Masters Running

F-F-F-F-Friday, 2.12.16 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone! It's a little more 'refreshing' than usual here in New England.

Nice MMTD run yesterday, Slo. Good call to layer up.

Good run w/walk break for you, RCG.

Thanks for the Truck Day explanation, Stumpy, and nice job on the hotel TM. What are you going to do in NJ on Monday if the co. is closed?

It sounds like you and Marj are having fun in FL, Henrun. I'm glad the knee continues to improve.

Good luck with your weekend runs, and with DH, Holly. I hope it is all good.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, WC?

Funny guy, Mike - and a nice 10-miler.

Good starter run and BBB commute, Enke. Sounds like you all have a great weekend planned - I'm sure you'll post photos, right?

Go ahead and write me in, Tet - but if elected, I'll refuse to serve, Have fun in the Valentine 5K!

Hi La-kame-san!

Keep up the good walking, Tselbes.

I know, Aamos - Einstein was right again! Have fun with the Speedsters tonight.

Nice run in the nice weather (for you folks) and sunshine, Evanflein.

Steve - yeah, right...

5.3 racewalking miles in 3F temps with a pretty good NW breeze (-17 WC), under clear, moonless skies. It was a little ( OK, a lot) chiller than I am used to, but it was OK until I turned into a headwind (kind 'a tough to avoid on a loop course). I caught up to the newspaper delivery guy, and he asked if I wanted a ride home. Nice of him to ask, but I was already committed (or should have been...) by then.

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Hey'all

Started the day with 7miles and some change. The bitter cold is really starting to grate on me. 2 more days before we get some warmer weather.

Tomorrows forecast is for negative temps with wind chill warnings and Sunday we could have 3" of new snow on the ground. The long run may be in jeopardy.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Much warmer down south this morining--all of 6°, and only -8° WC, so I didn't make MMTD with my 3.25 miles.  But i did manage to actually over dress a bit.  Probably didn't need the heavy thrermal under the fleece, although it did feel good when I started.  Actual negative temperature due tomorrow, but I think I'll leave those for Erika and wait for (slightly) more moderate ones later in the morning.

ETA--Morning, Slo.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

The bitter cold is really starting to grate on me.

Tomorrows forecast is for negative temps with wind chill warnings and Sunday we could have 3" of new snow on the ground. The long run may be in jeopardy.

I hear 'ya Slo. 7° here this morning with a nice "breeze" of about 15-20 mph, which is supposed to pick up tonight and tomorrow. At least the sun is out and the days are getting longer. Not looking forward to doing 8 or 9 miles on the dreadmill tomorrow. Good luck to you and I hope the conditions are ok for you to get outside.

You were very brave to not take your newspaper guy up on the ride home Jay!

Hey Kevin - shouldn't it be a LITTLE warmer where you are?

Holly - hope things are better on the home front. My DH is mostly retired during the winter and he doesn't have a lot of hobbies (I don't include taking naps as a hobby   Our  energy levels are on completely opposite ends of the spectrum and I know I drive him crazy because I never am not "doing" something. And he drives me crazy because he's never "doing" anything! Winters get to be a little long...

No news on the missing shoe. I really don't mind not getting the shoe back - it was an old Saucony that I just wore for knocking around. But I did have one of my expensive inserts in it, which would have been nice to get back...  Glad everyone enjoyed my experience with the shopping bag tied on my foot!

Total rest day today. I'd like to go see a movie tonight. Anyone have any suggestions???

Slo

Total rest day today. I'd like to go see a movie tonight. Anyone have any suggestions???

I couldn't even tell you what's playing.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Five mile running commute att 49-degrees in first consecutive running days

since November,  under clearing skies but lots of low-lying clouds

preventing any noticeable sunrise until it was too bright and late.
              LaKame-sama: just an idea but, since I know someone else

who’s doing it, maybe you could enter as Barefoot LaKame.

<<<(jayforpresident)>>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!  Bosses away today so of course that makes me feel as if I need to get more accomplished so as not to fall into the clichés......

just 4 this am as I have a %K tomorrow and the marathon Sunday.  Really pretty running last night.  Enjoyed some friends I'd not seen in a few weeks for various reasons.  Everyone's got races these days.

My movie list of ones I want to see includes: Spotlight, Brooklyn, Carol, and The Danish Girl.  And none are prolly in the theatres any longer!

That thing where two people you know who live in different parts of the country and are parts of different pursuits of yours turn out to know each other........one of "my" former AmeriCorps Attys who is now a pre law prof at UMass/Amherst turns out to know Bob Hearn, runner and game theory guy.  She posted about the proof of Einstein's waves of gravity and I referred to a running friend.  She replied: "do you mean Bob Hearn?"  It was interesting.

Stay warm, all of you folks up there in the icicles.

If I had been there, I would have figured out a way to get you and the news guy some hot coffee, Jay.

Going to get back it so I can go for a little walk break in a bit.

Enjoy the weekend!

grins,

A

Oh, the group I'm in over at the 2016 in 2016 competition is in First place this week!!!    We just replaced someone--if you don't post your runs for 3 weeks, you get replaced, so if you still want to join, mosey on over and volunteer, I think.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Slo

Oh, the group I'm in over at the 2016 in 2016 competition is in First place this week!!!    We just replaced someone--if you don't post your runs for 3 weeks, you get replaced, so if you still want to join, mosey on over and volunteer, I think.

We just replaced two of our members and voted on a third. Not sure if he had been voted out or not. Anyway, it has been kinda fun following the team. Keeps me motivated to hit that weekly goal and pull my weight.

