Masters Running

Sunday, 3/31/2019; good-bye to March (Read 44 times)

Joe618

Lots of good activity on Saturday as we wrap up the first quarter of 2019

Avenger Doggie got his paws on the keyboard and told us about a great run in the woods with his friend Marley and his person and did five of something called a "mile".    But he's still waiting for ice cream.

CoastWalker did 5.65 quick miles and then snoozed to Joisey.

RunnerKSA is, inter alia, at a barrister briefing and signed the waiver to, risk-free, do 4 miles on the 'mill and then twang at Ryman.

RochRunner shows us the finer points of mud running and rests his achin' toe.

Bioguy does an easy 5 before helping kids get set for the Bio AP exam.   Those kids will thank you, even if they never do.

Jlynne is grateful, does 7.5 miles and skillfully redirects active grandsons.

Tet dons ankle weights and discovers his legs feel heavy.  Nap to follow.

Henrun walked, cycled and sang.   Not necessarily in that order.

Holly did weights and core and worried about a foot tendon.

dnaff took the dreary day off and enjoyed Avenger Doggie instead.

Twocat got in a six mile rehab run!!  That's awesome!!   And celebrated by pretending to enjoy a ballet.

Fattozzig shares the cat's artwork, worked a half day Saturday and did an hour of core.

Dave59 got in 4.397852 miles and won a date with a Stick.

Tramps ran 5K then did major core workout cleaning up a stump and starting up spring cleaning

MikeE is bouncing back from a speedy marathon and does 10 miles before watching slapshots from the blue line.

mrrun power-walked 6, biked, walked and cooked.

Falconfixer yelled "War Eagle" all through a quick 8.1 miles and did one on one spin coaching.   He did his own late-day recap, thanks!!

Surly Bill did 7 trail miles, looking at homes of the famous.   And he knows local bands.

Milktruck popped in to encourage us to carry ID.   In fact, almost everyone commented on RoadID and variants thereof.

deez4boyz celebrates a big birthday with pals and 6 miles!   Happy Birthday and glad it was so fun!!!

Mariposai runs a HM distance for training and enjoys a fine dinner, skillfully prepared with good friends.   That's a wonderful evening.

I ran a half marathon and stayed up late to watch Purdue lose in an agonizing way to Virginia.

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone!!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone,

Hi Joe.

I went 5.5 RW miles on a rail-trail in NJ this morning in 53° temps under cloudy skies, ahead of some incoming rain. We're going out to breakfast with our relatives and then heading back to NH.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

I ran a half marathon and stayed up late to watch Purdue lose in an agonizing way to Virginia.

But oh, my gosh. What a great, exciting game! I'm sorry Joe - Purdue played SO well. I've never seen so many 3 pointers. Tony Bennett played college ball here in GB. His dad coached here before he went on to UW-Madison. Just an incredible family. I remember Tony's last home game as a senior. His girlfriend was in the stands and when the game was over, he brought her down to the court, got down on one knee and proposed. Not a dry eye in the house!

Congrats on your successful race. It looks like you're primed and ready to go for Boston a week from tomorrow!

Safe travels home Jay.

I slept in this morning, waiting for it to get light outside. All of this talk about running with ID's has me thinking. Since I don't run with one and I'm older than dirt, I'm going to get one. But like Mike, people would probably say "there's that old lady who runs around here all the time laying on the side of the street. I wonder if we should check for a name or phone number to call her family. Oops - almost out of gas - gotta keep going"

Ended up out for just under 3 miles, now DH has promised breakfast at a great new place.

Have a great Sunday folks!

Mike E

MM #5615

Milktruck popped in to encourage us to carry ID. 

I just ordered mine.

Henrun

Great recap Joe and congrats on you HM. You’re ready for Boston.

I’m glad you’re all getting running ID’s.

Warmest part of the day with cooling temps, wind and rain this afternoon. Did 3 miles on the Newton hills (“Heartbreak&rdquoWink. Ran into Marj’s cousin who does the hills frequently. Hadn’t seen him for awhile and was glad to see he’s OK (as we age that’s always a concern).

Tramps

Avenger Doggie ...  But he's still waiting for ice cream.

Aren't we all.

Joe--another excellent half for you...with receipt. Fired up for Boston?

I dreaded so much finishing the same on the remnant stump .... that I put it off the planned morning effort until, at lunch break, making the mistake of reading tramps' post about the same so went back out with renewed commitment and finished the remaining digging and breaking it up into two more wheels barrowful.  Thanks Tramps for the needed incentive. 

LOL!  These days my running certainly isn't going to inspire anyone, so I'm glad at least my yard work can!

Surly Bill--interesting background info on CPD.

Mari--I confess, I've never heard of aged steak, so I read a bit. Interesting.

It's been raining all morning (which I why I'm here), so I don't quite know what I'm doing today. Maybe a short ride later if it ever clears up.

Be safe. Be kind.

Joe, do they really give you a printed "receipt" like that showing your results? And great results, BTW!

Typically around here, March came in like a lion and is going out like a bigger, meaner lion! So my honest intentions of going out to the lake and starting to recover my running condition were scrubbed due to the mid-20s temps and mid-20s wind gusts.

Anyway, I did put in 10 miles on the bike trainer and at least got my HR into the aerobic zone. Shoulda stayed in AZ...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

LOL!  These days my running certainly isn't going to inspire anyone, so I'm glad at least my yard work can!

I'm really easy to inspire nowadays but,

believe me, your running and cycling inspire me too.

ps - I've heard of aging game but how do you age beef

that's already been aged except to make jerky?

