Masters Running

8.3.16 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I don't know about the Hostess Twinkie deal, Aamos, but you sure have a twinkle about you.

Twocat, that huge mass of rain passed to the south of us yesterday, and we didn't get a drop. Sounds like a good ramp-up plan you've got going.

Nice run up Cougar Mtn. (in the rain), Enke. You'll be in fine shape for the race on Saturday, even with Thursday's hike.

Thanks for the racewalking article link yesterday, Marj - interesting reading.

I'm sorry that you're struggling, Tselbes, but good on you for still getting out there each day.

Tet, I ran for about 15 years before I needed foot surgery, which led me to racewalking. I started racewalking by going to a clinic in '04 in Cambridge, MA, hosted by Dave McGovern (who has qualified for and participated in 8 Olympic Trials in racewalking). I racewalk 5-6 days a week, depending...

Congrats (maybe not) on getting a blister where you've never had one before, Evanflein. It could be the socks, not necessarily the shoes.

Hi RCG. It's pretty scary to contemplate that you might have "wrecked" your surgery. I don't know exactly what that means, but I hope it is not happening. Good luck with your shoulder and feet too. Sending good vibes to DS1 for his interview tomorrow. Congrats to DD, and I hope DS2 figures it out.

Good handyman advice, Steve.

After about a mile and a half of racewalking this morning, I felt a few tugs in my right calf. So I backed off for a few paces, and then changed to running and discovered that the tug went away. So I ran easy for the next 2 miles. Then I switched back to racewalking, and the calf was fine. Weird. I averaged 10:15 for my 2-mile run, and wondered what would happen if I switched back to running full-time. But I'm not going there, so never mind. 6.8 miles total in delightful but dark 59F temps with a nice westerly breeze.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Don't give in to the dark side, Jay   Also, based on that article, you were born 100 years too late.

In honor of dg, don'tmake us get out the duct tape, RCG.  Be good and heal.

My FIL time estimate for a project--figure out how long you think it will take, double it, and move to the next unit of time.

1.6 miles in the wilds of NJ.  Not fast, not long, but i made it out as shortly after 5am.  Sucks having to be at the plant at 6:45.  Also sucks that i used my lights for the first time.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

'Allo and g'day all,

Just keep on getting out there, TomS.  What Steve said.  Even if you walk.  And don't forget to let us know how it goes for you.

Stoopid foot, E.--Enjoy your DS (and the berries)

O Rosie.    But big  about the peanut.  So glad I met the parents to be; they're going to be greta.

You know how it's fun to do something you used to do as a kid?  SO last night I went to bed with the baseball game on the radio.  I used to sneak my little transistor radio under the covers when I was a kid in Detroit so I could listen to the west coast games that start at 10 eastern.  I felt as if I was getting away with something......and I fell asleep well before the 8th inning.

........and that also sucked, stumpy.

Hump day.  Bunch of folks in yesterday taking the "entrance exam" (there's a test that includes math and reading comprehension, computer skills, writing ability, etc., given to applicants who make the first cut) so I think I'll be grateful to have a job today.

And of course, there's this, about which I have no comment:

National Grab Some Nuts Day August 3

National Grab Some Nuts Day August 3

NATIONAL GRAB SOME NUTS DAY

There are many “nut” days throughout the year such as National Almond Day, National Pistachio Day, National Pecan Day but August 3rd embraces them. It’s National Grab Some Nuts Day!

These little bountiful nuggets contain wholesome nutrients, have a long shelf life and can be quite portable. They add a nice crunch to snacks and desserts as well as savory meals.  National Grab Some Nuts Day might seem a little squirrelly, but then again it’s the right time of year for it.  Go nuts and grab a few or a lot!

HOW TO OBSERVE

Do not forget to grab a handful of your favorite flavor of nuts today! Post on social media using #NationalGrabSomeNutsDay.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Sucks having to be at the plant at 6:45.  Also sucks that i used my lights for the first time.

Yes, it sucks that it's still dark at 4:30 now. Back to blinky lights and reflective running shirts

Jay - how many years has it been since you switched from running to race walking? Sounds like you had a nice little combo going there this morning. And I could use some 59° temps and breezes if you wouldn't mind sharing.

Hey RSG - what did you do to "screw up" your surgery? Be careful lady, or Holly will be there with her duct tape! Good luck to your DS on his job interview today.

Tselbs - we all have bad days. You've been such a positive force for everyone here, so here's some positive energy back your way. I think this heat and humidity has worn everyone down a little.

Speaking of heat and humidity, it was already 73° at 5:00 AM with a dew point of 69. Can you say "steamy?" 5 drippy, sweaty miles with the Y girls with LOTS of walk breaks and then 30 minutes of weights and core. And as long as I'm still hot and sweaty, I'm headed over to DS#1 and DIL's house to help her spread the 12 yards of bark they had delivered yesterday....

Aamos snuck in while I was writing this. National Nuts Day, huh? Grab some nuts? That could apply to several family members

lamerunner

Greetings! But why oh why am I seeing ads for Donald Trump's book?*#@ Ugh

Not quite fully on the DL, but my knee is very unreliable. It crapped out mid way through a lunch run last week, just after I had finally found the trail from Hubbard park to another park in Montpelier. I did the walk of shame, runner's version, back to the office via road.  Stuck with walking/swimming/yoga the rest of last week. I was able to hike on Saturday, did a nice traverse of Mt. Mansfield's main summits, though the steep sections of downhill were slow and painful, and I was able to run on a rail trail on Sunday. I got an appointment with the knee doctor, but it is not until September. I guess I do limited running and whatever else I can do until then. I am hoping a new brace and cortisone shot will fix me up again.

