Masters Running

40s On the Run - March, Lamb or Lion? (Wk of 03/02/08) (Read 465 times)

Getting' us started for the week. So far, March has some in kind of like a lamb. Rained a little yesterday a.m., but since then, it's been beautiful. A bit chilly, but gorgeous. Brian - Congrats for your daughter. How fun! Cindy - All I can say is I'm glad I don't have to deal with all that snow. Very funny that your dogs are like, "What's your problem? Ain't we gonna run???" My knee doesn't feel too bad today. The ice and ibu are definitely helping. However (you knew that was coming, did you??), I developed a nasty blood blister yesterday under an already existing blister. That sucker hurts. I read up on it in my "Fixing Your Feet" book (considered the runner's bible), and it says not to pop it as that will only invite infection. Guess I'll stick another blister pad over it and see if helps. Great runs, everyone!

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

LAMB! Clear and 65 deg. in Indianapolis. I'll take it just like this for the rest of the year, please. TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Mornin' Everyone - I actually got my butt outta bed this Monday morning instead of leaving all my workouts to happen 5 days in a row. Did 5 miles with 5 strides thrown in once I hit the flats. They were suppose to be 5 2-minute strides, but ended up being 3 2- minute strides and 2 1-minute strides. Haven't done those in so long, my body was like, "What are you doing?!?" Wilson thought my pain was pretty funny: Hope you all have a great week!

Leslie
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Hey Mtnchk1 How about that crazy weekend?!?!?!? For those not "in the know!" It was a wild and wacky weekend up here in the Rocky Mountains!!! Dateline: March 1st, 2008. Monument Hill, Colorado. (Ele. 7532 ft) Temperature: 67F Cool Skies: Clear-blue Wink Winds: Light/moderate N/W Smile Humidity: 16% Dateline: March 2nd, 2008. Monument Hill, Colorado. (Ele. 7532 ft) Temperature: 26F Shocked Skies: Grey-SNOW Confused Winds: 25+ mph N/W Angry Humidity: 97% Leslie, Take care of yourself...you're the only you, you have!
            Dateline: March 1st, 2008. Monument Hill, Colorado. (Ele. 7532 ft) Temperature: 67F Cool Skies: Clear-blue Wink Winds: Light/moderate N/W Smile Humidity: 16% Dateline: March 2nd, 2008. Monument Hill, Colorado. (Ele. 7532 ft) Temperature: 26F Shocked Skies: Grey-SNOW Confused Winds: 25+ mph N/W Angry Humidity: 97%

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Indeed! No running for me today, but I went snowshoeing instead...YAY! Great workout for the legs. Smile
                So I get on the little elevator at the courthouse that takes you up to the 5th floor to the Recorder's Office. As soon as I step on the elevator and take a breath, it's obvious someone who just got off left a something behind. Dead Nice. Smells wonderful. Then, just as the doors are closing, they open wide again and a very (emphasis on 'very') good looking young man steps onto the elevator. Now, there is absolutely no way, unless he had the cold from hell that he could not smell the "gift" of the previous rider. However,he has no way of knowing it was from the previous rider, and I am the only other person on the elevator! And there is no way you can gracefully say, "The smell? No, not me. It was the previous rider!" Yeah . . . right. Oh well . . .

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

BTY

WE believe you Leslie. 5 miles along the choppy Hudson River today. Temps in the high 30's or low 40's but felt colder due to winds. Hard to be sure but it looked like the Hudson was flowing North today, as it is both a tributary and an estuary of the Atlantic Ocean. The wind was certainly blowing the top of the river north, but not sure about the current below that. Interesting site, anyway. My two oldest boys had their first day of track practice today. About an hour of stretching and core work after 3 minutes of running indoors to get warmed up. Not what they had in mind...they are going to be SORE tomorrow... Big grin bty

Top 'O the World!

