Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 10.12.12 (Read 346 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Hi Opie - we're going through similar escapades with PBJster #1.  She just finished her application for the National Merit Scholarship (she's a semi-finalist).  Now if we can only get her to narrow down her college choices - she still has a dozen on her wish list.

Slo - sorry to hear about your grandma.  She must have enjoyed the grandma life.

Hi Rosie!

So tomorrow is the Hartford Marathon, but I'm not entered.  PBJ Jr. and I will go to the UConn versus Temple football game tomorrow.  I'm not quite ready to go the distance yet (although I did go 22 last Sunday).  I did sign up for the Palm Beach marathon on December 2nd.  6:30 am start to keep it cool.  That will be my 20th marathon (and first and only one in 2012).

Hope all is well with you.  Go Yankees (sorry Tramps).

aka FlyingFinn

My condolences, Slo.

Happy birthdays to Erika, Soundie, and Opie's DS.

PBJ, good to see you back and running well.

roch, we're winterizing too. The big chores for us are moving leaves when they're all finally down (not yet), and stocking firewood.

5 miles of hills in weather just as pretty as yesterday.

Tonight we're having company, a retired couple of teachers. He taught all three of our kids math and had them for 7th grade homeroom, which was 12 years ago for the youngest. Time flies! He likes beer and she likes sweets so I bought a bunch of different IPA's and made a cheesecake. It's supposed to be cold and clear tonight, perfect for sitting outside by a fire under the stars.

Enjoy the weekend!

Instructions for living a life:

Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.   ~~~Mary Oliver

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

goedemorgen tweekatje

Veel geluk
        Lots of birthdays this month.
        I wonder if anyone did anything special for theirs since last year yet <<<(50/50)>>>
        Tribregger - next to the IM’s, where it’s not even certain to survive, those quarter-mile swim ones are my favorites.  The more standard-distance Olympics are the best for comparing deteriorating ti,..  I mean progress over the years. 
        However, with the run always at the end nowadays, the heterogeneity between runners and swimmers allows us to pass way more of them, to say nothing of over-extended cyclists too, than is ever possible in any pure running event.  No matter what, it’s all good cross-training and exercise. Besides, with Timbo getting distracted by all his girlfr. ., I mean work, injuries, etc., I need someone to post about their triathlon experiences,

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tribregger - next to the IM’s, where it’s not even certain to survive, those quarter-mile swim ones are my favorites.  The more standard-distance Olympics are the best for comparing deteriorating ti,..  I mean progress over the years.

Ha Tet!

Yeah, the Sprint Triathlons are fun.  They're sorta like "spike-your-HR-right-away-and-keep-it-that-way-for-all-three-events".

I'd like to do the Int'l length one in less than 2-1/2 hours but if I'm guesstimating right I'll probably not quite make it.  Unless the stars align and I'm somehow able to run the 6.6 mile run leg in sub-8 minute mile pace after doing everything else before that.  Not likely.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Good luck, Bill.  You got me thinking about "striking while the iron is hot" and I might run the Tucson Marathon.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Good luck, Bill.  You got me thinking about "striking while the iron is hot" and I might run the Tucson Marathon.

Glad I got you thinkin'.  Conditioning, injuries, family and other commitments can throw a monkey wrench into things at any time.  When you're feeling good and feeling strong, go for it!

Bill 

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Oh what a wonderful daily today! Makes me wish I would have run... Veta Louise Simmons and I did go for a walk in the swamp. She was very productive.

PBJ!  I cannot believe PBJster #1 is already looking at colleges! There is a pretty good one just a few miles from my house...

Slo_ my condolences. Sounds like your grandmother was a lovely lady.

WRFB, I sit here sipping a Torpedo Extra IPA. And was happy to read you will discuss Rochester's satellite question off-forum. ha ha ha.

Tammy, It is great reading about David's success. He has a big following here.

Mariposai, I decided not to apply to the job in Newport News because I did not want to make that drive every day. And. I have heard nothing from the L&D job.  I guess a more qualified candidate applied. The web site said they would not contact applicants they were not going to interview. There was no number to call for me to follow-up on my own. I will keep trying to get back into that position, though. I have some ideas.

I have 15 years of gyn and L&D experience. Butt. I have been away from the hospital for 12 years! (Although I have kept my license active)

I hope to run again in the morning.   

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Byll - good luck at your tri!  I have a question for you - I'm working out my spring plans...is Bayshore still a possible RA meet-up?

Mari - my HM isn't until Sunday, but I don't have high hopes for a stellar time.  Mostly I just signed up because it is local and it will force me to work hard for once...Joking

TomWhite - good to hear!

4 easy-paced miles for me this morning in 47 degrees.