The good news is that I can bike without pain, or without much pain. I drove to a park and ride part way between Stowe and Montpelier and biked in the rest of the way, about 14 miles, and I plan to take a longer way back on a road with more of a shoulder.  Drivers ar pretty decent here though, much better than in Southern NH.

I hope everyone is well and the DL people heal fast.

...mornin' guys//........here's how I spent 5-hours at  ''The Boils'' yesterday

(which sounds like a Stephen King Novel, but is really an Underground Spring)

http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/albright-special

......my dad was Navy,

and I LOVE Knots

==========

.......back at it today,

Biking and PoolRunning

to make up for Goofing-Off and Having Fun FlyFishing with a buddy

...............good running to ya.....................Jay, always be Suspicious of ''Weird''........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

wildchild

Carolyn

Good morning!  I've been absent lately, but lurking.  My excuse is a good one:  my DD and her fiancee are here for a week!  They're getting married in Seattle on Labor Day weekend, and planning to travel around Europe for a 6-month honeymoon.   After that, they're considering where they want to live.  They're both thinking of more school:  he wants a masters in Electrical Engineering, and she wants a teacher certification. (She already has her masters in Physics.)  Denver is one of the areas they're considering, so they've been visiting schools this week.  Wouldn't that be great if they moved to Colorado? 

I've been running a bit - mostly short runs except for an 18 miler up to the divide last Friday before they got here. We've also been on a couple of hikes.  Yesterday I ran 5 miles, and it started raining halfway though, but it was warm enough that it felt good.

This weekend I'm captaining an aid station at a 100 mile race where I'll have many friends running and volunteering.  DD and DH and D-almost-SIL might come up for the weekend to the aid station, but the forecast looks rainy, so they might bail. I really hope they come, though!

Rosie, what did you do to wreck your surgery?  Good luck with healing and getting some answers about the shoulder and hip and foot.  And good luck to your kids.

Mike - hope the pain goes away so you can run again.  When are you driving to Utah to get Ryan?  Maybe you and Debbie can stay with us on your way through Colorado?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning!  I've been absent lately, but lurking.  My excuse is a good one:  my DD and her fiancee are here for a week!  They're getting married in Seattle on Labor Day weekend, and planning to travel around Europe for a 6-month honeymoon.   After that, they're considering where they want to live.  They're both thinking of more school:  he wants a masters in Electrical Engineering, and she wants a teacher certification. (She already has her masters in Physics.)  Denver is one of the areas they're considering, so they've been visiting schools this week.  Wouldn't that be great if they moved to Colorado? 

I've been running a bit - mostly short runs except for an 18 miler up to the divide last Friday before they got here. We've also been on a couple of hikes.  Yesterday I ran 5 miles, and it started raining halfway though, but it was warm enough that it felt good.

This weekend I'm captaining an aid station at a 100 mile race where I'll have many friends running and volunteering.  DD and DH and D-almost-SIL might come up for the weekend to the aid station, but the forecast looks rainy, so they might bail. I really hope they come, though!

Rosie, what did you do to wreck your surgery?  Good luck with healing and getting some answers about the shoulder and hip and foot.  And good luck to your kids.

Mike - hope the pain goes away so you can run again.  When are you driving to Utah to get Ryan?  Maybe you and Debbie can stay with us on your way through Colorado?

Good spot to use Erika's acronym--DSIL2B

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

[[[mike]]

[[[rosie]]

[[[lamerunner]]

..........wow, we're dropping like flies.......

=================

...ok,

45-min biking

and

45-min PoolRunning,,,,nb, cf,ris

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

..........wow, we're dropping like flies.......

speaking of flies, what's this fly fishing all about?

All's we have up here is salmon and trout fishing.

Otherwise, except for so many trout streams and salmon

in the seas, I'd be doing the same thing as lamerunner,

except in slow motion

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

speaking of flies, what's this fly fishing all about?

...golly tet//.......thought this might Inspire you.........

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TobRxKZpY2M

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy!  I'm here but just buried at work and home as well, catching up.

When my intestinal distress persisted, I went to the doc yesterday and he said it was bacterial, not viral, and gave me an antibiotic.  Feeling much better today.

Pes Anserine Bursitis - is that really what I have been fighting?  My regular doc thinks so, said to ice, ice, ice.

3.5 miles for me today - Yay!  Running again!  Iced after.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

It's kind of hard to type with a my handful of nuts but I'm a gamer.

just got back from a wonderful trip down the Sturgeon River. Actually about three trips and I got to run some great trails with nice views.

i was going to post a picture but forgot how.  Oh well  imagine roaring rapids and me doing cartwheels with my kayak and fancy tricks. That's not exactly what was in the picture but the scenery was great. 😛😛😛

Hope everyone one heals up soon,

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

Good spot to use Erika's acronym--DSIL2B

Actually, I think Holly came up with that but I agree it's appropriate!

Holly, funny that your other doc didn't mention that? This site describes it but it sounds like the rest you've taken should have cleared it up by now? Anyhow, glad to see you running again. Remember the re-entry rules... slow and easy, GF.

Lots going on here, and sorry to hear about the bum knee Lamerunner and Rosie's recovery (or lack of recovery) issues. I seem to be in the "if it's not one thing, it's something else" camp with nothing being very threatening but certainly annoying. I brought different shoes and have a bandage on my blister, but now it's raining and miserable out there. I could run in it, yes, but I can't tell you how sick of rain I am. *sigh* oh well. I'll see if it lets up some by the end of the day. I didn't bring the right clothes for being cool and wet, that's for sure. 

Marathon Maniac #957

imagine roaring rapids and me doing cartwheels with my kayak and fancy tricks. That's not exactly what was in the picture but the scenery was great. 😛😛😛

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."