...howday//..........back from knoxville last night,

woke up to teens and 1-inch of snow this morning,,,,,,,Crappe,,,,,,

saw Hip Doc

who said I was doing great,

but wants X-Rays in 6-months just to be safe

then

an overdue

Guiness and Grease for lunch with an Old Pharmacy Buddy

then

60-min HHW

and about Froze My Tukus Off

(I'm blaming The Grease)

,,,,,back off to knoxville Sunday afternoon to beat the ''Ice Pellets'' everyone agrees we're getting that PM

yep, Retirement is Relaxing

................................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

then

60-min HHW

and about Froze My Tukus Off

(I'm blaming The Grease)

What, not enough Guinness to mask the grease?

moebo

Hello, all! Glad to see some of the injuries are calming down. I hope it stays that way!

Tomwhite, you definitely seem like a hip replacement success story. Glad you are having so much fun, even sans tukus.

I have thought about joining a group challenge, but I would hate to not make my goal! I had hoped to stay over 20 mpw this year, but I have been finding it hard to stay motivated lately. The roads don't have enough shoulder for me to go out safely early in the morning, and running on the TM feels like such a chore!  I get up early enough, but then I find myself dawdling for so long that I don't have nearly as much time as I need to get my planned run done. Yesterday I barely had time for 4, and today only got in 3.2 . So now I am only at 18.7 miles for the week, and it looks like I might have to stop there. We're leaving in the morning to spend the long weekend in NH, where it's going to be so cold and windy that I may not dare venture out. Oh well, I have enough extra miles stocked up to stay ahead of the pace bunny for now.

On the family news front, I am really excited and happy for DD and her BF. DD has been accepted to two really great graduate geography programs so far (Wisconsin Madison and Kentucky), both with guaranteed full funding (tuition remission + stipends, including one that's a fellowship with no work obligation attached). Her BF just got accepted to a top MFA fiction program (UMass Amherst). Time will tell where they'll end up, but it's nice to know they have such great options open to them.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

32F

A little run/walk with Leonidas into the swamp. We didn't solve any world problems but, we did see a shrewd red-tailed hawk so that was good.

tomwhite, happy to read about the doctor visit, Hip Hip Hooray. Keep the ice to yourself over there in TN.

Reading about husbands and wives not being on the same page makes me feel fortunate. The r.s. and I really enjoy the same stuff. They say opposites attract but, I don't know about that. Sure, our personalites are different but, we both love running and being outside no matter what.

Aamos, I asked him about the gravity do-dah and he said, "It's interesting. I am not a physicist so I don't know that much about it."  I shouldn't call him the rocket scientist because he is an engineer (a physicist's dorky cousin) but, he does work for NASA. Big whoop.

Jay, I liked your walk this morning. Don't we feel tough after declining the offer of a ride?

Hang in there, Slo_.   Spring is around the corner.

Stumpy, are you flying away on Monday?  I am curious about your work.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Moe!

That is SO great about DD and her BF!  I just read a book that had the characters in Madison Wisconsin. Writers teaching there in 1937!  Very cool about MFA and fiction. I say that because DS2 (Stretch) has been working on a piece of fiction for a few years now. I think he would much rather write than work in the field he got his B.S. in last year (Biology).

Keep us posted on DD's decision!  How wonderful that she won't have to fret too much about funding.

And, I forgot to mention.   Stretch is 23 years old today!  At 1848 on 12 February 1993 my third child, second son was born. He is a dear one.

I made two bundt cakes last night. One is loaded with Irish Cream. The other is sans liqueur. A couple of the cousins are under 21...

We're going out to Bonefish Grill before we go to Granny's for the cake. (my mom lives close to town, my sisters and I are all a few miles away from her, so we'll celebrate there so she doesn't have to go back out in the cold.)

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday to Stretch!

Moebo - awesome news!

TomWhite - I love hearing about your progress.

Venting alert - feel free to skip over.....

Erika/Jlynne- sometimes not talking is the best thing I can do to stay in this marriage.  Another "You are a terrible mother, you need to move out so I can raise our daughter right!" lecture is just too much.  Especially from the man who can't be bothered to get off the sofa to actually parent our kids.  On the other hand, I do know that he loves me dearly, works hard, pays his bills on time, doesn't do drugs or get violent, and is generally what you would call a good husband.  He just gets really, really mean when he is angry, and wields cruel words with the precision of a scalpel.  No one can out-mean him when he is on a roll.  It is not worth the effort to argue.

Venting over....

I am annoyed that my back is still so sore, but am trying to be patient.  I do recall that years ago when I tweaked my back it took 10 days or so to resolve, and I am only on day 7.  Hopefully by Monday it will fade to normal.

4 slow and gentle miles on the TM, followed by 15 minutes or so of arms and shoulder weights.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

32F

A little run/walk with Leonidas into the swamp. We didn't solve any world problems but, we did see a shrewd red-tailed hawk so that was good.

tomwhite, happy to read about the doctor visit, Hip Hip Hooray. Keep the ice to yourself over there in TN.

Reading about husbands and wives not being on the same page makes me feel fortunate. The r.s. and I really enjoy the same stuff. They say opposites attract but, I don't know about that. Sure, our personalites are different but, we both love running and being outside no matter what.

Aamos, I asked him about the gravity do-dah and he said, "It's interesting. I am not a physicist so I don't know that much about it."  I shouldn't call him the rocket scientist because he is an engineer (a physicist's dorky cousin) but, he does work for NASA. Big whoop.

Jay, I liked your walk this morning. Don't we feel tough after declining the offer of a ride?

Hang in there, Slo_.   Spring is around the corner.

Stumpy, are you flying away on Monday?  I am curious about your work.

I think you just called me a dorky cousin;-). I'm an electrical engineer for a smallish company that specializes in LNG and natural gas. I do fly to NJ on Monday, just a lot later in the day. I don't feel QUITE as foolish as earlier. Also glad I don't have to pay the stupid $200 change fee the airline charges.