Masters Running

Monday, 8.6.12 (Read 394 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all,

Starr, you are welcome to our racewalking clinics any time - but you do have to come to NH. You could do worse...

We had "grillus interuptus" yesterday evening when all of a sudden someone pulled the ripcord and the clouds dumped rain on us. After a while, I ran out to rescue some veggies that were on the verge of getting overdone, and we all stood inside with appies, drinks, and good conversation till the rain slowed enough so I could venture back out and continue cooking. The rest of the barbecue went fine, but I was up too late last night, so I took this morning as a rest day.

Enjoy your Monday and the week to come.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

No run for me this morning. The "On-Call" phone was ringing at 2:30. I'm already 4 hrs into what will be a 12 hr workday.

We're still cleaning up after Saturdays storms. My garage project survived. We had all four walls up and half of the trusses. We knew the storm was coming so we had everything secured well.

Waiting for my Monkey notification.

Dave59

Nice cool morning 55°.  5.83 miles.

Are there too many Olympic sports?  I keep missing what I would like to see but seem to find the weird ones.  Trampoline?  Men's field hockey?  Really?

My youngest daughter came home for the weekend.  Picked-up most the rest of her stuff and was gone.  I guess I will see her at holidays now.  One down, one and a half to go. 

Dave59

Tried to hit "Modify" but hit "Quote" by accident.  Where is the "Delete" button when you need it,?

Mariposai

Black-eyed-susan pancakes, now that loos soo yummie.

Star, enjoy the bike rides. Which brand of bike shorts did you buy? I am shopping for one as well.

Slo-Hand, I remember those long on-call nights that turns into day. I sure don't miss that aspect of my former job as a medical interpreter.

Well, sorry about all the confusion about my avatar. Not wanting to start up the subject again, I will let the gift giver "twocat" explain the legend about the whisteling butterfly. If you want to see it close up, come to my house ").

Yesterday I drove for 2 hrs to meet up a friend to hike one of favorite trails in the North Cascades Range: Maple pass loop. My friend Amy and I were one of first people who hiked this trial as "trail testers" in the early nineties when they opened this trail. Since then, I try to hike it every summer. It is just a very special place to be nurtured by nature.

I found this video of the trek on Youtube. This is a lengthy video (about 6 minutes), but it can give you an idea of the beauty we enjoyed yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDpP8ygnvoA

Today is no running day for me. The legs are tired from the LR on Saturday and hard hike on Sunday.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

C-R

Monday rest day eh? Sounds good but I need more miles.

Glad you managed to keep your project safe during the storms Slo. If they were like our, it was a good one.

Bummer on the rain for the BBQ coast. 

Nice weekend efforts Mari and avatars are meant to confuse IMHO.

Good run Dave and I wonder if there are too many Olympic sports as well but they are fun to watch. Like handball. Only see it once every four years but it is fun to see.

Long weekend of volunteering at our church summer festival and soccer. Fun but busy. Managed to squeeze in a 5k too.

2 recovery miles this morning and will run again later.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Henrun

Jay, we had "Shakespeare interruptus" last evening at the Boston Commons as the rain came down. At least it's free and we'll try again soon.

This morning we both did a short run followed by a dr.'s appointment for me followed by a trp to Walden Pond for lowered humidity,sun, and wonderful swimming.
                Dove

The Dovenator

Good morning, good morning, good morning!!!

I'm getting back into a routine after a very busy few weeks. I ran the Tunnel marathon with Posai and Tet, then headed south to Arizona with my DS where we did lots hiking at the Grand Canyon. I caught a horrid cold at the Tunnel Marathon, and after several weeks of chest inflammation and severe coughing managed to crack a rib. OUCH! The cold gone now, but the rib pain isn't. I have a 24-hour race this weekend, thought I would need to cancel, but my doctor assures me I can run if I'm willing to shut it down if my pain becomes an issue. I think I'll be walking a lot.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Marathon Maniac #957

Dove - is the 24-hour a loop course?  You are one tough runner!

3 recovery miles in my V5Fs, followed by 30 minutes of light upper and core weights.

I am back to being "soccer-busy" again.  Tonight I will get home from work in time to pick up DD and get her to practice by 6pm, then take DS to his soccer somewhere else by 6:30 pm, then back to watch DD's practice finish, then back to pick up DS at the end of his soccer.  Tomorrow night is the same again......Roll eyes

Happy Monday! 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

We had a great weekend here, but not a lot of running.  Heat was about the same but we're in a humid stretch with no breeze so I got it all done, but no racing and nothing really long.  Did 9 yesterday and 5 today.

Today I had some fun on the Dallas News blog, posting that I am going to try to "get rid" of one of our area successful racers because I've put too many pics of her up on the site.  I invited readers to download the photo, Photoshop the woman out of the pic and substitute any image they want, for a free pair of socks to the most creative.

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/08/help-me-get-rid-of-laura-nelson-and-win-a-pair-of-feetures-socks.html/

The Rib Cage came in 7th out of 40 teams in the semi-finals of the local trivia challenge last night, so we move on to the Finals.  For your entertainment pleasure:  "It's the only world capital that starts with the letter i."   Spareribs

TammyinGP

Hi all!

Enjoyed a nice long wknd - took our son down to the Bay Area to enjoy a day at Great America. 12 hrs of amusement park rides. oy! He could have kept going.

Then we cruised through my husband's old neighborhood where he grew up. What was once a very nice neighborhood with well manicured lawns and trees has turned into the hispanic ghetto. He was shocked, but then it is a  neighborhood with 60 yr old homes. . .

now headed into a solid week of upper 90's and 100's. I think yesterday was 106. It was already almost 70 on my drive into work this morning.    

Tammy

Dove

The Dovenator

Dove - is the 24-hour a loop course?

Yes, 2.6 mile trail loop with some gentle rollers. Should be fun and more interesting than most of the short-loop,  flatter fixed-time races that I do.

"it's just like having fun, but different"

Are there too many Olympic sports?  I keep missing what I would like to see but seem to find the weird ones.  Trampoline?  Men's field hockey?  Really?

They just won't show anything "popular" during the non-prime-time hours. I'm also tired of tuning in during the day and seeing water polo or badminton. Sheesh!

Had another good run on my last day of running until next Monday (but I'll be doing lots of cycling). 8 miles in IRC at about 65F and sunny when we started at 8AM.

Have a good week everyone!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Did what I assume was 5 miles (garmin-less), a nice 65F, such a difference from yesterday's 93.  Felt sproinky even.

I DID get to watch the women's marathon as they aired it again at 3pm here.  Even though I had already looked up the reults, I still enjoyed watching it.  It really is a race of attrition eh?

So for a world capital, do you mean the capital of the world SR?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

King of PhotoShop

Good one.  No, just the capital of a country.   Spareribs