Masters Running

Wineglass Marathon, Corning, NY (Read 470 times)

Summary: 3:34:32 (8:12/mi, AHR 156)  BQ

We originally planned to run the old Breakers Marathon in Newport, RI.  After watching all the fuss we decided that it'd be fun to attempt to join Marathon Maniacs, so searched for another race two weeks on either side of Newport (Oct 18), that was driveable.  We found this one and another one very close to us on the Oct 3-4 weekend.  The other race was new, and they seemed to indicate it'd be a good idea to carry water, so opted for Wineglass.  At the time we didn't know that Karin (CNYrunner) would also be here as there wouldn't have been anything to think about at all.

Pasta Dinner: We were finally going to get to meet Karin Saturday night!  We met at Olive Garden, about 15 minutes outside of Corning.  What a delightful dinner that was!  We talked about everything and lingered at the table -- there was never that awkward pause where there was nothing to say.  

Saturday night I woke up every hour or so.  I don't know why I was surprised about being so nervous.  While I had no high pressure time goals, I was still about to run a marathon and as we all know that's not a walk in the park.  My nerves continued through the morning -- I'm sure I was driving Harriet crazy.  We rode a bus to the start in Bath, NY, as this is a point to point.  The start was in the parking lot of Philips Lighting Co, and Philips allowed use of their building to stay warm before the race.

It was a bit cold before the start, but we thought it would be colder -- expected 40° but it was more like 48° by the time we started.  No problem at all.

Fashion: Blue Race Ready Shorts over black compression shorts, salmon "Will Run for Beer" short sleeve shirt (I wear this every race)

Nutrition: I ate slice of banana bread and a banana at 5:30.  During the race, I had a crank and 2 ecaps about every 6 miles (see below)

I planned for 3:35 (8:12/mi) but to check myself about halfway through to see how I felt, and slow down if necessary.  Primary goal was to complete the race healthy, ready for the next race in two weeks, hoping for a respectable time.

1 - 7:58(140)

2 - 8:02(150)

3 - 8:02(151)

4 - 8:04(154)

As you can see, I found myself going too fast for a while.  The terrain was very easy, and it was difficult to hold myself back.  These miles felt great, that's for sure.

5 - 8:11(159)

6 - 8:11(160) - crank and ecaps

I finally caught myself for miles 5,6.  There was a slight hill just after milemarker 4 -- I'd expected it to be worse than it was (about a 40' climb in .25 miles), but this didn't bother me much.

7 - 7:55(158)

8 - 8:03(159)

9 - 8:05(158)

10 - 8:08(156)

I slipped back into the faster pace again for 7-10.  I briefly thought about trying to PR, but thinking about the next race helped me exercise some discretion.

11 - 8:10(156) - ecaps

12 - 8:14(153)

13 - 8:12(153) - crank

14 - 8:16(153)

15 - 8:10(154)

16 - 8:10(155)

17 - 8:13(155) - ecaps

18 - 8:14(155)

19 - 8:11(158) - crank

Finally on pace!

At mile 19 I had to stop to get the water because the stop was very short and they weren't paying attention.  But they did give me a 0.5 liter bottle which was very nice.

20 - 8:13(157)

Here I was starting to get a little tired, and there were some niggling pains in my knee and foot arch.  I decided it would be fine to slow down substantially.  I knew I would have several opportunities to BQ before 2011 (I'm already qualified for 2010), and there was no need to hurt myself in this race.  Like I said, primary goal was to finish this one healthy.

Also, with the water bottle, I stopped at every water stop (these were now coming one mile apart), to refill.  Not sure how long that took, but probably 10 seconds.  I've never done that before but it was sure good to be able to take water whenever I wanted rather than pouring into the side of my mouth out of those paper cups.

21 - 8:38(155)

22 - 8:32(156)

23 - 8:26(156) - ecaps

24 - 8:24(156)

Here the road had been scraped which made for uneven footing.  I didn't hurt myself, but this did take some of my strength and attention.  This lasted about 1/2 to 3/4 mile and I was sure glad when it was over.

25 - 8:10(159)

Oops.  Not sure where that came from.

At the 25 mile marker I did a quick calculation and decided, in fact, that I could BQ if I pushed it a bit.  

26 - 7:26(169)

27 - 2:15(182) [0.32=7:06]

I had plenty in the tank it seems.  In these miles nobody passed me and I passed quite a few people.  That was sure fun!   (Of course, some of them probably passed me in the previous 4 miles, but still...)

