Masters Running

OT: Facebook Question (Read 427 times)

Many of you are on Facebook, as am I. I wonder if a few of you would post a few comments on what you like about it. Here is what confuses/mystifies me: 1) It is so huge, I don't feel comfortable being as open & honest as I am here. I know this too is an Internet site, but I've met a lot of you, and the issues of a bunch of 40+ runners prolly doesn't attract a huge fringe element. It feels more intimate here and I know from the time I've spent here how genuine you are. 2) How do you find time to do this, Facebook, and then some of you even at other running sites, not to mention other interests, let alone Real Life. 3) I don't get all the sendy things, like snowballs and fish. I'd rather just truly connect with a few people, I guess, than have lots of superficial to and fros. I listened to the Facebook story on NPR this afternoon, however, and know it is hugely popular, with more and more folks joining every day. Help me, what do I need to know to "get" it? Thanks for your time, grey grins, A
    Masters 2000 miles

King of PhotoShop

I'm on it, but I recently revised my privacy settings based on an article I saw in our local paper. I'm also about to defriend a bunch of people I should not have friended in the first place. Now when I get a friend request I warn them in advance, "any religious or political stuff and off you go." Most people reply with good humor, but it gets the message across. That info is also there for the duration, and don't believe for a minute it's only for your friends. A good friend of mine here just posted a link to a great article in today's NY Times that recent changes in the subscriber agreement leaves you pretty much exposed to the world. Google yourself and see your Facebook details for example. I'm also with you on the snowballs, pokes, tags and other stuff. I ignore it all. Spareribs
      xor

Stay away from super poke. BTW, facebook makes 'social engineering' trickery lots easier. You *think* you are protected because you get to choose who sees you and communicates with you, but then you might get a note or a comment from one of your buddies encouraging you to come try the newest facebook app. So you do, and you don't really notice that it just sucked in your whole address book, and then it mysteriously starts sending similar notes to your friends as if YOU want them to come try the app. The latest one I've seen put facebook email in my inbox purportedly from a friend that basically starts with "hey, someone stole a picture of you and put it on this site: (site name here). You should go check it out." If I spend too much time on that site, it starts trying to put tracking cookies and other creepycrawlies on my computer. Anyway, I use it for fun, but I don't spend that long on it.

TammyinGP

I ignore all the 'heart' 'lil green patch', 'snowball fight' etc. type applications. The folks I've befriended on FB are either running folks, highschool classmates, and a few coworkers. The aspect that I've enjoyed the most is reconnecting with highschool friends that I haven't seen or been in touch with for close to 25 yrs. We've had fun catching up. And Ribs is my friend there because it's just one more way to stalk him.

Tammy

Yeah, someone sent me some "candy", I went to the site to check it out and next thing I know we have viruses on our computer. Beware. I don't "get" all the little extras either. It has been useful in a few cases to connect with people that I've lost touch with over the years. And sometimes I like looking at people's photos. That's about it. On the downside it seems to me like 1) a big time suck, 2) a great way to stalk people, 3) a great way to get spammed and infected.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Renee the dog

For me, I play Scrabble, err, Lexulous with friends. Some other friends convinced me to play Gangster Battle, and that's fun, 'cause it takes about 2 min a day to gather my money, war with some folks, etc. Stupid stuff, but fun. As for the snowballs, etc., I just ignore them. Hey, these people are supposed to know me. They know I don't do chain letters, etc. and am generally a grump. Why would I be different and "fluffy" online? Tongue I'm not Facebook friends with anyone on RA, so I have to come here to "see" you guys! Facebook is what you want it to be. It's a bit of a weird experience for me, as my life was very compartmentalized over the years, and it's all colliding there on that site! High school friends. College friends. Former work buddies. I think for me, I needed it, as I'm lousy at maintaining contact. And, no, that wasn't me sending Spareribs politically-charged, religious opinions. Swear.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Google yourself and see your Facebook details for example.
                I'm pretty safe with Google searches on my name, since there's a writer of romance novels with the same first and last name as me - seriously - and any Google hits that are actually boring old me don't show up until about page 8. Besides, if I had the spare time to write, it wouldn't be romance novels: it would be all of that religious and political stuff that people send to Ribs to annoy him! Wink Don't even get me started ranting about "ratemyteachers.com," though! Oy! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Aamos--we are the fringe element Wink I've just signed up and understand very little about it so far. When I did, it went through my AOL contacts and told me which of my addresses were on Facebook. This allowed me to confuse Lou (WRFB) since I had his e-mail from the Women's Marathon get-together last April. DD is horrified that her old father is on Facebook. I've had to swear on all that is holy (there's that religious stuff again) that I would not friend her or any of her friends. I spend very little time there, but will be using it a little more for a while since I just got an e-mail with a huge amount of my high school classmates on it that I will be using to try and catch up a little after 35+ years. (Must be in a time warp, 'cause it sure doesn't feel that long) We'll see how many will friend me back. I can see how it might suck me in, but I have enough trouble keeping up here, so I think it will be pretty easy to resist

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

pfriese

Good questions Aamos. I'm still trying to figure out whether I want to invest to much time on it. 1. I agree, I like coming here (and KR) for running info and camraderie. I have a few running friends from here and locally on facebook, but it just doesn't seem to have the focus that you get on a running forum. 2. I mainly use facebook to keep up with my kids in New Orleans and Seattle. They are avid facebook junkies and it is an easy way to maintain close contact, plus get up-to-date instant pictures of the grandkids from it. 3. I avoid all sendy things. Paul
                      Interesting info, 'cause I've been trying to decide if I want to get involved with FB, as well. Mainly to keep in contact with a few friends and maybe find some old high school friends.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Maniac 505

I am kind of with you. Maybe it is just our generation, but I don't really trust it, and I don't really have the time for it. when applets ask for access to my personal information, I back away. I was able to connect with a few high school and college classmates, so that is cool, but other then that, I mostly just sort of do drive by facebook. but I do own ARF!
                          Have been on Facebook for a year or so........I have one sister that is on it quite often, another sister who thinks it is ridiculous. I have one daughter that loves it (college student) and one daughter who wants nothing to do with it. So there you have it......a split decision. I keep in contact with some old friends and lots of relatives in England. I think it is real popular in the UK. I'm not friends with my daughter on Facebook......she reminded me that it would be too wierd to have her mom as a friend on there. Big grin No pokes, super pokes or snowballs here either. O.K., I threw a couple of snowballs at people on Christmas Day. But I live in Florida what do you expect. As Spareribs said, I keep far, far away from the political/religious groups. As divechief just stated, I like to do a "drive by" on Facebook every couple of days just to check in. Jewels
                          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Renee the dog

Well I did take the "What Jimmy Buffett Song Are You?" quiz. First off, I loved the questionnaire. It had my kind of answers (along with the usual answers everyone else gives). And, it scored me as "One Particular Harbor" which is a song close to me. Smile Some some of the apps/quizzes are pure genius! Wink

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Henrun

I agree that Facebook is a good way to reconnect with old friends, schoolmates, etc. but it could take up a lot of time (and I'm retired) and there are better ways to use that time. I, also, ignore requests. It is generational and, I'm probably one of the oldest people I know on it.

King of PhotoShop

Ha! The power of Aamos. She no sooner asks the question than they change the user agreement! When I logged on this morning, there was the message at the top of the page, 'Because of Aamos, we are restoring the original agreements...." Spareribs