Great Start Leslie! Wilson is your comedic relief? Yep Saph! March is definitely "Bi-Polar" here in CO! Roll eyes my thermometer read 74* on Sat. 3/1/08 - but the wind really picked up after 3pm! (felt like sandblasting, so I aborted dog walk...thought about trying the ski goggles...)....& then temp kept dropping throughout Sunday ~ wind chill hit 7*!! Work schedule crunched w/weather anomalies...~ I'm still trying to figure this out Roll eyes....I'm finally heading out here as soon as I drop Abby @ school for a few....dang! Tomorrow is off-line - DH's Grandmother's funeral (& weather's supposed to be icky...). Thursday should be good...... I may need to get a head lamp & start running in the middle of the night Confused
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Runs with ALTITUDE!

Yep Saph! March is definitely "Bi-Polar" here in CO!
                      Bi-Polar weather?!?!? That's a great way to describe it for sure! Condolences on DH's grandma Sad I hope the weather stays decent for you. ___________________________________________________________________________ I'm gonna head out for a run here in a little bit. Have a great day everyone Smile
                        Had a bit of an unsettling experience this morning. Was about a mile or so into my run. I'm getting close to my turn around point and I see two guys on the opposite side of the street as me. It's a one-way, two lane road. One guy is walking in the same direction as me, the other is standing about a block or so ahead of him next to a car. I get about even with the standing guy and he hollers out standing something. Now, at this point, if I was thinking, I would've just kept going and ignored him. But in my 4:30 a.m., I can't believe I'm out here mind, I say, "What?" He hollers, do you have a cell phone I can use?" Of course, I didn't have a cell phone with me, but I didn't want him to know that, so I say, "Not that you can use." I didn't mean to be a smara$$, but that's probably how it came across. He hollers at me, "F-you. I hope you trip and fall and f-ing hurt yourself." The guy walking up to him must've asked him what he said, 'cause he repeats it, along with a few other choice phrases that I ignored. I kept looking back, and as soon as I figured I was out of his line of sight, I crossed to another street and headed back home. It was very disconcerting, and I felt uncomfortable the rest of the run, and was very glad I had my pepper spray with me. I have to say, that's probably the most uncomfortable I've felt running in the wee morning hours. I'll be changing up my route for the next couple of weeks. That being said, the schedule called for 3 miles jog/run and strength training. Did the 3 in 34:11 = 10:51 pace. Things felt good. Started in Celebrex for the ole knee. Doc wanted to put me on Arthrotec, but my copay was $192. Shocked Shocked I have lousy medical insurance. She gave me free samples of the Celebrex. Nice!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Goodness Leslie! Shocked That's one of the reasons I DO carry my cell phone! (not to loan out, but - just in case of "weirdo encounters!") - which again, I seem to get a little better "distance" running w/a lge dog! not that I don't see weirdos, but they must not want to test the waters of whether she's friendly or not! Wink More Bi-Polar weather going on here today! It was MUCH warmer @ 8am than it is now ('sposed to be in the "peak heat" zone.....) & once again ~~ windy!~~ Mairead & I got in 10.71 miles before the front started moving in though Smile up the big hill & back in about 50* mildly breezey weather...counting walking & everything, avg 13:50 pc....
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

Hey Kiddos,how ya been. Lamb. 65* .partly cloudy.12-15kts sw I am still on mental vacation since returning late last night from St Thomas.DW and I had the time of our lives during our first vacation without kids in over 20yrs! Shocked Shocked St Thomas and St John(US Virgin Islands)are too spectacular for words.I could not come up with enough adjectives(and would mispell half of them)in trying to describe the beauty of the place(will work on pics).4days and 5 nights of bliss went really well.Snorkled every day and got some shorter,faster runs in in the evenings before dinner.Would absolutely recommend anyone visiting there. Knew what was waiting at home.My plan called for my first of four 20 milers.Pulled the first one out today! Yes 20.4m @9:44 pace !! Shocked A little bit sore and tight but flying on endorphines.One more day off tomorrow from work and then back to that dreaded real world Dead

My plan called for my first of four 20 milers.Pulled the first one out today! Yes 20.4m @9:44 pace !!
                              Holy crap! You da man!! PS - The Virgin Islands - That part of the world is spectacular, isn't it? Wished I had a digital camera when we went to St. Lucia.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Top 'O the World!

Holy crap! You da man! DITTO!! Shocked I'm still working on ONE 9:44 mile Big grin wb Joe! Glad you & DW had a fabulous time! sounds like it's been waaay too long.....so, where ya off to next?