I left the chute, and knowing I had a bit of time before Harriet came in decided to look around for Karin.  I stopped by the food area but was absolutely not ready to eat yet.  Going back towards the chute I did find Karin and her friend.  We chatted a bit then I wandered away to get my gear.

When Harriet came in we got her warmed up and after a bit found the food again, then sat with Karin and her friend.  It was so exciting to hear her name as 1st masters woman!  Wow, she's fast!

We did finally say our goodbyes, but will meet again soon, I'm sure.

Thanks for reading!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Slo

Great Report Lou.

I love the pictures ! It sounds like you guys had a great time.....not to mention great races all the way around. The Wineglass looks like a very "hometown" type of atmosphere.

Thanks for taking the time to post the report !

I love how you and Harrriot have matching red shirts, matching black pants/skirt, and a matching wrist band under the Garmin.  How cute. 

Nice run Lou.  Even though you tried to rein in your pace, you are in such good condition that you ran faster than you planned and BQ'd.  If you feel recovered enough in two weeks, you might decide to go for a PR.  You have the condition for it.

Nice pictures, good times, and a fun race.  Sounds like a Success all the way around.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

All the pictures are great, but I esp. like the final one in your report of the two of you!  Runner's Fashion Weekly cover material, for sure!!

Great read -- thank you for taking the time to write it up.  Congratulations on another BQ!  Can't wait to hear about the next one in a couple weeks!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Thanks for the report and the great photos!  It's almost as good as having been there.

Excellent commentary on your results, too.  Glad you all had such happy trips.

And yes, congrats on the BQ!

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
            evanflein

Yeah after reading Karin's report I figured I'd check out Lou's because I KNEW he'd have pictures!! Nice race for you Lou, and the ability to recalculate and do math at mile 25 is very impressive indeed! Great report, nice pacing and a fun meetup with CNYrunner!  Congrats on the BQ for you (and PDR!!).

Great race and report, WRFB.  Congrats on your BQ.  It was neat you got to meet up with CNY.  Thanks for the pictures.

TomS

Fantastic report and what a great marathon.

Congrats on the BQ and good luck with the next one.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Tramps

So what I took away from this report is that, basically, you can BQ without even trying.  Geez, thanks for setting that bar.

Seriously, it's very impressive that you're able to turn in this kind of time for something you weren't even treating as an "A" race.  Nice work.

Wineglass was one of the races I seriously considered doing this Fall and now I'm a little disappointed I didn't pick it. Sounds like a nice day.

BTW, it was wise of you to avoid the unpleasantries Walt had written about.

Be safe. Be kind.

wow Lou -- you ran an amazing race and still had stuff left in the tank to crank out that speedy last mile!!  nice job - thanks for the pictures and making us feel part of the experience!! 

so happy to hear all these BQ's -- means i get to meet you all again when you come back to visit my stomping grounds!!!   Congratulations!!!!

denise

"Also, with the water bottle, I stopped at every water stop (these were now coming one mile apart), to refill."

On your way to a BQ, you stop every now and again to top off your water? That's amazing! You're a very strong runner.

Great report, and great pictures.

Walt

PS: Sorry for saying that you're 59.

SteveP

The RR is great! The pictures even better!!! Thanks

SteveP

Prince of Fatness

Great result and congrats on the BQ.  It's always great to meet fellow RAers, too.  Those pictures are great but I see a problem.  You all have long sleeve shirts and long pants on at some point.  What's up with that?  I thought that all marathons were run in hot weather.  OK, so I've run two and they were both hot.  No bitterness there.

Seriously I enjoyed the report and pictures.  Thanks for sharing.

Not at it at all. 

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Lou.. really enjoyable read!  That pacing was amazing and I liked how you slowed it down and then pedal to the metal at the end!  Great race!  Congratulations!!  Wineglass is now on the list, sounds wonderful!

Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Way to go Lou on a great race----I need some inner WRFB in my next target marathon---check out those splits and the control to pull it back.

It was great to meet you and Harriet and hang out a few times even. I am not really taller than you---it was the clogs on Saturday night. 

I think I blocked the part where the road construction had us running on that grooved uneven surface. That was awful! At that point in a marathon I feel like The Princess and the Pea and every crack in the sidewalk or bump feels like glass. That was NOT a fun stretch in an otherwise awesome course.

Good Luck at the next one and I'll see you both in Boston if not before!

Congratulations BQ buster.