DH and I are off to a friend's birthday dinner and then possibly out dancing.  DD has a 9am soccer game, so we probably won't be out late.  Pig roast to go to tomorrow afternoon.  I better run HARD Sunday to make up for this calorie overload!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

page 2

Opie, happy birthday to your DS and good luck to him with the Masons. (My grandfather was one of those)

Paavo!  I want IPA and cheesecake and a fireside chat under the stars.

I keep getting distracted while I type!  Just got the phone call telling me where to be and when... my background check has been cleared and my task is to check people in tomorrow. Can't say much more than that.  I am so excited!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

dg.

ok ok I'll pop in because like Rosie says this is a wonderful daily!

will try to keep this short because (like everybody else) I have So Much Work to do.    and I think I'm supposed to fix dinner. not sure.  

Slo, I'm really sorry.    Another loss.  A little different this time, but still.   Glad you will be surrounded by your family.

PBJ I've been wondering about you.  Glad you're running.    Glad you have a marathon coming up..    how long will this one be?   

Really glad too to see everyone here.   Have been wondering about lots of folks.   like you, breeger!     Have you & Deb been north lately?

6 miles this morning, much slower than I thought!   But it felt good, and included some hills, & didn't aggravate any owies too much.   So I'm happy.

I've thought for a long time that it might be nice to have a sticky thread for the mia (a being relative..).      Could be a place for shoutouts to those we miss, and a place for those not wanting to jump into the daily to say hi.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Breglbil - that extended  0.4 miles to 6.6 instead of the standard 10K Olympic / International Triathon distance'll probaby seem like four miles after more than two hours swimming, cycing, and running, especially with the kind of powerful performance necessary for a sub-2.5hr finish. 

The 0.25 miles supersprint swim this weekend will a good chance to focus on the transitions. I don't know what your equipment and attire are like but, no matter what, you'll be able to save up to several minutes by practicing fast transitions.  Practice when you're real tired from something, doesn't matter what, maybe even wet and sweaty, not cool and calm from the couch or back porch.  Maybe even spin yourself around a couple of times to get the same kind of dizziness that sometimes persists when coming out of extended horizontal swimming and trying to run upright to T-1.

ps - stay as low as possible as long as possible on the drops. It's counterintuitive but I think they fit your bike so there's more pedal thrust than when more upright.  Makes me wanna retire in Florida. Have fun this weekend.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP

Hi Everyone!

Busy day here, trying to get stuff done outside before rain comes, which by the looks of the clouds could be in the next couple hrs. I made a temporary greenhouse cover over my garden bed that has lettuce,spinach and brocolli in it, with some vizquine. DH painted the primer on DS's clubhouse, i shoveled a bunch of decomposed granite, emptied some flower pots that were done, blah blah blah.

most fun was running with bailey and bella this morning. After lying in bed for an extra 1.5 hrs this morning, they finally realized that I wasn't getting up and going to work, which means of course that I must want to take them running. So threw on my running clothes and we headed out. The neighbor black lab showed up this morning also. so all 3 of us hit the trails and got in a few miles. tomorrow is a 10K race for me and a 5K for David.

Yesterdays meet was awesome! David was consistently in 3rd-4th place the entire meet. Then they came down a hill, onto the track and had to do a final lap. He was in 3rd now with about a 4 second gap between the 2nd place guy and about a 6 second gap with the 1st guy. With about 300m to go, he passed the 2nd place guy and ended up finishing 2nd OA, only 3 seconds behind 1st place, who was also a 7th grader, so he ended up with a 2nd place AG and a 2nd OA, and his school got 1st place for the meet. Their girls team once again took 1st, 2nd and 3rd OA. They are undefeated this year. Afterwards, the entire team went out for pizza. good fun! 

Tammy

Mariposai

Tammy, thanks for giving us the updates on David and  his team's races. We love it!!

Well, bib pick up night is over. Now is up early to set up the portable signs on the race course. Just wishing the rain will stay away until the after the race, but since we have not have a drop of rain since June RAIN, just come on down!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sorry Mari...The rain is on the way...raining steadily here now...

PBJ...Wow...It's sure nice to hear from you again.

Tamalina...David sounds like a fine runner....obviously takes after his mom.

Good Luck to all the racers out there this weekend...not me, not yet...till I can beat that slug that keeps passing me...

Gordon

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hey gordon, thanks for the warning. The first measurable rain in 83 days got to Seattle this evening so maybe it'll stay over here and go visit posie-land after tomorrow morning's Autumn Leaf.  Hope enki made it over the passes and comes back with some photos.

speaking of photos, . . . tammmmmmy's ds!!!!!  (tammy in a one or two too would be nice

have fun in your mother-son 5/10K fun runs tomorrow.

I dare david not to pass anyone, if anyone, stil ahead of him at the end.