10 cycle miles + 1 mile run.

morning cycle across the floating bridge to the other side of the lake and down the lake shore for two miles to Hidden Park and first-of-the-year morning circuits of the beach-and-trails with the rising sun highlighting mallards, cormorants and rafts of thousands of scoters.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Interesting on dry aged beef, hadn't really thought about it. Apparently, no real benefit from more than 30 days and in fact it can get pretty "ripe" much after that.

HOW LONG TO AGE?

For tenderness: Whether using a wet or dry method, here’s the bottom line: in terms of tenderness, aging is most effective between 14 – 28 days. Studies utilizing the aforementioned Warner-Bratzler method show that any benefit starts to decrease after the 14 day mark, and by 28 days the change in tenderness is nearly negligible. So basically, any given piece of meat has a limit to how tender it can become, and it generally hits that mark within 28 days. In fact, wet aged meat that has been sealed too long will actually go beyond the point of tender, starting to decompose into unpleasant mushiness caused by rotting. I know, I know… gross.

For taste:  There are some pretty fancy restaurants selling steaks that have been aged for 60, 90 or even 240 days, and you can bet you’ll be paying a premium for their aging efforts. Since taste is so subjective, it’s nearly impossible to define the point where ‘sublime’ becomes ‘stinky’, and the bulk of the scientific research so far has been centred on tenderness, not taste. Having said that, general consensus is that 30-40 days of dry aging will bring out some incredible characteristics in your beef, and intensify the flavour. Sort of like a High Definition version of your regular steak.

Extended dry aging (I’m talking 100+ days… ) is an extremely personal preference, where older and pricier doesn’t necessarily mean better. One could argue that there’s something inherently wrong with your waitress merrily volunteering that the odoriferous reek coming off your plate is intentional. A super whiffy dry aged steak is a completely different eating experience to the traditional beefy steaks that are universally adored by carnivores worldwide. In fact, I’d compare extreme dry aging to a mega-stinky cheese (say, Epoisses, which has such a horrendously pungent odour that it has been banned from public transport in France) it’s not for everyone, and it’s ok if you don’t like it.

Great recap, Joe.  Purdue gave it their all.  Terrific season.

We get those "receipts" at most of our races around here.  A couple of our timing companies have a little trouble with accuracy and sometimes the chip times don't record- just the gun times.  It becomes an issue....

For anyone resistant to ordering up some kind of ID to carry, please go ahead.  Think of the family members not getting notified if something were to happen to you on your run.  Not to mention not being able to access your  medical records.

We left the hotel this morning at 8:00 am (paid to get the car out of the parking jail/hotel parking for $42 a day) and made the short hop across the river to our daughter's church to surprise her at her 8:30 service. She said she sort of expected us since she knew we were in town.  Her sermon had some mentions of her family (not all good Smile ) and she pointed out to her congregation that her parents were there.  It was an excellent sermon and a nice service.    Glad to get home to the animals.  Haven't run yet.  It's gloomy and unmotivating and I was sure I would run outside.  Now I'm not so sure.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Anzlo

Well, hello, long time no posting ... and no running.

But, I think I am back in the run .. Smile

Since my last run in August 2018, I struggled, walked only, trying to solve an intestinal diet issue. Thought solved, tried to run again in November briefly, no luck. After more diet modifications and walking only, another 3 months, I think I have found a diet routine that prevents the intestinal inflammation problem I was having, and it is a little weird, I am an outlier from the normal "non-inflammatory foods".

Enough of that, after 160 miles walking this year, and the last couple weeks with 20 miles of run/walk, I think I am good to go, albeit not likely the way I was prior to 2018. I hope to be able to run a 10K late summer, maybe a HM (probably run/walk this time around) next year, but marathons are probably a thing of the past for me.

For now no run/walk back to back days so I cycle between a run/walk day and a walk day with the hope of increasing my run time.

Anyway, if you can tolerate me coming back in, I love the support group here. Here's wishing you a greta week Smile

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

In fact, I’d compare extreme dry aging to a mega-stinky cheese (say, Epoisses, which has such a horrendously pungent odour that it has been banned from public transport in France) it’s not for everyone, and it’s ok if you don’t like it.

That brings back memories of my childhood, when for various occasions my grandmother would give my dad a jar of what we kids referred to as "Dad's stinky cheese." I can't recall its name, but it was sort of dry and shredded and came in a jar. He'd spread it on a piece of buttered bread if I recall correctly. My grandmother on that side was Swiss-born, so it's possible that she used to make it somehow (the jar sort of looked like a small mason jar). I'll have to ask my brother if he recalls the name.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Just to second evanflein post, dry aged steaks are terrific and my understanding is that wet aging is an inferior way to do it.

I think that I only fell asleep twice during yesterday's ballet.  Today I got out for 5 miles. Had to do it early. From late morning to this evening it is going to be raining around here. Next up grocery shopping. It is national clam day so I think we may go for that. Tomorrow may be twice baked potatoes with shrimp.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

pfriese

A half marathon for me this morning on a beautiful downhill point to point course in southern Oklahoma. Wind was at our backs most of the way making for a pleasant run. 1:54:01 & 3AG.

Paul

dnaff

Good running Joe and Paul; you guys knock off half marathons like they are nothing.  You show a great commitment to our sport.

I don't have a road id but I always run with my phone.  So because of you all, I just updated my ICE contacts and photos.  Thanks guys!

I just got back from what my husband and I call the "Naff 5k".  It's a great loop from our front door that includes a bike path portion so not much traffic.  The fact that it measures 3.2 miles is of no consequence.   The weather is a beast with 20mph winds and temps just below freezing but now that it's done I can say it was invigorating.  The comeback continues; it was my longest run in 2 weeks!