  13.13 for me the AM.

This is also the first week I kicked that pace bunnies ass! I have been flirting with 40 mpw, but have yet to get there this year. Today, I skipped 40 and went to 50 mpw

#ThatsHowIRoll
              #DontAskMeForRunningAdvise
              #IRunInPuddles
              #IGotWetAndDidntMelt

Michael

Tramps

Nice work in the forest, Jay.

TW--I missed the new hip mention yesterday. We just went through my MIL's second one.  She's recovering well.  Hope yours goes well, too.

Stumpy--Hills are your friends. Period.

Flats--nice mileage!  And I've always been fond of the dancing banana.

Wasn't it nice to see Pittsburgh get thumped last night?   I know they'll end up winning the series but for one night....

13 miles on the trails this warm morning.  Odd incident today: while running switchbacks a small spotted deer fawn plopped down on the trail not 5 feet in front of me.  I assume it tumbled down the hill; it just sort of appeared out of nowhere.  At the same time I could here what was probably the doe move through the woods, though I never saw it.  The little fawn just lay there splayed out on the trail.  I thought maybe it was injured but I slowly backed off as far as I could and watched for a minute or two.  All of sudden, it jumped up and scampered off into the woods, apparently no worse for the incident.  I guess it was just startled and scared. Whew.

Be safe. Be kind.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Stumps - sounds like a sermon for MikeE.

How was fishing?  Looks like jay got a lot of a certain cyprinid!

More coastal cloudies turning to another sunny day. Perfect for runn . . . ., I mean planting some gobou, shiso and mitsuba in the garden.  We'll see.

twocat - hope you and the posies got some of the excessive sunshine we're not that used to in the PNW.  However, I didn't know there was another International Date Line over there too, especially a month long one. Smile

This morning's NPR Puzzle-Master answer - 317,537 - was the name of one of the goddesses, . . . upside down.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Henrun

This morning was sunny and in the low 60's as we prepared to head home from the Cape. But first a relaxing walk along the beachatlow tide. After an alfresco breakfast of egg crepes we stopped for another walk along the Cape Cod Canal- a trail with many walkers, runners and cyclists. A bit of traffic thereafter but we missed the usual Sunday exodus home. Weather was great all weekend though rain had been predicted. Now home till our next trip in 3 weeks.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

This morning was sunny and in the low 60's as we prepared to head home from the Cape. But first a relaxing walk along the beachatlow tide. After an alfresco breakfast of egg crepes we stopped for another walk along the Cape Cod Canal- a trail with many walkers, runners and cyclists. A bit of traffic thereafter but we missed the usual Sunday exodus home. Weather was great all weekend though rain had been predicted. Now home till our next trip in 3 weeks.

3 weeks?  How ever will you survive?  All your adopted kids will be highly disappointed

Interesting nature interlude, just as I sat down for lunch on the deck.  Looked up and saw a deer swimming towards our shore.  I was able to get a little video of it, but haven't figured out how to get it here.  FB is where it's at.  Couldn't make it down the shore fast enough to film it getting out of the water.

more fishing this morning and they're not getting any bigger.  DW and I will be heading down to Portsmouth in a bit for a haunted waterfront tour.  looking forward to it, and the nice dinner I'm sure we'll find around there.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

We got a ton of work done at the town forest clean-up yesterday, cleaning up 6 sites, including a target shooting range (illegal), a fire pit and a 'party' pit. We pulled out an old fridge, lots of tires, scrap metal, and bags and bags of gun shells, beer cans, and other assorted trash. DPW loaned us a 1-ton truck and we filled it 3 times with all the carp we collected. A great 1st step to reclaiming our town forest. I covered 3 miles during the process, and was exhausted by the time I got back home.

Great job!  Your own is really lucky to have you.

Flats - you are so lucky - it NEVER showers popcorn around here, just water and hail and stuff like that. 

Tramps - animal babies are awesome....

Starr - I am also glad that you had DD look at your leg.

4.6 miles for me today put me at 51.5 miles for the week, which is actually the first time over 50 miles in more than two years.  Take THAT, Pace Bunny!

DS has been dating his GF for 7 months now, and today we met her parents, which is a milestone of sorts.   They belong to a shooting range and we went to shoot clay pigeons and then have lunch after.  I really like the GF, and now I really like her parents.  Too soon to say, but if she eventually ended up being our DIL, I would be very happy with DS's choice.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Short post because it is late and I have an early wake up to drive to the airport. I ran 26.2 miles at MP. So did Mariposai. Night!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

catwhoorg

Labrat

Struggled to an interrupted 7 today.

Had a Skype call from my parents midway through and just never felt comfortable the whole time.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Short post because it is late and I have an early wake up to drive to the airport. I ran 26.2 miles at MP. So did Mariposai. Night!

Awesome abounds. Congratulations to you both.

Lori

Dave59

I signed up for an afternoon 5k only because it was a fund raiser for a young mother with cancer.

The starter at the race said it was 88° with a Feels Like of 95°

Garmin: 30:39 - 9:29, 9:58, 10:01, 1:09 (3.12 miles)
                                Overall: 18 of 89
                                Male: 15 of 37
                                AG: 1 of 2  (55-59)  Only in Barboursville, WV can you run in the 30's and win your age group.

3 minutes slower than the 5k last Monday, but the effort was about the same.  I'm such a wimp. It actually worried me to run in that heat.  After I stopped I drank a lot of water and poured a bottle of water over my head.  I kept waiting to see if I was going to fall over or stand on my feet.  Probably my hottest race except for a 4th of July 5k in Houston in 2001.